Is there a such thing as a 14 inch ultrabook with dedicated graphics that won't cost me my left nut...

Is there a such thing as a 14 inch ultrabook with dedicated graphics that won't cost me my left nut? I want portability and to be able to run Civ at framerates that won't make my eyes bleed, is that really too much to ask?

Attached: sus.jpg (450x400, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834316241&cm_re=acer_swift_3_mx150-_-34-316-241-_-Product
notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-MX150-Benchmark-and-Specs-of-the-GT-1030-for-Laptops.223530.0.html
amazon.com/Acer-i5-8250U-NVIDIA-GeForce-SF314-52G-55WQ/dp/B0746P25QX
thunderbolttechnology.net/products?tid=14&field_company_nid=All&field_prod_os_value_many_to_one=All&field_prod_tb_version_value_many_to_one=tbv3
dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-laptops-netbooks-and-tablets/new-dell-g5-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-5587-laptop
notebookcheck.net/ASUS-ZenBook-13-UX331UN-i7-8550-GeForce-MX150-SSD-FHD-Laptop-Review.284986.0.html
notebookcheck.net/HP-Envy-13-ad006ng-i7-7500U-MX150-Laptop-Review.258878.0.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Laptop:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834316241&cm_re=acer_swift_3_mx150-_-34-316-241-_-Product

GPU benchmarks (scroll down):

notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-MX150-Benchmark-and-Specs-of-the-GT-1030-for-Laptops.223530.0.html

I forgot to mention I live in cucknada so my only real option for ordering from the US is amazon otherwise I'm stuck with the shitty canadian affiliate sites.

amazon.com/Acer-i5-8250U-NVIDIA-GeForce-SF314-52G-55WQ/dp/B0746P25QX

>Affordable
>Dedicated GPU
>Ultrabook
>Non shitty thermals

Pick 3

HP probook

I wonder in how many weeks if not days the laptoo would die.
HP laptops are already bad enough at full size.

>dedicated GPU in a laptop
>when the Intlel G series exists
>when the 2700u bests the MX150 in most gaymes (given dual channel memory, which is on most of the AMD laptops)
shiggy diggy

More like pick 2 desu

More like pick 1 desu

Long story short: no.
Either you get an ultraportable with enough power to play Civ decently but the battery will die fast, or you get something with a huge ass battery which will make the laptop bulkier and heavier.
Also, you should not care too much for GPU for Civ: CPU and RAM are more important.
I run the game on my workstation and use steam streaming or nomachine to play it on laptop/tablet.

>Acer

If you really want an ultrabook, pick a model having low specs. Ultrabooks don't have fans inside, so they might get really hot when CPU usage goes up.

>dedicated gpu
>on a laptop
I still have to understand why people want this...gaming? Video editing? Build yourself a good desktop and do those things at home.

Yes it is. Thin clients this thin incorporate 15-25w cooling solutions for BOTH the CPU and iGPU/dGPU. You're asking for the impossible.

You're better off getting a cheap thin client, getting a nice desktop mATX desktop thick client and remote into your your thick client from your thin one.

Why do you want 14 and not 15?

Please don't ever show your face on this board again.

>HP laptops are already bad enough at full size.
why exactly?

X220 w/ nv chip

I'm getting a yoga 730 15, but my config's setting me back $1600

More pick MacBook desu

Have swift 3 54G, 8250u/16gb, pretty nice one.
t. Ivan

how is acer quality compared to 4 years ago, have an acer v5 573g and the thing is flimsy af

>MX150
>dat shit screen
Maybe it's just me not being able to stand cheap shitbooks but I would rather save money unless you are ultrapoor or don't care.

You want literally any one of these laptops:
thunderbolttechnology.net/products?tid=14&field_company_nid=All&field_prod_os_value_many_to_one=All&field_prod_tb_version_value_many_to_one=tbv3

Then buy an external GPU ($300 adapter + GPU), plug it in, and have at it.

Pick 2 because they are going to be expensive

Pretty nice as for ultrabooks actually. Also, no bloatware out of the box.

