Is it too late to start University for CS at 24?

Is it too late to start University for CS at 24?

Attached: 1525886733555.png (380x349, 70K)

Yeah, your life is over. Just pack it in and spend the next 60 years at a helpdesk.

A more serious answer, I would try educating yourself and building a portfolio on your own before going to university.

If you're motivated, you can learn far more on your own and pursue the things that you're interested in and are most marketable. You'll save a boat load and not have to deal with the bullshit that goes on in modern universities.

hell no. there's people going back in their 30s. don't sweat it op

28 year old boomer no

Attached: 1525229578239.png (305x313, 24K)

Don't go to university unless you're sure it's something you want to do for the rest of your life. Try to learn the basics on your own, pick up a C or C++ book and make something basic to see if you hate. Most CS programs I've seen let you test out of intro to CS since a lot of people know it already.

This.
Honestly as a. Fellow autodidact u learn more studying at home as the uni environment is shit for actually learning especially if your living on campus

>tfw you'll never be a 24yo boomer

Is 90 minutes too far to have to drive to get to school?

Yes. 24 is boomer age, you should have a career already. What the hell were you thinking?

Well I work doing electrical/instrumentation construction for a mine but wages cap at $37/hr. I want to do something that requires a little more brain power and a little less standing on ladders drilling. If you know anything about construction the most your brain gets used is doing measurements

Have you tried reading a book on C or C++ while working? Surely will rev your brain up and see if you like the language.

I'm doing some practice projects while following principles and practice of C++ and I do some arduino projects from time to time
I find it rather challenging but it is pretty fun

Nah, when I was in freshmen CS there was a 40yo dude going back for his degree. He was doing computer repair stuff previously, think geeksquad but his own business.

I can't believe that /sip/ boys have become so widespread.

anything farther than 40 mins is too long.

It's not a big deal. I finished my undergrad when I was almost 27. My advice is to have an open mind and don't walk around like you have your age sewn to your sleeve.

>one chance at life
>end up being the 30 year old boomer freshman in class

There are too many people going into CS. Don't do it. It's getting fucking crowded in here.

It certaily is, let me up this in perspective.
Lets say you have class Monday through Friday, that's literally 12 hours a week (under perfect conditions) you're wasting. That time is crucial for for applying what you've learned + studying. Your grades will take a hit becauseof this, oh, and goodluck getiing to those 8am lectures. You'll be insanely burnt out.
Find a place that is closer and move out of your parents house, you'll start to actually be yourself.
>ind4 'muh audio books'
They're a waste of time, don't be a 30 boomer

the average age for freshmen is 23

source?

Not him, but it makes sense. 18 is literally the youngest median, it's not hard for the average to drastically increase if there's 25+ year olds attending.
idk why people have a missconception about age vs schooling.

See I broke something lol

Depending on what you do with your arduino, if you find that challenging chances are you won't finish uni. It's also pretty much worthless to start CS degree this late, unless you want to stay in academia. If you want to work in the industry, it's better to just build portfolio and grind interview questions on glassdoor.

i used to commute 1hr+ every morning to high school when i was doing dual enrollment. then i would hop on buses to commute to the various satellite campuses where i was taking my extra classes. what i'm saying is: if you're motivated, it's not too far at all. if you're a pussy shit bitch looking for an excuse, then yeah it'll be too much.

There's literally classes based on microboards. quit trying to discourage him, he will do just fine if he applies himself.
>better to just build portfolio and grind interview questions on glassdoor.
Yeah, a CS degree looks way fucking better than this shit. Even better if he were to combine the two.

I'm a 34 year old boomer in my last year of a B.S. in CS. Just do it faggot, the industry is desperate enough to take us.

Kinda in a similar boat here. 25 I work on chemical tankers I've posted here before.

Automation outsourcing and other things are killing the industry in the next 15 years or less maritime won't be a field anymore. I can either waste more of my life on this or take some of the cash I have and it's alot, and get re educated for something in "*tech*".

Which I'm gonna be doing. But I'm not just gonna go to school and fuck around I plan on getting certifications first on my own and then doing the degree just to have the piece of paper. The piece of paper shit is not a meme HR is a mother fucker these days. Gotta have the complete package.

I'd like to do sys admin shit ultimately and just run servers or a data farm.

What about me should I bank more cash for a few years or call it quits and start on the new shit in January?

Not getting any younger that's for damn sure.

