Jow Forums's Recommended Books

Let's post some of them on the most variable subjects related to Jow Forums.

I'll start with the obvious one.

Attached: 51j679vpDGL._SX406_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (408x500, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4U9MI0u2VIE
home.windstream.net/kollar/utp/
archive.org/details/xwindowsystem03quermiss
archive.org/details/xwindowsystemadm08muimiss
docstore.mik.ua/orelly/unix3/korn/index.htm
docstore.mik.ua/orelly/unix3/upt/index.htm
Jow
greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/
nand2tetris.org/
martinfowler.com/articles/201803-refactoring-2nd-ed.html
ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/
hackersdelight.org/hacker2TOC.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Series
catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/html/
wiki.c2.com/?QuickSortInHaskell
purelytheoretical.com/sywtltt.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Stroustrup is about to release A Tour of C++ 2nd edition in a few weeks, involving the ++17 standard.

Yeah, ok, so what, dumbass? The thread's objective is for people to post Jow Forums's approved books, not to criticise others' recommendations, fuckface.

Jow Forums doesn't recommend C++ and stuff related to this language.

youtube.com/watch?v=4U9MI0u2VIE

What? C++ is the industry's standard, it's used everywhere, from software development to game development, it's one of the most important and interesting languages to learn, retard.

I literally was just on the Jow Forums wiki and obtained this book are you reading my thoughts?
get out my head you luminescent melanistically inclined central intelligence agency employee

That post was simply passing along relevant information. Can you point out what you considered criticism?

I'm the Primarch System, I control the internet.

Attached: main-qimg-39ece5f15c34e67e6768755e531319bb-c.jpg (699x2706, 514K)

It will already be outdated by the time it's released.

elaborating on shit with relevant information is considered criticism now? lmao, gtfo snowflake

You are a dumb nigger. You are the blackest retard gorilla nigger I have ever seen.

I'm sorry, did I hurt your feelings, little fuckface? Why don't you literally fuck your own face?

I forgot where I was for a moment.

I'm half-black, I probably have more european genes than african ones.

But the fucking thread wasn't about race, bjarne's new book or dark web, it was fucking recommendations of books, you fucking retards...

The welcome to Unix starter pack.
>Unix Text Processing
home.windstream.net/kollar/utp/

>The X11 R5 users and Admin manuals
archive.org/details/xwindowsystem03quermiss
archive.org/details/xwindowsystemadm08muimiss

>Using the korn Shell. (no bashisms!)
docstore.mik.ua/orelly/unix3/korn/index.htm

>congrats your now a power user!
docstore.mik.ua/orelly/unix3/upt/index.htm

I know this in my heart.

>Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
>Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction
>Pragmatic Programmer
>Hacker's Delight - between compiler and assembly, but neither of it
>Game Engine Architecture by Gregory
>HtDP not SICP
Computer architecture
>Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective
>Computer Organization and Design, The Hardware/Software Interface by P&H
>Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach by H&P
>Parallel Computer Organization and Design
Operating systems
>Modern Operating Systems by Tanenbaum
>Operating System Concepts (dinosaur book)
Compilers, interpreters and language design
>Engineering a Compiler
>Modern Compiler Implementation in C/Java/ML by Appel (tiger book)
>Compilers: Principles Techniques and Tools (dragon book)
>Static Single Assignment Book
>Types and Programming Languages by Pierce
Algorithms
>Introduction to Algorithms (CLRS)
>Algorithms
Cryptography
>Introduction to Modern Cryptography by Katz and Lindell
Linux
>Linux Kernel Development by Love
>Professional Linux Kernel Architecture by Wolfgang Mauerer
Plan 9
>Introduction to Operating Systems Abstractions Using Plan 9 from Bell Labs
>Notes on the Plan 9 3rd edition Kernel Source (nemo book)
C++
>C++ Primer (not C++ Primer Plus)
>The C++ Programming Language
>Exceptional C++
>Effective C++
>The C++ Standard Library
>More Exceptional C++
>More Effective C++
>C++ Concurrency in Action
>Exceptional C++ Style
>Effective Modern C++
>The Boost C++ Libraries
>C++ Coding Standards
>Optimized C++
>Inside C++ Object Model
>C++ Templates
>Imperfect C++
>Modern C++ Design
C
>King C
>C Primer Plus
>k&r
>Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets
probably could dig out few more on other topics but who gives a shit

Thanks you based, nigga, finally someone understood what the thread is all about. Really appreciate your recommendations, my man.

Nice list, I give a shit user, have anything on Haskell, Fortran and Quantum Computers?

Do you guys have a minimum page limit for deciding whether it's worth it to buy a physical copy of a book rather than just reading a pdf on screen? Depends on the price i guess,

have nothing on Fortran ( only Forth :^) ) and single book on QC still on my TODO list. it's 1am where I live so sorry for not wanting to dig deeper in my bookmarks
pirate first. is it worth re-reading? then buy physical copy and set of colored markers

Yea, usually check it out first digitally. Recently bought some books that are available for free legally even.
Feels wrong to highlight in them though.

