/wt/ - Watch Thread: Aspirations Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=m986siwzefs

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

> Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

Old bread:

Attached: breit.jpg (1200x1200, 668K)

>hey a reasonably priced tudor submariner
>it's from the 1960's
not sure if want.

Attached: 7928.jpg (978x803, 224K)

>All these inferior "luxury" dive watches shitting up the thread
Time to raise the bar a little you fucking heathens.

Attached: 654ersg65s4dgf65ds41fg6d.jpg (1918x1512, 846K)

Myself and bead are sorry, okay? We never meant to hurt anyone.

Are we forgiven?

Attached: IMG_5961.jpg (3264x2448, 949K)

All my /wt/ frens hate me.

Attached: 1528597071133.png (656x755, 39K)

what is an upgrade to the seiko 5 SNZH57? looking for similar aesthetics and under 500 obesity bucks

What do you think about owning watches that are disproportionate with one's net worth/salary/economical class in the society? For example, when seeing someone in the working class that isn't worth much more than his car and the furniture inside his rental apartment wearing a 40k patek watch, do you find that weird?

Building on my question: how would you (roughly) classify what kind of price range on watches is fitting to each of these following social classes?

>Higher managerial, administrative
>Intermediate managerial, administrative or professional
>Supervisory or clerical and junior managerial, administrative or professional
>Skilled manual workers
>Semi and unskilled manual workers
>Casual or lowest grade workers, pensioners and others who depend on the state for their income

maybe this

Attached: Seiko-Prospex-Samurai-Diver-SRPB55K1-1-1.jpg (2100x1402, 283K)

I like it except for the bracelet, does this make me gay?

probably. The other color versions have the metal bracelet fwiw

but I like that color the most

paid my taxes boys fedex on the WAY

Attached: 1438832622420.jpg (305x350, 25K)

>tips fedora*

All of my frens really do hate me.

How could my life come to this?

Attached: 1517711343763.jpg (720x762, 34K)

One days wage is the only rational price to pay these days.

How could this happen?

Attached: carly.png (1127x685, 37K)

Why one day?
Seems a bit small. That would mean that you'd have to make 1.2 million dollars a year just to wear a speedy.

That's what I see on most peoples wrists, most normies wear watches from the range of 50 to 200 bucks and only rolexes i've seen have been on the wrists of some semi successful entrepreneurs or doctors.

Watches used to be more exclusive before quartz and the more further you go in time and people were willing to spend more money back then.

How could everyone I ever loved learn to hate me? What did I do wrong?

Attached: 1496489455527.jpg (619x453, 28K)

normies spend at least a day's wage on drinking and fast food every week though so I think I'm fine with the way I use my disposable income

Nothing wrong with spending as much as you want to your hobbies, but some guidelines should be remembered.
Can't put a certain limit what a watch collector / enthusiast should pay for a watch though.

Bead, myself and the other people on the ward are signing a pact, we will never come back to /wt/.

Attached: 1489037555575.png (655x509, 28K)

I just think of it in terms of time. If I'm going to spend $1000 on a watch, I should buy it with 10x less frequency than a $100 watch. I don't want to have heaps of them anyway, I'd rather spend a little more on something I intend to keep around for years. That's the other thing, I don't replace my things every year, I repair or upgrade them wherever possible and try not to lean toward mass consumption

Doctors with $1.2 million/year salaries?
I agree that normies tend to wear watches that are less expensive, I wouldn't say one day's salary, perhaps one week's salary I'd say. Typically here people with a normal amount of money wear watches between 200-500 usd.

However, my question isn't exactly aimed toward what normies tend to spend, but rather to figure out where the limit goes, like wearing a watch that is obviously "above your station" so to speak, in a way that it looks odd, or people will start thinking "why is HE wearing a watch like that?"

Why don't manufacturers still use bead of rice bulbs as backlights? Then the watch could use 1.5V batteries instead of 3V lithium ones.

Attached: 20180629_154844.jpg (4160x2340, 2.86M)

I once read an article about how luxury Seikos were once segmented
Lord Seikos would be for the average salaryman, King Seikos would be for their managers, and Grand Seikos would be for the big bosses, and to wear something outside your station would be disrespectful

These days I doubt the distinction matters, if a person wants to buy an expensive watch let them buy it, as long as its not something stupid like going into debt to buy it

>Lord Seikos would be for the average salaryman, King Seikos would be for their managers, and Grand Seikos would be for the big bosses, and to wear something outside your station would be disrespectful

Sounds so fucking Japanese I have no other option but to believe it is true.

