/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Ask your questions here.

Please first check the Jow Forums wiki for related keywords, and/ or search for an answer using one of the following privacy-respecting search engines (or any other such like them):

searx.neocities.org/
startpage.com/
ddg.gg/lite

Jow Forums wiki:
wiki.installgentoo.com/
Jow Forums sticky: Redirect questions that don't deserve their own thread with Previous thread

Attached: main-qimg-3c7985e06f5b3a113ab82c988f0313cf-c.jpg (330x474, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1GgWGkqFnvN
vocaroo.com/i/s0LDhnXXOEsP
vocaroo.com/i/s1xN6bRN95SA
vocaroo.com/i/s0zoOULmiDCE
freshports.org/multimedia/mpv/
pkgsrc.se/multimedia/mpv
ports.su/multimedia/mpv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

is there any way to protect myself against this sort of recon attack, it seems like hes trying to find an unsecure admin panel by way of brute force

Attached: vncviewer_2018-06-28_21-19-04.png (1258x513, 258K)

ban MAC address.

How to add more space to a partition for linux?

How's your partitioning?
Try Gparted.

/boot 50GB /home 27GB /root
Literally cucked myself with low storage. I would give gparted a try but i'm just wondering if there's anyway to add more storage to the partitions in windows since I dual boot. Running out of space unfortunately.

Oops I meant /root 50

can a nas encrypt partitions on an hdd and share it with a password using smb2/3? I only used smb1 on a rebranded chink router so far so I don't really know what a nas can do

Are there any easy to set-up image boards?
I just want to create a LiveUSB that convert a laptop/Pi into AP, and host an image board, for the soon upcoming apocalypse.
I've found about piratebox but for some reason, kureha didn't work.

Attached: 1529952735599.jpg (750x938, 102K)

Hey gents, so I finally decided to start learning C. I recently ran up Codeblocks and started a console project and am currently using the GNUCC Compiler.
#include

main()

{
printf("hello, world\n");
printf("hello, world");
}

So when I run it up, it only displays the first hello world or printf.
When I copy the same code and try it on a website debugger, it shows the two printfs.
I can't understand whats going on. Please help.

Attached: a55f1d26c38e58af4c1939b968ef40a2.png (786x581, 778K)

Say you have a long document that contains titles of movies that are formatted like this:

>Original Title (English title/French title)
>Original Title (English title/French title)
>...

how would proceed i order to rearrange these like this:

>English Title (Original Title/French Title)
>English Title (Original Title/French Title)
>...

Pls help a brainlet out.

Why am I at 1,5gb of ram usage when I have literally nothing on except powershell?

Attached: sc.png (1366x768, 62K)

>wangblows

not even kidding

Because of all the background processes wangblows runs.

It could be a ton of things. Try running an fflush(1) between the two prints. Also, that's void main() right?

>Try running an fflush(1) between the two prints
I tried along with return 0, still same.

>Also, that's void main() right?
sorry whats that

My phone's keyboard has started to be somewhat unresponsive when typing relatively fast.
What can I do to amend this? Factory reset or rooting or something?

I'm trying to make a new network so a small museum I volunteer at can keep files and scanned photos centralized

There is currently an unprotected WiFi router run by the city were allowed to connect to both wirelessly and physically (but I don't have access to it's management page)

I have a DDWRT flashed wireless router to use as our network (which I can manage)

How do I take the internet by plugging in to the Open Wifi's RJ45 while still retaining some protection? What "name" am I looking for?

The host is 192.168.2.1, I changed my router to 192.168.2.150 and switched the mode from gateway to routing, but that didn't help. Do I need to disable DHCP? halp

Attached: hidethepainharold.jpg (1410x793, 142K)

Is it worth buying a new laptop right now with all the spectre/ meltdown shit going on or will the next generation of processors be such a huge upgrade when they don't suffer from those exploits anymore that it'd be a waste?

Attached: pc_gaming.jpg (802x755, 105K)

HTML CSS question:

How do you display "help-text" when cursor is hovering an icon?

Pic related

Attached: cursor hover.png (400x66, 8K)

That's actually not a stupid question

Attached: e9792cb04580a547b56306cf4bb56d05.jpg (540x456, 22K)

I doubt they'll get it fixed this go around. Maybe next year. At any rate, the bios's will at least come pre-patched fwiw.

