Tempted to try the fresh Arch install meme to learn about Linux...

Tempted to try the fresh Arch install meme to learn about Linux, I'm wondering though for what reason I should start with Arch at all and not just go with LFS? How much is inbetween that and Arch?

Attached: lfs-logo.png (192x75, 16K)

Install gentoo

LFS is really just compiling and configuring basic packages. Doing it once to see what is GNU/Linux about might be good but it's practically useless for regular user.

You people always say this.
Is gentoo better than arch?
And if so, please tell me in what way.

LFS is not for the Linux noob. Something like PCLinuxOS or Mint would be more suitable.

>How much is inbetween that and Arch?
Gentoo is between them. Arch is a highly customizable distro with both binary-based and source-based parts. Gentoo is an incredibly customizable source-based distro. LFS is a manual that guides you in setting up your own install and/or distro from, well, scratch.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1526847927051.jpg (1575x2362, 951K)

Depends on what you want, Gentoo is a bit more minimalistic in terms that you have to build every package by yourself therefore giving you even more control over HOW packages are built. However, you can build packages yourself on Arch too - which majority of users do. Difference being that arch will do the basic packages itself and on gentoo you'll have to build it from scratch. From there on it's more or less the same. And you're not forced to update Arch all the time even though it's bleeding edge, people criticize Arch on being unstable. In two years of usage I had 0 problems caused by it. It's just a meme, it is vulnerable to bad updates but bad updates just never happen

If you're going fresh into learnign Linux go with Arch (if you already have any experience with Linux) and learn the basics. Only then move to gentoo if you feel like it. If you have 0 experience with Linux don't bother booting Arch/Gentoo. Just get something user friendly and start learning from there - it's not that hard but catching the basics and getting used to terminal/command line takes time

Attached: 1518083322124.png (512x512, 51K)

fuck off rms poster

>Which the majority of arch users do
Majority of arch users install spyware from the aur
>Arch comes preinstalled with a virus (systemd)

>muh spyware
>muh systemd is bad
>HURRR DURRR GET OFF MUH LAWWWNN
>DON'T THREAD ON MUHH LAWN NIGGERRRR

You're a fucking retard. It's sad how on Jow Forums majority of people just take literal memes as definitive truth, be it on Jow Forums Jow Forums /tv/ wherever. Rarely who could give an objective technical criticism - including (You)

Now go on some forum, ctrl+c why systemD is bad and than ctr+v it back here
faggot

Attached: 34644257_1873682726008907_3709521978919485440_n.jpg (808x960, 96K)

I want to learn about Linux, not GNU. I never referred to the operating system as Linux, I said I want to learn about Linux - ie the kernel. Fuck off.

so what about Gentoo vs LFS?

don't know much about LFS but it's definetely even more simpler than Gentoo. If you're an absolute noob in linux you go
>Something mainstream - Arch/Gentoo - LFS/Void
if you know the basics
>Arch/Gentoo-LFS/Void
if you're good with building your own packages in Arch, using bash, understanding the basics of how the OS works, systemD and other sytem managers try your luck with LFS

The entire split here between Arch and Gentoo users is about who can go more on muhh privacy while the honest difference is insignificant for what you're asking

Thanks user. Can I ask where Void fits into it though? I'm not too familiar with it outside of it being pushed for the 'no systemd' meme.

Void IS linux from scratch just packed nicely so you don't have to do all the work

LFS isn't a definitive operating system rather a way of installing linux. It's a tutorial, not an OS. Void however is a rolling release distro that is based upon the idea of LFS

forgot to ask, what is your experience with linux generally ? What distro have you used so far ? Have you even used Linux ? Why do you want to go LFS ?

I'd rather waste my time being productive.

oh well that's pretty cool. If you're trying to learn, would going with Void be easier or cut out some of the important bits for you to do yourself?

I'm still on the beginner side of things, but ambitious. I've been using Fedora on my laptop for three months now, and I quite recently dual booted Debian onto my desktop which I'm still in the process of configuring properly to use on the daily. Like I said in the OP, I wanted to give a base Arch install a go on my laptop as everyone always says it makes you learn loads, but the thought kind of popped into my head of if the idea is to do most of it yourself, why not just go straight for LFS?

lfs is the next step after gentoo.

first time I tried booting Arch I deleted windows and left myself with a Arch USB stick and an empty laptop. It took me 3 days to get the laptop working and another month to catch up with the basics and start actually using it productively. Then I was an absolute beginer like you

I reccomend you install something on your existing OS you could tinker with and trough trial and error adapt to terminal and .bash. Things started rolling for me after I installed i3 window manager - and I reccomend you do the same. Install i3(or some other down to the ground WM) and slowly start "ricing" it, it might seem stupid but you'll gradually learn the basics. After you're comfortable with it (after a week, a month ...) boot Arch and just continue gradually learning things
Please don't make the mistake of jumping into something you don't even remotely know it will be a pain in the ass and will yield little result. Only when you get comfy with Arch go down the path of building your own linux. There is no reason to learn kernel until you can comfotably use Linux

Thanks for the advice, but if it helps at all I don't intend to try any of this hipster shit on a machine that matters to me. I pretty much have my laptop dedicated to fucking around with atm, so if I wipe it all by accident the only thing lost is whatever rice I had. I'll give i3 a try before I move away from Fedora though, that's a good idea. Probably would had done that sooner if I hadn't been so satisfied with xfce.

hipster or not it helped me learn the basics

t. has never used gentoo and doesn't know shit about his own garbage OS called Arch

Gentoo does lots of shit for you automatically, it's philosophy is somewhat similar to that of Debian. It's also not plagued by the breakages of Arch because packages actually get tested
>you're not forced to update Arch all the time
You can't even update selectively, so you have to update even if you know that a package is broken (or risk security vulns of other outdated packages)
> you can build packages yourself on Arch too
Arch's implementation is a joke compared to gentoo's portage
>
If you're going fresh into learnign Linux go with Arch (if you already have any experience with Linux) and learn the basics.
Because it's really important to "learn" how to manually do something basic that literally every other distro does automatically. Right.

Attached: arch is not minimalist.png (1169x3679, 513K)

Lol this, haven't broken my arch install in 4 years :3

don't you have a life ? Read OPs post again copy pasta faggots

neither is that wall of text

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, systemd/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, systemd plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning systemd system made useful by the systemd corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the systemd system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of systemd which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the systemd system, developed by the systemd Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the systemd operating system: the whole system is basically systemd with Linux added, or systemd/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of systemd/Linux.

Linux is a kernel.

systemd sucks because everything runs as root and it has tentacles into every part of your system

>systemd runs everything as root

Should i tell him guys?

This. Stop calling Systemd+Linux just "Linux".

I dont know i dont use gentoo