Is there an alternate that still has great compatibility...

Is there an alternate that still has great compatibility? I want to switch to Linux but I can't because I have to use MS office for my College Assignments

Attached: boi.jpg (1280x720, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

office.com/
abisource.com/
gnumeric.org/
inkscape.org/en/
staroffice.com/get.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Libre Office

Attached: 1510774915476.png (407x434, 125K)

Just use google docs, I never had issues with it.
Literally everyone uses it at my college.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaha

>college
>still using Office
grow up kid you are not in middle school anymore.

truthful answer: not really. openoffice and libreoffice suck imho. i'd say the best option is to try and stay with office even if you're on a linux system -- it's possible.

most of the writing i do now, i typeset in TeX using vim-latex and render it in Skim, but of course the boss still insists on emailing back and forth .docx files. so i need office. on my personal laptop I have macOS and a free Office license, so fine.

when I work on my FreeBSD machine, though, i avoid it. if i absolutely had to do it, i would probably try out office.com/ which has basically all the office apps as webapps. i've heard some people say it's possible to get office working in wine, but i hate wine. so maybe if you really needed true office to run on your linux box, you could (if you had a license) run a windows VM. VMs are tolerable nowadays; I have a few friends who use windows (eek) and used to use putty/cygwin to do their ssh'ing and unix-type computing, but abandoned those shitshows by running a ubuntu or centos VM in VMware or virtualbox, and they all rave about how great it works for them. so you could flip that and run windows in a VM in linux perhaps

you can use office 365 from any web browser.

The new office is electron based, so it is basically the same shit that the windows users get.

this or create a windows vm in virtualbox and install office on it. you can use windows 10 for free. that's how i do it.

nigga I have word 2010 and powerpoint right here on my xubuntu desktop. I double click on one of them and it opens. What's the problem exactly?

if you really can't get off MS dick you can use FreeOffice, it has the best compatibility with Office crap.

this desu senpai

>WXOP
Oh, hey, Mic! Nothing new. Wassop?

>most of the writing i do now, i typeset in TeX using vim-latex and render it in Skim, but of course the boss still insists on emailing back and forth .docx files.

i respect this level of freetard autism

use whatever, then export to pdf, you doublenigger mongoloid

Google docs is fine for typing short papers or letters but it's definitely not a replacement for real office work. However at that point you can either afford $60 a year for MS Office or work will give it to you.

My work is all about pivot tables. Would a heavy loaded pivot table work without fuss in a vm? I mean, does office run without crashing while in a virtual machine? I've read it crashes constantly on wine and also I would need to run Excel 2016 at the least.

Just run Office in Wine or make a virtual machine.

Not a chance sempai.

yeah, they rewrote the 2,4GB 30-year old entire office suite into JavaScript. Totally.

Tell me, how is it to be so dumb and live? Do you understand traffic lights? Know how to tie your shoes? Can you use a fork without hurting yourself?

>office is electron based
People are still saying this shit? The guy clarified it wasn't.

>electron based
>same shit as windows

Attached: brainlet-bottomless.jpg (645x729, 81K)

Office (latest versions) just suck period. "oh a new interface and more shit offloaded to the cloud" is about all that happens anymore. That and somehow with all that "offloading" the install size grows larger with every release.

>oh a new interface

Switch. You can use Office online if you must. Portal.office.com then just use libreoffice when you can on your system.

Just use LibreOffice or OpenOffice.
>free
>no botnet
>it just werks

What are you on about? The ribbon interface has been a thing for literally over a decade.

Just what do you need it to do? Access databases? Pivot tables?
If you're just writing typical 5 page papers for class or organizing shit on a spreadsheet, Libreoffice works just fine. Or even Google docs.
At worst, if you're given Powerpoint files, Libre may choke on the animations when you try to view. Word files you import may have fucked up rendering too, but no big deal if you're just reading stuff.

Attached: ppra.jpg (1280x738, 116K)

LibreOffice, OnlyOffice. LO has an amazing compatibility despite what autists say.
If you don't care about proprietary software then WPS. The Linux version, unlike Windows and Mac, doesn't have ads.

That college is stupid, sick, and submissive. Find a better community.

>Chinese trash.
What.

>chinese trash is worse than american trash
What.

WPS Office is the only decent choice

*.docx is pretty compatible, while *.doc is not.

My school provides Office265 for all students, and the Office webapps are actually really good. That may be worth looking into.

Besides that, you might also want to try iWork in iCloud. All you need is an Apple ID, which you can set up with any reasonably modern Apple device... you may not even need an apple device, I'm not entirely sure.

iwork in icloud webapp works just as well as Office365 webapps, just with less functionality at the same functionality ration between desktop Office and desktop iWork.

I personally use Office webapps as my primary office software, the advantage is cloud saving and cross platform. I use Office webapps in linux all the time. It's awesome.

>webapps as my primary office software

fuckin neets

Do you have a point?

Yes.

Not a NEET and we don't touch MS word

What is it?

This is so stupid. The corporate (((Microsoft))) brainwashing is so strong, that people genuinely believe there is no decent alternative to MS Office, despite Libre doing basically everything it does except for a few extremely specific features you don't use anyways, and you can install it without the hassle of a subscription or pirating.

Consumerist sheep I fucking swear. I don't ever wanna hear you faggots talk shit about macfags again

>wants bloated and ancient software
>calls others stupid
Stick the fork up your ass.

Why would you gimp yourself using shitty and slower webapps when all of your so called benefits can be replicated with either actual installed Office or LO?

It's not just consumerist sheep, there are actual pajeet shill teams here

Attached: pajeet.jpg (1853x1000, 325K)

This
When it comes to writing docs with my peers I just make a public office doc

I came to save you
abisource.com/

Attached: 2018-06-29 20_42_35-AbiWord.png (1315x600, 100K)

seconding abiword is pretty solid

libreoffice or openoffice also work for most things unless you need Office specific features or unless you need Visio. Visio is way better than that shite LibreOffice has.

all of reality above the atomic level is electron based imo

I use it for convenience, and don't find it "shitty" or noticably slower.

>"shitty" or noticably slower.
I had to use them for 2 weeks any they certainly were for me. Its very noticeable if you've always used the client.

gnumeric.org/
inkscape.org/en/

staroffice.com/get.php
Never try it but it's another option

My office (which is just a small IT business, admittedly) has more or less completely shifted everything to Google Docs. It works surprisingly well.

Just don't use libreoffice in any case.

Same desu, we have the Office suite available if we need it but most of our document creation and storage is done through the Google Apps suite these days, makes collaborating extremely easy.

Libre Office for open formats.
Softmaker FreeOffice for MS formats (docx, pptx etc.)

Doesn't surprise me .doc was always shit even in Office.

topkek

Wish we had that luxury. Problem is when you start hitting medium size business (200+ employees) Office 365 just becomes too convenient with distributed email management and Windows integration with AzureAD to manage offsite computers and logins.