twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

#shell
echo enter the word shell:
read shell
echo $shell

/bin/ksh
As it should be.

/bin/fish

Attached: 588514499.jpg (1024x768, 614K)

/bin/bash

/bin/zsh

/bin/ash

dash

Attached: devilish.jpg (199x253, 12K)

/bin/rc

Attached: 1521117707186.jpg (1280x720, 122K)

/bin/sh

Nice bait

Attached: 1528111057134.png (657x527, 35K)

Yeah I'm not running that
I bet it's like that xxd malware script

Jow Forums shell when?

thanks ;]

github.com/rain-1/s

/bin/bash

anyone who disagrees is not in the smart guy club

kek. Friendly Shell
>translation: noob shell

look, unless your $SHELL is set to $(rm -rf /*) which ii
t shouldn't ever be, this won't do any harm

Attached: 1524349007754.jpg (750x570, 259K)

What's the difference between bash and shell

bash is GNU only.

don't listen to this guy

bash and tcsh and the others people have listed here are programs that serve as the command line interface when you log onto a unix system. those command-line-interface programs are referred to as "shells" in unix speak.

you can write scripts, or lists of commands, into a text file that you can feed to your shell either by putting a #! "shebang" at the beginning of the text file telling it which shell should be used to execute the file, or by doing "source myScript.wtfsh" to open up myScript.wtfsh and run all the commands in there. some people would call scripts like that "shell scripts". and then if you upload that to github, then github might say that your code is written in "shell". but "shell" isn't a real language, that's just an abuse of terminology.

>but "shell" isn't a real language
don't listen to this guy

shell isn't a real language!

every shell has different syntax, that's why you need to make sure your shebang points to the exact correct shell in which to execute your shell script.

if you wrote this:
export MYPATH=/my/dir:${MYPATH}
that would do something in bash, but it would generate an error in tcsh. in tcsh it would be
setenv MYPATH /my/dir:$MYPATH
they do the exact same thing but the syntax is different in the two different shells. because shell is not a language

>shell isn't a real language!
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/xcu_chap02.html

Posix Unix says it is. and csh isn't posix.

Great explanation! Thanks user!

posix says a lot of stuff, and whether or not the real world complies with posix standards is not very consistent.

if you upload a tcsh script to github, then github's language analyzer will tell you that it's written in "shell". that's the common terminology.

"shell" means "it's written in the format it needs to be so that you can feed to a shell". if the shell you feed it to happens to be tcsh, then, despite your whining that it's not "real shell" because of some old document, most people would call it "a shell script" anyway

nobody says they know "shell" anyhow. people say "i'm good at shell scripting" or "i know bash really well". because most people don't think of "shell" as a language

>posix is stoopid
>github knows whats up
ok, timmy, time for bed.

echo $SHELL
/bin/zsh

>shell isn't a real language!
shells are very much a language senpai. shitty ones at that too.
they're only good as basic bitch ui's

fish

>shells are very much a language senpai. shitty ones at that too.
so now you're on a different line of argument from this other guy, you're admitting there is no single language called "shell" because each shell has its own different syntax, so shell scripts need to be written differently for different shells.

i think we're on the same page

and yes, i agree that plenty of assholes write long convoluted shell scripts instead of picking a good scripting language instead.

but the fact that there are a lot of people writing "shell scripts" for various different shells does not mean that "shell" is a language.

i would say that for a tcsh script, i'd call the language "tcsh command language" or "tcsh script language" or "tcsh syntax" but not "shell language"

>there is no single language called "shell"
yes there is. as defined by posix.

the fuck? only a retard would say there is but one "shell"

POSIX defined /bin/sh would be the closest, but even meme languages like perl6, python, nodejs also offer repls that could be used as shells if you tried hard enough. fuck off.

also no i dind't read your block of faggy bullshit written by you.

this guy's got it:
posix standards are just some canonical recommendations that often don't resemble the real world.

the fact that you think some ancient posix book is more reliable than github -- which supports a massive community or real world developers -- is pretty silly. we're talking about real-world definitions

>the fact that you think some ancient posix book is more reliable than github
KYS.

posix is literally garbage though. not even memeing. it has some pluses for existing, but a lot of nonfree fag shit doesn't fully encompass it (macos for one) and generally gnu extensions to posix standards are better anyhow.

