GNU/Linux is the best PC gaming platform by a wide margin

Gaming performance on GNU/Linux has been steadily improving this year and the margins between the superior performance on Linux over the inferior Windows platform is widening.

80 frames per second on Windows vs 130 on Linux in DOTA with a 1080 is a huge difference. Game developers are realizing the vastly bigger potential for performance on Linux and more and more games are both supporting this superior alternative and optimizing for it. Wintoddlers are crying and it's just a matter of time before Microsoft is bankrupt and finished.
More numbers and charts here:
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=june-2018-gpus

Attached: linux-so-superior-in-dota-microsoft-bankrupt-finished.png (951x789, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/LmmXCCFFUIA
youtu.be/ztmhi_bvdWY
youtu.be/8QpWgWmlVNI
lutris.net/
github.com/doitsujin/dxvk
youtube.com/watch?v=UPkqLgm0mOw
lutris.net/games/fallout-4/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-staging-pba-git
aur.archlinux.org/packages/dxvk-git
manjaro.org/community-editions/
lutris.net/api/installers/tomb-raider-underworld-steam?format=json
winepak.org/
pastebin.com/KGXiyvqT
gloriouseggroll.tv/how-to-get-out-of-wine-dependency-hell/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Finally linuxlets can play DotA, in the next 15 years you will be able to play Battlefield 1

fpbp

The problem is software support.

I look at the games I want to play (DOS2, DMC5, MHW) and they will not be on Linux.

>130 frames on dota with a 1080
What the hell is happening here I get 300 frames with a 1050

We've been able to play DOTA for years. Took a while for Rise of the Tomb Raider, though.

Attached: 33b93fd243e2516f538497019cdb8a90710af1b9.png (1008x568, 849K)

valve doesn't even officially support steam on distros other than Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Steam store doesn't even work on Linux, some bug with Chromium. Tried to install TF2 and couldn't even get to the store page. Chromiun is the reason why Steam no longer works on XP as well, what a shitshow.

no idea what you girls are on about, steam works just fine on Fedora - the store too. it is a shame that it's a binary blob 32-bit program, though. quite sad actually.

>bug with Chromium
just to clarify, Steam doesn't actually use a system-installed Chrome or Chromium for anything. It embeds it's own webview/"chromium" which is wildly outdated. If the steam store doesn't work for you then it's a bug in steam - period (or the chromium code they include, but that's still steam's problem. you can't fix it by upgrading chromium, steam doesn't even require having chromium installed since it uses it's own bundled web view thing)

Does morrowind run in linux? With mods? With the full experience?

Does fallout three run in linux? Compltely? With mods?

Does any Jade dynasty private server client?

No?

No.

So linux still can't run games.

Moronix guy is such a biased fucking idiot. Little to no games on Windows use OpenGL but DirectX, which is a shit ton more optimized. He only benchmarks those games to cherry pick and make Linux look great in comparison.

>steam works just fine on Fedora
"i dont see the problem, it works for me!"

Maybe at 720 with some settings disabled.

>With mods

mods arent games

Hm? This is actually interesting considering how Steam OS launched with worse performance for the same games versus Windows.

This is great news if legit.

Attached: 1396475315046.jpg (549x563, 46K)

And you'll be playing Battlefield 20 because people like you are dumb enough to buy the same game every year.

it already runs on linux
youtu.be/LmmXCCFFUIA
and battlefield already went downhill after battlefield 2 and even more after bad company 2

Attached: 1530000292403.jpg (900x1200, 315K)

I can always play War Thunder, it's much better.

Steam store works. Steam store using wine steam doesn't.
To fix it run steam with -no-cef-sandbox as parameter

>Does morrowind run in linux? With mods?
yes
>With the full experience?
what does that even mean?
modded morrowind runs aswell as modded OpenMW
>Does fallout three run in linux? Compltely? With mods?
yes it does

I couldn't get Deus Ex MD to run so well on Linux. Arguably it's a game that runs like trash, but that's precisely why it's necessary to get the best performance possible, so at least it's fucking playable.

