pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help
>State the budget for your build
>List your uses- e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work

Overclocking
>DON'T BUY AN 8000K CPU OR Z300 BOARD IF YOU AREN'T OVERCLOCKING
>Delid 8000K
>Use Precision Boost Overdrive & BCLK increase for Ryzen 2000X
>Use a real stress test & trustworthy temp software- e.g. IntelBurnTest & Core Temp (DO NOT USE SPECCY)

CPUs
>2200G- Bare minimum gaming (dGPU optional)
>2400G- Consider if close to 2200G price
>2600/X- Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>2700/X- Best mixed usage
>8700K- Best for gaming, but most expensive platform & delid necessary
>Threadripper/used Xeon- VM work/streaming/video editing

Motherboards
>Don't buy A320 (All Ryzen are unlocked)
>Only Z300 Intel boards can utilize memory over 2666MHz

RAM
>8GB- Enough for most gaming use
>16GB- Standard for heavy use
>32GB- Too much for most users
>2933MHz is ideal; 3200 CL14 is B-die

Storage
>StoreMI can make HDDs better
>Consider getting a larger SSD instead of SSD+HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 might be SATA or PCIe
>PCIe/NVMe for intensive use only

Video cards
>SLI & CrossFire are unadvisable
1080p
>1050 Ti, 1060 3/6GB, or 570/580
>1070 or Vega 56 for 100+ fps
1440p
>1070/Ti or Vega 56/64
>1080 Ti for 100+ fps
2160p
>1080 Ti

Power supplies
>Fully modular is very convenient
>80+ Platinum is overpriced

Monitors
>Explain purpose- e.g. photo editing, gaming
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>G-SYNC only with high budget/GTX card
>Consider FreeSync with RX cards/APUs
>Low refresh rates benefit less from better CPUs

Previous:

Attached: Casemodding_microwave.jpg (586x380, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/JKc48d/sapphire-nitro-radeon-rx-vega-64-directx-12-100410ntsr-8gb-2048-bit-hbm2-pci-express-30-video-card
youtube.com/watch?v=H0L3OTZ13Os
intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc7i7bnh-16gb-optane.html
pcpartpicker.com/product/RgVBD3/silverstone-rvz03b-mini-itx-desktop-case-rvz03b
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Ryzen

Attached: Varg.jpg (542x480, 68K)

Attached: 1502343883918.jpg (6000x3376, 3.46M)

kys

Attached: 1501250462016.png (600x600, 32K)

Holy FUCK I bought a CRYORIG m9i from their "newegg marketplace" and it's now on pace to take TEN FUCKING DAYS to get here. What the fuck happened to newegg? I'd rather get jewed by Amazon and their taxes than use it again

>GTX 1080 removed from pasta
Good work OP.

What's the best Win10 activator out there? I heard KMSPico forces you to deactivate antiviruses and firewall and constantly runs on the background.

Why would you want to use wangblows?

I'm a useless whose just trying to play some pre 2007 games and not have my computer freeze up on me. Low budget option would be nice, but if i ever do come across a large sum of money i'd like to be able to upgrade without scraping everything.

Attached: apZ_3L-mTzSqE7_7oXtmhP2oHxDMA-GhgrLWIOSUN5k.jpg (320x320, 22K)

This is a triumph.

Microsoft toolkit

Microsoft Toolkit, create an account on My digital Life forums and Google for the official MS Toolkit thread there

This is a triumph.

2 dollar legit key for ebay

Attached: 4k-gaming.png (602x642, 214K)

>4k
>"gaming"

This is a triumph.

When is the best time to build a gaming desktop? With the prices i see it seems better to go console. Though i could pirate to offset.

Finally the trapposting faggot is gone.

Give him some time to rest, he'll be back tomorrow.

Is the $100 jump from the Ryzen 5 2600X to the Ryzen 7 2700X worth it? Or how about the +$20 from R5 2600 to R5 2600X?