Starting off with some e-peen showing

Attached: F36B97BD-EB39-46DC-9C10-E364258E1C90.jpg (1617x2046, 556K)

I think the distinction matters in a social aspect, but not in a disrespectful way or anything like what those japs were doing (lmao). Don't get me wrong, I think people should spend their money the way they want. At the same time I think there is to be expected that people will think it looks weird that someone with a lower salary wears a rolex, don't you think? People will, either keeping the thought to themselves or ask the person why he's spending so much on a watch, because that's a lot of money for that person, seeing that he's not that well-off. When a rich person wears a patek then nobody thinks it's weird because it's expected. I'm just pondering where these limits goes. I don't necessarily think that there is a firm rule that can answer exactly, but it's interesting.

"I like watches, its a hobby of mine"

Reposting my freshly made autism shelf.
Rate.

Attached: shelf1.jpg (3896x2672, 2.44M)

this is the fabled autism shelf? I didn't piss my pants as promised, it looks sorta normal

Just wait until I put my vintage digitals and slavshit in it.

Wires for lights run through the back? It looks nice.

Obviously you'd say that. I'm not stating it's a huge problem. Just noting that these notions are there, and I'm pondering where the limit goes before someone usually starts thinking like that.

I feel like if you are spending 1k or 2k, you'll get away with it even if you are a low-salary person, but if you start reaching the 4k or 5k mark as a working class person, then people will start raising their eyebrows. If you are a middle class with a decent salary, for example 40-50k a year, then I think you can get away with those entry level luxury watches in the 3-5k price ranges without looking like a tool, for example buying a cool omega that you love, like the seamaster or speedmaster. You'd still have to explain that you're quite interested in watches and this particular piece though expensive is something of a dream of yours to have. If you go with a rolex or even higher and you're just a middle class man though, then I think people will think of you as a moron. Kinda like what Archie on youtube. Quite a silly person.

Of course, these are the notions that one would face, but it's always up to you to spend your money on what you want, am I right? If you always wanted a rolex then who are they to say what you should and shouldn't buy?

Yeah, all wires except the small ones from the leds and the main power lead are hidden.

Attached: IMG_20180630_122408.jpg (1500x2000, 1.01M)

It's pretty cool.

Thank you user.

I'll add a question, do you have any analogue watches too?

Yeah I do, but they aren't with me currently.

Here's the new watch I bought this evening online, faggots. If you only know low end watch brands, let me dumb it down for you. This is called a Rolex Presidential worth an amusing $40,000.
I never use cheap watches like working class faggots who act rich and use trash tier brands like Seiko and Citizen. Money isn't a problem, but that's not something you can understand. Your overworked palms are too dirty to even be near expensive things.
To you middle class peasants who barely scrape by on bad credit, have fun dying early. I'll retire around the same time you're buried. This watch easily costs more than the shitty cars you drive, if you even own one.
AMA. If you are extra kind, perhaps I'll give you some life tips to be rich as I am. Just maybe you can luckily work for me some day, if you get up the ranks. Maybe serve me a glass of four figure priced wine.

Attached: ROLEX PRESIDENTIAL.jpg (1000x671, 485K)

It's shit.

t. rolex enthusiast

Anything else with this kind of dial, apart from the Pope Casio?

Preferably HAQ or mech. chronometer.

Attached: scxp041.jpg (1200x1200, 364K)

based

Anyone got a watch that's absolutely overkill with the amount of dials and thingys?

If someone came with this speech I'd barely listen because I'd be busy staring at how awful the watch looks on a man's wrist. I certainly hope nobody would ever buy diamond-watches. If the speech were about pic related, then I would be jelly as fuck.

Attached: PP Grandmaster Chime Ref. 6300.jpg (1000x1333, 180K)

Junghans perhaps?

Like a chronograph with a moonphase? Or do you mean like one of those crazy diesel watches?

Anything that is just over the top and stupid to look at that any normie wouldn't be able to even tell the time on it

>explaining yourself to normies
>feeling the need to explain yourself at all
work on your self-esteem

Looks great. Well done user.

Regardless of whether you feel like explaining yourself or not, the notions are there. Where do you think the limits are? Do you agree with my impressions on who can pull off what?

Well, ok. I will come back with you shortly with something that I have found. Hold on.