> Complaining about RAM usage
> on Windows
Are you trying to bait us ?

Attached: 353cc37ce8fe5a8b3bcbeff163027a5b.jpg (300x304, 14K)

It's there some winbows program to monitor requests and map the IP address to countries and/or in worldmap?
Thanks.

Attached: 1529851840750.png (741x609, 27K)

What is the difference between a http and a socks proxy?

Not the most efficient way, but you could copy the content in excel, set /, (, and ) as separator characters, and end up with original, English, and French title in 3 separate columns
Then you simply do a concatenate according to your needs

Trying to open a 600MB text file.
windows notepad just crashes,
is there any way to split it up into multiple files?

Attached: 23049837363.png (283x141, 2K)

Program called reNamer

In pentesting, how do I make my target execute the payload?
The target uses chrome on win7 machine connected to WPA2.
The target only uses FB/Viber for text and only through smartphone.
The USB ports are all disabled, and I can't get physical access to the machine.

Attached: aebcf882b0524fc98bbb0fbfa5d0f6d8a74d05a591f53973b9066e57ce136756.jpg (634x886, 73K)

Whats the best desktop environment to run on Debian? I've tried the i3 but i'm a brainlet that can't get things done on it. I just switched from windows to linux.

probably, you can do it with "split" on linux. Dunno about windows.

How do CPU's physically process machine code?

Your force lightning in to a rock and make it do complex math

how does it do this though, I understand there are billions of tiny electrical switches in the CPU, but how do they actually work?

On a scale of Antarctica to Chernobyl, how hot is this build going to get?

>Intel i3 4150 @ 3.5GHz
>EVGA GTX 960
>SeaSonic 850W PSU
>Noctua NH-L9i CPU heatsink

CPU and heatsink are directly underneath the PSU with a couple centimeters of clearence between the two. The only real exhaust in the case is from the PSU fan in the back.

Will attach pic to next post

Holy crap. I've never seen such a singularly overpowered PSU in a build.

god this was a pain in the dick

Attached: IMG_20180628_103700.jpg (774x1032, 279K)

Get a better case

I specifically wanted this case because of how much smaller it is.

Its designed very poorly

>mash enter key during filezilla installer
>accidentally install a bunch of shit
i got rid of avast antivirus but what the fuck is this download manager shit
when i right click it i only get the option to "open" it and even doing that just opens a windows saying "downloading installer components"

Attached: file.png (132x67, 4K)

You should have led with that pic. That is... and unfortunate combination you go there. I could easily see heat throttling on that card, and a non zero chance of the system shutting down on hot days. I would have gone for one of the compact models built for that kind of case.

Attached: 1510986846751.jpg (600x417, 41K)

i'm surprised you could get it down to 1.5gb at all

That case is gonna fuck your thermals, stop being a jew and get a shitty $10 case with better air flow. While you're at it, you may as well get a more efficient PSU, there is no way this system is drawing more than 230-250 watts.

Just use Revo and nuke all the bullshit you installed

Is there a shortcut for putting in the closing parentheses in the Python 3 IDLE? I found an extension via google but I don't know how to add it (I can't see anything that lets me add it on preferences>extensions either)

What's a cheap mouse I could get for my laptop?

Like gates, they open and close, through a circuit

Attached: 1525827094611.png (720x644, 31K)

I know this, I just don't understand how the pipelines can process data and tell one instruction from another on a physical level.

Reposting from /hpg/

Got some open back headphones, and a mod mic.
Due to low power from my motherboard, I have to boost the gain quite substantially. (100% volume, +30dB)
That gets my voice to a audible level, but playing some music in a discord call, my friends could hear my music playing through the mic.
vocaroo.com/i/s1GgWGkqFnvN (embed)

Enabling "noise suppression" and "acoustic echo cancellation" cuts out a fair amount of the noise pollution, but still beyond what I consider acceptable.
vocaroo.com/i/s0LDhnXXOEsP (embed)

On top of that, enabling either one of these settings makes the microphone quality sound awful, like a wal mart gaymer headset mic.

