How can tech solve the housing crisis?

>make $80,000 a year
>still can't afford to live on my own

i love the bay area

Attached: 1506157547399.jpg (750x562, 57K)

Outsourcing

More taxes and regulations. This money can be used to subsidize housing for the homeless, like OP.

We will all live in these while connected to VR 24/7.

Attached: capsule_hotel_in_japan_0.jpg (704x396, 66K)

How about you actually become a decent programmer and work for google?

Attached: 1530323849782.png (664x735, 197K)

Get a real job you overentitled millennial

Attached: df5.jpg (600x600, 27K)

If you make 30k a year you can live on your own in most of PA. It's a decent lower middle class wage here.

>taxes and regulations
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

kys commie scum

There is no housing crisis. This is just the boomers walking into the real value of the assets they got for cheap when they crashed the housing bubble.

Attached: 1530142048917.png (1876x1200, 80K)

>in process of getting new job
>article comes out saying that 107k annually is "low medium income"
>I'll be low medium income making $120k a year

I was born and raised in this state, but I need to leave

The people who own huge companies should just straight up buy offices and apartment blocks and then not only control the people around them with the app but the very employees and people who live there

I, too, want to live in Detroit circa 1987 Robocop

Lmao wtf why would you take that salary there of all places. Retard. Just take 50k somewhere else it's not that hard.

>t. Steve

Attached: vHxSoNJ_d.jpg (640x640, 75K)

>not living with your 50 year old boomer parents and saving up money

you'd have to pay me more than that to work with golang

please stay there, definitely don't come to where I'm currently comfy

living with parents isn't feasible for everyone. my parents live thousands of miles away from me

Just live in a van, it's hip and cheap

Dude shut the fuck up, do NOT invite these left wing faggots and pajeets to my beautiful Pennsylvania

gib 400k job please

Attached: 1501138746870.png (616x725, 150K)

>Chad stevens: He/Him; makes code

Attached: 1525394197150.png (952x677, 544K)

>How can tech solve the housing crisis
it has in a way. it's just that people still prefer going to an office to just hold telephone meetings, webex and use a computer for some reason.

It's completely insane that remote work is still so rare in the software industry. All because too many managers can't actually manage people and instead have to micro-manage and time how long you're in the office to make it look like they're adding value to the company.

Idk i make way more than that but i have a pretty accurate budget and it costs me 35k a year to live alone, pay bills, have tons of streaming services, and have some money for beer, weed, and video games. My rent is 1500. If my rent doubled to 3k that'd be 54.2k yearly costs. I only keep like 69% of my salary from benefit costs and taxes so if you did the same that's 55.2 take home from 80? So idk you should be able to to have double my rent and live a similarly comfortable life to me? I guess you can't be saving/investing much though. But I'm accounting for streaming services and entertainment money so if you cut those out you could invest. Maybe review your expenses.

one thing that would help is to have the Federal government literally not own 80% of the homes in the world in some retarded government sponsered entity.

Move somewhere else, or get a better job.

>the virgin chad

>using ms office and windows
he doesn't really strike me as a developer

this still makes me laugh
>b-but ground floor, EQUITY bro.

like jesus fuck, these "start-up" owners are deluded faggots.
if they can't fucking pay the market rates or maybe not have an extremely poor survival track record, skilled people would fill the jobs.

They could probably get away with paying the 90-130k mentioned in the article if they would let people work remotely, but they don't, it's utterly incomprehensible. I would consider 130k if it meant I could live somewhere with a low cost of living. I wouldn't consider it if I had to live in the bay area.

>80k
>bay

hahah thats like the minimum wage here sweetie :)

Why can't the market fix it. Looks like an easy way for investors to make money by building multi-storey apartments. I still wouldn't be surprised if property owners lobbied for a ton of regulations that makes it hard to build new apartments so they can protect the value of their properties.

>Looks like an easy way for investors to make money by building multi-storey apartments
>I still wouldn't be surprised if property owners lobbied for a ton of regulations that makes it hard to build new apartments so they can protect the value of their properties.

That’s basically it.

>I still wouldn't be surprised if property owners lobbied for a ton of regulations that makes it hard to build new apartments so they can protect the value of their properties.

That's exactly what is happening. NIMBYs.

I don't know, probably passing more regulations and raising taxes will help though.

but you need to be in the bay or you're not worth the time.