I've always been an Intel guy, so I don't know what to compare with AMD.

Also what cooler would you recommend for any of these if I am considering overclocking?

Attached: 1528964634876.png (946x946, 733K)

This is a triumph.

4k is better than high frame rates

This is a triumph.

I regularly hear about how slow RAM (2400mhz?) causes a Ryzen CPU to perform terribly?

Does Ryzen outperform Intel enough gaming wise with fast RAM for it to matter?

I want to spend around $1500 on a new computer, can someone run over this cart? I'm not interested in overclocking unless I can get a super stable build that won't need to be monitored

I'm teetering between
>1070TI or a 1080
>Ryzen 2700 or i7-8700
>Liquid or Air for the CPU
>8GB vs 16GB
>Cheaper Mobo

I've never spent more than $800 on a computer, and I want to really get the bang for my buck, and I wan't to be mostly future proof. I have a 60hz 1080 monitor, and might consider upgrading to a 1080 120/144hz down the road.

I do a lot of video editing, audio production, multi-tasking, and casual gaming (Overwatch, Dota2, WoW).

Attached: build1.png (1110x803, 172K)

You need fast RAM and even more on a cooler for i7.

2600X build with 16GB of b-die is going to cost ~$50-$100 more or so than an 8400 with 16GB of RAM. 8700k is going to be yet another ~$270-$350 more for the more expensive board, CPU, and cooler.
Pretty big performance increase for $50-$100 more going from an i5-8400 to a 2600X. Not very much for spending a whole lot more on the 8700k, especially when you'll generally be GPU bottlenecked at that point anyway.

Console's aren't a PC alternative.

>worth it
For wHAT?
>Also what cooler would you recommend for any of these if I am considering overclocking?
You mean use PBO. Stock is fine. Upgrade from that if you feel you really need it.

2400MHz causes all CPUs to perform comparably terribly in gaming, not just Ryzen.
Intel shills like to say Ryzen NEEDS fast RAM because it SUPPORTS fast RAM on cheaper boards. b360 Intel boards only support 2666 as max so they try to pretend it doesn't matter, when it clearly does.

Webdev soi boy here. Do more cores help with "compiling" node.js applications? I know javascript itself only runs on a single thread, but node.js translates the javascript into C++ before actually running.

Attached: compiling.png (413x360, 28K)

Really really really don't want buyers remorse, I've had it with every build I've done in that $800 range and my goal is to be 100% satisfied with what I've got.

A gaming PC is only a big investment if you never plan to use it outside of playing games.
If you use a PC for other work/hobby related it's really only a small amount more to make it capable for games.

So many problems here.

>js itself only runs on a single thread
Um you can make it multithreaded
>compiling
Yes, those will compile faster but those modules tend to be rather small and compile fast on any modern CPU.
> but node.js translates the javascript into C++
Huh? It's JIT compiling. I thought you meant modules like installed by npm which are often C++.

Why the $170 board and $156 cooler for a locked CPU?
Yes, you were definitely going to have buyer's remorse after realizing how much you fucked up.
Also, don't buy Gigabyte anything. Those cards are loud and annoying sounding.
PSU sucks.
You don't have an SSD.
Build, ergo, sucks.
>never spent more than $800 on a build
Then do you even have a monitor that can display what you're trying to drive? You'll need a monitor that's about $450-$700 if not more.

Do any of you actually buy windows os or just pirate it?