I'm pretty ass backwards, but if it is a reference work then I like have a physical copy. Mainly reference books have you flip through pages from index to page that then refers to another page and I can't do that in PDFs that well.

but if it's a book with a lot of finger exercises then I like to have it open on my screen.

also length of errata is a factor for buying physical copy

Check out /sci/'s wiki user
Quantum computing:
Jow Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Quantum_Computing

Haskell and Fortran books:
Jow Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Programming_Textbook_Recommendations

is this grandpa blabbering worth reading?

Attached: hoare.png (338x503, 104K)

Thanks.

The Art of Computer Programming, fucking brainlets

>planned volumes contains the best stuff
>author is walking dead man
I don't see the future bright here

Someone will continue it for him after his death, no worries.

Maybe some day

Attached: ppp.jpg (399x385, 37K)

>dude just read every page in encyclopedia

Currently reading it and I'm wondering, why is this Jow Forums approved?
The first few chapters are interesting, but once you reach chapter 6 with its calculator, it's slowly starts going downhill.
In the beginning the book approaches you like this: Tool -> Example -> Problem -> Solution using the tool, which works nice, because you can try using your new knowledge to solve the given problem, before looking at their solution. Once you hit chapter six the sequence changes to: Problem -> Solution using a new tool -> Explanation of the tool or even more obnoxious Problem -> Wrong solution -> 2nd wrong solution -> Right solution -> Explanation. It becomes more about reading their code instead of learning about new tools and learning how to apply them. Yes, I understand they also want to teach you the thought process behind programming, but they shouldn't focus on it completely.

Also fuck them for not fixing their broken interface library files for chapters 12-16.

>t. Brainlet.
Do you think Einstein, Gauss, Newton, Gödel, Turing, von Neumann wouldn't have read it? You think small, brainlet, that's why you'll never be remembered.

I was gonna shitpost, but good list. I feel as though it definitely needs some work as far as crypto goes though.

If you are using C++ despite its flaws, that book is the best one. It is also an excellent general programming book.

What would you add?

Its a bit outdated and doesnt completely explore all of C. However:
>I didn't know C at all
>I had an arduino doing nothing for years
>Its free
Seems good so far.

Attached: 61QXEYtxxtL._SX468_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (470x500, 68K)

>Duncan's Career Programmer: Guerilla Tactics for an Imperfect World
Seriously, read this book before even considering a career in software development
>Martin Fowler's Refactoring and Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
>Eric Gamma, et al.'s Design Patterns
>Bruno's Solid Code
>SQL Antipatterns
If you're a C++ guy, the Scott Meyer's books are worth a read.

Attached: 1300320106103.jpg (355x342, 30K)

Here we go, i wil talk about 3 books i have finished or will finish hopefully soon.
1. Think Python 2e. This is a really great book that you can use as an intro to programming, the basics are explained and you slowly grasp what is programming. It will introduce you to everything you should know before dealing with more complex algorythms : recusion, types, data, formatting, OOP. I really liked how exercices are challenging enough to make you really understand what you are doing. The book is entirely free online on the author website : greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/ , this is really satisfying to read LaTeX. I don't think this book is perfect but it's way better than "Learn Python The Hard Way".
2. The Elements of Computing Systems. I don't really know why this book is not shilled on this board, it cover how a computer really works. The first part about hardware may not be really important to be a good programmer but they are really interesting. The second part about software is really nice, you learn about assembly language and compilers and how everything works together, the software part of this book is so cool to learn why and how to programm with low level optimization in mind. The course is followed by a mandatory project after each chapter, it's fun and challenging. You can literally finish the book and the projects in 2 weeks if you are fast, you will learn so much. The book is partially free online here nand2tetris.org/ but a real book is better if you don't have multiples screens (hopefully my university had one). I have nearly finished this book. You need to know little programming before jumping in! (the previous book about intro to python is enough)
3. Structure and Interpretation of Computing Programs. I can't really describe the book because i'm only at the middle of chapter 2 but it's really fascinating!

>>Hacker's Delight - between compiler and assembly, but neither of it
Is it really worth a read if you aren't coding for the ultra high performance or game engine groups? It looks intellectually stimulating with all of its high level math and low level bit hacking, but not all that practical.

Attached: 1378092255026.png (600x269, 61K)

What are C++ flaws? I was thinking about learning it...

I've heard good things about Refactoring. I'm waiting until he releases his second edition though.

martinfowler.com/articles/201803-refactoring-2nd-ed.html

Attached: file.png (381x499, 174K)

>he doesn’t want to code elite haxx

hi member of www3 consortium, let me access the primarch and skip all those levels right now:
> ping 0.0.0.0

How do I learn how to make programs and freelance and make at least 50k a year.

Please help me. I feel so aimless.

Attached: image.jpg (480x270, 272K)

ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/

Tried to teach myself C++ with this book but couldn't grasp some of the later chapters on my own, do I need a mentor or does that make me a brainlet?

>poo author
Into the trash

retard

Found the pajeet

nothing you should worry about right now as a beginner

Is the /sci/ wiki reading list any good?