I would like some of those tests with games like GTA V, The Witcher 3 or Nioh. Don't get me wrong, these can be played on consoles and there's more stuff for Linux these days, but still it needs to be a suitable alternative. Dota 2 is something that is expected to run well on Linux.

One thing I believe would work well is if CEMU was being developed for Linux, but on WINE with older hardware it's not even a good idea.

>games like GTA V, The Witcher 3 or Nioh
the developer(s) of DXVK is making great advancements.
wined3d11 is also advancing, but seemingly not as quick.
it's getting to a point where DX11 games run better in wine than some DX9 games
youtu.be/ztmhi_bvdWY
youtu.be/8QpWgWmlVNI

if you want to check if a game runs good with DXVK, don't forget to set the youtube filter to something like "this month", because there is quite a difference between DXVK 5 or even 2 months ago and DXVK now

it's obviously still tinkering which not everyone likes. for best performance you best compile DXVK and wine-staging from their respective git repositories, which is something not everybody knows how to do.

there's also Lutris, which tries to replace the outdated PlayOnLinux software solution by making easy community-made installers for games, so you have 1 application that handles all of your emulators, native games and wine games
Software like Lutris is what linux needs so people can switch over
lutris.net/

one of the bigger things though that will probably atleast keep some folk sticking to windows for gaming, is how incompatible some anti-cheat software is when running it through wine.
Rainbox Six Siege, Fortnite, Realm Royale and other games won't run due to their anticheat.
that being said, nothing of value was lost there. all shit games

Attached: 1530001718677.jpg (460x624, 56K)

>there is quite a difference between DXVK 5 or even 2 months ago and DXVK now

Well, your GTA V video confirms that at least. I've watched some video a few months ago of GTA V running on it and while the framerate was fine graphically it was glitching out a lot.

>Finally linuxlets can play DotA
But DOTA has been on Linux for quite some time already?

I totally forgot to include the DXVK repo link
github.com/doitsujin/dxvk
If you dig through the commit history and the issues page you can see where progress is being made.
>and while the framerate was fine graphically it was glitching out a lot
that used to be the case with witcher 3 aswell, but looking at the video it seems to have improved

regarding CEMU
there is some trouble related to the NVIDIA drivers where the DX11/Vulkan Shader Cache is limited to 128MB (per game). iirc emulating with CEMU needs way bigger saved cached shaders.
this was already posted on the nvidia forums and the devs said they will look into it for the next version.
I dont know how this is on AMD cards.

Attached: supreme champion.jpg (232x293, 11K)

Wtf is this fake shit? 80 fps on a fucking 1060, 97 ON A 1080TI??

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-29-12-31-04.png (1440x2560, 594K)

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-29-12-31-32.png (1440x2560, 573K)

>iirc emulating with CEMU needs way bigger saved cached shaders

It needs big shaders, but it uses OpenGL. Which is why performance is terrible on AMD setups and everyone around is asking for Vulkan instead. I would actually hope CEMU devs to consider that as well.

At least there's something to look for, I'm lazy to do tinkering but that's more of a personal problem than anything else. It's good that there's some progress around.

Userbenchmark doesn't directly benchmark FPS though?
It benchmarks the other parts and makes an FPS estimate.
When you click on "Test your FPS" it just takes you to their regular tool

This is all on max settings and on openGL, not Vulkan.

It's almost like the frame rate is also processor and RAM dependent. And userbenchmark being inaccurate is also an issue.

I believe you only get graphical glitches if you enable tessellation in games

Can I play Fallout 4 on linux?

>1080Ti exactly 2 fps ahead of 1060
What did the lying fossturds mean by this?

Could be
Some games also won't work if you enable anti-aliasing
>Path of Exile

Yes, with wine + DXVK
youtube.com/watch?v=UPkqLgm0mOw
Unless you run arch based/gentoo or you like tinkering your best option would be to install it with Lutris
lutris.net/games/fallout-4/

I don't understand why OP only posted the 1080p results.
The 1080 Ti performance only really shows at 4k

Attached: dota24k.png (622x515, 30K)

can you use pirated games with lutris or is it steam cuck only?

What's a CPU bottleneck?

