/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

old thread: What are you working on, Jow Forums?

Attached: dpt come program with me!.png (748x618, 322K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.github.io/styleguide/cppguide.html
musl-libc.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't program with thots

Concurrent separation types will save systems programming.

Explain this, Pythonfags.

Attached: IntAdditionTimes2.png (681x524, 176K)

HRT and fursuits will save systems programming.

that dumb slut doesn't even program, just draws trash
nene on the other hand...

check out htis faggot

call overhead, bash is in memory already

python loads up an interpreter
bash is moderately fast, being written in C and having everything loaded
add6and6 is compiled into bytecode

YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE PART OF SOMETHING BIGGER BRO
BELIEVE IN YOURSELF
ITS TIME TO JOIN THE COMMUNITY
NO COMPROMISE

damn glibc compile time is the worst (gcc 8.1.0)
four hours and counting

have you tried setting the -j flag?
don't do this if you have less than 4GB of ram tho.

remember to purchase your fursuit

Just installed Arch and will only use this computer to read and practice K&R.

Would you add anything to my .vimrc?
Would you change the font?
Anything else? Thanks

Attached: 2018-06-28-184129_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 125K)

I'd make the font bigger. It may be readable now but you'll ruin your eyes with it before your 30

Quick question if I may.
In C# (Windows Form project) when ever I add a Tab to a Tab-control, it takes focus away from other controls.
How can I stop this behavior, at least temporarily?

sorry user i meant "make check", stupid brain fog
i am building lfs 8.2, currently at chapter 6. i have changed the gcc version and kernel version - a risky move considering its the first time im doing this. create a posix/lsb conformant personal distro and keep "packages" stored online somewhere

I like it that way but I suppose you're right.
I made it a little bigger now.

Wild guesses:
Add invisible/disabled tab, then enable/show it.
See if there is AutoFocus or sum such property.
Remember which control had focus, restore it after adding a tab.

systems programming is obsolete

I'm learning Bash, this my first time learning a programming language.

Attached: eca86af442d98aac8bbe0d3f3efd2fa8b8c4ec2aa8e51d1b920e2700381f4dd1 (00:06:10.286) 0003.png (1280x720, 892K)

Self-inserting, anal-abusing from the get go? So hardcore!

>not learning C by reading the standard

Attached: images (3).jpg (236x214, 5K)

>"explain this, ___fags"
>explain it correctly and dispassionately
>best case scenario is what happened here, the baitposter doesn't even answer
>worst case scenario:
>get accused of shilling / coping / mental gymnastics just for explaining something he fucking asked you to explain, when you didn't even sound mad or defensive about it or anything
>the actual content of your explanation is ignored and not refuted in any capacity
>acts smug like he has won the argument because he found a way to piss you off
>completely ignores the established subject of the argument and pretends it's been strictly about how mad you are all along
>if you push the issue he eventually damage controls by insisting the reason he isn't addressing your argument is because it's too stupid to dignify with a response
>won't explain why it's stupid because supposedly you yourself are so stupid that trying to explain anything to you would be a waste of time and he has better things to do
>doesn't do the better things and instead continues to shitpost about how fucking smug he is
>the most infuriating part of being wrong is that you know you're actually right and he's wrong and no one gives a shit
What's the point guys?
What's the point of correcting the kind of faggot who would rather win than be right?
>inb4 "t. pythonfag"
wrong, i don't even know python, i exclusively use C, TinyScheme, Haskell and Ruby

Should not I start with Shell Bash? I just want to write some basics scripts.

Attached: eca86af442d98aac8bbe0d3f3efd2fa8b8c4ec2aa8e51d1b920e2700381f4dd1 (00:06:14.540) 0004.png (1280x720, 685K)

>C
a necessary evil
>TinyScheme
curious choice of implementation, regardless scheme is excellent
>Haskell
great industrial-strength typed mostly-pure functional language
>Ruby
why, user?

Imagine being this invested in being right on anonymous web 1.0 soup-making boards.

I don't see what it has to do with python, but it seems that the user messed up selecting a window with scrot, and so did it twice, but took the time to make sure not to overwrite his first one for some reason.
I don't know, it seems pretty retarded to me. They do have disgusting solid green text and an anime picture in the background, so I'm going to stick with retardation.