Test with noise cancellation off
vocaroo.com/i/s1xN6bRN95SA (embed)
Test with noise cancellation on
vocaroo.com/i/s0zoOULmiDCE (embed)

Not the best comparison, I'm aware. But it does give a general idea of the "muffle" it introduces.

I'm going to be getting a pretty basic usb audio interface in the mail before long as I believe my low volume is due to the above stated phantom power issue, but I can't see how this would help with noise pollution.

pls help.

Livezilla

Attached: 1529451632692.png (500x647, 167K)

i cry errytiem

Does mpv work on *BSD ?

Attached: BSD.jpg (150x158, 26K)

Packages are available.
freshports.org/multimedia/mpv/ (freebsd - 0.28.2)
pkgsrc.se/multimedia/mpv (netbsd - 0.28.2)
ports.su/multimedia/mpv (openbsd - 0.22)

Is stupid to match a 2600x plus 1060 with a 550w psu?

The other day on a soft reboot two *.bat files ran on my Win10 computer.

Is there any way to find out what the hell they were or what happened?

Basically there were two cmd/dos windows that popped up for half a second behind an email program that is scheduled to run on startup. They haven't been before or since and I have no idea what they were, or were attached to.

What do?

Anons please help. I'm doing a clean reinstall of my Windows 10. Having backed up everything I needed, and booted from a USB flash, I have come to the partition part.
There are 3 partitions. One partition of the system 500 MB, one of 1 TB and the last one which is an OEM and around 540 MB.

My question is: I will delete every partition and make them anew. Should I also delete the OEM one?
All 3 of them have occupied space, especially the 1 TB one.

Thanks.

Did the latest Firefox Update on Windows (61 / Release) started using grayscale anti-aliasing for fonts in some places for anyone else?

How is the 3D printing scene on *nix?

I've been waiting to get into the home print thing and I run Mint in my garage where I'd probably set up a printer.

Thanks fren

Attached: 1499383862799.jpg (680x489, 21K)

Windows 7 task bar has these options for icons:
>Always combine, hide labels
>Combine when full
>Never combine
How can I get a "Combine when full, hide labels"?

what is the OEM of your computer?
What were your drives and what was on them?
Dell and others will have recovery shit in that 540MB, the 500MB is a Win10 reserved partition for bootmanager.

Pretty sure you can just eviscerate both of them, but don't be surprised when the 500mb one comes back on install.

you've been ratted user

>in some places
such as?

I'd just delete them all and let windows do it's thing as far as partitioning is concerned. also for installing all the software you use fairly quickly and easily, look into chocolatey

I use an external usb plug (110v to USB phone charger) to power my headset, the audio jacks are the only thing plugged into my case. Don't know if that helps but it's something to try eliminating the power problem.

Certain web pages, for example in play-pokemonshowdown-com,
the chat is now being rendered in grayscale AA and the rest of the page is still on subpixel,
the developer reportingly didn't change anything.

While installing win10, delete them all, and make the new partitions there. Leave 500mb for system partition windows will create it automatically.

Attached: iVqZI3Y.jpg (606x391, 40K)

So:
1) Delete them all
2) Create the minimum Win10 500 MB system partition
3) Create a second one with the rest of the space

Isn't the OEM in case of a system recovery? Do I need it?
Again, thanks.

ok I got as far as Remote Access Trojan but I can't find anything. Going through processes and installed programs now.

>OEM in case of a system recovery?
it's like Dell specific files. if you'er using Dell disks (or whatever) to recover then you need it. If you're using your own version of win10 then you shouln't need it.

I'm working on a data structure in Java and had a quick question; I need to take in arbitrarily typed key-value pairs and put them in buckets. I planned on using hashing and modulus to put them in the right place, but I'm concerned about collisions/false positives. Should I store the original, unhashed key in addition to the value in the structure for verification purposes? Does that create a lot of overhead?

If I load up a RPi with personal python scripts and plug it in at the office so it'll run 24/7 and someone found out, would it be bad?

What are the odds they'd find it?

pretty nice idea though thanks mate i will try to make it work!

Anyone?

physical or on screen keyboard? if physical then time for a different phone, if onscreen try a different keyboard app?

>What are the odds they'd find it?
Make it so it connect after work hours, spoofing someone else's MAC address.
This would minimize the odds, what will you be using it for?