>mfw still using 2500k
waiting for 7nm baby

Attached: 1457799453790.jpg (415x550, 93K)

Windows is FREE

you ruin these threads with your petty condescension

1. You should look into an AMD CPU, they would be better for what you're looking to do. If you want to stick to Intel then look into an 8600k or 8700k.
2. Z370 boards are for overclocking, the 8700 is a chip that can not be overclocked. You'd want to either go for an 8700k or a different motherboard.
3. If you're not looking to upgrade your monitor for a bit you should look into downsizing that GPU to a 1060 6GB which will be perfect for 1080p/60hz for years. Pocket the remaining cash and invest in into a monitor/graphics card combo in a year or so.
4. Bronze power supplies, especially at that wattage, are bad ideas for a GTX1080 or i7 that has a large power draw because they're inherently inefficient and may not be able to provide the power you need to keep the system running.
5. You'll want a 250gb SSD at least to accompany that HDD. Even a SATA SSD will give you a boot time in under 15 seconds.
6. That CPU cooler is overkill for that processor. You can save a lot of money by downsizing it.
7. RAM looks good.

Might as well just buy a PS4 or Xbox and get a keyboard and mouse. People who build desktops strictly for gaming usually regret the decision. Build one if you want to do computer stuff in addition to gaming.

>4k is better than high frame rates
Maybe for Netflix, not games

>>worth it
>For wHAT?
i just want to have a processor for gaming that will hold me for 4+ years

Ryzen R5, R7 or Coffeelake i7. Pick your poison.

I may sound like an idiot for asking this, but I guess that's the good part about anonymity. I've heard about copatibility issues with things like drivers and hardware with aMD compared to intel. I am also using an nvidia gtx 1070.

R5 2600X sounds like a good bargain. I am wondering if I will run into any driver issues or lose out on any major features due to changing from an intel processor.

To elaborate, if looking at the 2600 or 2600X, the small premium to the "X" nets you a worthwhile cooler and Performance Boost which is an auto overclocking feature that yields good results.
If I was looking for a long term gaming CPU today, I'd gun for a 2600x.

No stupid questions here. A lot of those compatibility issues are bound to the first "1000" series Ryzen, from what I understand the Zen+ 2000 series has a lot fewer compatibility issues.

will a Corsair h80i cool a delidded 8700k well? I want to put my itx build in a sugo sg13, so ill have to change out my Noctua d9l

It'll be close to capacity, but it'll manage. Depending on Vcore, I'm sure if you were to put on a stress test like Prime95 it would slowly run away with temperatures, but for general use it'll be fine. At least the H80i has one of the thicker radiators so it has a greater coolant capacity to soak heat.

2600X will still surely be good for 60fps+ gaming for 4+ years and if that's what you're looking for, there's no reason to spend more. But I'd be looking more toward the 7nm 3700X next year for something that will likely drive much higher framerates for much longer.

CPUs don't really have drivers. There are chipset drivers, which is the board itself. CPUs are x86-64 so pretty agnostic to anything.
Only issues Ryzen had is memory compatibility. It's still a slight problem with the 2000 series, but not major.

I'm unaware of any corsair AIO not being trash. idk. Prove me wrong I suppose. But either way, I don't see how a single fan 120mm radiator is going to outcool a 120-140mm air cooler.

Any Vega cards out there that aren't $100-150 dollars over MSRP?

Okay, how about this instead?

Attached: build2.png (1117x890, 188K)

>CPUs don't really have drivers. There are chipset drivers
I actually knew that, but I guess I just wanted some assurance that having AMD and nvidia in the same PC wouldn't result in something funky since they are competitors.

Any recommendations for motherboard? I've already got an idea for RAM, but always had trouble picking those.

Most of the AIB cards are under their original MSRP now.

Reference launch MSRP was fake because AMD is retarded at marketing sometimes.

Isn't the stock cooler better than that AIO?
Why only 250gb?

I'm still also pretty sure that you're on a 1080p 60fps monitor and paying a ton of money to put out frames that your monitor can't display.