I took out loans, if you can save some before starting then do it. If I were you I would just start as soon as possible. I also went to cc for two years before starting, just make sure the credits transfer. I think total cost is 30,000 for what I did. 10,000 for the A.S. and 20,000 for the last two years at a real uni.

Is it hard to keep up with?
What was your previous line of work?
Any other education or degrees?
Thanks user, you inspirational boomer.

There’s nothing wrong with it but if you’re American I would just try self teaching and doing your own projects. You’d probably get a job earlier.

It's not easy, don't listen to /g memes.
I was a machinist button pusher for a few years, then a loser for a decade.
I dropped out of high school without knowing algebra at all, so I had to start near the bottom of remedial classes for math. If I can do it, anyone with a >=100 iq will be fine.

no

Thanks! I'm willing to drop everything and put clsss, studying, reading and working out as my life. It'll be tough, but I can make the sacrifice.
I'm also looking at a BS CS, 5 year Major.

I did. Now I'm 29 working at an internship and have a super bright future. You just have to be motivated. I've spent entire weekends building projects for fun using new tech that required lots of help and reading. If you're not doing that, then there's little chance you'll catch up.

I think I'm a boomer, but I can't stand energy drinks, and neither do any of my friends or coworkers.
Can somebody explain that part of the meme to me?

what the fuck are you going to live from?

This retard clearly didnt go to class

When people talk about autodidactism in relation to programming, it usually applies to learning programming languages and creating apps, games, etc. It's easy to learn the basics like the types of loops, variable types, arrays, etc.

But what about the more formal stuff like data structures, algorithm design, trees and graphs?

Attached: Steve_Wozniak_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg (2068x2764, 2.26M)

You learn them like you do other things

if you're referring to financials, I'll be dipping into savings and get student loans. Not sure if I can juggle a job a long side with studies. I'm also aiming for a high gpa.

those are still pretty easy to learn. just write it out and play with it the same as you did loops, etc.

reducing stuff to discrete units might be difficult i guess but you learn by doing so start crunching kode

I'm 29 and I dropped college a longass time ago like years ago and now I'm just another failure in life I wanted to pursue IT and or web programming/web dev/web design and creation shit back then

Attached: HyperStar.png (518x516, 528K)

The "you can do anything if you try hard enough" attitude isn't helpful when you're making a decision that could leave you in debt and waste several years of your life. If he does the usual hobbyist stuff like drone, obstacle-avoiding RC car, ... with his arduino and finds that challenging, he has no bussiness getting a degree at that age. It will only waste time he could spend on fun projects that would actually net him a job, instead of the useless crap universities force you to do.
My CS degree (from a reputable uni, mind you) looks like shit next to the project i did in my free time during uni.
He's 24, by the time he has his piece of paper he'll be 30, with no real projects to show his employer. If instead he focuses on building portfolio of interesting projects and self-studying theory as neccessary for those, he'll be employable in 2 years. By the time he's 30 he has 4 years of experience over the freshly shat out guy with the paper.
Going to uni just for the paper makes no sense at that age unless you want to stay in academia. At least if you want to build software. It makes sense in other fields where the industry standards aren't so low that a highschool dropout routinely does the job of a PhD.

But burger uni's make you do a shit ton of projects, and none of the 3rd year+ ones are trivial or anything. He'll have 50+ projects easy by graduation.

I would suggest that OP do a combination of uni and self teaching.

it's never too late, until you're dead

Lmao no. Schools make CS easier every year.

>burger unis make you do a shit ton of projects
Yeah, because every senior that will be interviewing you wants to see yet another slab allocator, networked chess with Qt GUI and other trivialities that everyone did in uni. On top of that, when you ask an applicant to explain it, they're incapable of coming up with something coherent. It's usually also abhorrently written because unis don't teach programming but CS, which is good but it makes your average graduate clueless about modern practices. Your only real opportunity to do a project that's actually relevant is your thesis and extracurricular project if your uni has a team that does something you're interested in and good at.
When employer looks at your portfolio, he wants to see you're capable of working without someone holding a gun to your head. Putting your homework on application is suicide. It's much better to hear you passionately detailing how you explored different binning strategies on your toy distributed filesystem that you cobbled together in a week after reading a paper and which doesn't really work.

I have over 100 right now and some stock.

Yea I think I'll be going back next year sometime.

I fucking hate the idea of loans but it's whatever at this point. Gotta get out of the doldrums

Alot of us drink energy drinks because of work especially those of us in trades.

I fucking hate the damn things but you can't stay awake on 4 hours of sleep in 24 hours of work any other way.

