Will we be like old people today when we are old?

will we be like old people today when we are old?

modern technologically illiterate?

Attached: frog2.jpg (250x243, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That scares me too, user. I work in tech and feel that last generation’s old people were/are retarded I’d hate to not keep up.

I already am, I still use my 10 year old thinkpad and I hate new technology because it's all botnet. At least I have a good reason.

No. Look around in kids these days: they are happy with their cancerous smartphone social networking crap and that's it. They don't want to tinker. They don't want to program. hell they don't even want to bother with installing fucking windows on a desktop system.
Fuckers like these won't beat us.

/feel

Attached: gran_torino08.jpg (1200x800, 176K)

Most of the people on Jow Forums already are. Tell me user. How good are you with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc...?

This.
You scoff at its easiness and unimportance but I'm sure that's what old people tell themselves.

Yes. Read the first couple chapters of Rapture of the Nerds or anything else by that asshole Stross for an idea of how bewildering, degenerate and relentlessly asinine that will be.

Attached: 3216901487887300652.jpg (834x721, 35K)

No, each generation dumbs down tech.

Attached: 27ED90AB-B61B-4660-99D2-E01EE975E40E.png (675x601, 194K)

Probably not since my job requires me to be on top of new meme technology. And then remember it forever and then learn the next meme technology.

Fucking hipsters, stop making new garbage technologies that I have to learn the ins and outs of just to be abandoned but still used by some corporation somewhere so I have to know it.

>They don't build them like they used to. In my day, you could buy a and it would last you until your dead in the grave.

i am a man child so probably not

Attached: Menologion_of_Basil_054.jpg (1739x1179, 522K)

>I still use my 10 year old thinkpad
Hello Mr Stallman.

It's true that as markets develop, the business models increasingly rely on forced manufactured obsoleteism rather than innovation

My mother is in her fifties and she's more technologically competent than most of the people in my office, so hopefully I live up to that.

To be fair, a lot of old-ish people (in their 50s/60s -- even up to their 80s) are a lot more technologically literate than you'd think. My grandpa (aged ~80) was able to navigate owning a smart TV, using wifi, and being the older version of a bluetooth-headset boomer.

I've always found it funny that, even on Jow Forums, SOOO many Jow Forums users proudly claim their superiority over R*ddit by saying they don't understand its user interface. Like, I get disagreeing with it on a philosophical level, but admitting that you're less technologically literate than genuine normies is not something to be proud of.

nah i will be more of crazy computer old man

only if crazy shit like brain implants become common.

How the fuck does Twatter even work?

not unless we get a completely new technological paradigm, which is highly unlikely

microprocessor is here to stay

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

Well i still use my 11 year old thinkpad everyday so yeah i guess.

Yes. You won't keep up with the latest pop culture since it just isn't relevant.
I'm 42 and I have no idea if Justin Bieber is still a thing. And as far as I'm concerned Beyonce Knowles is just a member of Destiny's Child.

what is this normie talking about

You only become old when you stop learning.

I have no idea what most "apps" kids use these days are or do.

I don't think so. At least not if you're in tech.

My uncle's an engineer at Honeywell. You think he knows the difference between a 7870 and a 7870XT?

hardware wise, I don't think so. But I'm already a decade behind in social media usage patterns, it just holds no appeal to me at all. If people switch to implants or something to share media I'll be left behind completely

You're looking at it wrong - yes, we will be illiterate, but because we choose so. The new tech sucks.

The more I study tech, the more I go to the past. To Unix, plain text, CLI...

Nowadays we have what? Smart lightbulbs, Instagram, computers that take ages to boot... I want nothing to do with it. Tech is going to shit.

>implying that young people know it

>Began in 1923

i can't use any photo editing or video editing software, which seems to be the norm these days

maybe i am already technologically illiterate

What does following gaming card benchmarks have to do with technical literacy? Your uncle has more useful current knowledge than you do.

i refuse to use windows 10.
cant even use the crap to fix shit when something breaks on my mothers laptop.

Found the freetard who can't assemble a PC.

Justin's still a thing, and Beyonce got married to Jay-Z and has a solo career.
You're welcome!

