What do sysadmins do, Jow Forums?

What do sysadmins do, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1473994601908.jpg (1600x1200, 179K)

It's like computer gardening. Sometimes you get to plant new and beautiful stuff but mostly its just a battle to stop what you have from dying, and laboriously pulling up the weeds that sprout up all around it.

they administer systems

Attached: xenu.jpg (583x389, 141K)

They uninstall gentoo

Nothing according to management if everything is going right.

Also nothing according to management if everything is breaking.

It's a cost center and everyone hates you.

I can't speak for everyone but for me..

1. Debugging in production, deep troubleshooting of our distributed systems.
2. Sort of related to 1, but helping with performance concerns and tuning, this also extends to being a part of design reviews.
3. Maintenance/reliability, this can be everything from patching and working towards better continuous deployment practices, to developing canaries.
4. After all of this, I get involved with software as well. The above may result in me sending teams pull requests, I don't often get in the business of generating things from scratch, but I polish turds after familiarizing myself with their codebase.

This may lie under "systems engineering" instead, but I hope this helps.

If the system have problem then fix it. If the system running fine just play hyperdimension neptunia.

Attached: nep nep.png (1280x720, 960K)

Install spaghetti.

Attached: 1529444269354.jpg (1600x1200, 257K)

japanese bird = users
spaghetti = shit the sysadmin told them not to do

sleep for 6 hours on the job

no if everythings running fine, this is what you do

Attached: nep nap.gif (450x450, 2.02M)

shitloads of women

This
My VMs and Pearl scripts make that pussy sploosh.

I gave that switch some packets. Switches love packets.

Drink, occasional piss break, more drinking.

Besides drown in pusy? Who knows...

They administrate systems, are you stupid?

But that's not a box of spaghetti

In dreams, probably.

They sit around and browse Jow Forums.

admin the sys

Nothing

This is the closest to the truth
>"Why do we even pay you" when things are breaking down
>"Why do we even need you" when everything is working
Hopefully things should work out. Got moved out of IT to the production dpt. a couple months ago because "everything is working, we don't need you in IT anymore". Today I'm having a meet with the board to review that position, after 3 months things are already a fucking mess.

dat huge birb is makin spetti!

Write random letters and symbols on the terminal to look busy because no one can tell the difference from the real thing.

Get so fucking nuclearly triggered by how fucking stupid the average sysadmin is that they move laterally into devops.

Can confirm. After being in this business for over 10 years, my body won't stop moving laterally.

>type
>sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -yy
>or better, it's done in a cron job every weekend
>then tail log
>no errors
>enjoy life with 5k in your pocket for doing nothing

Drink coffee

Get up after 13 h shift at 7 AM to do another 9-5 and then get called at 8 PM to check "something small" for another 4 hours and when finally you can get vacation you have to fix the mistakes of some retard from the hotel room.