Folding Pocket Sized Surface

So this thing has been in the news today, MS thinks this is the next big thing, any of you interested?

neowin.net/news/leaked-microsoft-emails-refer-to-pocketable-surface-device

Not exactly sure what I could do with this that I cant do with a regular phone, guess it can act as a notepad...

Attached: wut.jpg (760x491, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

neowin.net/news/leaked-microsoft-emails-refer-to-pocketable-surface-device
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

microsoft is unfortunately going to be late to the party again, this thing is launching along the S10 and doesn't look like it'll have any advantage over the latter

It is basically a foldable ipad, which means it can be used as a phone and fit in your pocket. If it ever works it would be popular.

but why?
Ive never felt the need to put an ipad in my pocket, and I don't think I will like the seams in the hinge

guess ds/3ds emulation could be neat on it
maybe the bottom half can be swapped out for a mini keyboard, or gamepad, hopefully microsoft remembers to add a stylus port

There are plenty of reasons I would like a larger screen, but I guess I also use a Note, so I like large screens in general.

To elaborate, I use my phone for shitposting and references when playing /tg/ related things, so wikis, images, pdfs, etc.

suppose it could be neat since it has its own stand, maybe strong enough to act as a mini pc
maybe you can play battleship or 'guess who' on it with two players on opposite sides

If it has stylus support, which it will, then it'll be replacing my phone, if it has telephony support, which it will, and my Surface 3.

Would be something new at least, I miss the times when phones weren't all just sameish slabs...

>neowin.net/news/leaked-microsoft-emails-refer-to-pocketable-surface-device

this thing has been in the news ever since the first surface book (2015) came out and sparked the hinges conspiracy theory

you will have samsung release their foldable earlier

which is a shame because i want a full-windows running phablet and finally get rid of android which is os for manchildren

Attached: BadIdea.jpg (1036x684, 167K)

When?

Attached: misaka hacking.webm (987x555, 611K)

Weirdly it might be the right time for Windows Mobile to make a comeback.

Windows is finally running well on ARM, meaning their whole 'plug your phone into a screen' shtick will work properly this time around. And in some ways - the market is getting a little tired of Samsung/Android and iPhones, the APIs MS have in place for their universal ARM/x86 software mean third party stuff should be better this time around.

I think it might just work.

Except they're not gonna fragment the system anymore. They're experimenting with lightweight, cut version of Windows 10. First it was the S edition, now they're doing the Lean ed.

So, most probably with snapdragon 850 or 1000 we're going to get this Windows LITE, but still capable of running x86 applications.

I really hope this style catches on. I love the form-factor, but won't be buying Microsoft

As interesting as interpreting x86 is, native is always better

I just want flip smartphones...

Reminds me of this piece of shit that I had like 10 years ago.

Attached: 51GqoQzSZtL._SX463_.jpg (463x369, 28K)

All I can think of is all the fingerprint smudges that thing is going to have after 10 minutes of use....

If they can make the gap between screens small enough that it almost feels like one big screen (unlike that ZTE one with a similar design) I'll be pretty sad that I just got a new phone last month.

It's going to cost a fortune. Does it have a physical keyboard? Will it accept a SIM card? Screen on the outside, and on the inside? Can I install gentoo?
I don't see it replacing anything, really. Not unless it can work as a cellphone and a x64/86 computer.

Never buy a first generation consumer device. Wait until the second generation goes on sale or wait until you can get the gen 1 device for 33% of the initial price with a refurb deal (only manufacturer refurb that is)

>It's going to cost a fortune.
Fortune, as in, iPhone X price? Even so, it will be offering more for less in terms of screen-estate.

Operating systems aside, this one would be favored against the iPhone X's borderless but not quite display. I still hope it costs at least a 100 less than iPhone X, though. I probably will go for it regardless.

I'm only complaining about the price because they'll be talking about a second version for even more in a year.

>its going to cost a fortune
So like Sony Xperia or Iphone X or Samsung Galaxy S8/9?

Or are you talking about Alienware $2999 level price?

I'm Canadian, but Microsoft is offering the current Surface books and tablets for at least $1.2k. So I don't imagine it being any cheaper than that, and I expect it to be underpowered.

>2018
>Folding pocket sized computer
>Doesn't have smartphone capabilities
wtf is the point?

the fuck you're talking about, it's a phone

>not a phone

They really missed a chance with this one.

It's supposed to be one big foldable screen, not two screens attached together.

That design wouldn't work unless they invented stretchy led screen
Even if so it's still pretty much useless without keyboard since no formal programs is utilized specifically for touchscreen, except perhaps some doc edit.

>not having one of these

Attached: 51VSLpgXxXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (459x399, 28K)

No it isn't you fucking retard. No where in that article does it say its a phone. Its an iPad tablet like device.

I don't think any surface line is underpowered. However they will use the less hot proccy for their line, like in Surface book 1, they use i7-6600U instead of i7-6600HQ. Then again, someone tried the benchmark and it performed well compared to mbp (which used i7-6600HQ).