Not him but if you're using text-based Linux then yes you should definitely start with it, if for no other reason than to make sure you can actually use your computer efficiently.
But, after learning enough bash to efficiently make basic use of your computer, you should probably move on to a real programming language.

how horrifying. bash (and linux shells in general) are glue languages, they are useless without having something to glue together, ie perl oneliners and random CLI programs.

when you get bored, try out zsh and oh-my-zsh !
much better shell experience

Learning a bit of bash to do small, primitive tasks is perfectly fine. Using it as a programming language/environment is

>>C
>a necessary evil
On the contrary i find it pretty elegant and nice to work with in its own weird way.
It's not pure, intuitive, strongly typed, algebraically typed, or easy to reason about, not one bit, but it IS quite fucking expressive, if only by virtue of being so incredibly terse.
>>TinyScheme
>curious choice of implementation, regardless scheme is excellent
Choice of implementation is mostly because i use it on a handheld raspberry pi system i threw together that uses a sliding bluetooth keyboard meant for phones on which most punctuation is difficult to type. The difficulty of typing most punctuation is why i choose Scheme at all, not to say i don't also really like it because i do, and TinyScheme in particular because i need to save all the memory and processing power i can.
>>Haskell
>great industrial-strength typed mostly-pure functional language
ikr
>>Ruby
>why, user?
It's like the haskell of poo. Really pushes the upper limit of how expressive a type system can be when it's in a scripting lang and based on inheritance and subtyping, as well as how expressive the rest of the language can be when limited by the absence of first class functions. Not very fond of poo or subtyping but some of its features are still nice for certain applications

Help me out Jow Forums. I can't figure out this whole formatting thing. Which option should I stick to?

Attached: formatting.png (618x469, 44K)

Oh, this exactly what I want, I looking to automate a lot of monotonous work I do on my laptop.
Almost, thanks for the advice.
oh i didn't know.
oh i didn't know about this, will try it later.

Attached: [MLF] Love Live! Sunshine!! 2 05 [720p] (00:05:13.562) 0001.png (1280x720, 1.15M)

Options 1 and 4 are more standard for the kind of language you have pictured here.
However, for lisps, option 3 is more standard.

I have to admit I do find C's relative lack of bs refreshing sometimes.

Interesting to know that about Ruby. I've managed to avoid scripting langs in my career so far.

google.github.io/styleguide/cppguide.html

I used to do 2/3 but after using Python at work for a while and absorbing its formatting standards I've settled on pic related. I've since read a bunch of stuff supporting it, including keeping things towards the beginning of indentation so your eye doesn't have to move as much, and also helps when you change symbol names (you don't have to go and fix most of the formatting).

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 10.39.18 PM.png (1234x330, 47K)

anything but 2 or 3

not him but ruby was my first language, before rails came out. I hated rails and think it's still a pit of garbage, but I still like ruby.
I think of python and ruby in the same sort of problem domain space or something, and I think it's a real shame that python got popular while ruby got stuck with just being associated with rails.

>including keeping things towards the beginning of indentation so your eye doesn't have to move as much, and also helps when you change symbol names (you don't have to go and fix most of the formatting).
This makes sense. I think I'll stick to it. I'm assuming you treat function declarations similarly?

Attached: Capture.png (779x185, 10K)

>Case 1: right parenthesis is 1 character ahead of left.
>Case 2: right parenthesis is 1 character behind of left.
Please tell me this was a typo.

It is.

I just allocated almost a megabyte for some string because it doesn't matter at all and I'm not going to waste time thinking about it.

t. electron developer

more like not k&r autist

non-trivial programs will do this hundreds of thousands of times per second
enjoy your bloat

>see pic
>windows 7
>filename:dpt come program with me!.png

>programming
>windows

Yes and other "lists" of stuff, like template params, initializer lists (for structs/containers/etc.), enum declarations, etc.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 10.56.36 PM.png (1248x1096, 163K)

ill still overflow it

Attached: Facekini.jpg (1546x2468, 475K)

>less than 1MB
>4gig is now considered low-end

Why aren't you using one of the following languages?

>Scheme
>Idris

Fuck in the ass whichever of you told me "glsl is just like any other language, you compile it and it's right or it isn't". After spending 3 hours debugging a clusterfuck of type-casting errors that popped up for the first time when running on this machine after working on 900 different other machines that I had tested against, now I'm getting completely non-descriptive native error memory dumps because obviously it's more important to fucking fail the entire god damn stack than it is to explain what went wrong and why it is caused by an extremely lazy driver dev who didn't feel like implementing this one "standard" feature that 99.99% of all other graphic card drivers support.

Why haven't any of you nerds made an app or something and make a lot of money yet?

Attached: 2013-07-14 16_46_41-1373833226219.png (PNG Image, 1360 × 767 pixels).png (67x83, 14K)

I have, how else would I be able to post on Jow Forums all day?

Submitted mine to the app store today

What did you do?
How much time in development?
How much money you made?

What is it?
How much do you expect to make?

hi dad.