Like I said, I plan to upgrade to 120/144hz down the road, but probably stay at 1080, maybe 1440p

You can fit a bigger aio, or a 120mm air cooler int the core v1, so I would be looking at something else in a core v21. Pretty sure you can get a d15 with 185 mm clearance

Really? I haven't been keeping up with GPU prices lately and just assumed they were still price gauging for Vegas mining potential since I'd see 56 cards going for 500 when MSRP was 400 and a similar story with 64. Knowing that the MSRP is bs now I'm probably going to go with this card: pcpartpicker.com/product/JKc48d/sapphire-nitro-radeon-rx-vega-64-directx-12-100410ntsr-8gb-2048-bit-hbm2-pci-express-30-video-card

>that having AMD and nvidia in the same PC wouldn't result in something funky since they are competitors
Lmao, there's nothing to worry about.
>Any recommendations for motherboard?
What's your budget?
>I've already got an idea for RAM, but always had trouble picking those.
Anything 3200mhz C14 if you can afford it.

That looks really good. I think you'd be very happy with that build and it will last you for years

for the mobo and RAM i want to spend about $380 or so. i'm only upgrading, not building a new rig. was thinking about just stealing this user's RAM which would mean i'd be left with about $180

If you plan to get a new monitor, you should be getting Vega and not a 1070ti/1080 because the monitors are ~$150-$300 cheaper when it come to 1440p.

MSRP for Vega56 was $500 and there are Vega56 models for $450-$500.
The $400 MSRP was some bullshit "promotional MSRP" thing for just preorders.

The shitty AMD marketing idea was probably hoping they'd get better reviews on the price:performance at $400 at the time, but reviewers didn't fall for it.
But a year later with better drivers and a year of new game releases that all seem to favor it, and given how much the competition costs, $450-$500 is a decent price now if you can't wait until next year to make a PC.

I really don't know why AMD didn't simply make a triple fan model for reference Vega56 that'd actually perform well and be worth that price. The thing that made it seem like a $400 card at the time was the fucking blower and stock voltage being too high for gaming.

MSI gaming pro/plus for cheapest
b350 board for actual cheapest, but you'll likely need to update BIOS either by RMAing the board, getting bootkit from AMD, or having a local shop update it for hopefully $15 or free.
ASRock Master for best value, unless ASUS strix/pro are on sale closer to its price.
Crosshair VII for best.
Avoid Gigabyte entirely.

>MSRP for Vega56 was $500
*Vega 64
MSRP for Vega 56 is $400

Where's the best place to sell an old GPU? I've got a GTX 660ti in my garage just sitting there and am wondering if I could make a quick buck or should just sell it.

No.
Read.
Vega 64 was $600. $500 was just promotional MSRP for preorders.

That was never confirmed one way or the other, just rumors everyone believed. The only reason those rumors held any water is because prices shot up after initial release completely due to the mining apocalypse at the time. Show me proof the MSRP changed that isn't a rumor article and I'll admit I was wrong.

>I've got a GTX 660ti
>He bought a Kepler card
Just send it in for electronics recycling. Kepler was a shit architecture that has not aged well

>ASUS strix/pro
This one, right? Says ROG and has a much lower price than ASRock Master, so just want to be sure it's the right one.

Attached: 1526467665365.jpg (1265x534, 200K)

He meant the X470-F Strix being on sale.

B450 launches next month.
B350 works, but needs a Bios update and doesn't come with the license for StoreMI. Only 400 series chipsets come with a StoreMI license.

It wasn't confirmed, but it was all but confirmed. Prices were suddenly $100 higher after preorders. No one could get them at that price. Could only get them bundled with games or a monitor.

It was a promotional MSRP but AMD didn't want to admit it.
Fact is, almost no one got those reference cards at the supposed MSRP. And compared to a 1070Ti and 1080 prices now, Vega56 at $450-$500 is a good value.

Thinking you were going to get a better AIB card for the price of a shit reference blower is kind of retarded, whether it was really a promotional MSRP or not, anyway. I paid like $80 over MSRP and then another $70 for a cooler for my 7970 almost 7 years ago. Was worth it.
But personally I wouldn't buy ANY of those cards now if you have a serviceable GPU and can wait. Next year is going to have much better GPU choices. But if you've got nothing and are building a new PC now, Vega56 is good performance for the price you pay. Just not so much when it comes to upgrading from something that's already decent, but something new yes.

