ELI5: Hatred behind systemd

ELI5: Hatred behind systemd

Attached: obey_linux_by_simpletoker.jpg (600x782, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>ELI5:
what the fuck does that mean you dumb nigger

Nothing, Jow Forums just full of jobless autistic ppl

It's mostly a meme that fizzbuzzers who installed Arch on a VM one time like to sprout. Fear of new things is a common thread on Jow Forums.

Not to say there aren't valid criticisms of systemd, but the way Jow Forums acts it's like every major distro dev team are just drooling retards who never took a few minutes to think about if systemd is a good idea or not.

I think it means "explain like I'm 5". It also means that OP is redditfag

Lennart Poeterring, not following the UNIX philosophy because it does tonnes of shit really badly into of one thing really well, generally unstable, poor performance

What a childish and simplistic worldview you retards have. There are totally valid criticisms against systemd. There are reasons the criticisms are a thing outside Jow Forums in the first place.

>ELI5
>people responding seriously
This must be the nu-Jow Forums I hear so much about.

>Not to say there aren't valid criticisms of systemd

learn to retard you utter fucktard

You must be 18+ to post. Go back to little nigger

It means you are a reddit fag too

Lennart Poeterring broke into my house and raped my dog.

TIL new redditlingo

MRW

Attached: 1516252217216.jpg (3198x1799, 194K)

There's a LOT of reasons why people don't like it, and I think the people who don't like it all likely have their own reasons for not liking it.

Here's a posting about someone discovering a massive memory leak that used up 4GB of ram. While I have yet to see something this massive, I have definitely noticed Systemd using more memory than the alternatives, and some leakage here and there as well.
serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime

Some see it as an unnecessary security risk due to its massive attack surface. It recently hit 1 million lines of code.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity

Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep. The project ends up assimilating things that historically should not have anything to do with init. gif related.
suckless.org/sucks/systemd

There's also some other design decisions that people have an issue with, such as using Google DNS by default (because of course systemd can handle DNS), using binary logs, etc.

Lastly there's the conspiracy theory side of it, which alleges that systemd is an NSA attempt to compromise GNU/Linux, and due to Systemd as a project moving way too fast, it can't be properly audited.
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/

For more links and arguments, see:
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Attached: Systemd_anigif.gif (200x133, 772K)

still better than
>redpill me on $X

to expand upon the DNS issue, pic related

Attached: SystemdDNS.jpg (1432x1700, 785K)

and finally, the infamous motherboard brick

Attached: fucksystemd.png (1280x2084, 619K)

>eli5
REDDIT NIGGER SPOTTED
MODS MOOOODDDDDDDDDDDS

Attached: 1524002996757.jpg (645x756, 158K)

Takes one to know one. You have unwittingly ousted yourselves as Redditors.

Jow Forums=reddit

stop playing yourselves everybody already knows

This systemd thing sounds like a shit load of fuck. I have a box with debian installed, how do I check if it uses systemd and how do I remove it/use another thing?

If you need to ask then you are running systemdachau

>debian installed
It has systemd. Install Devuan or MX Linux. Those are basically Debian without Systemd.

>ELI5

Fuck off back to R.eddit you stupid brainlet.

>implying you need to go to reddit to see that shit

retards like you make that obsolete

I just love booting my kernel using systemd-boot and let systemd-udevd recognizes my devices automatically, then initiate my network using systemd-networkd and other services I set up using systemctl, then open my browser systemd-chromed and go to systemd-4chand and see latest posts, I also sometimes listen to systemd-spotifyd when I am working in my systemd-companyd, I open my editor systemd-atomd and just fucking work until it's systemd-5'ockockd, then go systemd-homed and set up a timer to make my systemd-lifed repeats itself 5 days a systemd-weekd

Attached: 12519375_1704161366494085_1129948087_n.jpg (480x480, 23K)

ebin

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY BOARD!!!!!!
FUCKING JEW COCKSUCKERS
GO CHOKE ON A JEW DICK SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

people who hate systemd are the same people who post about their mom cleaning their room
>"I HAD THINGS SET UP THE WAY I WANTED IT!!!"

Nope

And so have you, by your own logic.

Monolithic shit

Use a microkernel with BSD utils

literally what

Literally: ONE FUCKING JOB

When you boot your machine, the first process that runs is the init system given the PID 1 ( process id 1). This process has a simple job. Initialize the system. Like, check hardware, start your daemons, start your X server, and any other services like sound etc. PID process should be simple small programs like SysVinit, OpenRC, Runit etc.

Systemd which initially claimed to be a init system (now they don't claim to be), starts as PID 1. Sure it initializes the system, but then it doesn't just leave the system alone when that is over.

Problem 1: After initializing the system, Systemd starts doing shit that none of it's business and the most ridiculous of them is trying to manage your DNS host. What the fuck?

Problem 2: PID 1 systems should be small. Systemd is not. What if your computer has less memory? If you computer has problems running PID 1 process, then it won't be able to boot. Systemd is a huge fucking monster.

Problem 3: Processes should be do one thing and one thing only. Systemd's way of trying to do everything is bad because bugs are easy to happen if you try to do everything.

>>> TINFOIL HAT ON