>but a lot of nonfree fag shit doesn't fully encompass it
you should kys for getting political in a technical discussion.

politics encompasses literally every aspect of life, whether you like it or not.

and nonfree shit is garbage.

>>>/poll/ poltard.

even technically, posix is just a guideline. it's not an authority.

look, you think apache knows their shit? the guys who wrote mapreduce and spark and hadoop?

well hdfs, the hadoop file system, is not posix compliant. because they needed to go beyond it.

posix are nice guidelines to make sure people follow conventions, but they're just guidelines.

if you're such a fan of posix, what do you think of systemd? doesn't that violate posix standards?

fuck off with your bashisms.

/usr/bin/fish

c-shell she sells on the c-shore

> but a lot of nonfree fag shit doesn't fully encompass it (macos for one)

macOS is full POSIX compliant.

> generally gnu extensions to posix standards are better anyhow.

No.

>well hdfs, the hadoop file system, is not posix compliant. because they needed to go beyond it.

also this.
posix aio is one of the latest garbage town disasters of posix.posix in a lot of ways is just legacy garbage.

fuck off with your shitty shell that can't even do basic shit like enumerate a string character by character without a crapload of hassle or even doing basic shit like arrays without using function scoped positional params. or idk, having local variables?

hell POOSIX sh can't even handle unicode escapes like \Uhhhhhhhh, etc.

what about ? oh right poosix sh can't even process subst so it can't even replicate lastpipe. some shells can't even do $(jobs) because of how loose and shit poosix is on such behavior.

bashism > your faggy posix shell
hell I'd argue zsh is even better but no one uses it other than for interactive shell use.

I'm glad you faggot GNU Linux retards do not write portable code, keeps the cancer contained.

>even doing basic shit like arrays
use awk. it's funny that Linux babby's don't even know standard unix commands. You faggots are worse than wintards.

lmao.

I'm more than aware of how awk works. it's a pretty basic language however and doen't really help with all the use cases that make bash array or hashes useful.

anybody who writes shell scripts and wants them to count as "portable code" is worse than a COBOL programmer.

NOBODY, and i mean NOBODY besides the most retarded of idiots writes a shell script in pure '.sh' syntax more than 5 lines long and expects it to be portable. that's why they also write it in .csh too if it needs to be taken seriously. but hopefully everyone uses a good scripting language like python (which is intrinsically portable) for scripts that are more sophisticated than 5 lines of bash or tcsh.

>I'm more than aware of how awk works
git better; you still suck at it.

>anybody who writes shell scripts and wants them to count as "portable code" is worse than a COBOL programmer.
I don't understand, how does this make any sense to anyone that isn't as retarded as you are?

/usr/bin/fish

>git better; you still suck at it.
doubtful. it's literally a very basic and shitty language with a lot of quirks like, no first class regexp types. weirdly enough gnu-isms have made awk actually useful though:
bignum math, switch/case syntax, first class functions, true multidimensional arrays, isarray(), sorts that take a delegate, even basic shit like \xhh escapes, proper multibyte encoding support and fucking \0 record separators.

>first class functions

meant to type first class regexps.... but whatever.

It's written for one liners you retard.
You don't even know the purpose of the language.

>I don't understand, how does this make any sense to anyone that isn't as retarded as you are?

because shell scripts depend on the particular shell they're written for... duh?

you yourself say you insist on "only posix compliant shells... but by the way tcsh is not compliant with posix!"

so your code only works on a few shells, and will generate errors in the second-most popular shell.
SO PORTABLE RITE?!