That's b350. There's an x470 one.
But that's not a bad board at all, you just might have to update BIOS for it to work on a 2000 series CPU. Worth getting over the cheap MSI board if you can go through the possible extra waiting and effort.

>It wasn't confirmed, but it was all but confirmed.
gotcha. I was right MSRP is still $400
Until AMD comments otherwise, the price increase was directly related to the mining boom

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm gonna go with that mobo for my upgrade. As long as it can handle the parts on the list, I'm happy with it.

Only concern I had was a comment saying that you can't set the voltages and will have to use "reduce voltage by using offset headers." I'll just see how it all performs once everything arrives and then I'll try and find a guide if I feel like OCing the 2600X. Hopefully it's true that you can OC with stock coolers, I'd hate to go over budget.

Attached: 1529539287726.png (1183x773, 169K)

Craigslist and that card only has 2GB of RAM I'll give ya fiddy for it

Use your savings to get a bigger SSD. 500GB MX500 is only $110. 1TB twice that.

RAM is expensive. You can get 3200 CL14 RAM for just a few bucks more, or get cheaper RAM.

>I'll try and find a guide if I feel like OCing the 2600X
Just turn PBO on in the BIOS. afaik that BIOS got updated to support it. I wouldn't OC an X CPU the old way as you'll end up underclocking the 2 core boost. The new way is better.
>only voltage offsets
Offsets are better with PBO anyway.

that board is so cringeworthy please get another

>No PS/2 ports
>only 8 USB ports
>Only one m.2

sounds so uncomfortable to me desu

I've already got an SSD, but I would be interested in getting the best RAM I can. Got one or two particular names to drop?

I haven't needed a PS/2 port in years and have pic related despite only using 4 USB slots on my PC 90% of the time. I only have one SSD anyway and don't really intend on buying another for a long time, so I don't see the concern about the single m.2 port.

Attached: 1508754639431.png (350x350, 113K)

filter 3200 CL14 in pcpartpicker and get the cheapest or the one you like the most for whatever reason.

Those are all B-die, which is the best and has the best compatibility with Ryzen.

I can't be convinced to get a AMD GPU.

Here's my next revision.. I'm selling my current PC for $350-$400 hopefully, and that'll go towards a 2TB storage drive, and a new monitor.

Any last minute "you could do better than that" 's?

Well I'll still sleep on it til Friday, but yeah.

Attached: build3.png (1111x924, 188K)

Isnt that cl 16? You can get cl 14 for the same price

>I can't be convinced to get a AMD GPU.
youtube.com/watch?v=H0L3OTZ13Os

Wait yeah, I was actually going to ask if someone can point me towards a proper B-die kit.

I don't see the point of trying to force CL14 so hard. Everywhere I've looked has said it doesn't make much of a difference outside of min-maxed benchmaking.

There's no cheap Vega's on Amazon so that draws it for me

Yeah I've noticed some cards get close to AMD's advetised MSRP but they're always shitty blower cards that look straight out of 2010 and run like a furnace, best third-party coolers seem the be the usual AMD card manufacturers Sapphire, XFX and Powercolor.

Why would you buy from Amazon and not Newegg? You pay more in tax and things often cost more even without it.

$480 for the Powercolor Vega56 Red Dragon isn't bad. It has a lottery for Samsung HBM.
With Hynix HBM, you're still getting performance that's like +/- 5% of a 1080 when undervolted and overclocked. If you win the lottery, you get even better performance than a 1080 for cheaper.

Hell, Vega 56 + Freesync 1440p 144hz IPS costs the same as a fucking 1060 + Gsync 1440p 144hz IPS, let alone the cost of what a 1080 with one of those overpriced monitors costs.

