Back in the day did you boys go with the virgin's GTX 970 or the chad's R9 390

Back in the day did you boys go with the virgin's GTX 970 or the chad's R9 390

Attached: GTX 390.jpg (1920x1080, 286K)

incel integrated graphics

games are for faggots

970 was $120 so I went with that.

>tfw 290x and skipped that generation

Attached: 1530036448239.gif (540x303, 2.74M)

I had the chad's r9 290 still with an EK waterblock that could do 1290 on core for gaming.

Neither

Graphics Chipset
AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
got a $50 discount promo code on Newegg, thanks to lurking the AMD subreddit

also got the Sapphire tri-x to compensate for my small penis

still running a G1 Gaymen 390X 8GB
it's a good card

indeed it is, 512 bits of pure girth

me too

Attached: KIMG0104v`.jpg (2816x1224, 1.46M)

mind telling me what case that is? i need to build a handy to carry pc for a friend and that case looks like it does the job

its actually huge for mitx, and with all that shit in it thing weighs a good amountlooks for something else i have buyers remorse. pc was not made for carrying around get something that s better

he wont carry it on a daily basis but he changes the place he rents every so often so it atleast needs to be good for carrying around for a couple of hours

no on a daily basis? so its not too important than. tell your friend to get his priorities straight

Attached: bitfenix_prodigy.jpg (640x638, 44K)

I had a 780, which recently died after a year of barely being used. My dad's 7970s that both mined for a year straight both work perfectly, I should have gone with based AMD for fuck sakes.

he's studying animation and graphics, so he needs something better than a laptop that wont cost him an arm and a leg

did the side panel melt away?

I had two ancient overclocked 570 instead and used them until both died which in turn made me buy a 1070ti which werks fine for me

>"Back in the day"

Attached: 1518481300626.jpg (1280x720, 100K)

3 years is a lot of time/4 if you count the 970s release

Chad R9 290

R9s are a solid buy as they can double as sauna stoves.

Stop lying. He wants it for games. He should just get a laptop and use the lab computers at school.

Attached: image.jpg (540x480, 203K)

I'm not in the conversation, but if he actually wants to save money, buying a larger case would give better specs for less money. Performance will generate more heat in midgrade parts. Plus, in my opinion, you would need to be moving pretty often for this to be a consideration when purchasing. I move once a year at least, and I lug around a steel full ATX each time. That fucker is at least 40 lbs. I hate it everytime, but it's like 10 minutes of lifting that particular object once a year for the ability to have a fuckload of room and circulation for my parts. Your friend should man the fuck up because I have spaghetti arms.

Just my thoughts though. It can be nice to have a tiny desktop if you want to move it around your house or some shit.

Still use my r9 390, I have no regrets whatsoever.

Still had my 7970 at that time

Got the 970 soon after release because it was the best card for that price at the time.
Virgin? Yes
3.5+0.5? Yes
Do I care? [spoiler]Maybe[/spoiler]

Attached: IMG_20141030_193239.jpg (2592x1944, 1.02M)

Manchildren are liars. What a surprise.

Niggers still bought the 3.5gb meme more

>Back in the day
I never bought an ATI/AMD card nor a nvidia card until last year.

Tseng Labs, Cirrus Logic, Matrox, 3dfx, and then I stopped playing games and went with integrated graphics. Radeon RX 580 last year because of Ryzen.

Had the R9 390, upgraded to 1080ti and gave the 390 to an intern for his first build. It will serve him well.

This. I can still run games in 4k at decent settings, especially racing sims which is most of what I play.

The meme70 turned out to be the purchase of the decade.

It's showing its age on anything above 1080p res.

>TFW wanted a 2nd hand 970
I actually think the 390 isn't so bad, if you undervolt it.

I wouldn't buy it anymore unless its cheap, the 480 is superior by any means. 970 and 480 are the same performance level.

Attached: 480.jpg (801x999, 162K)

Plays Homeworld just fine in 1200p.

I got a MSI 390x several years ago. It's still running strong and I have no plans to update until I got full 4k or until next gen VR is out.

It's been a great card.

I got an XFX 390x and it was a massive piece of shit.

>Do I care? [spoiler]Maybe[/spoiler]
that says that you are going towards another novideo card.
>evga
I see you like cheap chink shit.
You like to live dangerously.

I still using an Asus 290x I bought used about 4 years ago.

One of the fans has died and I'm not sure i can get a replacement. So for gaming I'm just going to screw some 120mm's right to it's face.

Got a 390 for 350$, wondering how much an equivalent card cost now.

Back in the day is something you say to things pre-2001, 2005 is already pushing it.

Just slap an Accelero cooler on it bro.

I stuck with the boomer's radeon 7950, the 2500k of video cards

holy fuck

R7 360, biggest mistake I ever made.

The legendary 7870XT.

>You like to live dangerously
They don't call it Bang-cock Dangerous for no reason.

It was never meant for anything above 1080p

Mine's balls to the wall overclocked and it runs everything I can throw at it

The EVGA 970 cooler was shit, one of the heatpipes wasn't even making contact with the die and wasn't even sealed

Attached: lol evga.jpg (1920x1080, 351K)

this desu

if he'd asked about if I replaced my GeForce 4 Ti 4200 with a Radeon 9500 then he could have said "back in the day"

I bought a 4GB GTX 770 a year before. Luckily I don't gaem anymore.

my fellow melanin enriched specimen

Attached: pc.jpg (1364x1572, 733K)

Msi Gaming x 390

Why aren't GTX 970 costing like peanuts now?

