>Computer Electronics Technician
>Programming
>Database Administration
>Systems and Security
>Business intelligence analytics
>Data analytics
>Web development
>IT Generalist

My goals involve changing the current web back to something more dispersed over thousands of sites as opposed to the top 30-35 owning 50% of the traffic. At the very least, providing an alternative as we've discussed here at times. My other interests involve refining ideas around browsing/file management within VR spaces, (think having your entire image or video gallery or folders, on a wall and being able to interact with them outside of windows.

Can some of you who have taken these courses offer some insight on what would be the best entry points, and what should be avoided?

Attached: 3bc2d87da3b806ec0f4fab94ed6bc0b8.jpg (800x1129, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

leaksource.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/hacking-the-art-of-exploitation.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

Your "goal" is as ridiculous as trying to abolish currency and your interests dumb as fuck.
If you are old enough to go to collage you should really have stopped being so naive a long fucking time ago.

Look at realistic career paths instead of dreaming about dumb shit you think would be cool and make your choice accordingly. Things like Database Analytics and Business Intelligence are relatively safe fields with lots of benefits if that's what you are after.

Feeling bitter user?

Who is this semen demon?

What do you mean? I'm legitimately trying to help you.
You are only setting yourself up for some major disappointments and plenty of regret later on if you go around spewing garbage like that, you aren't in highschool anymore, dreaming is fine, but when it comes to your career choices you should be realistic.

this, harsh but true

Some Pokemon generic mob.

Sounds like you weren't able to acheive your dreams user. It's alright, some of us don't have the drive to make something of ourselves. That's why you're here afterall.

You have lofty goals. Excellent.

Take Programming (always useful) and Web Development (hey, you'll need it).

You will need to know how to write SQL and basics of databases, so a DB administrator course is a maybe.
IT Generalist, I have no idea what that means; could be either something extremely useful or utterly boring.
Systems and Security could be useful to understand basic crypto-related things for later. I do not know if that is covered in that course, though; you can fit nearly anything in a course like that.
Data analytics maybe, you should know what 99%ile latency is and how it affects the user experience.
BI analytics does not seem related to your interests, and neither does CE Technician.

You should also learn networking stuff so you can understand what things you have to worry about.
For VR, none of these courses look helpful, except maybe Programming. Get a VR or AR headset and experiment.

You have a long road ahead of you, but every journey starts with the first step.
[spoiler]Are you the guy who made that comfy Hex Maniac how to fix the Internet thread a while ago?[/spoiler]
Good luck, OP.

You've reminded me that I've always wanted a deeper understanding of how web traffic works from top to bottom, i'll need to understand everything about how packets are made and received, and everything that can go wrong in between. But I may not be ready for that right away assuming its as difficult as I think it is. Courses are two years, but im expecting to need more after anyway. The generalist course just seems to focus on a bit of everything and probably too little time on each, its probably not worth it now that ive looked at it a bit.

What sort of advanced math should I work on in preparation for programming and webdev?

And yes, that was me, glad to hear from you! We're going to make the dream happen, but it'll take me some time to get up to speed with the rest of you.

Attached: 1520588160419.jpg (1448x2048, 183K)

>advanced math
>programming and webdev

That depends entirely on what you want to write. If you want write poo tier software, no math is really necessary. Crypto? Get a doctorate.

Networking really isn't that complicated. There's just a shitload you can learn. Start at the top of the OSI stack and work your way down. If you want some real fun, write a tunnel controller. Lets you make your own network interface.

Attached: 1506685521457.png (468x576, 64K)

You don't change the world with technical skills. You change it by selling your idea to investors for a lot of money and hiring people like to do the technical stuff.

This is sadly true. Changing the world is a lofty and admirable, though unrealistic goal. Find something smaller and revolutionize that. Your goal is to upend the existing infrastructure that took decades and the combined work of thousands. Good luck with that.

Keep the enthusiasm, but find a more manageable goal. I speak from experience that aiming big may feel good, but the bigger your goal, the bigger the disappointment and heartbreak when you fall on your ass. "Smaller" does necessarily mean small, though.

Find something you're interested in and do cool shit with that. If that's networking, develop new algorithms for routing data without duplication. Find ways to heal mesh networks reliably. You figure that out, your name will be in the history textbooks and your contributions will live far past your own life.

Attached: 1505395202035.png (190x215, 22K)

one man managed to change existing structures within a decade plus minus a few years. Admittedly, he didnt accomplish it with programming and he simultaneously got the entire rest of the world pretty riled up, but hey it's possible.

Hex Maniac

Oh, it's certainly possible. I don't know who you're talking about, specifically, but Linus Torvalds is a good example of someone who changed the world.

People like that are literally one in hundreds of millions. Sure, you could be the next Linus Torvalds, but don't bank on it. Doesn't mean you can't still do cool shit.

Oh I don't think I could ever be happy with that. I want to write as efficiently as I can as a base, I don't expect to be much better than india scripting to begin, but ill make sure I refine until i'm efficient. I don't know how important crypto will be to start, I think I can learn about it in depth later.

The goal isn't really to change the 'world' just a small part of it thats always been here and has since been coralled together with the rest of them. Don't worry, I'm firm on my idea, what form it will take may vary, but i'm not here to argue whether its right or wrong. I'm just going to help provide what I think is missing from the net today.

spbp

>I'm Robin Hood and want to steal from the rich and give to the poor
FTFY - Commie

Attached: ayyy cuckerberg.png (639x628, 626K)

How would the VR file sys stuff be more efficient than just desktop stuff? Also have you read necromancer?

neuromancer*

I do not think you'll need any advanced math, actually.

Webdev has nothing but addition, multiplication, division and subtraction. Some geometry if you are doing 3D things (actual 3D, as in WebGL, not faux-3D gradient buttons) or drawing things in SVG.
For programming, it depends on the course. The concept of algorithm complexity and big O notation will come in handy, but it will almost certainly be covered in the course.
Logarithms, exponentials, polynomials all show up, but only the basics, ie. what they are and how to handle them.
Binary and hexadecimal notation: what they are, how to convert between them.

But everything should be covered on the course.
If the course includes mathematics as an academic subject, then all bets are off. I am not entirely clear how your education system works.

As for web traffic, do not let fear of complexity stop you from reading about things.
You do not need to grok everything from the get-go; just read stuff and understanding will come in time.

And eventually, we will make the dream come true.

Also because no one on the internet is helpful in any fucking way, let me get ya started. Go read the book Hacking: The Art of Exploitation. Just shut the fuck up and go read. It's gonna be complicated as hell, google and be resourceful with things you don't understand. However it teaches you a lot of how computers work and will get the fool started on his journey. Also here's a link: leaksource.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/hacking-the-art-of-exploitation.pdf . Just shut the fuck up, quit doing other summer fag stuff, and read it

It's one of my personal wants, I don't know if it would beat the efficiency of something that's worked for years, at least not without a lot of R n D for interaction. But being able to look at most or all of a folder's images at once and being able to see and remember their physical physical locations, surely you could see some value in that. VR is obviously still young, but i'm eager to experiment and find out what does work in a VR spaxe as far as interfaces go. And no I have not read neuromancer, should I?

I'll make sure to brush up on all of these in the meantime, programming will definitely be a focus at some point so i'll probably need it. Thank you for the cheatsheet and your support.

I don't have the luxery of being a summerfag i'm afraid, but I appreciate the help and will be sure to read it.