Nice meme. My living expenses in Silicon valley are $30k a year for a 700 sq ft apartment 10 minutes from my job. Easily doable on a $40k a year pretax income. If you're making $80k you should have $25k in disposable income per year.

>build multi-story apartments
>have to provide a select percentage of "low income" units that you'll be losing money on
>strong competition already for good tenants (rich people)
>legal nightmare

also numby as someone else mentioned. the market would fix it but governments and stupid locals find a way to sabotage progress at every turn.

>paying 1.5-3k for the mere priviledge of living on someone else's postage stamp sized piece of property

ruralfag here, it's just a different world out here, difference of night and day. For the same payment where I live you can buy a very nice house and a hundred acres that it sits on. Lord of all that you can see.

This was 350k yesterday. Huh guess google is desperate

When you think with such money I could live like a complete king in my country without any problem, doing whatever the hell I want.

ya, the "different world" is that people in the bay actually matter, unlike you.

Most people would prefer that I think, there's just no jobs in rural areas that pay well.

And what kind of job and experience are necessary to make that much money in bumfuck flyoverland or your third world shithole? Keep in mind interns after their first year of college make the equivalent of 80k a year during the summer.

>deleted

Attached: 1503160497006.jpg (508x512, 54K)

Make commuting viable and faster.

You could leave the Bay Area. It is possible, you know?

And that 80k apparently isn't enough to even live on alone, as evidenced by OP.

>$25k in disposable income
Happy with 25k income, how does it feel to be poor?
t. 300k income

You must be jesting user. There are two types of people who earn that much in my country, well known tv personalities (and I mean the ones that everyone sees everyday) or politicians. A decent person can never make that much, the maximum salary for a corpcuck being 80k per year before taxes (and that's what only the most skilled of the skilled make, probably less than 100 people in the entire country)

Attached: 4DuGJRe.png (509x411, 26K)

>proud of living in a state where voter turnout routinely tops 115% of possible votes and no one thinks that's suspicious or does anything about it

Attached: 1524861032902.jpg (940x1287, 847K)

All the "housing crisis" are caused by dumb bullshit regulations like low maximum building size, minimum apartment areas or something arbitrary like requiring a patio, which disincentivizes making affordable housing in favour of higher priced ones.

There's also the problem that if you don't have enough cheap housing to reach the general population then you end up with only the scum of society renting and turning your new building into it's own ghetto.

even in not rural, but fly-over suburbia, the jobs that are available are complete dog shit full of boomer "senior developers" and "principle engineers" who think their broken, deprecated garbage is still good.

You get what you pay for and a lot of these booming tech cities have jobs with greenfield development prospects and people who are actually modern and intelligent.

Forgot to say a starting salary in here is 800 dollars in hand in IT, that being a good one (not best but above average). A normal dev hits 3000 per month after taxes and that's pretty much where they remain unless they leave this place or open their own business.

t. useless manager

Admit it, I'm productive whether I'm in the office or working from home, and you're unproductive whether I'm in the office or working from home, but you can create the illusion of you adding value when I'm in the office and you're wasting my time with endless rounds of "just a quick question", whereas when I'm working from home I can simply ignore your messages.

tech can organize landlord assassinations

i'm not a manager, it's just the facts. fly over suburbia and rural faggots are old timey, nonfree shilling, dipshits.

Only scum or the terminally poor rent anyway. You're just pissing money away that you'll never recover. You need to either buy housing or buy land and build your property on it. Twenty years down the road you can either have the equity of your own property to work with, or you can give that same 20 years of equity to your chad landlord for him to spend instead.

ya, get away from society so you can program in FORTH like a supreme gentleman

Attached: c6039951e4c4a5f898dd5c20e5e2d908.jpg (500x500, 16K)

And brainwashed fags like this are why I'm glad the USA has a Republic and not a Democracy or we'd all have to deal with their retardation. Keep it Communist Land, that's all I'm asking nigger.

yes I'm sure the people paying $3k+ month rent are "terminally poor". you're probably simply jealous that you could never afford to live in the middle of a nice city.

lmao. yes, take on a huge financial gamble, lose moving flexibility and deal with all the woes of property management.

>85k in cheap southern united states city
Feels good man

Attached: 1528516896755.png (1920x1080, 2.62M)

I'm actually more productive working from home, because I don't have to deal with a shitty commute and the stress resulting from it. If you're not disciplined enough to be productive working from home then I guess you'll have to continue to go into an office, sucks to be you. I have a modicum of self-control, so my employer is happy for me to telecommute.