Jow Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering

Attached: 1529100634242.gif (498x235, 295K)

>mrw a normie friend posted this on zuccbook unironically

Attached: Sonic_fd6e13_5960125.jpg (550x412, 40K)

Attached: serveimage.gif (400x508, 191K)

What level of programming/compsci knowledge do I need to understand these books?

Any good books about reverse engineering?

well for beginners there's this free book that's supposedly good
beginners.re

Thanks man
>1075 pages
Damn, long read this'll take a while.

High school math,books begin basic mathematics.
Use Concrete Mathematics as supplemental if math section from first books is too hard.

Really, just high school math?
People tend to act like this book is an impossible to comprehend arcane tome so I'm know of surprised.

I know few authors for this topic (Schneier for example) but never bothered to read more, always preferred uni courses.

Chapter 6 is the brainlet filter, and where the book starts to get interesting. Just do the exercises and it'll click.

yeah not that practical and more of a catalog than trying to teach you some new way
table of contents hackersdelight.org/hacker2TOC.pdf
some of it is pretty usefor anyone:
overflow detection
checking bounds
division into multiplication
gay code
knowing that crc and error correcting codes even exist

just grab it somewhere and read through random topic for one afternoon, you will have fun and learn something

yes but it lacks several good books

Like what?

Print it.

Usually programmer(no math courses) or Computer Science(shitty discrete math course) had low level math over hype complexity of book, The Art of Computer Programming start with math proof and discrete structures to developer analysis and design algorithms.

This'll get you started.

Attached: 1505546396485.png (865x1645, 1.26M)

>das kapital

Found the racist. INTERSECTIONAL 4TH WAVE FEMINISM FOREVER. EAT SHIT SALT RIGHT!

>blocks your path

Great argument senpai :)

just go back to plebbit

>Phenomonology of Spirit
That's a book for masochists.

>Tractatus
I doubt 10% of Jow Forums's would even understand that book.

Pragmatic Programmer

Why should one learn C before C++?

If there was a perfect programming language, there would be only one programming language.

Haskell is perfect though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Series

Worst Jow Forums meme since gaymen keyboards

catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/html/

Attached: The-Art-of-Unix-Programming.png (847x1138, 162K)

>Duncan's Career Programmer: Guerilla Tactics for an Imperfect World
This book was written 12 years ago, is it still relevant after all this time? I'm picking as to which enters my library and I try too read everything I can.
Though, not many books (I've seen) touches on these points

Poorly thought out feature set when you get to the advanced features. It's not too bad when you use just one or two advanced features, but as soon as you try starting to stack advanced features on top of each other, it's really easy to run into undefined behaviour.

In theory, this can be avoided in a project by picking only a particular subset of features which you need and have everyone stick only to that subset. In practice, Murphy's law applies, and this tends to really restrict how well different libraries interact with each other.

The other downside is 33 years of backwards compatibility and constant extension. The language has a LOT of cruft and weirdness that stems from this.

I think its time i posted my Jow Forums reading list review. Some of these books are genuine wastes of time that assume you are a literal fucking retard from the get-go.

>Code - The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software
For absolute beginners, for the kind of people who have never touched a computer before in their life, foundational for the unfamiliar but offensive to the novice.

>An Eternal Golden Braid
great philosophy book with some mentions of computer science. Impractical but entertaining.

>Data Structures and Algorithms
good theory of computer science, impractical if you want to learn to code, essential if you want to solve problems efficiently

>The Pragmatic Programmer - From Journeyman to Master(1999)
Absolutely essential if you want to program like a white man.

>Mythical Man Month
same as EGB except even further from CS. Don't expect to see code.

>The Cathedral The Bazaar
same as Mythical Man Month except with Open Source.

>Introduction to Algorithms
like sex but better

>Programming Pearls & Concrete Mathematics
a look into the mind of true geniuses, worth a read.

Care to explain how Haskell is a meme?

>”Look, I used a monad! And defined my own type class for custom folding of data! Isn’t that amazing?“. “What does it do?” “It’s a CRUD app”.

Ignore programming language books, you can learn it all by reading the docs.
Read algorithm books.
And then realize books will only get you so far, and put some effort into solving problems on your own, even if you come up with an already existing solution, you did it on your own, and that's more important that what any book can teach you.

Simple haskell code, shills love show you is slow as fuck and you need good knowledge in computer architecture and algorithm design to just could tried use haskell as average language.

wiki.c2.com/?QuickSortInHaskell
Few online haskell shills will tried learn type theory or enough math to use haskell in real world.

purelytheoretical.com/sywtltt.html

Attached: taplcover.jpg (270x283, 10K)

>........................................................wheres the java books at?.............................................

The trash.

>Learning the vi and vim editor
>Practical Vim
Essential tools for mastering the world's best editor.

>world's best editor.
But those books are for mastering Vim, not Atom.

Holy fuck pajeet, I'm with you onl the haskel shit but ffs imrpove your grammar and speak proper english. (fuck me)

>Atom
We're talking about text editors, not web browsers.