Is Vim just a meme?

Is it important for a senior web developer to know Vim?

Our lead dev roasted me for months for using Vim mode in VSC and he doesn't know any vim except i, :w, :q.
However, recently I've used my new vim skills to solve a bunch of issues on remote servers.

Attached: vim_screenshot.png (2188x1353, 279K)

Other urls found in this thread:

zzapper.co.uk/vimtips.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's important to get shit done. Some people get a of shit done with text editors like vim or nano. Others do the same with Visual Studio or super heavy addons.

They are just tools. Use whatever you are most comfortable with.

personally it's helpful to be familiar with it given how ubiquitous vi is and vim skills transfer quite readily to that.
does everyone need to know it? Nah. Does knowing it make you god? Nah.
It's my go-to, but I don't make it a point to install it on every single OS.

It helps if you do remote pairing which is much easier to do in a terminal. Or need to do some operations on a *nix machine. But in the end someone else will appear and tell you to use emacs and then you can open another thread. Ultimately it is just a tool to get shit done. If you deliver as fast with notepad.exe then the guy with his spacemacs custom whatever plugins you are fine.

What do you use for text editing over ssh?

, here. vim with practically default config save for a handful of custom macros
if not available i.e. osx, default vi is fine.

Vim might be a very powerful tool, but for editing config files, writing .txt documents and compiling .tex files I just use nano. It's light, it's fast and it's easy to customize.

Attached: 2018-06-25-221659_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 658K)

I love vim. I've never regretted learning or using it. It made my life a lot more fun.

Started my internship last week, and have been exposed to a decent bit of Vim so far. Any help for a beginner?

run "vimtutor" from the command line. Enjoy!

>vimtutor
>"haha here is a 40 page step-by-step instruction on how to do the most mundane and trivial text editing tasks that are somehow insanely non-trivial in vim"
>"practise for only 10 hours a day and in only 1-5 years you'll be having no trouble hjkl-navigating those files!"
the literal linux equivalent of pic related

google "how do I indent a block of code in vim", "how do I comment out a block in vim", "how do I break up a very long line in vim"
also learn about command recording with q

Attached: Clippy-letter.png (130x308, 10K)

Vim is indeed just a meme. If you are not going to go full on emacs you may as well just program in visual studio

Attached: 1530164380788.png (483x470, 184K)

Vi(m) is great to do remote stuff on server, or even program in languages like C that don't really need an IDE.

But don't be the 28 year old boomer who uses neovim like an IDE, with 140 plugins written in 5 different languages. In that case you might as well just use IntelliJ.

What about CLion?

>the 20 yo boomer meme

Vi(m) on the remote box if I don't have key auth set up, Spacemacs+TRAMP if I do.

It is a meme. Emacs + tramp + evil mode completely obliterate vim.

I literally cannot think of a reason to use proper vim unless you have some weird auth issues opening files with tramp on remote servers.

No, it's not a meme. It's a legitimately great editor that can get the job done very efficiently once you know it well enough. Don't bother listening to what some "lead dev" tells you.
Thst said, nothing wrong with not liking it and using something else instead if that's what you prefer. Use your favorite tools and focus on getting the job done.

Your lead dev felt intimated by your knowledge about vim. He felt incompetent in your presence, hence he bullied you.

Web devs are literally faggots. Drop that shit, learn C/C++ and become a REAL PROGAMER

I higly recommend the book "Practical Vim", it's full of small, simple and powerful tricks to add up your sleeve.

pdf?

>Our lead dev roasted me for months for using Vim mode
How does that work? What did he say?

Here's a good tip. Get a hold of vimtips, add it in with your helpfiles, you can google that or the info may be in the file. Any time you need it you can just :h vimtips. Full of cool stuff, basic and beyond. Very handy.

zzapper.co.uk/vimtips.html

Attached: 1497262283122.png (957x751, 28K)

>"practise for only 10 hours a day and in only 1-5 years you'll be having no trouble hjkl-navigating those files!"
bruh I learned how to move around in vim in like 1 hour. The fuck are you talking about?

you're so cool, bro; how did you become tfw so intelligent =D??

If you’ve gotta fix shit right the fuck now, vim is invaluable.

>Is Vim just a meme?
Not at all

>Is it important for a senior web developer to know Vim?
Not at all

>It made my life a lot more fun.
man must your life be a blast

Only nano. I'd sooner sftp the file from a headless server and use gedit or np++ than fire up vim to edit a handful of lines. I can use it, but I won't unless forced. It just feels so damn autistic.

Attached: 1524915194917.jpg (500x341, 105K)

Kakoune is the only non-meme editor.

>Emacs + tramp + evil mode completely obliterate vim.

This. I used neovim with a bunch of plugins that slowed it down and sometimes made working in vim a living nightmare.

Decided to try emacs with evil mode and never looked back.

It's on gen.lib.rus.ec.

OP's post is worded in a confusing way, but what I think he meant is that their lead dev roasted him for using VSC with vim mode instead of plain vim, and not for using VSC with vim mode instead of plain VSC.

senior web dev here
no one cares about your vim mad skillz
use whatever the team is using and save your teammates a headache
also, leave your loud ass keyboard at home

Thanks for the tips boys

Ed is the standard text editor.