/vg/ - Virtualization General

a home for virtualization discussion and Q&A

since there are discussion concerning virtualization from time to time on Jow Forums, i decided to make a general for it

resources will be added soon

Attached: VMware-vs-VirtualBox.png (634x309, 154K)

Other urls found in this thread:

winworldpc.com/product/windows-95/osr-2
forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?t=24932
win311.xyz/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This post reserved for Xen

Attached: qubes (2).png (3840x1080, 634K)

Ehh. It's old hat now. Nobody is amazed by it anymore.

i've found that most software barely works under normal conditions, so running it in a VM is usually a retarded

Home? VirtualBox.

Business/Enterprise? Vmware.

Then defuck your machine. Expect for games, and JavaScript heavy websites, a core2duo with an SSD still runs modern software fine. Yes, the operations might be slow, but it's still perfectly usable.

I want to run two OS(freebsd + macos(muh gaymes and proprietary software)) on my pc using esxi/proxmox(there will be multiple monitors if that matters). What's the best way to do that? Pci + USB passthrough and simply using kvm switch? Maybe setup x2go/spice and use remote access?

The Hypervisor type virtualization is still in use but seeing less usage over time.

Docker and Kubernetes, along with containerization allows multiple isolated environments to share the same OS kernel. Much less strain on the hardware.

haven't I heard more that one story about containers in general (and docket especially in particular) being an absolute nightmare to keep secure and isolated from other containers though? I thought one of the big advantages of virtualization was that VM escape exploits are rare and difficult to use.

Nice, I was a about to install Windows 95 on a vm, does someone has a Windows95b.img?

winworldpc.com/product/windows-95/osr-2

If I could remove one software project from the world it would be VirtualBox
It is a non-compliant piece of shit, and for example it used to be in long mode the VM wouldn't
push/pop correctly leading to stack corruption. How does this shit even get published? didn't anyone test it?
forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?t=24932

bump

Hyper-V, because AVMA.

Yep, works fine, unless you're primarily a non-windows shop.

Redpill me on OpenBSD host.

win311.xyz/

I've set up a VM that's remote-controlled over a web-based VNC client, ask me anything. Do what you will with it, everyone will see it.

>pic related

Attached: winlol311.png (2035x1257, 82K)

How? Thats fucking awesome!

SOLITAIRE wtf dude
what is this shit

set 32-bit disk access for you
thank me l8r

it crashed the VM you fucktard

not my problem
call sysadmin
no rights management in win 3.11
0/10

I made a win7 VM in VMware so that I could run FL studio. But when I try to play anything it starts alternating between playing it normally and horrible stuttering.
It works just fine on a designated machine, what could be causing it?

I had forgotten just how GOOD the old minesweeper was.

Lel you shut it down again. Good job mate.

Vmware lags less when browsing websites and stuff within the VM (i want the experience in my w10 and ubuntu to be as seamless as possible since im a performance junkie), so for me it's vmware

Noob here, can I use a motherboard and cpu that support Vt-d/Vt-x virtualization, to run a linux host on an RX Vega 64 and passthrough a GTX 1080 to a windows 10 vm using qemu/kvm?
>Can I use an amd gpu for my linux host and passthrough an nvidia gpu for my windows 10 guest?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 301K)

>listening to fa/g/g/ots
who's the retard desu

Attached: Ultra rare smug anime girl if youre reading this youve_56cff8_5818425.jpg (229x220, 8K)

basically this, it's not magic, just a VM, works fine.

yes
do your research, should be straightforward if you have some patience and can read before sperging out

It's possible.
You will likely eat your own shit after trying for 3 hours.
But it's doable.

this desu
Virtualbox is a piece of shit that will ruin your VMs an everything you love

thanks for the confirmation guys
I've been doing a lot of reading on it over the past month, and saw no reason it wouldn't work, but wanted confirmation because it still seemed pretty out there
I've already got one 1080, but I don't really like the nvidia proprietary drivers (wayland, closed source, etc.), so grabbing an rx vega seems like a better choice :)

just use qwmu/kvm
If you need a gui virt-manager works great

Anyone know if its possible with qemu to use a file on the host as RAM for the guest?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-26 14-02-51.png (1597x700, 120K)

>people shitting on VirtualBox
I agree, but for some use cases it works good enough.

That's a nice thread.
But what it really needs is to list all viable use cases.
For instance:
- I've got physical w/ desktop OS.
- I've got physical hypervisor machine.

Also there is also docker / jail stuff to consider.

Qemu masterrace, aqemu for the GUIfags but seriously who needs a GUI

Nah fuck virt manager and its inexplicable python scripts failures.

When will VMware add Direct3D11 support? And when will they let you allocate more than 2GB of VRAM?

Most likely the virtual sound card.
If you yield a USB soundcard to the VM and install the drivers, it should run fine.

And why would you even want to cripple your VM like that?

Thanks mate, that worked.
I was using ccmaker to install some adobe things too, and for some reason it caused random cpu spiking, especially when moving the windows around. Is this normal for windows?