Attached: patek complications pocket.jpg (1500x1000, 211K)

First, I'll check if the diesel shitters are enough for you.

Attached: diesel-gunmetal-dz-7314-only-the-brave-watch-16151542-0-1.jpg (807x960, 89K)

how dare you

Attached: audemar piguet diamond outrage.jpg (796x797, 137K)

I've seen stuff by them before, they're kinda what I was thinking. Surely it doesn't get much worse than this though right?

You have my most humble thanks.

I absolutely do not. People have various habits and various ways of spending their disposable income. Spinning rims and ghetto blasters while living in Section 8. One hand crafted Italian suit and no car. Hundreds of sneakers while an assistant manager at a retail shop.
Luxury items are just that - luxury. Anyone who buys one is 'wasting' their money which could be spent better somewhere else. Regardless whether you make $30k or $30mil a year spending tens of thousands of dollars on a watch is a personal decision to buy luxury rather than something more reasonable or useful.
Maybe a guy really likes watches so he saves and saves and gets the one he wants. You seem to be stuck in an archaic class mindset where only X exist for Y and only W for Z. Anyone who really treasures something is able to purchase it should they opt to do so. Whether that be a jacket, a hat, a watch, a car, or anything else, it is entirely up to them and speaks to what they value.

Not that I know of.
I'm sure you can find something more crazy tho. But these are cheap, so you don't have to spend a lot of money just to trigger some normie autism.

Are you saying people don't think like that, or are you stating that you don't think like that? I'm not disagreeing with your statement, nor trying to make a statement on my own that I stand behind. I'm trying to ask whether you agree that those are the notions that goes through people's heads. I'm pondering what people typically would get away with before normies start thinking it looks weird.

Furthermore what do you care about the notions of others? Maybe they have notions about your expensive watch, maybe they have notions about your cheap watch, maybe they have notions about your mid-range watch. What does it matter what they think? Why do you care what others think? Do you buy watches with the intention of sending a certain message to other people? That speaks volumes about you, not them. Of course a tacky swatch would be out of place in a boardroom but for daily activities the fact that you wear a watch at all says more about you than the watch itself.

Like I said here I'm merely pondering what people tend to think about the disproportions of an expensive watch and a person that is "below its class". Not stating a concern about what people might think about me personally or my personal watches. Do you understand what I'm trying to say, or am I doing a poor job conveying what I mean?

Some people might have those notions but the vast majority will not. Most people won't even notice that you have a watch on. Of the rest maybe 10%, and that is being generous, will know or care about the brand. Of them an even smaller number will judge you for wearing something they presume to be out of your league. Are you really that concerned with what a small number of people may potentially think?
What if the watch was passed down from your grandfather? Is it wrong to wear it if you don't make as much money as he did? Who exactly is judging you for wearing your grandfather's watch? What exactly are their 'notions'?
>that watch is worth $X and I assume he only has $Y therefore.....
what?

The number of people who know
>the disproportions of an expensive watch
is small, the number who go on to think a person is
>below its class
is even smaller, virtually non-existent. Why should one care about the opinion of someone who judges others in that fashion?

I'm sure your hypothetical person exists, with 7 billion and counting all kinds do. The odds of running into them are staggering. Here is a short list of things people (do not) care about, in order from greatest number to least
>that you wear a watch
power gap
>how your watch looks
power gap
>the brand
>how much it costs
>how you personally could afford it
>the complications
>the movement
arguably affordability might even be lower. You have it, you are wearing it, how that came to be is not really any of their concern and most won't concern themselves with it.

I imagine there are tons of meaningful reasons to wear a watch "above your station", for example the inherited watch like you talk about. It's intersting that you think nobody or few will notice. To some extent I agree that not everyone will look at what's on a person's wrist. So imagine you wear an expensive breguet then chances are they just see a nice watch, but they have no idea what it is unless they are somewhat interested in watches. But if it's one of those instantly recognizable watches like a Rolex, then everyone in the room sees it whenever they look at your wrist. At this point I believe that the notions are already there. First thing they think might be that it's a crazy expensive watch. Then it follows that they'll assume you have a lot of money, or alternatively that it might be a fake becaue you don't come off as someone with a lot of money (or perhaps they know you alredy to not have a lot of money). If we imagine it's clear to everyone that you are a middle class person with no inheritance or natural reasons to have more money, and you're wearing a 10k rolex then I think most will actually think it's a bit odd. Initially they will wonder what you're doing with that watch; did you inherit it? Did you really pay all that money on it? Can you afford buying watches like that? And so on. This is only natural, I assume most normie people will react this way honestly. To varying degrees of course.

