I've eliminated like 3 different cables and tidied up your living room entertainment center. i can handle video, audio...

I've eliminated like 3 different cables and tidied up your living room entertainment center. i can handle video, audio, and data.

why do you still hate me so much Jow Forums?

Attached: HDMI-cable_Petr-Kratochvil_Public-Domain-Pictures.jpg (1280x853, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_DisplayPort
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because you look too rough. We need simpler, more elegant design like usb t->c for the sheeples!

because i can't plug in my last gen console into my 30 year old head unit since it doesnt have analog audio

because i still use vga

Because DisplayPort does everything you do, but better.
Not even a joke.

i do too but not because i hate hdmi. im just too poor to afford a new monitor right now.

>I've eliminated like 3 different cables
You're American I guess, OP?

Attached: 811M97DwLgL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 176K)

that look pretty hideous my dude.

Yeah, just 4 years later when everybody already adopted HDMI.

Good thing this is 2018. You know, the present. It does not matter what, when or how.
My computer and TV both have DP. A must for 4k and 120Hz.

>My computer and TV both have DP. A must for 4k and 120Hz.
Great, so like 1% of the market. Still doesn't explain why people hate HDMI.

>Still doesn't explain why people hate HDMI.
People don't, Jow Forums hates HDMI because it's DRM the connector.
DVI-D is is electronically compatible with HDMI, nobody hates DVI-D here. (At least didn't when it was actually used.)

enjoy your supsampling for color pallets

>nobody hates DVI-D here
And nobody uses it here or elsewhere. Newer TVs are slowly adopting DP, I have yet to see TV with DVI.

>nobody uses it here or elsewhere
DVI is still really common.

Attached: IMG_20180629_134531.jpg (3120x4160, 1.66M)

Is there a difference between DP and mDP?

>And nobody uses it here or elsewhere.
Because it's almost legacy, did you not see the part where I said:
>(At least didn't when it was actually used.)

>Newer TVs are slowly adapting*** DP, I have yet to see TV with DVI.
They where fairly common actually at a time, but entirely replaced by HDMI.

Connector. mDP is a version of DP made by Apple with a smaller connector.

There's no bandwidth difference or anything? My monitor came with a dp to mdp so I've just been using that since I got it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_DisplayPort
If you use it on a non-Apple machine, no, no difference.

is there anything wrong with vga?
just werks on my machine

No, it just has its limitations.

proprietary jew fee
>the fee is even more expensive if your product doesn't have the HDMI logo

Analog signal that looks noticeably shittier than DVI/DP/HDMI on most modern screens. Seriously my company gave me a dual screen workstation with one of the monitors plugged in with VGA and reading text on that thing gave me a damn migraine. But swapping out to DP instantly made it better.

i use it with an hdmi to dvi adapter

Maybe he's talking about retro use or such.
VGA is still the best for CRTs.

i dont have any modern monitors but ill try borrowing a cable for a projector to test it out

Except for the whole "huge fucking super thick cable that's impossible to route except around very gentle curves aka not in real life" thing.

And the obnoxious latching mechanism.

And the inability to carry audio.

And the only *slightly* better data rate which will be superseded by the next HDMI revision anyway.

But other than that, sure.

you forgot to mention the *snaps*

Because DisplayPort does the same thing, without a license.

And?

>And the inability to carry audio.
Are you retarded?

Because while you've eliminated cables you've also introduced HDCP

We hate it because HDMI is DRM, is locked behind HDCP so you can't carry 8 channel audio unless there's a HDCP handshake so if you use a receiver that doesn't have 4K60 you have to use one HDMI for audio and fake a monitor and the other directly from the GPU for image.

Americans don't have SCART?

Nope

DisplayPort has the same issue. I have no idea why Jow Forums bitches about HDMI being "DRM" yet constantly shills DisplayPort when it has the same fucking DRM.

Also HDMI has one advantage over DisplayPort, it supports higher color depth. Using HDMI I get 1440p/12-bit, while DP only goes to 10-bit. DP also drops to 8-bit when going over 60fps while HDMI only drops to 10. Granted, my monitor is only 8-bit so this is of limited use, but I'm sure this matters to someone out there.

>I have no idea why Jow Forums bitches about HDMI being "DRM" yet constantly shills DisplayPort when it has the same fucking DRM.
>Jow Forums is one person

No, RGB was limited to VGA in America. We went from composite to S-video (4-pin port that separates chroma and luma, was popularized by SVHS and Super Beta) and then to component which supports YPbPr up to 1080i.

I get angry because I see this misconception everywhere on Jow Forums and in PC forums elsewhere as well. It's one of the biggest misconceptions in the entire cable world. DisplayPort has no royalties, but IT IS NOT DRM-FREE. DVI and DP both support HDCP, and DisplayPort also has it's own optional DRM built in.

Splitters exist

because you are incompetent and parallel to that, you are riddled with DRM. No reason to love a connection when it's inferior in every single way. Unless it becomes overwhelmingly superior to DP, there is no reason to use it. As it currently stands, it is worse objectively in every single way.

DRM bullshit.

Do displayport connectors break easily too? Or does something else snap?

>Are you retarded?
I have never had a monitor that can accept audio over displayport.