>The Standard requires that an alphabet of 96 symbols is available for C as follows:
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
! " # % & ' ( ) * + , - . /
: ; < = > ? [ \ ] ^ _ { | } ~
space, horizontal and vertical tab
form feed, newline

>vertical tab
I didn't know such a thing existed. Apparently it was used for printers and scrolling the screen in high latency environments (300 baud). I guess the idea of advancing to the next (vertical) tab break is still kind of interesting, but for maintaining some kind of sense of 'paragraph' instead of 'column', for horizontal.

hi disappointment.

I love how i3 makes workspaces so braindead simple and obvious to use. Of course they were still there for me when I used other WMs, but I never used them. Now I regularly have 3-8 active, most are just evince on the left with two shells in a column on the right, but it's so damn handy to separate it out, and have sets of windows cleanly tiled and visible in each workspace.

Your fault for not getting a vasectomy. I'm not the one who wasted all that money raising me.

not the languages fault

Perhaps it's the equivalent of pgdn (or close to it)?

musl-libc.org/
what do you think of this
I'm too brainlet to have an opinion

pagedown advances for a constant set of lines typically I think? a vertical tab would advance until the next tab stop

What do your workspaces consist of?
I usually just have a browser and several terminal windows open.

>glibc.so
>7.9M
WTF?!

Attached: triggered feminist(female).jpg (669x666, 47K)

>musl-libc.org/
pretty good, only C standard library that implements C11 threading, not sure if that makes them cuck though.

Can anyone help me with this?
pls

Attached: 1526525315392.jpg (400x417, 107K)

Passed my last project review for the google android nanodegree on Udacity today. I wanted to be done before by borthday, and it happened. I know how to make basic android apps in Java with networking and databases.

What are some interesting apis I could use in an app?

emacs > "vs code"

>emacs
>good

Betcha didn't even start the tutorial

you're right, i uninstalled vim, installed VSC and have been happy since.

Like I said, most are 2 cols, 1 being a textbook (or browser tab) and the other being 1-2 related terminals or other applications. I also group tabs and send them to their own workspace, (email/netflix/Jow Forums, for instance)
When I learn a topic, I like to consult a few, say 2-5, decent/good resources. So now I can just have them open and waiting for me to jump in, or maybe I never do, but it took all of 5 seconds to set up.
And I was thinking, "what's the difference between alt-tab'ing between maximized applications?" And it's slight but really important, and it's the multiple windows. I'm not switching between different pdf's, I'm switching between pdf+vim+make, and pdf+vim+feh, or whatever.

It just took me awhile to realize that I can use workspaces more liberally, as sets of windows that share a context.
And I have this idea, maybe I'm wrong, but with how linux is (?), there's only trivial overhead to additional workspaces.

hell, even vim is better than vs "electron" code aka egacs

VS Code is a great IDE. vim is my default for many years, but once things start getting a bit large, now I switch to VSC, it's objectively really good software.

the only downside of VSC is its ram bloat. But I'm not on a chinkpad so it's a non-issue.The one-click install of just about any language extension, theme and great hotkey support more than make up for it.
I do want to make my own TE someday though.

It's great. I don't really like standard C, though. I'm working on my own musl-style minimal library. Musl has some really neat build scripts that allow you to use it easily. Things like GCC startfiles and a musl-gcc script that automatically uses it.

To all the professionals, do you actually give a single shit about the projects you are assigned to? If not, how do you keep your sanity?

No. I kept sanity by leaving the field and getting paid by doing something else with my life.

Don't work with anybody who has used Java for more than 50% of their career.

Can some one post the link to the Irc Chat? I lost my data ;-;

does practicing algorithm problems actually help with your problem solving skills?

I feel like it really just boils down to your general intelligence and looking at a lot of different problems isnt actually going to make you any better/smarter

Can somebody teach me please?
I'm not disciplined or educated enough to work on my own.

How much are you willing to pay

Pay what?

pay for being your personal teacher.

I never said anything about personal

Willing to pay it forward

fuck you pay me

b-bump...?

Attached: 1476565114142.jpg (728x971, 128K)

dumb frogposter

Ok I'll pay you in advance

do people still make lots of money with apps? what kind of apps do you have to make? apps for scamming people, to make kids watch youtube videos for hours, shitty clones of shitty popular games, ...?

Just write a script that compiles and runs a single file and invoke it from the command line. You don't have to setup a project for every single file.

Websocket binary options trading bot, soon enough i'll be able to automate my loses

Attached: 1530063219470.jpg (480x480, 52K)

Is trying to become a front end dev really worth it? I've been studying html, css and a little bit of js lately but, I just feel like I am wasting my time. I feel like I won't be able to get a job because companies will only care about people who have degrees in cs.

Attached: gun.jpg (736x736, 79K)