Minimalism thread

Minimalism thread

"A design is only ideal when there is nothing left to take away."

All operating systems welcome.

Pic related.

Attached: lessismore.png (3840x2160, 261K)

>chrome

I have Google Home throughout my apartment, and I use a Google Pixel 2 and chromebook. Why wouldn't I use Chrome?

You should know Chrome is the defacto standard of the web.

Eh, having Windows 10 in general defeats the purpose. There is nothing "minimal" about... well, just open the task manager and see all the processes running. You probably won't even see a problem with that, which is why your thread is so shitty

>minimalism
more like wasted space
a good minimalist design has no wasted space you faggot

hey I use O&O Shutup 10, disable the lockscreen, and I removed all modern apps outside of calc, edge, and store.

You CAN be a minimalist with Windows 10, linux-kun

Attached: processesyousay.png (1387x1660, 194K)

>windows 10
>chrome
>lastpass

I see you're a pleb that loves botnet. You belong on reddit not Jow Forums.

Attached: 44aef93b4cfcb42c0565e71393c3d81003ca3ec36a8e3bf7cc9bebde761a6b0b.gif (300x296, 1.86M)

Smart phone minimalism. micro g lineage os and this is my app drawer.

Attached: Screenshot_20180630-135008.png (1440x2560, 375K)

Thanks, Stallman. Shouldn't you be eating dead skin from your toes in public?

>no microsoft redistributables
I see you use your computer for nothing of value.

>windows
>picrelated

also linux is bloat too

Attached: 1491422615092.jpg (580x346, 47K)

Yes, I know, should remove the version watermark.

Attached: boring_screenshot_from_a_boring_anon.png (1366x768, 6K)

>Google Home throughtout my apartment, and I use a Google Pixel 2 and chromebook
How's the botnet life going for you?

No, keep the watermark!

Attached: american-psycho.png (1044x779, 1.46M)

Great. I would feel lonely if no such agency couldn't hear me hum Katy Perry songs.

>process hacker
>boasts minimalism
>uses bloat over defaults

>installing third party trash
Why?

Process hacker is so much easier to use than task manager, mang.

I work at Google, I just checked out his dick pics. Nice micropenis OP.

Attached: 1464970203719.gif (377x372, 3.46M)

I'm actually dickless. I don't have a vagina either. What you saw, google employee, was my splarnge. You wouldn't get it, but in my species, it requires a dick, vagina, splarnge, and spinkledoo to reproduce! Shitlord.

>RAM: 3.03GB in use
>Processes: 139
Sure is minimal in here

Pretty minimal when I have 32gigs of ram and 8 cores idle.

That's not how you define minimal.

>32 GB RAM
>8 cores idle

>237 GB HD

Attached: 1500995019591.gif (355x201, 2.99M)

Minimal is relative to the requirements of the user and environment, anonnie.

That 237 gb "HD" is actually a 950 m2 drive that blows the pants off SATA SSDs.

I hate this design trend of making everything as minimal as possible. It makes things harder to use. Yes I know you get used to it quickly, but it results in you being that much slower when using software. The design style of Windows 98 is objectively better than the flat minimalism shit that everyone (windows 10, gnome, even fucking KDE) is shoving down your throat today.

Am I doing it right?

Attached: Screenshot_20180630_201149.png (3840x1080, 679K)

also, wtf is that? that looks just like the windows 10 default settings except that the background is a flat colour. is that what passes off as 'customization' in the windows world? pathetic.

>Chrome

Attached: google.jpg (600x368, 29K)

>preaching minimalism
>then installing software like VLC, WinRAR, Chrome, Process Hacker... to compensate for the OS's flawed defaults

Not everyone is autistic enough to use an i3 window manager.

Who the hell decided to put that task bar shadow there, it looks terrible with maximized windows.

>It makes things harder to use
A minimalist setup is not necessarily crippled. It's about removing the superfluous. Whoever makes his life more complicated is being stupid about it.

