What does this mean for the industry and for the hackintosh scene?

What does this mean for the industry and for the hackintosh scene?

Attached: IMG_20180629_233523.png (772x546, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

statista.com/statistics/263401/global-apple-iphone-sales-since-3rd-quarter-2007/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it means that you are a faggot

Attached: intell btfo.jpg (638x599, 123K)

Apple will ban any scripting language and will only provide a swift™ compiler for the new proprietary instruction set with a 999$ licence per developer.

Using Metal over OpenGL / Vulcan will be more detrimental to Apple than switch to ARM.

>Apple working on software merge
>Apple plans to use its own chips in Macs
So, ARM-based PCs which will be dead on arrival?
Because in the current market, I fail to see what other architecture they will try to use. MIPS is dead, PowerPC is outdated and mostly dead outside of dedicated vidya hardware, SPARC is expensive.
I fail to see why Mac would move away from x86 (and they are, since they're specifically claiming they will use their own chips, and not AMD chips), and I fail to see how they would make their own cutting-edge chips without any sort of production capacity for it.

>999$ licence per developer
that's per faggot.

Considering how intensely Apple hates things from outside their ecosystem I could believe this

>I fail to see how they would make their own cutting-edge chips without any sort of production capacity for it.
you fail to see that apple's main market is phones and laptops used as facebook machines.
any current high end snapdragon would fit perfect for the mactard's need.
They cannot break loose from intel for their desktop platform, where they have heavy workload with idiots running some design shit s/w on there.

Swift is opensource, user. They don't have any need to raise up the entry level as AppStore is extremely profitable and the more developers they'll have the better it's for them.

Hackintosh is already dead. Mojave doesn’t have openGL

>you fail to see that apple's main market is phones and laptops used as facebook machines.
any current high end snapdragon would fit perfect for the mactard's need.
I realize that, but Mac PCs are only ever used for said "design shit s/w" like Adobe stuff or video editing or whatever. Lose that, and you end up with a glorified smartphone in a PC shell.
I just don't understand the logic behind it - are they intentionally trying to get rid of workfags, which probably contribute around 60% of the entire Mac ecosystem? Apple are basically shooting themselves in the foot.

why is that important, explain it to us retards

desktop computers that break when you put them in your back pocket

No drivers except for Apple sourced GPUs.

It means you actually need the specific graphics cards that Apple provides Metal support for the OS to work.

Hackintosh won’t just work on anything anymore. This is a big problem for Mac virtual machines (VMware, Qemu, etc) as well.

Ok, so nvidia might update their drivers in the future tho?

And what about the AMD cards that are equal to those used by macs? 290x, 380x etc. no support either?

Whatever, banana chips are better anyway

Here's my guess: they will either release a cheaper laptop/mini or they will put them in the low end macs in order to cut costs.

Here's why: they would be shooting themselves in the head if they made the high end macs ARM-only no matter how powerful they might be because most of the pro software is not fully ARM-ready. I doubt any company will spend money porting to ARM before high end chips become widespread.

Equal will work.

This sounds believable.

Plot twist: Apple's new CPU is based on RISC V.

No it doesn't. Raising the barrier of entry at the store actually hurts them since sale of software is pretty much a big part of software companies profit.
They sell you the garden one time only, but the decoration and plants are up for sale all the time.

PowerPC is hardly outdated. Newer 64-bit IBM POWER9 stuff is pretty cool. Not sure if a POWER9 chip would work well in a laptop though. I'd be very surprised if Apple doesn't use ARM though if not x86. I don't think there's anything wrong with them using ARM but there will likely be an awkward period of running a lot of software in a slow x86 emulator, like with ARM Windows. ARM Windows is 100% a failure though yet again so it would interesting to see ARM OS X become successful.

>x86
don't they need a license from Intel to do x86?

You are seriously underestimating what macfags and macfag "developers" are capable of swallowing.

They’ll do arm cpus for their macbook line (the thin ultra book macbooks that use low end m series intel chips) until they work with a good arm desktop cpu. I imagine they’ll have something like rosetta but instead of powerpc/x86 it will be x86/arm

>replacing corporate reasoning which is based on profits with your personal biases
is not a way to analyze and try to predict any company's actions

>Implying mactoddlers wouldn't keep on buying it
Like arguing FIFA MTX wouldn't make money because they are agressive and completely overboard. The average logical proccess behind people buying mac computers is already completely skewed. Prices increasing wouldn't mean they stop buying it, just that they would start selling their own kidneys.

>somebody gets desktop linux to run on ARM
>no one cares

>microsoft gets ARM version of windows with full x86 emulation/compatibility to run on SD835 devices with actual hardware available to purchase within a month of announcement
>a few people clap

>some no source rumor states apple will copy linux/ms and also make their desktop os for ARM some several years in the future
>mactoddler pajeets shit their streets and claim it will be the second coming of christ

Attached: 1506558726350.gif (700x243, 55K)

as addendum in fact, this is already happening and in complete disregard to actual inflation. Just take a look at iPhone prices over the years and how it has been reflected into the actual technology that goes into the phones themselves.