I am getting paid way too less to care that much about my job and deadlines. No way that I am going to stress about arbitrary bullshit just because my boss is yelling down the other side of room. None of the shit I make during my working hours is important enough for me to actually give two shits about.

Not at all. Prep for it though

Find a program that looks good, covers things you're interested in, the you can finish in a reasonable amount of time.

The second time you five a topic it's usually easier: the vocabulary isn't new, you already have a general idea of what's going on, etc. So look at the courses you'll be taking, and bang through easier versions of them on some free mooc like coursera. It will make your life easier, and you'll get way more out of the courses you pay for.

Nah dude. I'm graduating next year at 25. Just be warned though most CS guys retire by 34

Serious question: I've been learning basic javascript on my own. I can make functions, variables, loops, if/else statements, and I know some methods by memory. I've also mastered regular expressions. I feel like I'm learning something new every day, but based on your experience how many years away am I from becoming "gud"?

i'm 47 and learning 3d sculpting. are you disabled?

What the fuck are people ITT smoking? So if you spend a couple of years not working for goal X it's all over for you? Are you supposed to do everything before you hit 20 with a huge rush and then just work for 50 years? What's the point?

I'm not even in OP's situation but I just can't understand this mindset. Is it an American thing?

Its a pretty universal norm to start uni at 18-19, get your degree and then work.

Probably more common in europe for ""older"" people to start studying though, due to it being free in some places.

Okay, so doesn't uni take somewhere between 4 or 7 years, depending on how much focus you put in it? If somebody keeps a gap year, has mandatory conscription (thanks, finland) or works / studies somewhere else before going to uni, why do people here generally seem to consider those people fucked? What does a few years matter, it's not like you're going senile in your sub-30s?

It's just a meme, don't worry.
t. 27 year old boomer studying at home, but hopefully will get into some university

Just focus on yourself, not what debtslave normies do.

Yeah I know it's a meme. There's no rush in life, people search for what they wanna do and switch professions all the time. If there's anything I would be worried about it's having that Jow Forums attitude of going to uni, graduating quick and then stagnating for the rest of your life. Better keep learning all the time.

>worked at graduation
>have a condo half way payed off
>thinking about going to Uni for the first time at 27
>painfully mediocre wage

Did I do shit backwards? My life is basically stress free but I have some modest as fuck conditions.

>failure in life
>29

Many, many people waste their 20s on retarded bullshit. In fact, the pattern I see a lot of the time is people will destroy their 20s with stupid stuff and then become successful people in their 30s. It's extremely common.

I finished my CS degree at 29. Best decision I ever made.

>So if you spend a couple of years not working for goal X it's all over for you? Are you supposed to do everything before you hit 20 with a huge rush and then just work for 50 years? What's the point?

I can't speak to the mindset in yurope but this is definitely the mindset in burgerland. I dropped out of college at 19 and I am just now getting back to it 6 years later. It very much feels like I missed a major boat in my decisions.

Much of American life is structured in a way that following the motions is the path of least resistance. If you deviate too far from the established path it is not a trivial task to get back on track.

you never too late for CStrike bro.

Attached: please.jpg (755x567, 43K)

Read books and make excerciese even begin online judge for algortihms problems.

Shit, I blew my teens and twenties working. Now I am 30, in no better shape than someone who partied their twenties away.

Employers aren't looking for broke back autists that have tech certifications for anything other than low wage grunt work.

>Much of American life is structured in a way that following the motions is the path of least resistance. If you deviate too far from the established path it is not a trivial task to get back on track.
Wrong, you're saying 'well western society thinks this way and so should I'
Those who go against the grain, carve their own path and just life to how they want to are usually much more powerful people. The problem with burgerville is materialism and distractions, everyone is trying to keep up with the Jenses and going absolutely nowhere. Now stop hypothesising about that shit and let them be autistic, those who truly want something will achieve it.
Trivial is also subjective and it's not hard to quit you job at 30 and apply to school, you just need motivation and the will to sacrifice useless things.

Attached: 1530381276893s.jpg (125x83, 2K)

Success isn't about going against the grain or anything like that, it's 90% luck. If you're not born into wealth, it's likely you won't ever have it no matter what you do.

Started Uni as a 25 years old boomer 3 years ago, I'm about to finish my bachelor and don't regret doing it.

Do it you old faggot.

wtf is a 47 yo guy doing here?

should I take a management job in retail ($15/hour) and drop my community college classes?

or stick with CC, transfer to Uni and get a BA degree, then a job later on?

