Why would you use anything other than vim or emacs?

They're the most powerful editors available today and support the widest range of platforms. They're very extensible and can usurp IDEs if you configure them suitably. They are both keyboard-based so you can edit much faster with them than any mouse-oriented environment. They're also fast and unbloated. No telemetry either. Free too. I can't see a reason not to use them.

Attached: emacs-vs-vim2.jpg (569x400, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitch.tv/naysayer88
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Blow
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

nvi because it starts more quickly and doesn't impact the system as much as vim.

Because I don't want to memorise a million key commands to do basic text editing.

Do you still hunt and peck when typing?

Yeah, unless you learn one of these when you are young and naive, I don't think they make much sense.

I tend to look at the keyboard.

it took me two days to become familiar enough with vim that the basic commands became reflexive
kill yourself

vim:
>w: move forward a Word
>dw: Delete Word
>bw: move Backward a Word
>b2w: move Backward 2 Words
totally incomprehensible right guys??

More often than not you'll type in : to do an ex/ed command.

Actually the commands are
>w: move forward a word
>dw: delete a word in the forward direction
>b: move backward a word
>db: delete a word in the backward direction
>2b: move backward 2 words

Well fuck. I've been using emacs too long, my vim knowledge is rusty. Thanks for the correction.

Emacs has org-mode.

emacs is horseshit praised for memes and to fit in with the lisp community, vim is better in every way

Yeah dude. Kill yourself for not liking the program that this guy likes.

>vim is better in every way
Vim is just a bloated vi

no, kill yourself for thinking it is in any way hard to become familiar enough with these programs that it begins to pay off

and emacs is a bloated operating system

Kill yourself for thinking if it took 2 days for you to become familiar with Vim so it should take around that time for every single person on the planet

vim's ui is autistic af

vi is just a bloated ed

>No multicursor functionality out of the box

Dropped

1. Assume that Vim is better than Emacs in every way.
2. Emacs can emulate Vim.
3. Given 1 and 2, Emacs is better than Emacs in every way.
4. By contradiction, 1 is false.
QED

Maybe they're an enterprise slave working on a 10 million sloc pajeet eldritch abomination

>2. Emacs can emulate Vim.
and is far more bloated than vim so your logic is shit
see me after class

if it takes you longer then kill yourself to spare the gene pool from your retardation

>needing a UI to edit text
hello, pajeet

>1. Assume that a gameboy is better than a desktop computer in every way.
>2. a desktop computer can emulate a gameboy.
>3. Given 1 and 2, a desktop computer is better than a desktop computer in every way.
>4. By contradiction, 1 is false.
someone failed remedial Discrete Math in undergrad

Just let them die already
It's not 1995 anymore
Fuck off gramps

Agreed

Here's some reason:
> there are more optimized modal editing schemes than the one of vim (see kakoune) if you fall for the modal psychological trap
> there are things better at loading big files as well as other technical implementation details, in fact many linux based open source editors are surprisingly bad at this
> once you customize them they are no longer bloat free, that should teach you to make a shitty scripting language the single mean of extension and configuration
> still worse at editing Java, C# and other non-memes than even Eclipse
> As an emacs user, I can tell you that it comes with shit tier defaults, just like everything GNU. Additionally, configuring emacs is extra-painful, because things are named in retarded ways and default addon server sucks.

Also
>mouse-oriented environment
Doesn't exist. Even with VS you can bind everything to a keyshort.

That's not a reason to not use it, though. That's its redeeming feature.

Other valid reasons:

No vim because Colemak

No emacs because I'm too lazy for it

micro for the above reasons

Love emacs because M-x tetris exists
Hate emacs because M-x tetris exists

What do you use then?

vim has no games

Incorrect.
There are dozens.

Why would anyone use anything other than emacs for anything save perhaps for browsing?

Emacs. Every great professional programmer that I see on Twitch uses Emacs.

No one uses vim.

whoa. url?

should i use emacs with a gui or just cli?
which one will give me the best expeience?

here: twitch.tv/naysayer88

guy in question: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Blow

Disgusting. Thank you.

>Disgusting
wat

gui, because copying and pasting from the system buffer will be easier
you can disable all the gui elements like title bar if you want

>once you customize them they are no longer bloat free
you don't know what bloat is and your whole post reads like terrible bait

>have computer more powerful than any 90s supercomputer
>worry about vi taking 4Mb of core
LOL here’s a nickel kid, buy some kilobytes of ram.

Who the fuck still hasn't moved to VS Code in 2018?

Pretty much everyone who's been programming for more than a handful of years

Good evening, Pajeet

I used to think this, but think again kid, emacs has server/daemon mode, one process, multiple clients, this shits all over vim, whenever.

i like vs code but i still use notepad++ and nano more.

i am starting to think it's time to learn vi/m, by the way.

People say "this editor takes too long to learn, just let me have notepad/nano", but what they temporarily gain in initially not having to learn new things they lose when the more complicated editors out perform them
focusing on the present over the future isn't always a good plan, you need the discipline to be able to think ahead

Attached: 2000px-EmacsIcon.svg.png (2000x2000, 371K)

how would I go about setting up vim to compile latex on the fly?

I am a pretty advanced vim user and sorry but emacs takes too long to learn. I get the benefits it's just shit that I will need 10,000 lines of configuration to make a text editor usable.

I want to like emacs, I really do. It just takes forever for me to do anything productive so I just give up and try again in a few months.

autocmd BufWritePost * !pdflatex expand('%:p')

VS code is for projects. I use vim when i'm traveling in and out of files/dirs and when ssh'd.

wow it only took 42 years for emacs to natively support line numbers without lag

>need 10,000 lines of configuration to make a text editor usable
You're really over exaggerating how much configuration it takes. I agree that it's tough starting out, since things aren't the way you have them set up in your vim configuration. You just have to stick with it. The configuration that I use now is actually my 3rd try at moving from vim to emacs. On the way you'll also find new things about emacs that make you say "wow why didn't I think of that".

Attached: 1506972064695.jpg (1296x2048, 1M)

saved, will try when I get home

Sorry it should say *.tex instead of *

Kill yourself for thinking that you can dictate the ideal time for anything to anyone.

bb-but visual studio code just werks™

because vim and emacs don't understand code, they are just text editors. try some jetbrains ides and you will probably not go back.. (i still use the vim keybindings though)

Oh so surely it's:
>c: copy
>r: replace
>e: exit
>a: select all
>x: cut
right my dude??

>>c: copy
y: yank
>>r: replace
correct

>>e: exit
:q for quit

>>a: select all
ggVG
gg: move to the top
V: start selecting
G: move to the bottom

>>x: cut
yep

Visual Studio with some proprietary plugins still provides advantage in basic code editing. When creating large programs, features such as "jump to definition" or solution wide context-sensitive renaming are a godsend. I could not consider doing my daily work in text editor only.

That said, I still us Vim all the time anyway because I also program outside Windows.

>c: copy

c is change like cw change word - deletes word and puts you in insert mode

>r: replace

yes

>e: exit

e is for end, it moves you to the end of the word

>a: select all

a is for append, it enters insert mode after the current letter

>x: cut

yea pretty much