"portable" and "shell scripting" should probably never be used in the same sentence. write a real piece of code, like one that, i donno, compiles?

if you pride yourself on shell scripting, and then you say "oh wait I only shell script for sh or bash, not csh or tcsh" then i'm surprised you can make a living with that kind of ridiculousness. because whatever you do would be NOT PORTABLE inasmuch as it would only work for people who choose not to use the 2nd most popular shell

Attached: most_used_shells.png (722x345, 39K)

>it's written for one liner you retard.

jesus fucking christ kid. do you even have a job?

if you're pulling out awk, there is no reason to not just use awk. calling it to do shit like { print $3 } when it's a fully turing complete and powerful text parsing language is literally missing the point of awk.

now fuck off you butthurt kiddo and accept that the GNU + Linux chads are superior to you.

You clearly don't get that shell programming is posix shell programming. Until you understand that you will be just another linux retard that doesn't know Unix for dick.

>if you're pulling out awk, there is no reason to not just use awk.
Clearly a retard. You have no idea how Unix handles composition.
Stay in your cancerous containment OS.

>programming
>"programming" a language that is copypasta of what you run on the command line, and doesn't compile

shell programming is worse than COBOL programming, as i said. learn a real language, like C or C++ or Java, you know, something that compiles, and then get back to me.

shell scripting is for COBOL-level programmers

(well actually it's for average users to set up their .bashrc or .tcshrc, since it's braindead "let me copypaste my commands into some file to get it to work automatically", but unfortunately you've convinced me that someone might actually be making a living at this detritus)

>m-muh pipelines that are slower than one inline gnu awk script.

stay mad idiot. I do this fag shit for a living and profile. pipelines are harmful when you can just do all your "text garbage" in one language like gnu awk. gnu awk also has an internal representation that's fast--you aren't compiling/interpreting like 3-4 dsl's for literally one line of code, accepts shell values safely through -v awkval="$SHELLVAR" and much more. even faggy YOU NICKS awk is still aceptable for some uses.

just stop. GNU + Linux is the chad POZZIX programmer's choice. anything else is cuck, incomplete, garbage.

>only compiled languages are "programming"
KYS

>I do this fag shit for a living
yeah, there are a lot of shit programmers today aren't there. But hey at least your shit python is "enterprise class production ready!!" in your delusional mind.

>GNU - Linux is gud!
Still trying to catch up with 2005 era Solaris.

no, python is a real language. and so is ruby.

but she’ll scripting is just copypasta of command line stuff. not for real programming

>she’ll scripting
fuckin' phoneposters are faggots.

1) solaris is literally deprecated.
2) gnu + linux surpassed solarize so bad that solaris engineer's best reply was calling gnu/linux chads, virgins.
3) how's it feel to be a jobless neet? I don't do python programming, but python is unironically better than shell scripting. most of my work is sadly shell scripting though because of retarded corporate technical debt and really stupid decisions. I'm looking for a new job, but am glad to have been forced to learn how shit shells and shell tools are, unless they are GNU shell tools.

>unironically using anything but /bin/bash
shiggy

>solaris is literally deprecated.
you're not convincing anyone of anything except your are fucking clueless
>gnu + linux surpassed solaris
Stole ZFS because butter is shit
Systemd is SMF's retarded cousin
Look guys! we FINALLY GOT containers 10 years after you did!
I can't wait until you actually clone dtrace.

yeah real fucking innovative there, CHOAD!

kek. you caught me. outside on a cig break.

anyhow not a real argument. shell scripting is "i don't know how to make a real program so let me write some for SHIT in $MYDUMBARRAY[@]; do echo $MYDUMBSHIT | $SHIT >> myLogFileOfShitWork.shit; done; instead of actually doing it the right way

itprotoday.com/cloud-data-center/oracle-drops-plans-solaris-12

oops.

So you don't know how to read.

it's on life support and you know it. they fired a lot of their staff and pushed off the next release to a future date so they can fully consider the pros and cons of killing the bastardized shit heap once and for all.