What we're seeing here is chickenshit minimalism. Minimalism in design aesthetic that is built upon a heap of shitty bloat. True minimalism is being able to accomplish all your tasks while using as little resources as possible.
Install GNU/Linux or BSD. Use a small window manager, use a terminal client such as mutt or alpine for email, Manage your files from the shell, use browser extensions to block ads and bloated unnecessary shite, etc. If you're using more than 100-150MB of RAM with no browser, you're doing something wrong.

Attached: tumblr_m8u29gcEPm1ro8cnpo1_500.gif (500x289, 174K)

continued:
Some more suggestions. Use mpv for videos. Use that or cmus or mpd for music. Use rtorrent or transmission-daemon+remote-cli for torrents.

OP here to mock you about your misguided definition of minimalism

>You actually need a keyboard? You're using more than 1k of ram? That's real chickenshit minimalism. Get yourself a PDP and some punch cards. If you aren't using punchcards, you're doing something wrong.

Like this?

Attached: Screenshot_20180630_202425.png (3840x1080, 677K)

extremely minimal

Attached: 2018-06-30_20:25:18_1920x1080.0.png (1920x1080, 1.09M)

>(s)he uses Linux for Negroes

Yeah, that's a hell of a lot better. Shame you have to resort to scripts in order to disable it rather than just unchecking a box, I set my script to run at startup but it only worked half the time.

No, I don't install from github.
Which nigger did shit shit btw? It clearly was someone from here, seeing the installgentoo wiki link and stupid """malware""" that wouldn't even work because shit's sandboxed on gentoo

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-30 Linux For Negroes ยท GitHub.png (1024x578, 50K)

Except keyboards and more than 1k of ram are needed to complete my day to day tasks.
The goal is not minimalism to the point of unusability. It's to not use an unnecessary amount of resources.

The point is if you have 32gb of ram, it's silly to use only 100mb. You ARE missing usability when you sit at 100mb. Command line tools are a pain in the ass.

>You ARE missing usability when you sit at 100mb. Command line tools are a pain in the ass.

The computers went wrong when you made them for niggers. That's when it went wrong. It's like how many people, it's like, "Ugh it's a command line.." Ah, fuck you man. White people don't mind it, ok? The white people are like, "Yeah it's a command line. So what's your point?" The niggers are all like, "Nooo! We don't like the command line!" Here's the difference in a white person and a nigger: Do you like the command line? Ok, you're a nigger. Fuck you. Get the fuck out.
-- Terry A. Davis

I know you're joking, but he's mentally ill. Most of his opinions are a result of that.

>windows
>chrome
>nvidia driver
>minimalism
The presence of few programs doesn't make your system a minimal one, it makes it simply less useful. The point of minimalism is to have a fully useful system that uses few resources.

Attached: 2018-06-17-092625_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 882K)

Nah man, he's speaking the truth when it comes to that. Within his mentally ill ranting are nuggets of truth and wisdom. Keep in mind that before he went nuts, he was a very intelligent and skilled programmer. Going nuts didn't change that.

>windows
I guess everything counts

Attached: gnome.png (1600x900, 1.83M)

>minimalism
windows

Attached: worried-laughter.png (520x678, 301K)

>having to go to this much trouble to make your OS about as minimal as a bloated KDE install

BASED
A
S
E
D

>bloatest OS in existence
>minimalism
your average Jow Forumsetard

>GNOME

Attached: aspiefrog.png (657x527, 24K)

>32 gigs of ram
>8 cores idle
good goyim

I like it. I'm well aware of all the shit surrounding it but it works fine for me. I like every desktop environment but gnome is my favorite

>2182MiB / 7739MiB
Yeah, so minimal.

Can't believe we had to wait this long for this post.
Minimalism in linux using wm's like i3, bspwm, openbox, fluxbox, etc. is true minimalism. Not just disabling desktop icons on a Windows machine.