I see that you think that few or no people at all will think like that, I will have to strongly disagree. I believe most people will, given that they have the informaton about you and your "worth", and the price of that watch in their head.

>But if it's one of those instantly recognizable watches like a Rolex, then everyone in the room sees it whenever they look at your wrist.
I doubt 1% of people could differentiate a rolex from any random cheap diver without examining it closely enough to see "rolex" written on the dial

Shit, I just learned about this Type II movement, and now I WANT IT. I swore no more watches after getting my vintage Omega Semenmaster.

Attached: seiko_4623.jpg (800x532, 145K)

Go out and ask 10 random people how much they think a Rolex costs. Make it 20 - ten wearing watches, any kind, and 10 without. You will find most people have no idea beyond "expensive". With all the things people choose to spend money on a Rolex isn't that ridiculous. Unless you surround yourself with vain, materialistic people most will not care how much your X is, whether that be a watch, a coat, a shirt, shoes, a hat, a car, etc.
Every day you interact with people who drop tons of money on things you (probably) think are dumb and wasteful. Shoes and clothes most of all. You would be astonished at how much some of them cost and what people are paying for them.

Let's use a different example, and a more common one than a watch. A friend of a friend pulls up in a brand new BMW. He works at Chili's. Now there may be a brief conversation when he is gone about "how does he afford that" but no one 'judges' him for driving that car, in fact beyond the fact that he does drive it they will totally forget about it within minutes. That is what he wanted and so he bought/leased it. How he did so is his business, not anyone else's. To each his own. I think you will find the vast majority of people think along those lines.

you also overestimate the general public's knowledge of watches. As I have said before you are talking about a fraction of a fraction of a percentage of people who know anything about watches.

People see the logo immediately, and this is beside my point. Whether they notice the watch or not in a room, that's not the point here. You're not supposed to keep your watch a secret, so people will know what you wear one way or another, and I don't know where you live but here everyone knows a Rolex when they see it (the dial + the logo) and they immediately know it's very expensive. They might not know exactly how expensive it is, but they know it's a "rich person's watch that cost probably many many thousands of dollars".

>People see the logo immediately,
No they don't. You're a bit funny in the head user.

But they do. Rolex is one of the most recognizable brands in the world.

Swatch Once Again, it's the Pope's other watch.

Attached: IMG_20171129_202722_136.jpg (2188x2188, 1.18M)

Most of those very people have their own expensive hobbies. Not all, but most. You think a guy with a boat in his driveway will give a Rolex more than fleeting thoughts? How about audiophiles with $10k headphones? Comic collectors? Sports fans with season tickets and a house full of merchandise which increases every year? You are putting way too much stock into your watch, what people might think of it, and how many people will think negatively about you for it.

This user brings up a good point. The first question normies ask about watches is "what kind is it" with "is that a _____" a close second, the space being whatever brands they know, which is most likely Rolex. Most do not care, you are far more likely to hear "cool watch'.

No it isn't. All people know is that in older movies sometimes a character will reference a watch called a rolex and from the context they can guess that it's expensive. Nobody actually knows what a rolex or the rolex logo looks like.

post full collection please.

is a seiko 5 nylon good for normies? trying to get my good friend into horology so got him one for his bday. is mechanical too much for a first watch?

>is mechanical too much for a first watch?
Why would it be? not that long ago, all watches were mechanical

This is an old pic, a couple have been sold but it's mostly the same.

Attached: IMG_20180311_110842.jpg (1564x1564, 1.53M)

eh,seiko 5 is more than put o n and walk which is what people expect nowadays. wondering if i should start with quartz as gifts from now on

What did you sell?

Also these.

Attached: IMG_20180311_111139.jpg (1564x1564, 1.2M)

still have the gold Seiko? that thing is gnarly, i love it. I actually have no clue what that is

Maybe throw in a cheap watch winder. They're either going to love it or hate it. See it as a pet they need to keep alive or an annoyance. You said the goal is to get them into horology, if they can't like a seiko 5 they're probably not for the hobby.

These are the latest additions.
The LM Special and Spoon digital.
I do still have it yeah, it's just a 1980 Seiko 5 but it looks really nice. The plating is a bit worn but I don't mind.