Attached: computer.png (1056x792, 688K)

> Fossturds
> Proprietary game from a proprietary botnet launcher
What did he mean by this

You can run any EXE you want with Lutris, the installers just make it easier if you want to do zero configuration

It's linux, you can do whatever the fuck you want, that's the whole point of it

Attached: c73e409aed889d21.jpg (768x1440, 142K)

fucking mutt.

nice, I'll spin up an arch install and see how it compares to windows

Even if true, it's still irrelevant if games don't get ported to that platform.

Amazing comeback, you absolutely btfo'd me

You can also go non-Lutris and get the latest wine + dxvk from AUR
aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-staging-pba-git
aur.archlinux.org/packages/dxvk-git

You're really using one game? Dota 2? Which is a game nobody cares about?

Use DirectX and OpenGL to compare to the two at least.

wow cool! you can play defense of the normalfags 2 on the loonix! brb installing gentoo NAO!

He used openGL. My guess is the OpenGL back-end for the game is trash on Windows.

>Use DirectX and OpenGL to compare
Are you retarded?

>He used openGL. My guess is the OpenGL back-end for the game is trash on Windows.
There's also a Vulkan test in the link

>Dota 2? Which is a game nobody cares about?
>everyone is me
really makes you think

Attached: dota2.png (728x610, 100K)

No, windows has DirectX and Linux does not.

If you want to compare the gaming experience you can't just take away options.

If the OpenGL back-end is shit and no-one uses it then don't use it in a benchmark.

If you like Dota 2 you need to go straight to reddit.

Just check the Vulkan performance.
OpenGL is outdated and OP is stupid for posting the OpenGL pic.
The vulkan renderer is the latest renderer implementation in the Source 2 Engine and both NVIDIA and AMD are pushing driver updates with more and more vulkan changes.
If anything should be compared it's vulkan and not DirectX

I only play Path of Exile but saying nobody cares about it is just a false statement

gaming discussion is on

This is graphical performance discussion.

Sadly #NotAllGames work on Linux. Also it matters which DE you use too. I remember when someone tried to use these benchmarks to suggest KDE was the lightest possible desktop to have due to gaming benchmarks. Still pisses me off today.

Attached: Capture.png (621x399, 14K)

nVidia performs significantly better, even on Linux. But their drivers are a pain to work with. So the two choices I have are
>AMD: everything works fine (unless gcn 3 or lower), low power efficiency, worse bang per $
>nVidia: everything has a chance to spontaneously break, but performance is great

Maybe I'll vote with my wallet and buy an RX 560/570. AMD should become more competitive.

Unity is literally a GNOME skin. This benchmark is incorrect and outdated since unity is no longer used.

>this level of salt
Windows is getting actual competition, in what way is that supposed to be bad?

With its current development speed DXVK may be able to run those game on Linux even before DMC5 gets released.

Attached: J0F8jM7J57MnM59rGVH8FcsqIXpzKyZv,w400.jpg (400x300, 30K)

True, it's a catch 22, but I'll never be solved with negativity of course, every piece of support counts

As far as I remember results for Gnome and Budgie were incorrect because of some incompatibility and games actually worked fine, it was even mentioned in the article.

Sadly #NotAllGames work on Windows too, there's a lot of console exclusives, just saying.

>Maybe I'll vote with my wallet and buy an RX 560/570
I advice you to be very careful and do a lot of checking before buying any GPU right now. Just a few weeks ago the cheapest locally available RX 580 was a 4 GB varient priced at what equates to $422. Right now there is a MSI Armour 8 GB card in one store selling for $340. That same card in another popular local store would cost you $440.

Crypto is crashing and that combined with ASICs for some algorithms making even high-end GPU mining of those unprofitable means GPU prices are all over the place.

If you find a nice deal on a 560/570 or even 580 locally then by all means, go for it. But do make sure you look around. $340 for a RX 580 8 GB isn't that cheap but it's a lot better than$440 and I see price-gaps like this on other cards too.

I've also noticed quite a few RX 470's and other cards appear on ebay at cheap prices the last few weeks. Not too sure about those, though, there's been plenty of fake nvidia cards out of China the last year so who knows what you'd get.

Attached: amdgirls-big.jpg (1000x748, 92K)

Also some older games don't work on W10.

