/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: title2_protest-boston-11-17.png.jpg (4559x3020, 851K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/rewards-of-up-to-500-000-offered-for-freebsd-openbsd-netbsd-linux-zero-days/
youtu.be/2Ex51kc3pOs?t=1247
prahladyeri.com/blog/2018/06/why-gpl-isnt-working-the-freedom-vs-convenience-debate.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Install pentoo

To parabola guy. Good luck

Which distro should I pick next?

>void
>guixsd
>alpine

How the everliving FUCK do I make MPV run its playlist in reverse?
I can't even get the fucking thing to load a playlist I made of full pathnames sorted in reverse, it just bitches that it cant understand the format of the text file (its a fucking text file)
--reverse isnt a thing, nor is --playlist-reverse, why the fucking shitcunt is this not a builtin function?

guixSD

cheers user, ta muchly

Thanks Jow Forumsuy

Virtualbox refuses to start.This i the error. I have libxkbcommon libxkbcommon-x11 installed.Reinstalling those and virtualbox did not fix the problem. What else could cause this?
Qt FATAL: This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, xcb

Anything but Void.

>makes playlist
>dosent want to play playlist in the playlist order
>complains when program wont play a playlist playlist backwards

>unironicaly considering Alpine
The ugly fruit of the minimalism threads.

So, GuixSD then?

I literally made the playlist, sorted it into the order I wanted, but when I try to open the fucking playlist I get
>failed to recognize file format
And its not the files, mpv * runs all of them perfectly fine but I need to run them in *reverse*

lol bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/rewards-of-up-to-500-000-offered-for-freebsd-openbsd-netbsd-linux-zero-days/

alpine, maybe crux.

Also don't be an asinine cockfuck, there are perfectly valid reasons to occasionally need to use a playlist in reverse order and no, the answer is not "WELL Y DUN U JUZT MAEK NEW PLAYLIZT" because that's a stupid answer and you know it, this is a single loop that should be embedded into the program itself

Install Source Mage GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1526702776937.png (602x500, 27K)

tac

Did you try reading the manual?

ls *.mp3 > playlist.m3u

ls -r *.mp3 > playlist.m3u

mpv --playlist=playlist.m3u

Thou shalt not rely on the output of ls.

What do you do while compiling?

Attached: 1423451608249.jpg (1024x768, 644K)

Read Foucault.

>compiling
DYEL(isp)?

reminds me that gnu fags refuse to add a -z --null option to ls even though fearures like -t are actually useful. comparable implementation of ls -t span like 3-4 process pipeline.

so I got bspwm to work perfectly, and I'm loving it so far, but one thing is bugging me. when using wine programs, the dropdown menus come up in the middle of the screen, and move away once i move my mouse. This is regardless of the mode i'm in, because if i'm in any mode that's not tiling, the program will return back to tiling mode anyway and commit the same problem. Any way i can fix this that is not "just use something else?"

All GuixSD shills to the gas chamber

>compiling
Incel

GuixSD

refer to

Why? is that bad?

Sheep
Retard
Faggot

Thanks captain obvious.
*thumbs up*

Void currently has serious problems. Leader disappeared, people try to get things running.
That said, why even void? The logo?

youtu.be/2Ex51kc3pOs?t=1247
>"The more things that are created by companies the more likely they are not completely under the control of the person who is implanted in"
>"I believe in the idea of body sovereignty, whatever is inside your body should be completely under your control"
>"I would feel violated if someone out there could control the implants inside me"
All hail the Stallman of transhumanism!

Fuck proprietary garbage. GNU transhumanism for the masses!

Attached: leph anonym for president.png (1296x849, 448K)

It's sad that the man who is actually worth it spearing his genes doesn't want to reproduce. What if stallman is gone?

How to meditate?

Then it's up to us. No GNU/Dad somewhere hanging around, spreading freedom, protecting us. Then we must be adults, take responsibility about our freedoms and the future of our children

Attached: 1529651484977.png (392x309, 180K)

I've read some pretty depressing thing on reddit today. Please cheer me up.
prahladyeri.com/blog/2018/06/why-gpl-isnt-working-the-freedom-vs-convenience-debate.html

Doesn't say anything that can't be refuted. I wouldn't concern.

>on reddit
me too, www lad

Attached: 1530329101763.png (773x243, 39K)

He's not a DNA fisherman, user.

that's actually true and actually depressing
feel free to debunk ITT

Is sad but we have to keep on with the torch of freedom passing from hand to hand.

gentoo btfo
more like imavirgintoo

a shame you seemed an honest man

KILL IT BEFORE IT BREEDS.

Seriously. This is not scientific. This is mental illness. Nothing of what they do will benefit the human race at all.

My tablet (wacom intuos) doesnt show up under the graphics tablet applet but it does show up with

xsetwacom --list devices
Wacom Intuos S 2 Pen stylus id: 12 type: STYLUS
Wacom Intuos S 2 Pad pad id: 13 type: PAD

Ive found a fix pertaining to mint where you essentially just download the ubuntu versions of libwacom2 and libwacom-common so i tried downloading the latest releases on debian but theyre already installed, and obviously i dont want to use the ubuntu packages as that will end up breaking shit if i try to autoupdate. any ideas on fixes?

Login in using bspwm mostly works but I'm pretty sure I severely broke my Linux installation. I can no longer log in using my Mate DE.

Here's what happened. I kept getting authentication failed when running pamac-manager in bspwm. Turns out I needed polkit and gnome stuff going for it. No problem, I look at startup commands involving those for MATE and just copy them into my ~/.config/bspwm/autostart

/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=pkcs11
/usr/lib/mate-polkit/polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1
/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=secrets
/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=ssh

Nope, broke the shit. Starting MATE gives me an error saying "Could not connect to session bus:failed to connect to socket /run/user/1000/bus:Connection refused."

