How many of you actually use this? Is it worth learning at all...

How many of you actually use this? Is it worth learning at all? And if I do learn it is it a wise idea to list it as a skill on my resume?

Attached: latex.png (428x144, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cs.vu.nl/~ast/home/faq.html
oreilly.com/openbook/utp/
home.windstream.net/kollar/utp/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's great for PDFs and it looks great. The learning curve is about understanding the syntax, but once you figure that out, it becomes more about making sure you structure your tex document to be readable.

Only autists use latex in 2018, usually in a librebooted chinkpad running a riced i3. Just get office 365 or use google docs.

Yes I use it for academic papers and also my thesis. Its essential for long documents or situations where precise type setting is needed. Its quite lacking when you need to collaborate with multiple authors as compilation of complex documents often requires specific compiler settings.

Attached: 1214507815284.jpg (600x750, 77K)

>Is it worth learning at all?
if in academia: yes
else: no (sadly so. You'll only get depressed when you have a corporate job that "sells" 100000$ reports that are ugly word concoctions that drive everyone writing them insane)
>And if I do learn it is it a wise idea to list it as a skill on my resume?
no. In (STEM) academia, it's expected anyways (or expected that you simply learn it in a day) and in corporate HR will just think you felt it necessary to list a weird fetish.

I use groff.
>is it a wise idea to list it as a skill on my resume
No just make your resume with it

This use groff (better yet heirloom-troff) it's already installed on your system. No need to download 2Gig of packages to write a paper.

After learning LaTeX using a word processor of any kind will make you want to blow your brains out, I speak from experience.

Yes and make sure to use the \LaTeX command :^)

It is pretty good. Just the other day I misread the type of a lecture and brought my keyboard instead of the graphic tablet. Had no problems writing all the formulas in LaTeX.

cs.vu.nl/~ast/home/faq.html
Real Authors use troff

Attached: myimage.png (1180x290, 42K)

faaaaaaaaaaaaaag

I've never used it. only Word.
Is it worth learning before laboratory assignment?

no, it's worth learning over a break though.
It shouldn't take more than a week to get the basics down, but really if you use GNU Linux just use troff.

No one is falling for your bait, hope you feel bad and useless.

>and in corporate HR will just think you felt it necessary to list a weird fetish
I don't want to work somewhere where they're kinkshaming anyways

>>is it a wise idea to list it as a skill on my resume
>No just make your resume with it
This.
If you're in university, learning it is a good idea. If you hand in Latex-typeset math homework, your professor will love you. Also, this is how you should write your thesis/dissertation.

>It shouldn't take more than a week
It shouldn't take more than an hour if you're not a brainlet

There is like 2000 macros in Latex.
Nobody writes in Tex.

I learned asciidoc to replace using word. One day tutorial and I was able to reproduce CV exactly like it was in microsoft word.

It's more powerful than markdown but less autistic than Latex. I could say that is a good alternative if you want to replace word. There is a great add on in VSCode for preview and it also has syntax highlighting

I stopped use LaTeX after I discoverd Org-mode

i'd rather learn roff since that comes with almost every *nix

unfortunately i'm too much of a brainlet

I used it throughout my time at university, for everything from basic papers to full reports with tikz for diagrams, and I liked it a lot. I didn't list it on my resume, mostly because I wasn't really sure what kind of job I was looking for, and just listed things more obviously related to programming.

The job I have settled on does involve working with documentation, but using an XML-based specification called S1000D, and I've come to like that more than LaTeX, for the specific kind of technical documentation I deal with at least. The main thing I like over LaTeX/troff is the focus on semantics, and the separation of content and presentation. LaTeX/troff are mainly typesetting tools, and even though you can write purely semantic LaTeX, the tools to work with it that way are pretty limited, and that's not its main purpose.

That said, where I do still use LaTeX/TeX is as an alternative to XSL-FO for certain kinds of PDF output. So I'll author in S1000D, and transform that to TeXML (XML representation of LaTeX/TeX) and finally run it through standard pdflatex/xelatex/etc. to produce the PDF. Or, I'll transform to DocBook and use pandoc's -t latex to make a PDF. It offers less control than TeXML since you have to go through the subset of things that pandoc recognizes, but it's great for something quick.

>unfortunately i'm too much of a brainlet
oreilly.com/openbook/utp/
By tim oreilly himself. There is a secton on raw troff and sections on the ms mm packages.

oh neat thanks

More and more of my colleagues are passing to markdown + pandoc (+ style file if you feel like it)

The dat project paper is a good example.

Welcome, actually they transcribed the ugly scans in the links i gave you into groff and made it pretty
get it here.
home.windstream.net/kollar/utp/

I use it for my CV, much easier to add to without changing the format much

DocBook !!

So you mean asciidoc.
Which is what Oreilly publishing recommends to create docbook XML.

Nigger, I posted this thread on /sci/ yesterday.

it's absolutely vital if you do anything that matters.

> How many of you actually use this?
Any one who does anything of academic relevance in fields the use advanced mathematics.
> Is it worth learning at all?
If you have to ask, probably not. But it's easy as fuck so you might as well.
> And if I do learn it is it a wise idea to list it as a skill on my resume?
Do you write that you are able to read on your resume? No? Then don't write this either.

It takes fucking 30 minutes to 2 hours to learn. Its really not much harder than word. "Learn" is fucking pushing it

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 169K)

cuck authors need to use what their publisher requests

A
L T X
E

Publishers are either "doc pls" or "look, just send us it on paper however you like and we'll sort it out."

thats why real authors use Unix and Troff to produce camera-ready manuscripts. Real authors take control of the whole process.