SCART was only used in PAL countries, mostly in Europe.
It was dumb marketing, while both places had composite, s-video, component, only Europe had SCART and devices supporting RGB before component came along while NTSC America was forced to use s-video.

>Except for the whole "huge fucking super thick cable that's impossible to route except around very gentle curves aka not in real life" thing.
This depends what quality cable you get, both for HDMI and DP.

>And the obnoxious latching mechanism.
At least it has a latching mechanism, unlike HDMI. Please, don't make the "I'm a retard and pull my cables and it broke" argument, it's bullshit.

>And the inability to carry audio.
Oh it's just bait. Gotcha.

No, you're a dumdum.
Sure, it's royalty free also, but the point is, DRM is implantent only by manufactures, not by the standard itself. Unlike HDMI.
Your argument would be like bitching Linux has non-free software by 3rd party commercial manufactures while Linux itself is free and open source. Yet do you see anyone shitting on Linux on Jow Forums for that?

>Also HDMI has one advantage over DisplayPort, it supports higher color depth. Using HDMI I get 1440p/12-bit, while DP only goes to 10-bit. DP also drops to 8-bit when going over 60fps while HDMI only drops to 10. Granted, my monitor is only 8-bit so this is of limited use, but I'm sure this matters to someone out there.
What year is this, 2014? DP can do 12-bit. It can even do 16-bit with compression.

I hate shart.

>This depends what quality cable you get, both for HDMI and DP.
Ultra slim HDMI cables exist - the plastic casing around the connector is barely larger than the connector itself, and the cable is thin and extremely flexible, maybe the thickness/flexibility of 2 standard earbud cables.

The smallest DP cables are literally thicker than the fucking power cables for my computer and monitors. They're fucking awful for cable management, you can't hide them easily (or sometimes, at all) on monitor mounts, and they're impossible to wrap closely to corners.

DisplayPort fucking sucks, not because of the technology, but because of the fucking cables.

>At least it has a latching mechanism, unlike HDMI. Please, don't make the "I'm a retard and pull my cables and it broke" argument, it's bullshit.
You don't understand. I don't WANT a latching mechanism, at all, because I'm not a retard who trips over cables.

>Oh it's just bait. Gotcha.
see I have never had a monitor that can accept audio over displayport.

>DisplayPort fucking sucks, not because of the technology, but because of the fucking cables.
Autism: the "Argument"

>The smallest DP cables are literally thicker than the fucking power cables for my computer and monitors.
No idea, the DisplayPort cable that goes from my laptop to TV is as thick as a CAT5. That's a proper good cable thickness with shielding.
HDMI that length usually start cutting out the picture is there's electronic interference around you, like pushing a lightswitch on a wall can make the picture stutter for several seconds. That's because most cables are think and without proper shielding.

>I don't WANT a latching mechanism, at all, because I'm not a retard who trips over cables.
So you have nothing to worry about, latch in the cable and it's snug in there.
You want to get it out, press on the connector and it pops just out (unless you use cheap chink cables).

Must have sucked living in a place where your consoles came with s-video cables (or even composite) and not RGB SCART to hook up to your consumer Trinitron.

>ignoring pragmatism for the sake of slight, soon-to-be-surpassed marginal increases in bandwidth
Boy you sure are smart.

>being a faggot who can't handle durable functional cables and connectors
Boy you sure are weak.

is DVI-D oldschool?
My new monitor uses it

>hardware DRM
>half the equipment doesn't have proper passthrough for all the features
>not nearly as futureproof as it thought
>no options for locks
>took over a decade to get decently priced cables

Attached: 1412474989940.gif (500x500, 994K)

The point is there's no functional difference between DisplayPort and HDMI, both are necessary to view DRM-protected content. Whining about DRM on HDMI is completely nonsensical.
> not by the standard itself
Like I said, there IS a DisplayPort standard for DRM. It's just optional, but it's still built into the standard.

>not nearly as futureproof as it thought
Displayport 1.5/2.0 will require a new cable
>But 1.4 is good enough!
No it's not, only supports up to 4k/120Hz/SDR and much less with 10-bit HDR enabled.

>renders all other cables obsolete
>Universal Serial Bus + optional Thunderbolt 3
>Thunderbolt protocol released by Intel
>Thunderbolt 3 on everything
>one cable to rule them all

Say 3 objectively negative things about this cable and its protocols.

Attached: monoprice-31-usbc-usbc-cable-130031-100577830-large[1].jpg (580x435, 27K)

>bulk of all host implementations are wrong or treat the spec as "general" guidelines
>most C hubs still aren't the jack of all trades they promise to be
They do some of the things some of the time. Never all of them, all of the time.
>requires complicated implementation
Where are my USB-C mug warmers and/or fans?

I'll give it ten years before they finally iron out all the rough edges. Then they'll try to introduce a new port.

Attached: 1316958506180.png (292x355, 229K)

you forgot
>audio/video data backdoor stream to china

All I care about is that it's much more mechanically robust than micro USB. I don't really give 2 shits if it ever becomes the standard for ever device under the sun, it's already proven itself to be a great replacement for micro USB, and that alone is enough to justify its existence.

Attached: 1397641999029.png (600x1024, 377K)

>Europoors