Vega 8 replacement

so i built a ryzen 3 2200g rig but linux doesnt like vega 8 on board graphics. so i was wondering what would be a good cheap discrete gpu to replace it? something on the same performance level or a little better.

Attached: 61Z3x4dn9dL._SX425_.jpg (425x319, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

geizhals.at/?cat=mbam4&xf=317_B350~7090_HDMI 2.0#gh_filterbox
geizhals.eu/?cat=mbam4&xf=317_B350~7090_HDMI 2.0#gh_filterbox
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

niggers

Uh, any low tier geforce or radeon. like the 1030 or RX 540.

whats your budget
i would go with offhand hd 7790 or 7850 ~50 bux, for better performance than a 80 buck 1030 with GDDR5

>install free OS
>need to buy a $90 video card to use it

true but its amd who are dragging ass on supporting the ryzen cpus

1030 or 1050 will be gud
actually any low end will be good
i hope that 3200G will support linux and windows 7 :(

>linux doesnt like vega 8 on board graphics
LOONIX

rx 550 running fine here. didnt even reinstall or remove nouveau drivers.

just works.

What kernel version are you on?

I don't know if it's supported at all, but try updating to the latest kernel/MESA.

Don't go with Nvidia, you're warranted to have problems that way
Don't go with anything recent from AMD either, nor with anything pre-GCN, even first been GCN cards like the HD7970 might not work fine on your distro
Something like a R7 250 it's probably your best bet
But try this, recent versions of the kernel and Mesa/Xorg have much better support for the Vega APUs, also try the proprietary drivers (AMDGPU-PRO)

install windows

learn to handle drives
vega 8 runs fine on my linux box, but i'm probably not using a dogshit distro like you are

I have not (ab)used the 2200G but I do have the 2400G. I switched to git kernels because of the poor support and it did get there midway to 4.17 and it's fine with the 4.18 rc's. Not sure how much of a difference there is between 2200G and 2400G but I suspect there's very little. So .. you could save yourself some money by either switching to a more bleeding edge distribution or finding out how to use an overlay or something with newer experimental kernels for the one you're (ab)using.

If you tell us what distribution and kernel you're on then perhaps someone will help you out. Also, make sure you're actually using amdgpu and not the X radeon driver for the 2200G. Some distributions don't even install the xorg amdgpu driver, probably because the kernel shipped is too old - and the 2200G works badly with the old radeon (which isn't tested with it).

Give the 2200G another shot, OP, we'll help you get it working. Do it for her.

Oh, one last little detail, btw. The majority (all?) B350 motherboards have a HDMI 1.4 port - not 2.0. So if you want 4k 60Hz you're screwed (unless it has Displayport, most don't). And the DVI on mine is single - not dual (so 1080p max, not even 1440p).

Attached: AMD-booth_babe_12.jpg (550x572, 70K)

>The majority (all?) B350 motherboards have a HDMI 1.4 port - not 2.0.
From what I've seen, B350 mobos with HDMI seem to strongly tend to support HDMI 2.0 if you're using a Ryzen 2000 series CPU.
geizhals.at/?cat=mbam4&xf=317_B350~7090_HDMI 2.0#gh_filterbox

Oops, meant to post a link in English.
geizhals.eu/?cat=mbam4&xf=317_B350~7090_HDMI 2.0#gh_filterbox

Ryzen Vega CPUs have just hit the market, people don't really have them yet. If the kernel actually doesn't support it at all then it's going to, any minute now. USB 3 was supported in the kernel even before it was physically available. Like others have already said, make sure you have tried the newest kernels as well before giving up.

Funny you mention the ryzen apus and USB 3 and Linux in the same post
I tried installing manjaro beta builds with the newer kernels but for some reason it would freak out over my USB 3 on my Asus b350 board
2400G with a 580 Nitro + btw

Unless you use 4.17 or 4.18 kernel you're gonna have a hard time with Raven Ridge.
You could theoretically use 4.18 on something like Fedora, Ubuntu or Debian, but then you're gonna have to update Mesa, amdgpu, Xorg and whatnot, it's better to use a distro that uses the newest kernel outright

Stop being a retard and install a new kernel
Debian sid, fedora, arch or gentoo

This. Also: Updated BIOS would much likely help. Not sure how much, I haven't actually tested my 2400G with older BIOS's but I've been updating my board pretty quickly. Using 4.18.0-0.rc0.git8 right now btw.

That site you linked to is bullshit because I have one of those boards and ASUS's website says HDMI 1.4 and 4k60Hz don't work. It's possible it could though, with a BIOS/driver trick of sorts. The single-lane DVI port on the board isn't fixable, that's a matter of actual pins not being there. Running HDMI 2.0 on a HDMI 1.4 port would be a matter of trying to push it out of spec, the number of pins are identical. This being said, I've tried using a 4k60Hz and it was a no-go.

Most mainstream Linux distros like Ubuntu are slower to update than Windows, if you need support for brand new hardware you probably need to upgrade the Linux kernal and mesa.

How would you go about doing that on Windows? Considering no distro works OOB

What do you mean? Are you having issues running Xorg?

No, haven't even tried to install since I can't even run a live distro, I want to test them out before committing to partitioning my c drive and installing

What do you mean by it doesn't work? You may have to use a virtual machine like VirtualBox if worst comes to worst.

Try out antergos (which is arch-based) which has a live environment. Should have kernel 4.17 and probably mesa 18 at least.

I'll check it out when I get my flash drives in, waiting on two currently
Don't work like won't even boot even if you make edits in the grub menu, kernel panics(LinuxMint, OpenSUSE) or issues with my USB 3 controller on my board(Manjaro), the furthest I've gotten was with a live version of PCLOS, I got to the splash screen with the loading it bar where it made it 70% of the way then froze
Mind you this is with the Vega11 disabled

Have you flashed your BIOS?

On Asus yes BIOS v 4011 in order to get the 2400G to boot

DESU nothing and no one likes Vega graphics...

>linux

here is your problem

>t. Intel HD

Recent versions of the Linux kernel support Raven Ridge graphics.

with support you mean boot properly whitout crashing everything, right?