Attached: myimage.png (1418x293, 38K)

If you are in academia you will be forced to use it. I used it for my thesis.

For writing homeworks or workshops for my students I use org-mode or markdown (with pandoc).

Also posters, articles and other pieces of documentation.

One would say that sharelatex is a good site for multiple people writing/editing/preparing stuff.

R Markdown
/thread

You don't need to learn 2000 macros to make one paper. Figure out which ones are necessary to making a decent document, then research the ones that you need to use for specific things such as equations.

>Figure out which ones are necessary to making a decent document, then research the ones that you need to use for specific things such as equations.
Yes, I know. Takes about a week to git gud at that.

Meanwhile troff already has macros ready to roll. I know .PP starts a paragraph with the proper indentation right off...

used in university when i worked with programmers or other engineers in cross field curses. I'm studying rail and logistic engineering, and LaTeX is too generic for politicians, so not for that.

I used it to write my master thesis on guidance from phd students. Several classmates lost work on crashing Word docs... that was over 20 years ago and haven't touched it since.

It is worth it, although these days I use org-mode for everything.

It's an amazing tool, but special characters of my 2nd world language must each be encapsulated into a function to work, as well as many everyday symbols so I usually just use LibreOffice unless I have a ready text that won't ever be altered.
Texmaker is a great place to start since it also has a gui with plenty of commonly used stuff, which lets you learn the syntax easily.
Yes. It won't take more than a week to get used to it. Just write some sample papers.
You should always list as many things as possible, that are relevant to your field. So, yes.

I used it for my bachelor thesis.
Imo it's not something you "learn", it's normal markup, you get the basics in 5 minutes and then if you need some special command just look it up.

Also nowadays you don't even have to instal anything, if you use ShareLatex or Overleaf.

Wrote several undergrad project reports, my masters thesis, and finally my 300 page PhD thesis using latex - so yeah, I use it. Papers are generally written using latex as well, through overleaf.

Pretty powerful and capable once you know how do work it, of course useless to anyone not willing or capable of learning its ways.

org-mode is awesome
even wrote my thesis in it

lyx supports all of unicode

>Its quite lacking when you need to collaborate with multiple authors as compilation of complex documents often requires specific compiler settings.
Overleaf supports multiple authors at the same time much like google docs does it.
Never had problems with it and it's really neat.

>ts quite lacking when you need to collaborate with multiple authors as compilation of complex documents
unix users generally know a version control system like git.

I've been trying to get into it, but darn does it have a curve.

.tex files, .sty files, .cls files and everything else.. It's overwhelming!

Attached: 1431779442027.jpg (693x468, 201K)

.sty = .h
.tex = .c

Just read the mm section of and switch to groff.
It'll take about an hour nobody outside of math uses latex.

> Office 365
Welcome To The Botnet

>It'll take about an hour nobody outside of math uses latex.
well beamer is pretty good. could probably be achieved in roff, though.

If it's about taking control of the whole process what's the difference between using troff and plain TeX

Nothing, but real authors use troff.

I'm pretty sure many more books have been published using LaTeX, so I'm asking why I should learn troff over LaTeX.

>I'm pretty sure many more books have been published using LaTeX
Pretty sure you're wrong.
Plus groff is part of coreutils, so every GNU/Linux distro has it installed by default

>/threading yourself

pathetic

>Is TeX worth learning?
Learn it only if you need to. It's not that hard, but none of the advantages of TeX are life changing.

I would include STEM in general as opposed to just maths... It's used extensively in Physics, Chemistry and some Engineering journals I've submitted to.

Outside of some academic journals which insists on TeX, I can't think of any situation which demands the use of TeX.
More often than not, you will have to work with someone who insists on working with Word (or Powerpoint) and you can't really tell them otherwise (like if they're a paying client).

>If given a choice. do I prefer to work with TeX rather than Word (or Powerpoint).
Yes in most situations, but that is because I'm fairly proficient with TeX documents after working with them a lot. However, I don't think it's worth the effort in learning TeX if you don't NEED to use it.

The syntax is as hard as learning HTML, so it's not hard at all.
I was using it because it makes writing academical paper so much easier, but I just moved to overleaf because it makes easier to synch my research with my professor remotely without actually having to go to university.

Other than that... No? I was doing fine until last year with Vim + zathura + libreoffice + google docs.

this looks legit pretty cool.

Attached: quicktourexample.png (2186x1498, 551K)

Latex is a waste of time.
It used to be necessary for typing up math-heavy papers, but Word has gotten a lot better with that now.

I personally used it to write up a numerical methods assignment and I don't want to touch it again. You spend hours googling how to do simple things like change the margins of a document, and more hours editing & compiling and making sure the changes you made are actually what you want

Just use markdown, or, the ascended way, Emacs org-mode.

eh doesn't look much better than asciidoc from 2001. Of course I can't use inline latex since I don't have latex installed.

Attached: myimage.png (1430x870, 98K)

>special characters of my 2nd world language must each be encapsulated into a function to work
Both lualatex and xelatex completely support Unicode.
There are even packages for specific languages now, so I can write in Russian directly.

got bored; installed latex.
Holy shit is that a big package.

But yeah, asciidoc works pretty well.

Attached: myimage.png (1440x866, 89K)

>How many of you actually use this?
I do, around a paper every month.
You don't actually have to learn anything to be honest, see bellow.
No, it'll sound weird and no one is interested in your abilities to create pretty PDFs

>Overleaf
This. It's as easy as using Google docs. Just search for a template that fits your needs, replace the text and boom, paper done and ready to be published. It makes even bibliography something piss easy to do.