Why did e-reader technology stop progressing so abruptly in 2011?

Why did e-reader technology stop progressing so abruptly in 2011?
Is it because they work too well? Did they reach market saturation too soon?
I can imagine you'd buy one backlit eink reader, and you're set for life, you never have to buy another one again.
Or were they made totally redundant by the tablet meme?

Attached: GloHD-540x322-540x322.jpg (540x322, 38K)

Children/brainlets prefer phones, faggots prefer analog books so others can see them read.

i luv these, cant wait until kobo auara prices drop - i want red lighting for night reading badly

two problems: the lower half of the market was happy to use their phones while the upper half of the market wanted to pirate books and not be locked into one ebook ecosystem

I actually wanted to purchase books from Amazon but their policies, prices and region-locking are bullshit, so I stopped.

I had an iriver and a kobo, both are drag and drop and read everything from .pdfs to .cbzs full of manga, there's reason why you should be buying ebooks in the first place, just pirate them.

This
Just get the epub files somewhere else. Kobo reads everything just fine

Well people realized they prefer "analog" books and not e-books, and books are selling better than ever. And they are right t b h. While e-readers are pretty cool nothing beats that book feel, book smell, actually feeling like you own the book forever and also how your collection looks in your bookshelf.

>also how your collection looks in your bookshelf.
Hate this shit. Useless waste of space and resources. Both my grandma and mother had shelves with books. Mom just for the sake of it. I was elated when I moved out and all my books were inside a single device.

>nothing beats that book feel, book smell, actually feeling like you own the book forever
Strange fetish.

Books in bookshelf are awesome from a design perspective, especially if the covers and the spine look good. Also ask people why they aren't getting e-readers, the "book feel" will be the first response.

>the "book feel" will be the first response.
Don't you find it ridiculous? It's something I imagine cigarette addicts to say.
>Books in bookshelf are awesome from a design perspective
How so? You can't imagine any use for your living space and need to clutter it?

my books are all pirated and I have physical games on my shelf instead
you better fucking embrace it or it'll be gone by the next console gen, I'm simply gonna give up video games if they drop physical next gen

No I don't find the bookfeel ridiculous. It's just that people like to feel like they actually own the object, that they can touch it and see it for themselves in real world, something that digital stuff doesn't offer (personally I half agree with them, it is a psychological thing of our race you can say).

Also I like my space pretty non cluttered myself, but a too empty house is depressing, and books remove that emptiness without occupying that much space (if you don't have an entire library of them), being useful and looking good.

>Consoles
If you want to play after the console is dead, just invest in a good PC and wait a couple of years for an emulator.

>people like to feel like they actually own the object, that they can touch it and see it for themselves in real world
Just like an e-reader. Honestly, I don't get it. Books wear down and are not as good looking after the initial read. They are cumbersome, time-wasting, inconvenient and so on.
I see no reason for them to exist unless you have some strange variation of duck syndrome or even cargo cult.

you could've said "from usability perspective" and you'd look half smart
because usually e-book UI/UX is clunky shit

I wish there was a good was a good textbook sized one I can use for taking my notes. I'm tired of carrying a binder and digging through my old notes to find shit.

Actually, I do agree on 1 account. Books have better "crispiness". I wish my e-reader had twice the resolution at least.

I prefer a physical book the same way I prefer my games on a physical disc / card.

Digital only if fucking gay, and e-readers suck dick.

Attached: DeMoOZIV4AA42ej.jpg (1200x1200, 186K)

Owning books apart from reference purpuses is ridiculous concept. Give the book to someone after you read it. They are no good to the world staying in your library.

What if I want to read them again after some time, since sometimes going back to stuff you already read is nice. What if I like seeing them there, like a decoration?

Are you a fucking robot?

Your mindset is like that of an ant.

so best e-reader would be a Kobo for something without a botnet to read your PDFs? Please recommend me a device that I can just drag/drop PDFs

Reading them again and aesthetics.

Anyone in Australia, The U.S or Canada should have a library office room. I can understand europoors in smaller 3 bedroom properties.

That said I have a massive book collection into the hundreds. But also have 100's on my kindle that comes everywhere, hands down the invention of the ereader for travel is one of the greatest things in the past 10 years.

I just really fucking hate clutter and useless dust magnets.