>killing the bastardized shit heap
This coming from gnutard while driving an OS bolted together with staples and chewing gum.
I'm glad you admitted that you can't read for understanding.

honestly i don't understand why a guy who uses solaris would shill against FOSS operating systems

solaris is proof that oracle only supports their OS as far as it makes them money; then once they find a cheaper alternative, the support goes away and you're fucked. OTOH linux is here to stay, even if RedHat and Google and etc. drop it, it still has a FOSS base that would get community support, at least for a while

>t. FreeBSD fanboy

Engineered OS's are superior, like I said, Linux is catching up with shit I was using in 2006. Linux is stagnant.
Even OpenIndiana/Illumos lags behind Oracle Solaris.
For example oracle ZFS has encryption (which isn't that important to datacenters)
But Oracle solaris uses openbsd's PF for firewalling/packet filtering which is great and illumos said it would take too much engineering time to do it.

Paid engineers do it better.

That's a conch.

Attached: maxresdefault(2).jpg (1280x720, 41K)

>Conch is a common name that is applied to a number of different medium to large-sized shells.

fuck off

i totally agree with most of what you said, that paid engineers generally do it better.

and i think academic engineers generally could do it second-best, given sufficient funding, a la FreeBSD

the problem is that there are plenty of examples where paid engineers totally fuck it up, like Windows. for years that's just been completely inferior to any unix-based system (and remember that unix was developed by paid engineers but funded substantially through research grants)

anyhow closed-source is not the way to go, because it can go "poof" for all the users whenever the corporate douches at the top decide who needs to be fired to keep the company in the green. like what ever happened to plan 9? an objectively better design than any other unix-family operating system got shut down because "oh muh profits"

at least the BSD distros are open-source, unlike Solaris and HP-UX. so they can keep the blood flowing even after the corporations divest

>at least the BSD distros are open-source, unlike Solaris
Solaris exists in opensource. It's called illumos.
It's ATT SVR4 and was opensourced along with it.

Opensolaris (2005) forked to Illumos in 2010

Attached: myimage.png (870x140, 30K)

>Paid engineers do it better.
.I'm going to conveniently ignore the fact that most linux contributions come from paid developers because it doesn't fit my retarded world view on software

this solaris fag is unironically one of the worst Jow Forums posters i've seen all of this year.

>.I'm going to conveniently ignore the fact that most linux contributions come from paid developers because it doesn't fit my retarded world view on software

Stay stagnant. but hey you get those great laptop wifi drivers!

Eshell master race checking in: masteringemacs.org/article/complete-guide-mastering-eshell

>Stay stagnant
I'm not a nonfree unix user so this is practically impossible.

and ya, I do. I also have a functioning DRM/DRI stack that can render things like spinning 3d cubes or direct3d11 to vulkan compilers.

>I'm not a nonfree unix user so this is practically impossible.
Doesn't compute. Considering you're still trying to do what Solaris did in 2005.
But hey! you got SMF's retarded little cousin in many of your distros now, so go be happy with that.

nice b8 m8, I rate it 8/8.

I didn't realize you were just memeing till now, I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from trolling in the future since it is against the rules. If you aren't memeing use a trip so i can filter you. thank you for your cooperation.

your posts have generally been intelligent and informative. so i like that.

but i get the impression that you are super-pro oracle. like, at the exclusion of google and microsoft and etc.

i get the feeling you work for oracle?

and if you do that's fine. good people work for oracle. but i just want to make sure you're not an oracle "advertiser". you're not a paid oracle shill right?

Yup perfect example of delusion.
But see, I don't mix politics with technology.
If something is good I use it.
Keep living in the cult of freetardism.

Attached: stallman-fsf.png (958x348, 18K)

can you give me a link to that?

i love stallman because he did a lot for the free software movement, but occasionally i find dudes who say "he's one of the greatest coders of all time" and i need to show them he's more of a political figure than a techie guy

lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg00635.html

I don't doubt stallmans was a great programmer, it's too bad he wasted his skill by reinventing the wheel. The majority of what he did was already a solved problem.

monero

this

Newfag

dash - login
elvish - interactive

/bin/mksh
As it should be.