:D

Attached: scrot_2018-06-30-32_1366x768.png (1366x768, 263K)

>Uptime: 1 min
Why don't you show us your REAL desktop.

>Implying Jow Forums isn't reddit already

All that I'd bloat besides Realtek Nvidia and VLC.

>all this thread
>not using Crux
Fuck you all!

sup my dude

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-30 18-16-14.png (1920x1080, 1.57M)

>1366x768

hang in there bruh

People conflate having a light OS with having a minimal OS. Minimalism is about maximising the utility of every piece of software you need, it's not necessarily about having the most spartan system possible. A pre-compiled kernel can be just as minimal as a custom compiled kernel depending on how you view it. It's not minimal to spend time configuring your kernel if you don't enjoy it.

Attached: rice0.png (1366x768, 865K)

Uptime doesn't make a difference, what's important is the programs you run and the background processes. My system usually uses 270-350 MB of RAM when I don't use Firefox, otherwise it can go up to 1.1 GB of RAM usage with 5 tabs open, one of which is a YouTube video playing.

>minimalism
>accepting web standards
pick one

What's the most minimal terminal emulator that doesn't require recompiling to configure? I'm not a fan of that concept.

Fuck your 'MINIMAL' stuff, just use xfce4-terminal or whatever non-shit terminal program like a sensible person.

The choice of a terminal doesn't make a huge difference in resources' usage. Most people recommend urxvt, but it requires some time to configure. I use x-terminal and I like it: you can configure it easily through GUI and it's the stock terminal of Lubuntu, so I guess it's light enough for most users. Some people also recommend st.

Guess that makes sense. I'm not especially into the minimalism thing, but at a glance it seemed like most of the popular emulators were interchangeable. So I was curious as to what was commonly used besides st (Which is what I had in mind when I asked for things that didn't need recompilation)

>Windows 10
>LastPass
>anti-malware
>Google Chrome
>Amazon
>Only 250GB of storage

Leave here and never return.

It doesn't matter how much ram it takes up if you actually use windows and only spin up your rice VM to impress internet strangers.

>VM
it's not a VM though. I installed Lubuntu and erased Windows 10.

Attached: 2018-07-01-012433_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 344K)

Doubt it's "minimalist" but it still somewhat looks good.

Attached: forfags.png (1152x720, 405K)

Doubt it's "minimalist" but it still somewhat looks good.

Attached: gtrtrtr.png (1152x720, 293K)

install gentoo

is that lxqt or kde?

Ayy!

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-30 18-16-47.png (1679x1050, 1.27M)

>google maps

Hey guys, am I /minimal/?

Attached: 2018-06-30-185657_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 906K)

If you strip a Linux distro to the kernel, then you realize that everything that is not the kernel is bloat. Yes, including your i3WM--that's bloat too.

Still seems like a lot of shit on that list that's not needed

>chrome
>classic shell
>windows 10
>minimal
That's probably not even LTSB, is it?

>All operating systems welcome.
* but only Plan 9 isn't off-topic

Attached: spaceglenda300.jpg (1910x2208, 639K)

You are operating under the false assumption that Plan 9 is the only minimal operating system out there!

>minimalism
>antivirus/malware

I'm not directly addressing you OP,

but you people seriously need to be extremely retarded, I'm not trying to exaggerate it, to be at some level where you can get on Jow Forums and even subtly browse Jow Forums, but then still use antivirus software or even a firewall on your computer.

SERIOUSLY. STOP IT. YOU DON'T FUCKING NEED IT.

Attached: 1357303509551.gif (245x217, 1.39M)

>nothing left to take away.
>has windows installed

FUCKING THIS

Must you swear?

Attached: 1530390475190.jpg (500x525, 47K)

ye

even on cyber world swearing still can get your heat off. it makes you feel relieved of the thing you wanted to express.

nigger.

Racism outside of /b/ is against the rules.

Attached: 1430221209570.gif (480x228, 499K)

That's not your app drawer, those are you can launch from swiftly switch you lying attention whore