>a 999$ compiler for an opensource language
user you're not being objective (no pun intended) at all
>videogame comparisons

DELID THIS

Attached: delid.png (692x474, 580K)

per license
per developer
per computer
aaaaaaaand it's still an over priced piece of garbage

>personal bias
You are assuming that the target consumer of Apple products thinks rationally.

Not to mention that you can work with Swift even on Linux.

they literally spout "think different" all day so we're talking about a special kind of special

lol people are already running Mojave hackintoshes and you can get the nvidia web drivers running very easily

The hackintosh scene will be frozen in time. Nothing will stop current hackintosh from working.

>personal bias again
What does that have to do with that user purposefully ignoring the facts in favor of "apol bad" narrative? No matter what company you discuss or what side of an argument you're on you should never let your personal preferences dictate the way you analyze the market. It's like saying that PC gamers don't prefer Ryze these days just because you like your Intels

>fagintosh

Attached: 1505394140116.png (377x485, 211K)

Honestly still waiting for that surface phone. Really all I care about at this point is the ability to consolidate my laptop/phone into one device. Like the arm stuff is cool but it's supposed to build up to the climax that is the hybrid.

read last I checked, "Pro" versions of their computers were even worse. People don't buy Apple stuff because it's good, they buy it because "THEY MUST". Also, even if you want to argue scale, keep in mind the amount of people dropping more than 1000$ on that game isn't few. Once again, the average intelligence of an iToddler amounts to buying overpriced hardware. Who cares if they are paying 1000$ for a compiler, there are retards who would non-ironically buy into it.

oh yippie another fucking instruction set to learn

iphone sales have actually been tanking for years. The reason profits are increasing is Apple just keep bumping up the price while still pushing out the same low quality chinkshit they always have.

>people don't buy Apple stuff because it's good, they buy it because "THEY MUST"
What the fuck am I reading? You can say the same about Windows or installing any distro and it wouldn't make any more sense than what you've said. People buy Apple products because they like them. People buy Samsung because they like Samsung. People buy whatever new Chinese brand is shilling itself because they like something about that new Chinese brand. People get PCs because many are familiar with workflow. People get Macs because they're a middlepoint between the PC experience and distribution tweaking while having a good hardware and software support. People install distors because they need an environment that is fully adjusted to their needs.
People buy/download/install what they want to have. It's that simple. Your whole "but Apple is going to do something I think they are going to do because my irrational hate towards a manufacturer dictates the way I discuss tech related subjects" speech doesn't make any sense not because of the reasons I've already mentioned but also because Swift is
>already
available on Linux and to make it available there in order to put a huge paywall later doesn't make any sense at all as again more developers = more revenue for the company itself.

>appletrash
>explodes and overheats for no reason
>fails from dust and normal use
>zero on-site support
>zero in-home support
>long line up at the gaybar even for enterprise customers
>software updates break basic features like taking calls on itoys and booting on fruitbooks

>good hardware and software support
Ask me how I know you're an iToddler.

Attached: 1517217397446.png (750x933, 357K)

statista.com/statistics/263401/global-apple-iphone-sales-since-3rd-quarter-2007/

>proceeds to dive further into his own biases instead of sticking to the subject we discuss
Nice.
>continues to bring up random arguments as a definitive proof of why the company he doesn't like is bad and why everyone who likes it are dumbos
Everything you've mentioned is applicable to nearly every major manufacturer and still people buy millions of their devices.
>ur just an itoddler!
At least you realized that the compiler argument was ridiculous and you decided to ditch it. Whatever suits you pal.

Apple could buy Intel.

linux and windows have been on arm since the late 90's

yes they do, however they might try and pull some x86 emulation out of their arse like snapdragon/microsoft is doing.

Literally never mentioned compilers in this thread, but keep grasping at straws itoddler.

They're going to rebrand Ryzen, so whatever.

So you're not the user then right? That makes it even more hilarious as I was talking about what he's said and all of the sudden you came by.

Back to PowerPC, hopefully...

>inb4 arm based incoming....

>Apple will ban any scripting language and will only provide a swift™ compiler for the new proprietary instruction set with a 999$ licence per developer.
They already do this... You can only develop for iOS and mac on their platform

It's ARM you retard. They're not actually creating a brand new architecture.

I'd be surprised if they didn't; they have every other time they switched architectures.

Apple barely supported OpenGL in the first place, it was a complete afterthought

>you develop for Mac on Mac
Doesn't make any sense I totally agree user. It's not like Windows did the same thing with UWP (basically creating a new ecosystem).

OpenGL is bloated legacy crap that needs to die and Vulkan is late to the party and more difficult to use than Metal.

The Mac's success doesn't hinge on a minority of manchildren who can't live without their Steam.

And all at once webdevs around the world screamed out in horror
>BUT HOW WILL I DEVELOP MY WEBAPPS NOW?1+1

>Apple does something
>Jow Forums hates it
>years pass
>Microsoft copies it
>Jow Forums raves

Like clockwork. Just watch.

