Are 144hz monitors a meme ? are they worth it if you mostly play online games...

are 144hz monitors a meme ? are they worth it if you mostly play online games ? the only downside I see is having a tn panel

Attached: best-144hz-monitor.jpg (544x297, 164K)

just see if you can try one. personally, i really like them but others think theyre a meme.

Yes, there's been no objective scientific proof it's better than standard 120 Hz ones. Hell most people can't even tell the difference between 120 and 60 hz ones. Resolution is more important imho. Rather have 8K 60hz monitor than 1080p 140hz one.

It certainly is much smoother. I get motion sick easily so there is a definite difference when I do not using these panels.

Just like how people have varying sharpness with their vision, people also have varying 'swiftness' with their vision.

First thing you should do is go on YouTube and look up 30fps vs 60fps comparison, and watch it on 1080p60.

The difference between 144hz and 180hz is night and day to me, but most of my friends can't even see the difference between 30fps and 60fps in that video! I'm the only person I know personally who can see 144hz.

So smooth and with g-sync it's a dream come true. Super smooth with zero tearing. Only downside is you need good hardware to hit these types of frame rates. Usually you'll have to lower some settings but ~100 fps is good enough.

My Samsung 144Hz monitor starts flickering if I actually set it to 144Hz instead of 120Hz. I think I got memed. If I wasn't so lazy and depressed I would return it.

anything past 144hz is a meme because diminishing returns, but 144hz itself isn't

on top of that some people apparently can't even tell the difference, see

Well, there are plenty of 8k 60hz monitors out there now, 4k 120hz is few and far apart, 120hz looks far better than 60, 60 lags the mouse on windows... it's awful, once you go 120hz, everything 60hz feels like 30hz does to you. You are right about 144hz though, looks the same, infact I think 90 looks the best, but variable refresh is great, I like being able to watch 24hz content at 136hz triple persistence.

I'm in the same exact situation. Fuck Samshit.

Depends on what games you play.
A lot of games are either locked to 60 fps or unlocked but you won't reach 144 fps due to performance requirements. So you'd need Freesync or G-Sync to prevent stuttering.

Fakk uuu
I spent $600 on my gsync 240 ( at release) and regret nothing

Attached: received_1113808945415477.jpg (1280x720, 38K)

75 FPS mustard race reporting in.

Depends on the game. If it's something intensive, then 144 is much better.

(OP)
>are they worth it if you mostly play online games?
If you play fast paced games? Absolutely. There is a significant competitive advantage.

>Hell most people can't even tell the difference between 120 and 60 hz ones.
anyone who can't tell the difference needs to get there eyes checked or is playing slow AF games that it doesn't matter in.
>A lot of games are either locked to 60 fps or unlocked but you won't reach 144 fps due to performance requirements.
It easy to get the famerate you need in the games that it actually matters if you are willing to sacrifice settings for a competitive advantage. (Pic related. The settings i play TF2 on)

Attached: 20180627132806_1.jpg (1920x1080, 375K)

Are VA panels bad for videogames? from what I know is that they have high input lag but is it true?

I've been looking into a VA 1440p 144hz monitor, MAG27CQ, it's advertised with a 1ms response time and as a "gaming" monitor.

>anyone who can't tell the difference needs to get there eyes checked
Agreed, although there are certain types of imagery e.g. panning first-person views that get the most benefit, they are have the most obvious difference and I reckon I would see the difference up to around 300Hz or more with such scenery.

The refresh rate that is specified by the manufacturer is not really a good indicator unfortunately. They always choose the fastest possible scenario which is the change from grey to grey.

>are 144hz monitors a meme ?
For most people, no.

Some people have very poor sight and cannot tell the difference though. Test it first.

Just by moving the mouse on the desktop, I can tell you if it's 60 or 120/144.
Some people don't.

30 vs 60 vs 120/144 is very noticeable. But I honestly don't see a difference between 120 and 144.

60hz is like trying to spread butter from the fridge on your toast.

144hz is like taking a warm knife and slicing through butter at room temperature.

180hz here.
Get on my level.

I literally have three times more FPS than most people do.
And since I have very good eyes, I can see it.

Attached: Capture.png (1243x696, 665K)

F O O D
O A N A L O G Y
O N
D A
L
O
G
Y

It's pretty simple.
Depends if you can see the difference or not.

Go to a store or a friend's that has a 120hz+ monitor on display.
Move the mouse around.
If you don't see the difference, you have shit eyes and wouldn't even enjoy high FPS.

So for you, it would be a meme.

But if you DO see the difference and go "holy shit", you will enjoy it and have good genes.

I use my 144hz for cs go because it doesnt screen tear like a 60hz will. I wouldnt ever downgrade to a 60hz panel its just too slow

audiophile tier delusion

Anything over 60 fps can't be perceived by human eye that's why console games are clocked at 60 fps.

>Anything over 60 fps can't be perceived by human eye that's why console games are clocked at 60 fps.
Can't even tell if you're trolling anymore, since I've seen people IRL that could not tell the difference between 30 and 60.

I pity thee, who cannot see what I see.

yo I have a 60hz display, how do I get that motion blur, that looks sick. playing dirt 3 btw

144 fps anime when?

Attached: GS_144HZ[1].png (850x540, 130K)

>144 fps anime when?
30 FPS anime when.

>What is NTSC/ATSC

24 fps when

>overclocked 60Hz monitors to 72Hz
>subtle but notable improvement while watching movies
>vidya too
>feels good
>try doing same to 55" 60Hz TV in tiny steps
>all good until 71Hz
>TV shits itself at 72Hz
>r[e]

My laptop has a 120 hz 2k screen.
My desktop has a 144hz 2k. they both look fine and I never notice the difference

>>subtle but notable improvement while watching movies
What.
What movies do you watch that go over 60 FPS?

>overclocked 60Hz monitors to 72Hz
>subtle but notable improvement while watching movies

Oh gee, my 24FPS movie sure looks better at 72Hz than it is at 60Hz.

Snake oil retard

I played on 144 for a year and then switched to a 60 monitor and didn't notice a difference

24 goes into 72 evenly, not 60. This means that without Freesync/Gsync you will experience judder during your movie. At least for Blurays and streaming anyway with native 24fps, DVD uses 3:2 pulldown for NTSC movies.

>I played on 144 for a year and then switched to a 60 monitor and didn't notice a difference
Sucks to have shitty eyes.

what's a good 1440p 144hz monitor? i'll buy one right now. does ips vs va honestly matter for video games? because i'm thinking of buying a 4k ips screen for my photography too. just need a meme tier gamer monitor