Unix was a horrible mistake with better alternatives already in the 1970s and computers take like about 1% of the time to boot that they did twenty years ago, what is wrong with you

>plugs in prefabbed consumer electronics and thinks he's hot shit

Saddest post on the internet.

>will we be like old people today when we are old?
Nope because tech becomes dumber and dumber each iteration.
>click this big button to record, self-edit and send this dick pic
>put your smelly finger on this thing and unlock your device
>ask this talking talking for weather
Users will be more retarded than ever and the gap between devs and users will be even more bigger.

Keep yourself knowledgeable about how things work and how they affect your life and you will be more educated than 98% of the population.

most people arent really tech literate now tho. all they can do is use their phone apps and maybe play games on their prebuilt computer.

Kids today think knowing how to use an iPad is being technologically literate.

>I've always found it funny that, even on Jow Forums, SOOO many Jow Forums users proudly claim their superiority over R*ddit by saying they don't understand its user interface. Like, I get disagreeing with it on a philosophical level, but admitting that you're less technologically literate than genuine normies is not something to be proud of.
all UI has to be learned to some degree, if you don't agree to the philosophy of the site, you probably don't use the site, therefore you wouldn't know how to navigate it
I'm sure if you tried you will learn how to use a site as all other regulars would within a few hours and know the basics within 10 minutes
it took time for me to learn how to use Jow Forums while before I knew how to use various forums
same can be applied to programming languages and software libraries

Those are all piss easy to learn. Seriously takes 5 minutes. I already know how to use a GUI

Attached: 1473904892658.jpg (1106x1012, 362K)

The new reddit interface is so fucking awful. I can't even preview pictures on nsfw subs without visiting the thread.

If anything, the "tech elites" of today are like the hackers of the 80s who went on to invent the internet and GNU/Linux operating system.

Kids now don't got a clue about the early days of Dos/Windows. Most didn't experience Windows 9x. They grew up with XP/Vista/Windows 7. Show some kid a Command Window and they're like "what the fuck do I do with this". In the future all things will be done via Phone or some tablet device. Standalone computers such as desktops will be obsolete. Holodecks will totally kick this current "V.R" shit in the teeth. God can't wait till star trek TNG like Holodecks are made.

>technology
>random social media sites

Hello 14 year old.

so Al Gore?

>thinks he's some sort of tech whiz because he can push two computer parts together
You were probably the kid at school who would try to show off in computer class

you think you know the components of a gpu?
but I bet you do know what the numbers(cool kids are them specs) vaguely mean

"Keep rolling with the wave of change or be left behind"
There are pleny of 40+ year olds that well experienced and up to date on technology.
Actually, learning the fundamentals of computing (where it all began) is a major part in cs related programs.

I assemble new computer every 5 or so years, and when I do, I read up the market for like 2 days to know most of everything there is to know, and far more than I need to know to make an educated purchase
it's not like you're changing your PC every week nor you have any reason for spending any positive amount of time on reading about the newest stuff they're releasing unless you're feeling pressured to convince yourself to buy the latest gimmicky shit to have hit the market

Attached: 1502327830180.png (431x311, 103K)

People who aren't good at technology never were.

If you're born good with technology, you'll die with that.
What will happen to a vast majority of us is simply that we will be cranky, tech savvy old men who will probably refuse to be a heavy user of whatever botnet is the hottest thing in the future and we'll keep some corners of the internet we frequent today alive. Jow Forums, irc, shit like this.
It will be like your old grandpa who loves his old jeep or his old records or whatever the fuck that the current generation label as 'vintage'.
But no, you won't turn into a tech illiterate. You'll keep on updating and consuming the latest tech available until your last breath and you'll understand them as good as you understand new things now.

The same couldn't be said about music. As older you get, your taste in music will twist and turn and your own brain will develop a distaste for any new genre people come up. You'll drift towards songs that are familiar to you now or more calm. We'll be lo-fi addicted virtual outcast granpas

Attached: 1530116190115.png (337x339, 105K)

I'm guessing you don't have a job in tech or otherwise you'd see what it's like for technical people when they're old. Spoiler alert: they're not as bad as your tech illiterate parents

joke
your'e head

>kids these days

Alright gramps

What is your job user