Attached: IMG_20180630_120253.jpg (1564x1564, 1.18M)

>Now there may be a brief conversation when he is gone about "how does he afford that" but no one 'judges' him for driving that car,
Yeah exactly. I'm not saying that people will spend a lot of energy judging you for wearing a too expensive watch either. I'm saying that they will think it's a bit odd. To varying degrees. Your car example is a good one, because people will typically think it's strange that a middle class person drives a ferrari too. "why didn't he buy a 30-50k car instead?" - it's absolutely a perculiar thing to see someone buying above their own range.

Your other point about people spending a lot of money on other expensive things, I find that not to be particularly true unless they have the money. A woman won't normally buy a purse in the 10k price range unless she has more than average amount of means. Some do, and we typically think it's weird when we see it.

>you also overestimate the general public's knowledge of watches.
Absoutely not, everyone knows what a Rolex is and that it's very expensive. Now I've already added that they might not know exactly how much it is, but most know it's on the level of a cheaper-end car. That's why Rolex is so famous being the "fuck you I'm rich"-watch.

I know there is a guy in here who are now trying to tell me that people don't even recognize the logo of Rolex, but here at least everyone does. And I mean 99% of the population in all ages above 14.

I find that most people do not have that type of expensive hobbies having headphones to 10k.
But you're bringing an interesting point. Yeah there are expensive hobbies. For example people own boats. But there is a difference in people's perceptive of what is ok to spend a lot of money on too. This might be unconscious, more or less. People will not react to anyone spending 10k on a sparetime boat, but they will react to a 10k watch.

Cool collection you got there m8

Can I see a good or wrist pic of that Seiko? Been looking for a good used Bronze/Gold, from back in the day, that is fucking awesome.

I'm considering picking up a mickey mouse watch too. But I'd like to find one with Donald Duck instead, albeit that is not at all as iconic as the mickey one.

i just own a g shock

>99% of the population in all ages above 14
no. The general public knows nothing about watches.
If what you have been asking all along is will the thought cross some people's minds that a watch is more expensive than what they assume a particular person can afford then yes, I concede that the situation is possible. you are putting way too much stock into it though. Probably what those who think about it at all will think is "what a waste of money". They will not think about class or your station in life because what you spend/waste your money on is your business. This is coming from an American perspective, and I've been living in Japan for several years and I would argue it is true here as well.

>no.
Yes in my country they do.

also not trying to buy it off you, just been looking for a watch like that for a minute lol. can't find that color/style anymore to my brain.

speaking of rolexes, why is this model so damm popular
went to 2 ADs today and they couldn't tell me when they would get new stock

Attached: m126334-0018.png?impolicy=upright-majesty.png (720x1100, 605K)

>Probably what those who think about it at all will think is "what a waste of money".
Yeah this is exactly what I mean.
>They will not think about class or your station in life because what you spend/waste your money on is your business.
The class and station is more for simplifying the question. I know people don't classify each other in classes. But they have an unconscious idea of where you belong in the society anyway. If you are the blue-collar guy or the average middle class joe, or the white collar wall street type of guy, and so on. And unconsciously again I think they will draw rough conclusions about what you can afford and not based on who you are and what you do. And when they see something that does not add up, then it turns into that notion "huh, did he really spend 20k on that rolex?" - this is what I mean.

>no.
To your "no" about whether people recognize a Rolex: Yes they absolutely do. But I don't live in America like you. In Western Europe we all know Rolex quite well. It's almost like Coca cola. Not quite, but it's one of those brands everyone know about.

That's extremely unlikely. Are you in some 3rd world shit-hole where tourism in the main drive of the economy and people are systematically trained how to spot the wealthy foreigners?

I live in a first world country in western Europe, and everyone knows Rolex.

I know you both started this from a rolex, but aside from that and maybe omega, normies don't know literally a single other watch brand. Most likely if you asked them they'd be able to come up with a clothing brand that makes some fashion watches

If you're claiming that everyone knows what the rolex logo looks like and has any familiarity with their product line I simply don't believe you.

> why is this model so damm popular
it's one of the most iconic watch designs of all time and is the 'classic' simple Rolex. iirc the two-tone ladies Datejust is their best selling watch.

> they couldn't tell me when they would get new stock
that I am surprised by. afaik Rolex have cut back on production across almost all their models *except* the Datejust and Day Date models.