Do you have to code to do CS? I tried python and it was hard

What ever the fuck he wants.

Should probably go into a different field then.

31 y/o old here
just became NEET as of today, but I'm going back to school this fall (and hopefully will have a job soon too)

user you better get your ass in that college else I am gonna track your fag ass and give a different change to your life.

Get that motherfuck college degree, stay focused, work smart and have no regrets.

I think 24 is perfectly fine to go get your degree. Hopefully you're old enough and mature enough to fully apply yourself and get things done with good effort every time. In reflection, that's something I wish I had done more often. Challenge yourself.

Yes. Might as well kill yourself.

>'luck'
Keep waiting for that to happen user, others who are actively putting the effort in will surpass you. Now.. I'm not talking about the guy that just wants to pass go and collect $200 then do it again the next day. I'm talking about those who put their blood, sweat and tears in. Yes, some will fail, but the strong will keep on going and remain perseverant. If any 25 year old boomer is reading this and are interested in starting school, just do it. Youth is a state of mind and age really doesn't start showing until you're in your mid 40's (depending on health). Don't worry about what zoomers are saying, for they'll be the next meme in 5 - 10 years.

>should I works as a retail manager dealing with retards and assholes for pebbles for the rest of my life or become a successful programmer making a six figure salary
geez that's a tough call user

What must be done about the chad boomer menace?

This is a heavy demented autistic boomer
know your memes user!

if an indian can do it, you can too

It really depends on what you hope to achieve.

If you are in a job that requires a CS degree, then it'd be beneficial to do it.

If you are someone who has lived the NEET life since the end of high school and you think that a CS degree is a quick path to some programming job or some smarmy tech support job, then you probably will be completely disappointed.

If you are looking to make a career change, then it really depends on how well you can leverage your past experience.

tl;dr this is a decision you need to make on your own specific to your circumstances.

I have a cousin that started college at 30. Pretty much spent all his 20s partying Fucking roasties and working shitty low paying jobs. He graduated at 33 with a bachelors degree and now he is going for his master's. Is never too late.

This. If you weren't getting into CS c. ~2002 - 2004, you're fucked.
>be CS freshman in Fall 2004
>literally 4 people in each class
>be CS freshman in Fall 2014
>7 entire classes filled to the brim
Everyone and their fucking dog can code now. There isn't anything the masses haven't infiltrated.

>There isn't anything the masses haven't infiltrated.
if you don't know what hasn't been infiltrated it means you're part of the masses

share your sekret klubs

I've been working since I was 14. I am 30 now. My body has begun to fail me because of how hard I have worked. The jobs I have done that nobody else did, all to be tossed away because it was convenient. I live in a rusted out camper on a campground year round because I made the mistake of going to college, so now my credit is so shit that I can't even get a 1 bedroom apartment in crackhead city.

Hard Work does not pay off. You who usually get ahead? Ass-kissers, why? Because today's managers have an ego to stroke as they were spoiled rich kids who got everything they wanted, and were coddled. Hell, they likely got their job because daddy knew the owner. Stroke their ego (among other things) and you'll pull ahead. They don't recognize hard work because they've never worked a day in their life. They see someone who works themselves to the bone and think he's a fool.

post more of your origin story

Attached: 1469452972997.jpg (400x300, 33K)

This is true, but I was mentioning working hard on the learning / academic side of it. The no distractions, closed off focus. Sorry if I hit a nerve with my tony robbins talk. I should have said 'work smart' not hard.
and for you situation, why don't you apply for government programs? there are plenty of resources at your disposal, it won't hurt to try.
I'd like to give you more advice, but I'm sure you've heard it all, so I'll skip that.
To the last of piece of your post; it's not that they were coddled, it's more so of them going through regular motions of life. Maybe you can't have that, but you can sure as hell change your outlook. Get out of your head user, the world isn't out to get you, everything you've done is the result of your actions. It's also not to late change it. Hit the gym, shave and knock on some doors.

this i the view of an immature person. you know who get ahead of the ass kissers? the people who work for themselves. the ones that solve problems directly for paying customers. contractors.

what kind of meme is this? i'm willing to bet a good chunk of the people that enroll either drop out or switch majors

lol no. I'm 28 and graduate end of next year. Only thing that sucks is dealing with autistic 18 year olds.

Hey Darth, how julie been? found this picture of you two!
is that your son lying down? I heard he likes fortnite

Attached: 17f.png (1561x1162, 205K)