/hsg/ - Home server general

Discuss building, setting up your own homeserver and maintaining the services and demons on it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3, Asus Tinker or Odroid XU4/HC1.

Are you interested in learning Linux or BSD administration and configuration better? Becoming a systemd expert? Or maybe you hate that shit and want a cozy little BSD machine to run services on and interact with. Or practice more advanced and complicated networking setups.

>News
entertainment.slashdot.org/story/18/06/13/0059208/the-internet-is-finally-going-to-be-bigger-than-tv-worldwide
tech.slashdot.org/story/18/06/12/1924209/internet-luminaries-urge-eu-to-kill-off-automated-copyright-filter-proposal

>Chat
discord.gg/9vZzCYz
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_

Attached: 1504199246222.jpg (1220x608, 154K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ostechnix.com/backup-entire-linux-system-using-rsync/
debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.backup.html#id-1.12.13.11
warosu.org/g/?ghost=yes&task=search&search_text=/hsg/&offset=372
twitter.com/AnonBabble

kill yourself you fucking faggot with your faggy discord

I'm planning a nas with sata support. I filtered celerons with low tdp and found a mobo with a soldered cpu that costs like 60€ on ebay. is this good? plan to use openmediavault on it
suck me I copied the content from the archive

Attached: 1522569921346.jpg (1024x629, 114K)

I will never buy any AMD product in my life, even if Ryzen and Epic is 10 times faster than the newest Xeon I will still buy it because in the future Xeons will eventually be better again and I want to make sure I stay true to my brand...

Attached: IMG_20180525_154005.jpg (3120x4160, 1.65M)

>I want to make sure I stay true to my brand...
What kind of mental illness has such self destructive behavior as a symptom?

Attached: 1500924288390.png (621x911, 690K)

If someone has a FreeNAS setup with a RAID Z, can they just move it to a linux machine as long as it speaks ZFS?

Attached: derp.png (689x479, 544K)

Yes. Export the pool, shut down the system, move disks or boot Linux, import pool. The version of ZFS on the new Linux box has to be recent enough to support whatever feature flags are enabled on the pool. This isn't usually a problem but if you're using an older distro you might have to use backports or the like. Note that there's no danger here, ZFS will recognize if a pool is a more recent version that has features it doesn't understand, and will refuse to import it.

When did /hsg/ get a discord?

What I run. I also have an older Mac I plan to use as another server if I can get yaboot to work.

Attached: Screenshot_20180628-095630.png (720x1440, 171K)

dunno. as I said I just copied and pasted the previous thread

Anyone know if there are some common guides, software libraries for interfacing a computer with smart devices e.g. wifi light bulb / speakers

Can't wait for the embedded Ryzens with a dozen cores/threads.

It always had one AFAIK.
Joined some 3 months ago, so it's nothing new

What if intel goes bankrupt?

it hasnt you retard

I got a Raspi.
How do I make a proper backup?
I was thinking of rsync, but I assume it can't just mirror the entire system to an SD card.
Ideally that would be my goal: Either an up-to-date image or an SD-card with a full copy of my system, so that I can easily pop in a replacement once my current card fails.

I'm kinda scared of losing my setup to the fact that SD cards have nothing to prevent them from suddenly dying.

At work we have a setup where two SANs mirror each other and that works with rsync, iirc, but I assume there's some aspect to it that makes it unfeasible here.

ok

The proper way would be to just automate configuration of it with ansible/puppet/chef

who?

>I was thinking of rsync, but I assume it can't just mirror the entire system to an SD card.
It mirrors data just fine, but you'll have to make the correct disk layout (partitions, filesystems) yourself. Then just use the -a and --delete options to keep the data in sync.

>ansible/puppet/chef
I heard some of these words before but thought they were just shit hipster IT guys use.

Any hint of where to begin? I get from your post that I can automate the configuration, but what about the data? I got SSL keys and shit on there.

So, is attaching storage to the Pi, then rsyncing a mirror of the entire system onto it a valid plan?