Because no one who cannot afford actual video games uses 4K.

>only benchmarks those games to cherry pick and make Linux look great in comparison
nah, that's not it. Your point about many Windows games using DirectX is valid but the reason the majority of those games aren't compared doesn't have to do with any bias, it's because they can't. You obviously need to be able to run a game on both GNU/Linux and Windows to compare performance between those platforms. And which games run on both? That's obviously going to be mostly OpenGL and Vulkan games.

Attached: steam-on-linux-2018-06-29.png (2460x1647, 656K)

Okay, what's objectively the best distro for games?

I only tried Ubuntu but I always get annoying bugs everytime I update the system, so when I install linux I never update.

you can't compare two different renderers because they are most definitely written with completely different codepaths. it's a moot point because this test is presumably trying to compare which one has higher driver overhead which to some extent arguably includes API implementations of opengl.

phoronix is pretty retarded though the suite is pretty cool. this dude provides little to no insight as to why there's discrepancies in benchmarks which just shows that he's a grug tier test runner

Wasn't even thinking of buying RX580. I want my GPU to use 150W or less, preferably 100 or less. A 4GB RX570 is available for 320 USD here in slavlands.
I wouldn't buy a used card simply because I don't want to bother with a risk of it being raped for mining.
I might just buy an RX 460 for $120 because I really never needed more than 2GB VRAM and everything I play runs at 60+ fps.

Really old games work better in wine than on regular windows compatibility mode.
Also no killing explorer.exe

Manjaro (with repositories set to testing) and Arch both get the latest wine-staging in their repositories.
Also, both have access to AUR so you can grab DXVK, which you will need for DX11 games.
The AUR also has some more advanced wine versions like wine-gaming-nine and wine-staging-pba(-git) which are the latest wine staging versions but with even more patches applied.
The patches not in wine-staging but in those AUR versions could be the difference between a game running and a game crashing.
I'm personally running wine-gaming-nine, but I might switch to wine-staging-pba-git again, since it only uses Git repositories while wine-gaming-nine also uses precompiled.

That being said, Easy Mode is using any distro you want and letting Lutris manage your wine and dxvk versions. That means you will get the latest wine-patches later, but have the least trouble configuring your installations.

Also while I'm at it, I really recommend Manjaro if you want a non-ubuntu but beginner friendly experience. If you're a beginner, get one of it's Desktop Environment versions and if you don't like XFCE, KDE or Gnome you can also get one of the Community Edition Spin-Offs with e.g. Budgie or Cinnamon as DE ( manjaro.org/community-editions/ )

And finally, if you really need all your games running, wait until atleast the end of the year.
While everything that's going on right now with linux gaming looks promising, it still needs a bit of time

Attached: thinkfu.jpg (640x852, 344K)

I didn't even mean dinosaur age games but like 10 years old.

Attached: 615_289586146.jpg (640x360, 56K)

>Unity is literally a GNOME skin.
How old are you?

Coming from Playonlinux, I'm trying to install a test game. Any idea why the installer script for this game has basically nothing but an appid in it?
lutris.net/api/installers/tomb-raider-underworld-steam?format=json

The install is failing with a steam assert failure, so I'm trying to tweak it to use a different wine version, or something like that, depending on what I see in the script, to get it to work.

Reminder AppImages are the future of gaming and filesharing

Attached: appImage.png (720x340, 290K)

>Also no killing explorer.exe
That's wrong, now you have many old games that don't exit properly and just keep running in the background. I had to write a systray with a kill popup to keep track of that shit.

check out this project
winepak.org/

at what point in the installation did it fail?
that install script looks barebone, yes, but since the game has a platinum rating it doesn't need a custom wine runner, so none was added (I guess)
do you have wine installed (just to make sure you're not missing dependencies)?
I'm running the installer right now, but I don't have the game.
My guess is that it will just take me to the store page after Steam starts

It looks like it fails in the steamrunner itself, in the last 10 or so lines here, this is after the small steam window shows the initial downloading and updating process completing:
pastebin.com/KGXiyvqT

I've tried deleting the steamrunner directory and reinstalling, no luck though.