I don't understand how there's even any sort of argument when you can get Vega56 and monitor for the cost of 1060 and monitor, when the Vega56 is like 60-75% higher performance.
Only thing I can understand is that 70-200 fps isn't good enough for someone at 1440p and they need 80-260fps so they get the 1080Ti and spend $1400-$1600 on gpu and monitor instead of $780-$900. Since at that point you're throwing value proposition out the window and you don't care about being able to use local dimming monitors or having two monitors that aren't the same refresh rate etc.

>tfw you forgot to return a shitty tn monitor that you only bought for for comparison

T-those milliseconds a-are worth it guise!

is there a way to still get free win10 upgrades like the days of old? I know they supposedly close the upgrade window some time ago but I've heard rumours that it's still possible.

asking for a friend.

Attached: 1526149830-219.png (485x443, 22K)

>Why would you buy from Amazon and not Newegg
2 day

Try using shoprunner, I paid nothing and get 2 day shipping on most of my newegg items

>d-don't worry you can get a G-Sync TN panel for only $350(!) your $2000 1080Ti build instead of a Freesync IPS. TN are fine...
ayy

Level1Techs seemed to suggest that that Mbest 1440p 144hz IPs panel was actually closer to 2ms than 3ms, and had crazy low input latency, even.
I kind of want to get one, only I worry about dead pixels.

>not having AMEX with shoprunner included for free
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

What do you guys think about the minipcs?

The integrated graphics let you play the usual light games and it's a hell of a less hassle with cales and dust

I was thinking of buying this at black friday for 300 dollars or something

intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc7i7bnh-16gb-optane.html

My 2013 pc is falling apart and I'm not planning on buying a 500 dollar video card or anything

Attached: file.png (987x516, 138K)

Why would you get anything less than a 2200G...? Have you done any research at all?

Also, holy shit. Optane 800p did so poorly that they're offloading them onto Romanians?

>Optane 800p
I don't get it, what's wrong with optane ?

Are thermal pads a good replacement for thermal paste? Might get it with my 2600x

Attached: 1517120401689.png (1000x500, 1M)

>Are thermal pads a good replacement for thermal paste?
no.
Especially for CPUs

Just score some cheap old prebuilt or buy some used parts and assemble it yourself. You won't be able to avoid starting over from new if you upgrade to current gen though.

Never heard of them desu

the only intel nuc that's actually worth something is the new Hades Canyon thing. 300$ for this seems ok which is surprising but they ususally don't come with any hardware except the (soldered on) laptop tier cpu. So realistically you are still looking at double the cost at which point you should just get a mITX system with a Ryzen APU.

Nearly every B350 mATX board I'm reading reviews on, a lot of people are saying they had to update BiOS to get the board to work with a 2700x. What's the likelihood that I'll receive a board with an outdated bios? Most of these complaints are from 1-2 months ago.

>Low budget option would be nice
2200G/2400G+B350/B450+a 2x4/2x8 GB 3000+MHz kit

Been using this Cooler Master since 2013. Is this thing considered shitty or do cases not really matter at long unless you're a ricerfag?

Attached: 1502593040765.png (1280x960, 944K)

god that's garbage now.

Newer cases have:
>RGB
>better airflow
>painted interiors
>power supply shrouds
>tempered glass windows

Pic related is a good case now.

Attached: Phanteks-Enthoo-PRO-M-Tempered-Glass.jpg (1804x954, 338K)

it sucks but why bother messing with a running system? If you ever update you build just get a new case. Protip: unless you really need all the hardware the smaller you go, the more fun and interesting they become. Micro ATX is preddy gud nowadays but mITX is where the fun really begins.

>mITX is where the fun really begins.
I have a hardon for the Silverstone RVZ03B
pcpartpicker.com/product/RgVBD3/silverstone-rvz03b-mini-itx-desktop-case-rvz03b

What's a good one for $50?

delete the AIO, get a 1080, and get the 2600. Done