>make 80k a year, can afford a 4 bedroom house, a BMW m3 and 3 series sedan, as well as provide everything for my wife and 2 kids while still putting money away for vacations and whatnot each month
And this is only a few years after graduating. Thank God I don't have any desire to live in NYC or LA

trailer park heaven is a real good feelo

Attached: redneck_airlines.jpg (400x148, 11K)

Brainlet.

EVEN if you spend 40K a year in expenses, you'd still be saving 40K a year. (My living expenses are ~5K a year, living with room mate)

In 5 years, that's 200K saved up. That's without any investment/interests/etc.

With 200K you can a moderate house in a decent sized city. Without any interest/mortgate/etc.

How are you not able to do any of that? If I was making 80K a year, I'd buy a house in 2 years, while still living on my own with 10K a year expenses. Do you really need that 1 million dollar house?

You lost me. How is paying 2k a month to rent someone else's home better than paying 2k a month for a home that you will eventually hold ownership of?
Buying land then building your own house is objectively superior to renting a house.

good luck getting a shack in the bay for 200k

>everybody that doesn't live in the Bay Area is a trailer park dweller and should just die
>why do we keep losing elections fucking retards aren't listening to me

Fuck if I could live at home for a few years I could afford to pay off my student loans in 1 year and then save up to buy a house outright in just a few years. Fuck having responsibilities and bills.

Where did my post say ANYTHING about ANYTHING involving rent vs own? Quote somebody else fag

its suicide to live in a trailer in florida

>Actually matter

Attached: A9B619C846584487A66B042B246F5697.png (166x166, 11K)

>what are taxes
>having to live with a roommate in the meantime

>buy house
>could end up paying up to 10k property tax every year anyway, plus maintenance, insurance, and other expenses
>value is only realized when you sell it, and then you'll need to use most of it to buy another house anyway, unless you switch to renting

>moderate sized house
>200k

what kind of dream country do you live in? in my area that will only get you a small/mid-sized apartment in a mid-sized city.

>unironically being this boomer

Attached: KDZEWFoCkuiGTik5c6Q3bLlyaenrGaEmo1YuljM_Fc.jpg (229x221, 7K)

depending on the area, the mortgage for a house would be higher than just renting

People complain about houses costing a minimum of 400k for a "shitty" house in long island, well triple that for anywhere in the bay area. It's not feasible to live there unless you're single forever. Buying a house there just isn't possible unless you're rich.

Anywhere that isn't California or New York, which people like the shitposter itt believe are "literally" unlivable wasteland.

You quoted which was specifically about how renting is inferior to buying.

>poz swapping trannies matter

Attached: 1482473562371.png (604x675, 587K)

>Jow Forums - everything but technology

You can't buy a 50 square foot plot with a portapotty on it for 200k in the bay

Sucks for you, here in upstate new York 250k will get you a 5 bedroom house with a 2 car garage with 20 acres of land with almost no neighbors in the mountains.

Living outside big, liberal cities could be physically dangerous for some people.

Given their extreme minority and yet unusual political and social clout? Ya.

>Bay Area residents actually believe this

Attached: consuela.png (320x320, 22K)

even if you take into account all the deductions? ive lived in small towns and big cities all over and ive found its usually beneficial to buy a house over renting if you are going to be there for a few years

>almost no neighbors
Almost no jobs, either

How many cocks did you stuff into your mouth before you typed that nonsense?

I thought the whole point of living in a city or the bay area packed like sardines in a can was to get rich in the first place. If you're not getting rich why subject yourself to that?

Except it is proven by the numerous other posts in the thread calling OP out on his bullshit.

Fuck man, all I want is a modern small (750 sqft) apartment in Manhattan for less than $1m

>all I want is to be able to pay 47% of my income in taxes and have all of my Constitutional rights severely restricted
Why not move to any other country if you like those two things?

Why? You get no guns rights and get raped by taxes and living costs and you cant drive anywhere

>buy car
>drive 30 minutes to work
>make 120k a year
There's tons of tech jobs where I am, i just don't live inside the city limits for good reason.
It's not hard man, I know city dwellers are afraid of driving but it's still quicker getting to my work than it is taking public transportation in a city to work

>in the mountains
mountain land is worthless, can't even farm on it