On-screen.
It's never been this unresponsive before. It's almost 3 years old at this point.

Is kali linux really useful in 2018?
Not as everyday OS, but for actual pentesting other than cracking your neighbor's wifi.
Most of the so called exploits are either already patched or require the victim's to do specific things.

Attached: 0AtuU4s.jpg (1334x2000, 431K)

Does using 3 sticks of RAM at the same speed have any noticeable performance differences vs dual channel?

my sansa clip zip is on its last legs (headphone plug failing mainly)
what's a good replacement? in the past 10 years iv'e gone fro a clip+ (lost or stolen) -> clip zip

what's a good comparable modern replacement with flac support (preferably does rockbox too)?

>inb4 use your phone
i'd rather not

Attached: Sansa_Clip_Zip.jpg (1126x1585, 494K)

i can tell you all about it but i won't because of your clickbait image
fuck off

Your main function header needs to be void main ()... not just main ()... omitting the return type has platform dependent results.

lol I didn't even read his post. What are you, gay?

Attached: file.png (210x240, 74K)

how worth it is getting an associates degree in "IT"
A local college has it and i will need to be taking classes for my house arrest to be acceptable it is either that or electrician

probably worth it but then you're asking a bunch of people who would rather write a unix kernal than be a wire pulling monkey

>offended by female species
numale
Clip zip or clip +
Or something like pic.
No.
Depend on the printer, really.
In general it's not that good.
I use and old laptop running puppy to run QEMU with WinXP to use a waterjet cutter.
Free mouse?
Get Miniso wirless mouse.
Personally I'd go with xfce, but for you try something like cinammon.
Try Notepad++
What's the keyboard?

Attached: Original-BENJIE-K3-Alloy-mp3-music-player-Lossless-HiFi-MP3-player-8GB-mini-Portable-Audio-Player.jp (640x640, 116K)

What are the best books to learn C++, Python, and Java/JScript? I can only learn from reading off a page.

Not really sure where to ask this, but what is this?
I use ffmpeg to transcode a video to several webm but I can't post one of the webm to Jow Forums because of pic related, the other webm is totally okay. Is there anything I can do? I'm not sure why there's a malicious code when it's just a normal video.

Attached: 1526249447872.png (324x279, 10K)

>In general it's not that good.
thanks. I run Win10 for adobeshit and a tablet already, I just don't want it in my office particularly.

For C++ I recommend C++: The Complete Reference by Herbert Schildt.
Don't take it as the holy bible on all parts of the language as he's a notorious hack, but for learning the fundamentals of both C and C++ it's fantastic. Very well worded.

O'Rielly cover to cover.

and stick to just C++ since you can't tell the others apart

How do I make MPC HC default the subs to the ones I have picked out in pic related? Putting a default language in the options clearly doesn't work, as there's multiple subs of the same language

Attached: sublet.jpg (552x160, 63K)

do they have a beginners' Posting in Tibetan Noodle Macramé Forums class?

there probably isn't, but some random string seems like it might be. just encode it as something else then try turning that back to webm. if that doesn't work try changing your settings for the webm encode for that one file.

I get that with copy/pasta images directly from the web. no idea why but resaving them usually fixes it.

in todays job market where virtually everyone has a degree of some sort, an associates isn't really worth much. I'd say go for your certs instead. but honestly the electrician thing would be the better route. you'll be making about the same or more money as you would in i.t. you'll be earning longer, and you won't have to pay for college. if you take the long view and think about retirement some day that seems the best route to me. when I was younger I made good money but was stupid with it and didn't worry about the future, so now that I can't work disability is all I've got to rely on

its a felony that i can have reduced to a misdemeanor in 3 years i'm only 22 though so i'm pretty bummed about this going on my record. So i'm very concerned about my future
what do you mean by earning longer?

Is the NT140WHM-N41 (v8.0) panel compatible with the Lenovo T440? If not, where can I find a list of compatible screens?

okay, thank you. I will probably redo that one webm again.

I mean that the time you would spend in college is time you could spend as a paid apprentice through the electricians union if you qualify. so not only would you not have to pay for college but you'd be getting paid for work during that time, and paid fairly well