>backup
>ansible/puppet/chef

just shit posting here
how worth it is getting an associates degree in "IT"
A local college has it and i will need to be taking classes for my house arrest to be acceptable it is either that or electrician

electrician

reasons? I'm going to tour the place in a hour or so i'll be on house arrest for a year and a half and i'll get the diploma then too.

No company will hire someone with a criminal record for IT. You're better off as a builder.

ya I figured.. oh well thanks user

The boot drive you tard

They're scripting tools basically. They're a pain in the ass to setup, but once you have you can create 1000 systems easily. It also acts as documentation so you know every change you've made to a system, in case you replace one system with another. Pic related is my Ansible script to install and configure samba to join my linux VMs to my AD domain

>Any hint of where to begin?
google it.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 12.53.52 PM.png (3360x2100, 1.12M)

>They're scripting tools basically. They're a pain in the ass to setup
That's why people just use ssh. remove the frontends and it's less complex.

SSH isnt scalable, and isnt cross platform. And if you list it on your resume people will laugh at you, whereas there are lots of devops jobs for ansible/chef/puppet

>SSH isnt scalable
How do you figure?
I've managed racks of Linux machines with ssh and make. SSH is fine and many of those programs use it in the backend if they haven't created their own daemon.

They do use it, but it isnt scalable to log in to every system manually and enter the commands. Or if you want to script it, there is a reason why ansible/chef/puppet exists. Want to clone a VM from a template in vSphere, its a few lines of YML using an existing module in ansible, whereas you get to write hundreds of lines of your own code to do it via a shell script. There is a reason why RedHat bought ansible for $150 million.

>There is a reason why RedHat bought ansible for $150 million.
To profit from retards who don't know ssh/make.

>search for rsync backup guides
>find this
ostechnix.com/backup-entire-linux-system-using-rsync/

I'm not sure whether that's pajeet or South Africa. Either way, the writing makes me feel like my brain is melting.

I'll move to via

debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.backup.html#id-1.12.13.11

Does something like this exist?

Attached: Untitled.png (408x426, 5K)

why is one ethernet red and other blue?

the red ethernet is the 'main' cable connected to my router which gives the hub internet.

the hub receives that internet and then shares it across any (blue) ethernet cable plugged into a hub.

My room is upstairs, and Im tired of running additional ethernet cables up to my room. With this method, I only have to run 1 cable up to my room, and use the hub in my room to connect to any other device that may need LAN.

Are you seriously asking if an internet switch exists.....

ironically enough I tried googling 'ethernet hub', and it seems to be an actual thing. You plug 1 cable into the hub, and it spreads that ethernet across all hubs.

It's not an ethernet switch, that's completely different.

same old

Attached: IMG_20180625_211518.jpg (1028x1828, 419K)

Yeah, you can use a special piece of equipment called router.

in that case he is asking for an actual hub, and yes ethernet hubs exist, but whats the point of using one of them these days?

what you're talking about is actually called a hub
the main problem with that sort of thing is network collisions which slow down transmissions big time
I don't think they're even made anymore, a switch is a much better solution

Nah that's not the solution here

It seems a Switch does what I want aswell, so I'll buy that. So what's a good switch for 3+ devices?

basically anything with gigabit support
so pretty much any switch on the market that was made in the last 5 years
Netgear is decent, I guess

>Netgear is decent, I guess
no

Does anyone have any alternatives to Zoneminder? It's decades behind.

Just set up my first Samba server

lol @ gentoo

using github, these iditos cant even host their own git.

t. hosts his own git

How would I start off with a good network ran from my spare closet? Modem + router? Good switches? Hardware firewall? I took 1 semester of the CCNA like a year ago so I know what a subnet is but that's about it; I don't even know where to start. Just pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

Samba
So im practicing setting up a samba on my linux mint partition until pic related comes in.
I mainly plan on using it as a NAS that is hooked up to my hacked PS2 so I can play games through the NIC using OPL.
no matter what I seem to do, I cannot get the PS2 to see this shit. It works fine with my windows partition.