>t. has never written anything in either
Vulkan is a faster more performant API but its a fucking nightmare compared to OpenGL, which is already a bit of a pain in the ass to work with. Theres a reason platforms like Unity or Unreal are so popular, they're convenient engine wrappers on top of OpenGL of which youre already using a wrapper even if youre using "direct" calls

>implying

Attached: 1528901610839.jpg (724x433, 107K)

>putting XP on a tablet

ok...

>putting phone OS on a tablet

ok...

>>Microsoft/Linux does something
>>iToddler hate it
>>years pass
>>Apple copies it
>>iToddlers rave and claim Apple did it first

Like clockwork.

Attached: 1517066162904.jpg (1170x1246, 327K)

It's interesting that games was where your mind went because I was thinking about open source programs in general. OpenGL and OpenCL are still actively being developed and Vulkan wont replace it. If you want to experience what life was like on MacOS before Steve Jobs returned, you're going to get your wish.

>implying they won't pick up Zen and then go full ARM in 2025

Microsoft's idea of a tablet is a bulky, battery-guzzling x86 Windows laptop with a pen used to control the mouse cursor and the keyboard removed.

The iPad was actually designed to be handheld and multitouch-driven with a long battery life, which is why it defined what everyone now recognizes as the tablet.

>not putting an OS designed for touch on a touchscreen

ok...

Makes little to no business sense given that they'd need to encourage developers to move to the new (guessing it'll be ARM-based) architecture

>lagPad

Attached: 1514833630362.webm (1280x546, 2.76M)

Adobe and Autodesk have been onboard with Metal for years now. Who's missing?

How does this even happen?

>putting an OS designed for technophobic manchildren scared of devices with more than one button on a computer

>4-5 year old ipad
>fill it up with shit
>have stuff running in the background
>record video you can meme with on Jow Forums

Buy the latest iProduct goyim.

Attached: 1523783464774.png (659x1921, 636K)

Mojave still supports OpenGL and OpenCL, but both are now officially deprecated. My guess is they'll be unsupported around 2021 or whenever the first ARM Macs are introduced.

>Adobe and Autodesk are open source
Enjoy having your wallet raped for every little pajeet program.

Braindead iToddlers take it up the ass and discover they enjoy it, and beg for more.

Attached: 1511329577436.png (1128x877, 110K)

It will be like the PPC -> x86 transition. Apple gave developers four years from the first Intel Macs until OS X became Intel-only with Snow Leopard. If you can't get your shit together by then, it's not Apple's problem.

>you're developing it wrong!
Mactoddlers everyone.

My mother dying isn't tech related desu

Attached: l7fniou4f7511.jpg (401x298, 18K)

>swift
approved

Attached: 00P0P_1c9ojocVzCc_1200x900.jpg (506x900, 33K)

Lol back to the dark ages

>sjwift

Attached: 1526614816501.jpg (2016x1210, 285K)

>ARM Windows is 100% a failure though yet again so it would interesting to see ARM OS X become successful.

Apple thrives on introducing new hardware and software that is quickly adopted by users and developers to their full potential. Backward compatibility has never held them back, unlike Microsoft, whose entire reason for existing is so that businesses can continue running 20-year-old Visual Basic programs whose source code was lost back in 2003.

>Windows XP shoehorned onto a stylus laptop with 1hr battery life
>iPad with purpose-built OS, intuitive touch interface, long battery life

Come on man, I'm not even an iBoi but you can't can claim that the only reason that people liked the iPad was because it was made by Apple.

The ABSOLUTE state of mactoddlers.

Attached: 1520807247267.png (704x817, 309K)

Ah, so a device that totes itself as having a six-core cpu and being the latest and greatest should slow to an absolute crawl when simply inputting text just because of "stuff running in the background." Let me open 400 browser tabs so I can experience this luxury of Apple products.

It’s either Apple somehow managed to get an x86 license or once again this is a half truth rumour. The half truth could be that a Apple is replacing all of their desktop line with AMD but I simply cannot see a world where in just two years after getting up on the stage saying they wouldn’t merge macOS and iOS, they do a 360 on that. It’s not in Apples nature to backtrack and as such I doubt this rumour means anything. Either that or Apple has some sort of god send emulator for x86 programs in macOS

>I'm so fucking lazy I can't be bothered to update my application in half a decade or more.

Microsoft and Adobe, everyone.

nothing you retard, not like they will create a ew architecture. they are just gonna go the easy route and make chips that are arm arch to save money and justify even less computer like laptops, i.e. probably getting rid of ports entirely, lol.

They could emulate x86 applications. That solution worked great for Apple during the transition from 68k to PPC (Mixed Mode Manager) and again from PPC to x86 (Rosetta). Sure emulation is slow but actively developed software is easy to recompile and Apple has never cared about supporting legacy software.

Moving the Mac to ARM doesn't mean that macOS and iOS are merging. They remain distinct environments for distinct form factors. The only difference is that Macs now run much quieter and cooler with better battery life.

Apple aren't even trying anymore tbhfam.

Attached: 1508651275433.jpg (1500x1180, 289K)

Attached: is61rvauyth01.jpg (2048x1536, 375K)

How will mactoddlers ever recover?

Attached: 1503875446279.png (313x84, 29K)