>What if I want to read them again after some time
Then have a digital library. Instant access to everything.
> What if I like seeing them there, like a decoration?
That's called hoarding, I think.

The smart man choice. Physical ownership at home, e-reader on the road.

Attached: unknown (28).png (378x376, 240K)

it's the same kind of autist who falls for the "minimalist" meme, even going so far as to reduce all his possessions to whatever fits in the backseat of his car in case shit hits the fan, but what he doesn't realize is having stuff is nice.
You might as well live in a closet if you just want enough space to eat and sleep and shower without ever owning things.

It became good enough and amazon pretty much has a monopoly.

Btw saw somebody throw ideas about better ereaders and econtent on twitter. As a response he got death threats for being a techbro reinventing the library, shit was funny

>Anyone in Australia, The U.S or Canada should have a library office room
So it's a "status" symbol like having a giant TV? That explains it.

>You enjoy space without clutter
>May as well live in a closet
Your lack of logical reasoning depresses me.

I have a Kobo Aura 2 and yes, you literally drag and drop, you don't even need a special folder for your files

Explain to me why you would bother paying more for a living space that you don't intend to use?

Do you just get off on causing the least amount of inconvenience to others around you, you joyless fucking bugman prick.

Having a great house, belongings, newly furnished is a status symbol.

Yes a status symbol of hard work and rewarding yourself.

It's not that they stopped improving them, it's that everyone's currently working on full-colour E-Ink for consumers that makes it seem like nothing gets done

>Explain to me why you would bother paying more for a living space that you don't intend to use?
You mean like cluttering it with useless book shelves?
I try to fill it with something that has usefulness. If there is nothing to place there now, the place stays empty and I get pleasure from having extra space and not having to navigate the maze of useless shit.
>Do you just get off on causing the least amount of inconvenience to others around you,
I don't understand you. Rephrase, please.

>Yes a status symbol of hard work and rewarding yourself.
A useless book shelf is a status symbol.
Sad county you live in. I suppose you internalized those ideas, but I genuinely pity you.

>▶

What about the Kobo Clara HD?

>something that has usefulness.
prove to me that "usefulness" to you means an actual tangible concept and isn't literally NOTHING, because that's the vibe I'm getting from you
your responses are needlessly antagonistic and you sound like a cringeworthy chuuni if this is how you carry yourself in real life.

>Why did e-reader technology stop progressing so abruptly in 2011?
It has to be the normies

I agree with this dude. Having nice things is awful,the sterile house which looks just like my corporate office is way better since if my living space doesn't look like it or like my closest Starbucks I feel out of my safe space.

Also carrying things when I drink my morning frappe is awful and a book is too heavy for my office worker back, and people would probably laugh at me if I don't own the newest iKindle or Macbook Pro to read my things.

Attached: fascinating-simpleor-design-for-minimalist-home-ideas-modern-homes-contemporary.jpg (2000x1333, 276K)

>A useless book shelf is a status symbol.
Sad county you live in. I suppose you internalized those ideas, but I genuinely pity you.

You implyed it was the status symbol, I merely implyed it was something that gives joy to some of us.

But the feeling I get off you is nothing but cringe worthy autism so it's expected not understanding how somethings bring joy to others.

>your responses are needlessly antagonistic
Maybe you are just too defensive. Which is pretty sad in itself.
>prove to me that "usefulness" to you means an actual tangible concept and isn't literally NOTHING
How do you want me to prove that?
Let's say that I constantly use every piece of furniture I own. I don't have this that test sits there for years as an ornament.

All that stands out to me here is a $30 metal pressed fan. All that money and cheaped out on the fittings.

>your post is sad in itself
>i pity you and your post

Attached: tips fedora2.png (650x750, 425K)

This is someone's 3rd house right?
Surely, you wouldn't want to live in a literal display house, right?
There isn't even enough sofas to have guests over.

Nah m8 that house is the bugmen dream, and we have one of those posting right now in this very thread. See for yourself how there are no useless things in there, only the most necessary ones.

>implying bugmen are bringing guests at his home
If they did that why does Starbucks even exists then?

>Ikindle
>MacBook
>Starbucks
Funny implications. You have a very narrow mind, it seems.

Also, that table is pretty terrible in terms of ergonomics and fan seems useless.