Also in the smb client that im using to test it, it will not let guests have any browsing. ls does not work. I keep getting an error message. "NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED"

I know mint is shit and I think linux is cool and all, but I really am about to just give up and use windows. I'll give it another go when I get pic related.

Also, what is the cheapest way to setup a windows share server?

Attached: s-l500[1].jpg (500x280, 20K)

t. git

If you're too retarded to figure out what you want to do, you clearly dont have the ability to get it done.

Any tips for buying used server hardware? Having trouble finding something that isn't expensive or a power hog.
Looking for something with 6+ SATA ports, so SBCs aren't an option. Would prefer something with DDR3 support as I have some extra RAM sitting around.
I'm looking to run email, torrent+rss, file server, vpn, and site scraping, so I don't need anything too powerful.

the /hsg/ discord server is shit, i joined for a few days and it was nothing but talking about dicks, traps, and dumb users talking about their totally original bands
it would be fine if it was in an off topic channel but theres literally only one text channel iirc and its a hot fucking mess

also my homeserver is some alienware x51 r2 i had lying around and it tries its best and im learning more about networking and web design on my own faster than any book or course could have taught me

Attached: m.png (1684x2450, 104K)

>Having trouble finding something that isn't expensive or a power hog.
>Looking for something with 6+ SATA ports, so SBCs aren't an option.
SuperMicro makes Xeon-d boards with 16 port LSI SAS controllers on board. They start at $600 for the dual core and go up to around $2k i think for the 16 core.

>the /hsg/ discord server is shit
no shit sherlock, what do you expect from people using discord. they're all retards who larp

>alienware x51 r2
you're larping too

not larping, was something i had for a while and i felt bad leaving it alone
if i get more cash to spend id like to actually have one of those neat rackmount kind of servers but the silly gaymer meme pc works for now

Attached: 1515277206122.jpg (726x724, 194K)

dual core version is a 25 watt chip including the 10GB PHY, not sure how much the LSI chip draws, but im guessing under 15 watts. They go up to 65 watts iirc for the 16 core

Attached: X10SDV-7TP4F_spec.jpg (261x222, 16K)

You know you can actually improve performance on that Xeon by taking a soldering iron and soldering each corner to the pins immediately to the side and down. Intel keeps them seperate so that they can release faster processors in the future without actually having to change anything in the die itself.

Hi Jow Forums noob here,

I'm thinking about building a new homeserver. It'll be mainly used for Plex (incl transcoding) other then that some development work, samba share, etc.

What would Jow Forums recommend? Build a server myself Xeon X5680, etc)? Or stick with something like the a ProLiant ML *? Or other suggestions?

pic related: current homeserver.

thanks

Attached: currentserver.png (747x300, 16K)

> What would Jow Forums recommend?
> Listening to Jow Forums, ever...

That said, what are you transcoding? If you want to do GPU transcoding, a GTX1030 will do two streams at 4K. If you go that route, CPU doesn't matter, unless you plan on doing a large amount of streams.

I'm transcoding mostly just simple HD movies/series for 1 client at a time.

I was doing 1080p transcoding on a Microserver G8 with a Xeon 1220L.

You should be fine with anything 2nd gen core i or above. I'm pretty sure the AMD equivalent is fine, but I have no experience with AMD CPU's of that era.

Alright thanks

it literally always had a discord

I'm waiting for these things too but there hasn't been any news on actual availability since their launch in February
Maybe I should just build a regular ryzen box with ECC instead

Attached: 10-1260.jpg (1260x840, 147K)

Is there a current version of the Orange Pi Zero?

The fact that it has no display headers but an ethernet port really appeals to me. It's like the Pi Zero, but useful.

It hasnt you retard

warosu.org/g/?ghost=yes&task=search&search_text=/hsg/&offset=372

>Asus Tinker
ive seen them cheap but how good are they for running like a seedbox for ~100 torrents or as a nas?