I want to buy one for 50 bucks.

Because they have the performance of a GTX 1060?

Because they aren't aging like milk like Kepler cards

kraken g10 + AIO

Attached: shoebox5000.jpg (3264x1840, 1.61M)

>Why aren't GTX 970 costing like peanuts now?
How much are they? I've got a used one and one BNIB I never used. Both are in the closet collecting dust.

GRAPHICS CARDS??!! *sip* ahh BACK IN MY DAY WE DIDN'T HAVE GRAPHICS ... ALL WE HAD WAS PUNCH CARDS!

Attached: IMG_9216.jpg (380x349, 35K)

980 SLI

>I see you like cheap chink shit
HAHAHAHAHA AND THATS COMMING FROM A FUCKEN AMD USER PHAHAHAHAHA GOD DAMN YOU ARE PATHETIC.

>Back in the day
I'm still using my 390. I thought it was still good :(

>Accelero cooler
I am not too confident with fucking with gpu coolers and such.
>$65 cooler verses a $7 fan

Thanks for the suggestion though I appreciate it.

EVGA is low quality garbage.
>inb4 AMD poojeet
I have a 1070Ti btw

had a 390 msi gaming 8g and it sucked
threw it in the bin and bought a pascal card

EVGA 670 FTW

980ti or Titan X Maxwell is still the best GPU because they can still run CRT.

10 series is cheap trash with out a internal digital analogue converter.

Just a little update if anyone cared. I found an old intel cpu heat sink that had a fan that fit right inside with just a little dremmeling.

That fucker really moves the air too, and with my heavy acrylic case I still can't really hear it.

>No more 90c+ gaming for me.

Attached: 20180630.jpg (2292x1175, 611K)

the big daddy 980ti

not overclocked a 980ti is basicaly a 1070ti but overclocked it can perform better than a 1080 overclocked beacuse overclocking on 10series is trash.

so yer the only GPU more powerful than a 980ti atm is really a 1080ti and is it really worth getting 20 more fps out of 100-200fps to not have CRT support?

>can still run CRT.
Wait, fucking what? The current gen on cards won't work with a CRT monitor? Why the fuck did they do that?

CRTs take analog input - VGA. Technically it'd be possible to have made a CRT that accepted digital input like DVI, but nobody did, you'd just be converting it back to analog inside the monitor anyway. Modern video cards dropped the digital-to-analog conversion hardware needed to output that signal. I presume as a cost-cutting measure, people who game on CRTs aren't exactly a large market. Also they're starting to drop DVI ports in favor of DP. DP doesn't even have the analog pins in it like DVI did, which is one reason its smaller.

I believe you can still get active converter boxes with a DAC in them that'll give you a VGA out, but like most niche items, you'll pay for it. Integrated graphics also still generally has the needed stuff to produce an analog signal that can drive a CRT, I believe, since non-gaming users may have older display hardware, or old VGA projectors and shit.

GTX 1060 3 GiB

Still had a 7970 at that point

About $250 (1060 GTX)

They ditched dvi-i and ramdacs. No more analogue support.

Try flashing 390x ROM into it, it's easy. A little bit of performance boost for free and less heat. My XFX 290 usually was sitting around 90C, but after I flashed 390 ROM into it, my temps dropped by around 4 to 6 degrees.

I went from a 650TI 1G directly to a 1060 6G at launch before the hike and skipped all the drama in between and after.

Mine was $140.

got the R9 390 when it first came out
sold it a year ago during the mining boom for more than I bought it for

It's time to let go of your obsolete medieval technology, user.

>back in the day

i bought a 960 because i was upgrading from an 8800 gts
was floored by the performance increase, it was like a whole new world opened up to me
still using it, still rarely saturate it more than 60% or so (im on a sub-1080p resolution)

Neither, I got the CHAD's GTX 980

Is Dia retarded?

Hello there summerfag! When using greentext quoting text isn't required.

kys faggot

Still using my 4GB 960. It actually handles 1440p30 very well.

Skipped that gen, went straight from 270x to 480

I have a Gigabyte 390 but when I play demanding games with it, the card hits 90c and the fans make a hurricane-like noise.

Switching the thermal paste didn't do anything.

That's because the 390s are housefire tier like the Fermi cards.

Same

I went from a r9 285 to a 1070 when they first came out. Got a Oem one not retail and paid $320

No regrets it's so much better

GTX 770. "Back in the day" I used to get a new rig every 3 years, now I'm stuck with this 2013 build for the foreseeable future.

Radeon seemed to have gone to shit at the time; this was largely overshadowed by the Bulldozer fiasco. Last good Radeons were HD 7000 series, then the endless rebranding began.

The 770 is a nice card, but now that I'm using Linux it's causing more pain than it's worth. I also don't need (and/or ideologically oppose) CUDA, Goyworks or Goy-Sync, so my next card will be AMD... whenever that happens.

Attached: small_radeon-hd-7970-1.jpg (590x330, 38K)

>3.5

Haha, I see you got a power supply that doesn't fit too.

>Radeon seemed to have gone to shit at the time
>at the time
Don't worry, Radeon still hasn't recovered and isn't going to in the foreseeable future.
Vega is overpriced garbage with performance that doesn't match its pricetag, and RX 580 is just a rebranded RX 480.

Sadly Nvidia is the only option if you want a high-end graphics card. RX 580 is a fine mid-range card, but in the high end AMD simply cannot compete.

this, but a reference 290 that could unlock and was promptly watercooled because of the housefire potential.