I've got wine 1.6.2 as my default, but Lutris doesn't use the default system wine at all, right? I would add a new wine version to Lutris (since a warning reads "Wine 3.0 or higher not found" at the top of that pastebin), but I can't without first installing a game that uses wine, I think.

Did the steamrunner install for you, as bring you to the store at least? I'm using Mint 18 (Ubuntu 16.04) as a base.

I haven't been able to get FO3 to work with mods on Linux. I don't know what it is, but it just crashes just before it loads to the wasteland

>the games I don't like don't work but that's not a problem
I don't even play those games but this is just pretentious. This approach is literally the reason why opensource software remains "that guy" zone. No one cares about what games epic Discord gamers or whoever is the unspoken authority of all things "reeel games" these days hate. People have different tastes and the games you've claimed to be non-valuable are valuable for many folks including those who value opensource software because gameplay is not patronized by any specific OS. So yes it is a problem. The impossibility of implementing a proper anti cheat solution on Linux doesn't score any points with the gaming community.

>I don't know what it is, but it just crashes just before it loads to the wasteland
does it work with the mod setup on windows?
I mean, it could be your mods fault, or your mod loading orders fault
I've ran Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Skyrim SE, Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4 with mods on Linux, always using Wrye Bash as mod manager
Don't have FO3 to test it

>wine 1.6.2 as my default, but Lutris doesn't use the default system wine at all, right
that could be it desu.
I'm running Arch with wine-staging 3.10.
So here's what you can do:
Top left, click on "Manage Runners" -> Scroll down to "Wine" (not wine Steam)-> click "Manage Versions" -> click e.g. "staging-3.11" or "3.11"
it should start downloading now
Once the download is done, again in the "Manage Runners" window, now go to "Wine Steam" and click "Configure"
You can now select the lutris wine runner for wine steam like in pic related

this is obviously a problem with the install script, since it should list a wine-version that it works with. the script author assumed newer system defaults, which he shouldn't have

Attached: lutris.png (780x560, 6K)

>The impossibility of implementing a proper anti cheat solution on Linux doesn't score any points with the gaming community.
It's not impossible to implement anti cheat on linux.
all source engine games that use VAC work
also, just as an example, ARK, which uses the same anticheat as fortnite (BattleEye) and which are both unreal engine games (which has native linux support if the developer decides to publish for it) works just fine with it's anticheat on linux.

the trouble is that BattleEye and EasyAntiCheat won't run in wine (yet)

VAC "works". Someone here has mentioned TF2 and I recall some cheating bot drama regarding the game. I mean yeah you can say that technically it works like it "does" something but to my knowledge it's extremely ineffective on both Windows and Linux.
To be honest I didn't research further into this issue and I just recalled something that I read about the bot issue. I also didn't know about BattleEye though so thank you for the clarification (as again I don't play any of those games) and I was just disappointed by that specific "ew" approach so don't mind that.

Thank you man, that did it!
Unfortunately, just like with POL I still get a black screen in this game, but now I can try Lutris with other games. I think this problem is somehow specific to me.

>I was just disappointed by that specific "ew" approach so don't mind that
not your fault.
I forgot that I wasn't on /v/ so it just slipped.
I actually wanted to buy and play Rainbow 6 Siege, but then I read that it's anti-cheat prevents it from working, so I got Overwatch instead

if you're willing to try more, check this guide on wine dependecy hell.
gloriouseggroll.tv/how-to-get-out-of-wine-dependency-hell/
just in case it doesn't work because of some missing dependency

I'll give this a try later, ty.

I sometimes try to spread the word of that silky smooth groomed "don't judge games by what's hip and what's not " approach on /v/ but desu that's a little bit hypocritical as I'm sure that anyone that has posted there for at least once was overly critical to the popular games and has their own preferences they go apew shit over so yeah it's all not very meaningful. I don't really like Overwatch and the approach that Blizzard takes but I'm glad that it works.

DOS1 had Linux. Its probably a matter of time before DOS2 is on Linux. I'm going to play DOS1EE on Linux with my sister this summer.

Stop dude. You're making us look bad. Go write your own DRM market program then. Actually, don't.