Will the Internet be split into regional subnets?

desu, it would actually be interesting to see, whether in real life or at least a sci-fi type theory. Here's some thoughts I have on this:

With the recent laws in the EU, the China firewall/botnet, the constant fears of cyber warfare, etc, Laws in different nations or groupings of nations could become different enough to fracture them off from each other.

The question is: how will this split actually look? what groupings of countries will be involved in each? I imagine there could emerge a black market or some under-the-radar way to smuggle media from one subnet to another, assuming there is no legal way for people in different ones to communicate.

Let's assume that there is though. If there is in fact some legal yet highly limited, regulated, and probably very proprietary way to communicate across the nets, what would that look like?

Going back to CPU architectures and hardware, perhaps a long-term split may even lead to all countries settling on different stuff. Like instead of having everyone using x86 chips from Intel or AMD, and maybe ARM if they have a mobile device, perhaps each subnet will have its own standard. If not an actual standard, then certainly a de-facto one. Entire hardware platforms that could be region-specific. We've already seen Russia making their own CPUs, and I think China has been planning on doing the same sort of thing.

How deep could we go? would one of them eventually develop a new networking protocol beyond TCP/IP? Could it be that each net would be speaking completely different protocols at some point?

A lot of this hangs on the time frame here. How long would the net be fractured? If it's not for terribly long, then most of this stuff probably wouldn't happen, or would be at a reduced severity. However, if it ends up that such a split persists for, say, a decade or more, things start looking more probable.

This is actually getting kinda exciting, even as just an autistic theory. Thoughts?

Attached: fractured_world.jpg (1000x563, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thelastpsychiatrist.com/2008/09/we_are_all_mercantilists_now.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Paquete_Semanal
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

pic related

Attached: ingsoc.jpg (686x600, 97K)

possible. cyber warfare is real. new networking protocol could happen depends on the economic organization/region.

>even as just an autistic theory
>theory
it's autistic, I'll give you that

This would be the worst idea ever.

perhaps, but it could legitimately happen in our lifetime.

possible but absolutely retarded
very few countries are actually self sustainable
all intra-"subnet" trade would be impossible and many countries would go into anarchy due to a lack of resources and economy

Also, I know you can do trade without the internet, but reverting to snail mail would be a huge step back for discussing trade

Companies would be able to get special licenses to communicate legally across the nets for business purposes

even then, there is no reason why the internet ever devolve to this, and many subnets would, eventually, turn into with no way for citizens to get international news that isn't filtered through the gov.

We certainly already have some sites which are region blocked, so this idea is not completely absurd.
How would you smuggle data from one net to another? Do you think of setting up automatic servers that do that are physically carrying data over the border?

Strenght

> thelastpsychiatrist.com/2008/09/we_are_all_mercantilists_now.html

Attached: east india flag2.jpg (360x216, 16K)

This would make ipfs really useful for the smuggling bit. They're already working on keeping shit synchronized over extremely long distance and low quality links (between planets). Physically transporting hard drives around would look like a very high bandwidth but very long latency connection under that model.

>Smuggling data across the border will be treated like smuggling cocaine in your lifetime.

>Smuggling data across the border will be treated like smuggling cocaine in your lifetime.
I was unironically thinking this. I mean if there are several fractured groupings of countries that have completely separated internets by law, then yeah, to get data across would probably involve smuggling hard drives over borders physically.

Assuming immigration is even possible (I can't imagine it would be easy in this scenario, but whatever), I imagine flash drives will be smuggled in peoples asses on plains.

I have no knowledge of IPFS other than "it exists". Mind explaining that point?

Attached: seagate.jpg (600x400, 28K)

planes*

There are radio-enthusiasts, they could move data around borders for large distances by bouncing the waves off the moon, so you would get fresh batches of new content periodically.

ipfs is just a convenient way to store and share the data in a decentralized way. It's basically a successor to BitTorrent but it's still very young.

>I imagine there could emerge a black market or some under-the-radar way to smuggle media from one subnet to another, assuming there is no legal way for people in different ones to communicate.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Paquete_Semanal

Why wouldn't I just use a VPN to aggregate all networks in to one so I can access them all freely? Are you talking about China-level dictatorship?

Balkanization is already happening. There's projects on the horizon that will make the current internet or the Balkanized internet irrelevant.

>The question is: how will this split actually look? what groupings of countries will be involved in each? I imagine there could emerge a black market or some under-the-radar way to smuggle media from one subnet to another, assuming there is no legal way for people in different ones to communicate.
These may act as secondary 'government approved channels, but that's about it.

Probably ARM.

MPLS will be viable on this new platform.

We plan for mass adoption in the next few years, we're just about to hit 6,000 nodes on our testnet.

It's already happening. We're basically the internet of the United States currently. Various countries don't like their population sending data to California and back on a mass scale.

Attached: skyminer.jpg (1280x960, 163K)