Yeah my man the table is useless we should completely remove it t b h since the ground can do the same thing as it anyway. Also the sofa can also be removed since you already have a rug where to sleep on so the sofa just wastes living space. You don't need a maze of things to navigate through am I right?

Attached: 1530120048381.jpg (1920x1080, 636K)

He already said faggots propagating physical media. You didn't have to provide proof.

You may jest all you want, but I think you yourself understand that your dust collecting book shelf is a waste of both space and resources.

Also
>Sleeping on a sofa
That's just sad.

Explain to me how you're not a literal waste of oxygen.

No clue but it should be the same, also check online to see which formats it supports

I love mine. Really want an 8.5x11" one, but the only one I've seen is over a grand..

Attached: 20180627_014350-3024x1701.jpg (3024x1701, 398K)

Reading pdfs ony paperwhite is a drag desu
And any book that, is old, obscure or has equations in it will almost certainly won't be avaliable in epub or mobi
What I need js screen size, at least a4, but those are very expensive. Until then I'll stay with my used book shops

>Reading pdfs ony paperwhite is a drag
Install koreader, use the reflow function. Fucks up tables, but works wonders with text.

Kindles are fuckin awesome. Screen has texture of paper. Feels like an actual little book in my hand, but its actually thousands of books.

I've been using the same paperwhite for 5 years now and I'm happy with it. PDFs are near unreadable though. The whole format is absolute garbage though and should have been discontinued already.

>haven't bought a single book yet read hundreds of them since I got my Kindle
>people still bring up the muh book feel meme when I tell them about it
Oh well

that's a weird dog

Only reason to have an eBook is to get around censorship in your country

Jow Forums in a nutshell

these people are the worst
they don't care about literature, they just need to be seen reading it
books are nothing more than a fashion accessory to them, no less disgraceful than a basic bitch toting a half-melted frappe in a starbucks cup

All the people that wanted one already owned one by then, so the market evaporated.

yes?
that's called market saturation

I'm filtering you, dumbfuck.

Nice blog dipshit.
Exclaiming that you are filtering someone is just a shitpost, nobody cares do whatever you want.

>be outside
>e-ink ftw #noglare #goodbatterylife
>boot up pdf
>margins around the text are HUGE
>can't even read book text without placing it two inches from my face
>use zoom in magnifying glass to re-format
>breaks the book

or

>studying a text book
>figure1.png
>can't zoom in to look at it
>no colour
>mfw

or

>brb spending ~1000$ on the A4 black and white sony pdf reader
>black and white
>no

Why the fuck are you looking at .pdf files with images on a fucking e-book reader, are you retarded? Use a tablet.

>why read books an a book reader

really?

>be outside
>try to read something on tablet
>literally mirror the sun from the screen directly into my eyes
>AHHHHHAAAAAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHH

why not pay for physical books?
>paying for 10's of 200$ textbooks

here's your problem
>>be outside
well shit if your not outside then just use a computer

the only solution is a tablet with a matte finish, but does it even exist?

Because what's the point?
I bought a Samsung 10.1 Tab A that was on sale for around $170 last Xmas.

It's vastly superior in every conceivable way than a e-reader. The only possible negative is the glare of tablet screens? But it's not like you can't simply turn down the brightness. Hell, you don't even fucking have to that. The thing will auto adjust the brightness for you depending on room lighting.

Web, email, HD videos, video/camera, music, gaming, actually displays fucking color media like magazines, etc.

E-readers were great when they first came out and I was seriously considering getting one. But fuck, even the Nook HD+ made buying one retarded after they opened it up to google play store.

I got one years ago, but turns out, I almost never used it. Constantly pinching and resizing since pdfs are fixed, ok for epubs but they are not as common.
Sperg as much as you want, but reading on an electronic device just isn't as comfortable as reading on printed paper, at least for me.

>4036/2
>reading books

You'd sum kaind of genie ius width high edumacation?

I love my e-reader.
Long battery life.
Backlight is nice and soft and doesn't fuck up contrast when set low.
Readable even in harsh sunlight.
Comfy to hold because I hate holding books.
Reads manga decently well.

If I had to guess progress seems halted because manufacturers are waiting for color e-ink.