This device is an old myth, and also known as the Surface Phone. Some reporters as well as fans speculate that this device will have telephonic capabilities.

Windows 10 already has a Phone/Messaging application. Software is already there, and as long as they put the hardware inside, it surely will function as a phone.

As far as I've heard, they intend not to advertise it primarily as a phone, reasonably afraid that this unique design will get lost among that category.

Instead, they will likely call it a folding tablet with very functional pen, that you can carry inside your pocket like a moleskine notebook. Being able to make calls will likely just be a bonus, and not a flimsy one since the device becomes small enough to look like a phone in 21st century standards.

what about a touch-sensitive lenticular hinge like on the Book

Based Bill.

These thumb physical keyboards fucking suck. A stroke input touch keyboard is much better if you can only use one or two fingers at a time.

oh, its a Courier
the holy grail of ms

ALL YOU FUCKING MORONS RELYING ON ONE DUMB ARTICLE

IT'S A PHONE

THE SURFACE PHONE

PROJECT ANDROMEDA

It's been in the works for years now and nothing has changed, it's supposed to be a bridging device, like a palmtop and tablet and a phone, all in one.

Jesus, this board is fucking mentally apprehended.

Its going to be a shit phone and a shit tablet all in one. Microsoft loves these worst of both worlds devices. The Surface shit is a hueg tablet and a weird laptop that a total of 38 people have purchased.

>flip phones are coming back
now please stop with the phablets and make phones small again

it's two screens attached, click the link in OP

it's a phone you retard, there's no fucking point putting it in your pocket otherwise

also the ipad allows you to make calls...

>now please stop with the phablets and make phones small again
You know what depresses me?
Pic related. 2.4".
Apparently my choices are either 2.4" or 5.1". There is literally nothing in between.

I chose the former. It's decent enough, but lacks some vital features (like proximity sensor) and has really shitty battery life when not on wifi in an area with really good reception.
Coincidentally, in a few months an upgraded version will launch for twice the price and with all lacking features, but without removable battery or SD-card slot.

I just want my fucking four to 4.3 inches without bezel and with a slide-out keyboard and camera button.

Attached: IMG20180128171827[1].jpg (5824x4368, 2.73M)

then buy one

>big fat line across middle of screens
wew

If you're expecting a seamless foldable single screen then I suggest you go get a cryo sleep for at least another decade

>buying anything with a 320x240 screen
what the fuck

no it's not, you have xperia compact whatever current model is

Newest one is five inches.

brave.
one more thing.

>he hasn't ever touched good thumb keyboard
The trick is not falling for the landscape meme. Portrait keyboards are much better (when done properly). But yeah, for a device of the size from webm it would need to be split landscape.

You know what'd be cool?

Wireless touchpad/sketchpad.

If this device were to be made wirelessly connectable to Windows 10 PCs (or even more) as a peripheral device that works both as a touchpad when used with fingers, and a sketchpad when used with Surface Pen.

An app and a driver, and this could happen.

The idea is to have a single screen without notch/seam to make it pretty. If not then just use two screens folding towards the inside, not outside..which already been done anyway.

Attached: 11848035b6-zte-axon-m-7300-100738842-large.jpg (700x467, 43K)

Portrait keyboard won't be good for anything with big screens. Thumbs are much more limited.
user, it's called wacom with wireless module.

>Portrait keyboard won't be good for anything with big screens. Thumbs are much more limited.
That's why I said you'd need split landscape for that size (I suppose device from webm is 7"-10"). There is some uncomfy size range where full keyboard is too small for regular typing but too big for thumbs and the only reasonable solution would be making a split layout for thumbs but for some reason nobody does that.

bumperino, too good a thread to die like that

Remember MIDs/UMPs from 13 years ago? The goyim won't remember how useless they were. They'll think they're new. Let's sell them again with a shiny screen.

Attached: ux280.jpg (1023x928, 291K)

>Surface
>edges so sharp you can't hold it
>cue the Microshaft shill who says it's manly to hold the sharp edges to cope

Enjoy the brown tinted screen.
>What? Just turn the screen blue. That's what a Mac display is, right?
>He said Mac. Macfag!

worked for the iphone

I think the only way a thumb-friendly keyboard would work on something like this would be for it to be like those split keyboard people use for ergonomics, one half on the left corner the other half onthe right corner.

loser
these were bond af

Attached: images.jpg (246x205, 10K)

they're going to wrap around your forearm by then.
15 yrs for foldable.

t. timetraveller

I lost.

>muh folding tablet meme
Fucking boomers and millenials are to blame for this failure of a device.

WHY CANT WE GET A DAMN UMPC WITH A TACTILE KEYBOARD DAMNIT

>you will never have a pocket sized ssh/email/rss linux terminal

REEEEE

>Fuck, I have money. I need to get rid of it fast to stay poor.
>I know what I can get. I can buy gadgets I don't need! I need some kind of Bond shit with miniaturization and cameras and techno future graphics like I'm a superspy on a secret mission.

But what if they can work it out so it'd be comfortable with one handed typing with landscape layout?
I just don't see thumb typing as ideal, somehow.