Dell XPS15. It's technically 15" but it's about the size of a normal everyday 14" laptop thanks to the supper slim bezels.
Dunno how much you'd consider your left nut worth but 1300$ is a pretty solid price for what you get.

Attached: aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGFwdG9wbWFnLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvdXBsb2Fkcy8yNDA5L2cvZGVsbC14cHMtMTUtMjAxNy1udy1nMDEuanBn (775x500, 118K)

>14"
kind of, you'll probably have to go to 15" but I dont think 1" is a real deal breaker
>dedicated gpu
yup
>affordable
if yes, you don't get to have #4
>portable
if yes, you don't get to have #3

Kind of sucks but the machine you want just doesn't really exist yet
is the closest to what you want, but the $1300 model only has the intel internal gpu which I guess is adequate, but honestly sucks fucking dick when compared to anything. The one with a 1050 is $2000

dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-laptops-netbooks-and-tablets/new-dell-g5-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-5587-laptop

This might be a better option, you get everything you want performance and price-wise, but it won't be terribly light (although honestly 5.7lb isn't that bad, be a man about it). I have a similar laptop albeit older (7559, I think this is what that series turned into) and haven't had any problems whatsoever. The build quality is excellent and even though they're marketed as "gamer" laptops, the only gamer thing is the little red accents, but there's no over the top LEDs or anything. Mine can be kind of loud and times and gets sort of hot, but it hasn't overheated or anything. They also only come with 8gb of ram, but its only 1 screw to take the bottom plate off and adding in another card is trivial

>the $1300 model only has the intel internal gpu which I guess is adequate

Wow, you guys get fucked on that over in the states. I figured Dell would keep this shit consistent and just swap the $ with a € sign like literally every other manufacturer, but they actually put some effort into it.
Here in the EU the cheapest one comes with an i5 and a 1050. If you go for the 1500€ model you get one of the slick 6 core i7s and a 1050ti, problem there is they cheap out on the battery. If you want the i7, 1050ti, and the good battery you have to go all the way up to 1700€ before discounts.

but 1300€ is like $1550USD and around $2000CAD. It kind of evens out. Although ya, region specific pricing, especially in regards to technology can be really fucking stupid and nonsensical. At least we don't live in Brazil

Yeah, I'm just so used to getting fucked hard on tech prices I've pretty much accepted the 20% or so markup we actually get as a fact of life.

Ya Im Canadian so Im kind of used to getting fucked. People in US are able to buy our resources and other exports for like 20-30% cheaper than we are (oil, lumber, dairy, grain, booze, etc). I get how economy of scale works, but its still maximum jewery

Idk user, for what OP is asking you can get an Asus ZenBook / Vivobook (i5 8250, mx150, SSD, thin and light) for around 800€ where I live, I can only assume it's cheaper if OP lives in the US. Thats affordable for a dGPU laptop. Then again those two are kinda poorly built and probably dont even have fans so anything remotely demanding Will make the quad core i5 shit itself. And burn your hands.

Get either refurbished current or new (old model) Skylake XPSs 15. You'll get a GTX 1050 which will perform better than the MX150.

Is there an ultrabook somewhere that could sustain above 3ghz CPU for more than an hour?

I do like the portability of the 13" formfactor, but the XPS 15 is really nice looking.

You could consider getting a decently specd Ultrabook (no GPU)and proper ventilation featuring Thunderbolt 3 and buy an External GPU afterwards, enclosures will get cheaper as they become mainstream. That way you'd be getting better battery life than you would on a dGPU laptop, and way better performance with an External GPU.

notebookcheck.net/ASUS-ZenBook-13-UX331UN-i7-8550-GeForce-MX150-SSD-FHD-Laptop-Review.284986.0.html

notebookcheck.net/HP-Envy-13-ad006ng-i7-7500U-MX150-Laptop-Review.258878.0.html

These two tick a lot of boxes, but each come with their own small flaws

Cormac?

If you want good Linux compatibility, go for Dell.

I got a Yoga 520 for 420 on sale, the yoga line is decent enough for your needs I suppose