>Reads manga decently well.
Hah, this.
I tried some manga on a Kobo Aura HD and it looks plenty sharp.
At night and even outdoors, it's way more preferable to read it on the e-reader than a computer monitor.

But it isn't with downsides, color pages look pretty bad and the slow processing power of e-readers makes it often annoying to browse files and books, or with large PDF files, navigating to a different page or zooming is absolutely awful.

But other than that, I also enjoyed my e-reader a lot, it's great if you pirate a lot of books, the long battery life is really a wonderful thing too.

Though the only thing I really dislike about my e-reader is the lack of physical buttons, at first I thought I wouldn't mind but now I would prefer at least two buttons to navigate the pages opposed to a finicky touch screen interface.

>slow processing power of e-readers makes it often annoying to browse files and books
I use Calibre to resize the images in my cbz & cbr to match the resolution of the screen. Improves load time a lot on manga.

Amazon killed color e-ink and other companies by selling shit Kindles at dumping prices. /thread

I don't know why I didn't think of that, didn't know Calibre offers that feature.

the world is full of brainlets that don't read. There's no market for these.

Ebook readers are not really suitable for textbooks, i usually just print those out

I meant ComicRack not Calibre, my bad.

>Is it because they work too well?
What? Like you said they've barely improved since they came out. They are still way too expensive for such a limited use, as well as slow and fragile. They only excel as a medium for reading novels, and a big part of that market is filled with paper fetishists like half the fuckers in this thread. Even if you read a lot it's not a big step up from a tablet if you read at home.

what printer do you use?
how to you bind/sort them?

I'm looking at doing the same but can't decide if a mono laser printer is the way to go as I reckon diagrams should be in colour to aid learning.

Not him, but I personally use a public printer in my university department. It uses ink, but it's one of those big bulky professional printers not intended to be sold to the public, so it's much better than regluar commercial printers.
If you want to print, I suggest first of all looking for some place to do it instead of getting a printer yourself. With how expensive cartridges are IMHO it's not worth the purchase.

If the book is fiction and 100% text then i dont mind using an eink reader, but for more technical books i like to have a physical copy

I use an old HP mono laser printer I got for free, I believe it's a 1018 or something. It uses some dirt cheap toner and it doesn't have any chips or any bullshit like that, you can print however much you want. You could even refill the cartridge, but it's not worth the hassle, it's cheap. If graphs are the reason why you'd buy a color printer, don't do it, black and white is fine for most purposes. I recommend getting an older mono laser printer with duplex capability that uses cheap toner. I alternatively use a xerox machine at the school I work for, but if I had to, I could make do with my small HP printer, I've printed thousands of pages with both.

E-reader technology has progressed, it just progressed backwards.

Has anyone used a 7.8" ereader for manga?
How is it?

Works great. Although I use a 6". One caveat: Double-pages. I wrote a script to split them into two seperate pages again and it works better.

I bought kindle about a year after premiere, it still just werks so why would I upgrade

How's your battery life?

Pathetic obviously you don't read

I have a Kobo Aura 2nd Edition and it's measured in months. I only ever turn on wifi to sync a newly bought book.
I used to have a beautiful first edition Kobo Aura with the flush laminated screen but I destroyed it by putting it in a bag unprotected. Fucking stupid.

Because nobody is using the cool e-ink technology besides Asian tech demos. There's foldable eink screens that can function and look like an actual book but nobody is doing it for some reason

I'm an autist who charges it at the end of the day I used it but it never went below 90%, and that's with WiFi on. Just don't think about using the built-in browser, that fucker refreshes the screen at like 10 fps when scrolling, drains battery % in minutes
I feel you bro, destroyed a Tolino Vision 4 HD that way

why would I get one of these over a tablet?

The iPad killed the e-reader market.

i have the large(10"?) kindle from a long time ago
wish it had expandable memory
3gib isnt enough

It's cheaper and easier to just use one of the e-reader apps on your phone if you want to read outside the house.

When you're 80 and have nothing sentimental to leave to your children you'll understand why having physical media is nice.

Short of turning it into a tablet, what is there to improve on on the user facing hardware side?

if anything, there's color e-ink displays, but i wager those are not ready for prime time.

The entire business sector was poisoned by patents and greedy vendor lock-in attempts.
Notice how literally every e-reader has their own ebook store.
Only ones that don't are total shit, marketed for business use.