Jow Forums's opinion on Swift, another meme language?

Jow Forums's opinion on Swift, another meme language?

Attached: Swift_logo.svg.png (2000x1800, 104K)

Swift is my first foray into code. It's been about 20 years since I wrote any code (HTML) and shit has changed so much. It seem easy to learn new code. I like it.

I rate it a Mach 5 / 10

Attached: g_button_homing_robot.png (394x296, 195K)

no package manager = shit lang

Swift is shit but it’s growing, but Xcode is the worst IDE known to man.

We’re essentially beta testing the language for Apple. ABI stability is still not a thing, though it’s finally coming.

Go has a better garbage collector

It speaks for itself.

Attached: state_of_swift.jpg (1050x1637, 413K)

Literally made for toddlers. No self respecting programmer would be caught dead using SJWift.

Attached: 1513451932296.jpg (2016x1210, 285K)

Swift doesn’t compile if there’s an uneven amount of spaces between the variable name and its value.

It will never have any uptake outside of the Apple ecosystem, which is shrinking.

>self respecting programmer
Who do you think even uses applel software?

Attached: 1506673171236.png (704x817, 309K)

Go back to r*ddit. It's literally saved from there.

>It seem easy to learn new code
Did you just refer to a programming language itself as code?

Attached: index.jpg (266x189, 13K)

im not the biggest xcode fan but at least it looks nice

>i cant import my integer increment library liek i can in npm

Attached: enterprise-3.gif (320x236, 2.93M)

I think its a nice modern language, but its ecosystem besides the apple stuff is really poor.

>writes a hello world
>compiles
>runs
>"Hello World!
>waits 2 months
>tries to compile
>fails
>language morphs into something totally different in 2 months

>applel

Attached: 1501387794760.jpg (1183x543, 97K)

what is this supposed to even be

Didn't have a very deep look into it, but to me it seems to be the most promising modern natively compiled language.

Much more programmer friendly than Rust and a fast growing user base.

One downside is that it's not that easy to get running on Linux.
Tip for everyone: If you can't or don't want to use XCode, e.g. because you use Linux, you can also use the Swift plugin for CLion.

Applel pajeets try to code hello world.

Look at the URL
It's a test case for lldb
You put a breakpoint on line 6 and input all the commands below that

BUHHH I CANT MANAGE MY DEPENDENCIES MANUALLY BECAUSE I DONT CODE ANY FUNCTIONALITY MYSELF.
You're kicked off space force, faggot.

If you're using anything other than MacOS , Swift is useless. Same goes for C# outside of Windows.
Typical Jow Forums poster
This, id love to see GNUStep take ahold, but they're so small it's unlikely Rip PureDarwin. Free Software rewrites of SDK software is inevitably awful, it's sad really. I feel as if the GNU projects initial goal of rewriting proprietary software has lost its realism. Software is simply too complex these days, more than the simple command line tools of the past.

If you aint coding in lisp, you a bitch with inedaquate sex and life. fuck you. lisp or die. FUCK U

>good
i like it that you dont have to put a semicolon at the end of lines and that code blocks that in other languages require a parenthesis like an if statement is not required in swift.other languages like c could use this syntax sugar too to be honset it has no runtime cost and your code looks much cleaner.
>bad
no prefix/postfix increment/decrement
guard/else is unnecessary just use an if/else

Attached: 1528825609068.jpg (500x326, 15K)

>It's been about 20 years since I wrote any code (HTML)
Jow Forums in a nutshell