I removed the line but it didn't fix itself. Anyone know how to fix this?

hey wines actually pretty easy to use for my eroges. but some of them that have crack patches dont really work well

kys corporate shill

If I attempt a kernel upgrade is there a high chance things will fuck up? Is it only drivers you need to worry about?

If i have a server and want multiple webservices running on it (each may require their own db, dependencies etc.), should I make a new user for each one? What about apache, I don't have a choice but to run only one instance right?

could you not run them as separate instances using containers or just run a headless xen setup?

Gimp is by far the shittiest program you can install and pretend it works.

Fucking selection tool just stops working.
Fucking hotkeys just stop working all of a sudden.

Fucking layer functions are FUBAR

JUST FCKING RIP OFF PHOTOSHOP RETARDS

ITS SO EASY

YOU JUST COPY 1:1 PHOTOSHOP

YET YOU FUCKING IDIOTS CANT DO IT!=!=

i think theres a plugin / theme that makes it nearly identical to photoshop. also i just use krita most of the time. its a real shame that gimp and gnome in general is run by such retards.

Thanks, I try to look for the plugin

Unless you're using an experimental kernel, or a very shitty distro, there shouldn't be any problem.
Most distros keep. The old kernel for security reasons tough, so you should be fine.

You can always make your own photoshop clone, user, it's fucking easy.

if I wasn't a brainlet I would literally copy the user interface, user experience and the general logic of how everything works.

but I'm a brainlet venting my frustration.

Attached: Dg5wup0WsAAkhbe.jpg (640x458, 33K)

I wanna use a more secure anonymous distro.
>Ubuntu
>Debian
>mint
>lubuntu
I've already used.

Thought about Gentoo but after the last days I would rather not. Already have Tails on my USB.
Should I install Qubes OS on my Debian?
Any other more secure and anonymous distros you can recommend?

Windows 10

HAHA THANK YOU APPLE GENIUS!!!!

>y u no do dis IS FUCKING EASY
>if it's easy then you do it
>n-no i can't do it, it's too h-hard for me

Attached: 1512149148593_1.jpg (477x565, 34K)

It's easy if you are a fucking code monkey to not make fucking backwards ass logic to layers, literally if you do it just do it like in photoshop.

AND WHY DO MY HOTKEYS GET DISABLED IN GIMP WHAT THE FUCK

WHY ARE MY MENUS GRAY'D OUT !?!??!?!

>Any other more secure and anonymous distros you can recommend?
wiki.installgentoo.com lists subgraph os in addition to ones you already mentioned (and whonix which is meant to be ran in a virtual machine) but qubes looks better to me

I've never been able to get into linux, but now that windows 7 is going to be unusuable soon, what distro should i use??

debian

debian

I was just looking at debian what the fuck

debians the only good distro really. i mean i needed to learn a little bit of stuff to be independent from a lot of guides. but in saying that i use debian daily, if it wasnt for not wanting steam installed on my debian machine (since stuff like vac is essentially malware) i wouldnt use windows at all. everything i really want is on this distro and is so easy to use and supported. then for most windows programmed you have wine which is often just typing wine setup.exe in terminal. also in some cases wine beats windows for .exe performance which is oh so funny

help

i remember having issues using debian 9 when it was first released (installing things from apt/compiling things like woeusb) are all those fixed, if so i'll probably use it

idk what issues youre having. works for me tm

Does anyone here knows how to fix this expresion?
pacmd list-sinks | awk '/* index:/ {print $3}'
it says awk: line 1: syntax error at or near *
I got this in some .sh file for polybar config from bspwm and polybar setup guide

HOW THE FUCK CAN I GET DOG SHIT PROGRAMS FUCKING HOTKEYS WORK FUCK GIMOP

stop complaining about gimp lmao, the one feature gimp actually has going for it is the scripting is pretty top tier. like ps should steal it

my fucking HTOKEYS DONT FUCKING WORK

MY FUCKING MENUS ARE GRAY
W
HATT HE FUCK CIS GOIGN GUFKCFF FUFUCKCK

HAHA XD RIGHT CLICK MENU DOESNT WORK FUCKING EPIC BROS

Did you even open an image?
Is it grayed out you arent doing something right or meeting the proper requirements to use that tool

xd cant do anything xddd
menus are gray
right click doesnt work
hotkeys are disabled
restart wont fix

fucking sic

i opened image i started it again

no, every menu option that I CAN USE is GRAY, every menu option I CANT USE looks like 'normal'.

Attached: file.png (256x256, 57K)

You're lying

hah i'd take screenshot but screenshot is currently broken in my Ubuntu

scrot -s

press print screen you retard. no way its broken

Uh, yeah it is broken.
Print Screen button does absolutely nothing kek.

scrot you fucking technologically inept fantastically retarded motherfucker

im not instaling some random progran named after scrotum

debian or a debian based distro, they have the most support

Grey menu buttons = work.
Normal looking ones = don't.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (453x1050, 203K)

sudo apt-get install pinta

[spoiler]it was even worse than GIMPED[/spoiler]

what did they do to the tor browser.. its really slow or unresponsive for a minute after starting it but then it starts working normally. i dont have this issue with normal firefox.

>poo in loo

Sit and do nothing. Much like you do everyday, just without the shitposting.

sudo apt-get install imagemagick

It's libre software, it's a super easy fix, do it yourself, you're not a retard, right?
I mean, you wouldn't rant about something, demanding a modification, saying that it's simple and easy to fix, without being able to do it yourself, right?

Yes I would, what the fuck is wrong with you, I just did.