Bought an xu4 for the kids so they can use it for simple homework. Have it set up to run wifi and the signal is strong...

Bought an xu4 for the kids so they can use it for simple homework. Have it set up to run wifi and the signal is strong. But youtube videos, even at 480, are very choppy and incoherent.

Does anyone know a way to get youtube to work better on chromium? Do I need a different browser?

Attached: 61Yjr8X619L._SX425_.jpg (425x320, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

webupd8.org/2014/01/enable-hardware-acceleration-in-chrome.html
pcsuggest.com/chromium-hardware-accelerated-video-decoding-linux/
archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/samsung/odroid-xu4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You need to setup hardware acceleration. It looks like most of the distros meant for the XU4 have it setup by default. If you installed your own distro, you may need to figure out how to setup hardware acceleration in Chromium.

>spending $100 on an odroid
your local thrift shop probably has an optiplex with 2x better specs for $30 that can actually handle youtube

You failed as a father.

You should've bought those cheap laptops from craigslist/thriftshops/ebay/etc.

That isn't what the topic is about. Go complain about pricing on an Amazon forum.

Aren't you due at a summit meeting or something?

Do you know which I should be looking at? Some say Kobi, but they keep recommending it for android flashes.

I've done this. Those cheap laptops that are not $30, they run worse than a single unupdated os on a pie 2.

Try this link, not specific to your hardware, but maybe it'll work:
webupd8.org/2014/01/enable-hardware-acceleration-in-chrome.html

Here's another article seemingly related:
pcsuggest.com/chromium-hardware-accelerated-video-decoding-linux/

Not our fault you decided to buy an overpriced piece of shit. Should've bought the $250 version, maybe then it would be able to run YouTube videos and perhaps a word processor

These kind of idiots are the best posters on Jow Forums. Absolutely nothing of technical value to add, just moronic comments like 'ah hur dur gentoo'

dunno if that shit has something other than ethernet. If it does try using that. Using analog output usually helps on RPi

Great thanks.

wtf is wrong with me.
HDMI not ethernet.

>$250 xu4
>Only one xu4 available
>xu4 costs $180 with everything included
Nigga, you mad because you got robbed.

Copy and paste youtube links into VLC

Yea, just HDMI signal.

How did I get robbed when OP's the retard paying $100 for a web browser and a word processor?

>Do I need a different browser?
Use MPV with youtube-dl.

Try installing the h264ify extension, it will force h264 video on youtube which basically everything can decode easily

Please stop forcing your autism on your children and give them a normal Windows or Mac system. Faggot.

Honestly what and said.
Don't be cheapskate when it comes to your kids you fucking faggot, they don't need a fucking mac or something, but a working pc is the least you should do you fucking faggot.

>guise i bought a >$100 device and it can't handle youtube how do i fix this???
>well they have better machines at thrift stores for your use case that are $30 and can actually handle youtube
>YOU GUYS ARE RETARDED!!!!! HELP ME GET MY SHITBOX TO WORK!!!! STUPID GENTOO FAGS!!!!

Why are you assuming they paid $100 "for a web browser and word processor?" Just because you are too stupid to know how to buy a product online, doesn't mean everyone else is. You already confirmed it. You mad because you are too stupid to know how to shop around for the best deal for the exact same product. And now you are literally lurking a thread you don't like just to shit post. Feel free to leave anytime. Nobody will miss you.

>mfw you keep demonstrating why you are too stupid to be on this board

Attached: Are You.jpg (540x720, 121K)

>he fell for the sbc meme

Honestly, what and said.
All these pretentious comments about being "cheap" when people buy these units as toys to have fun. The fact you didn't know this proves you need to /uninstall/ Jow Forums.

You god damn fucking retard. If anyone in this thread doesn't see the CLEAR connection between OP's pile of shit and the fact that a $100 pile of shit SHOULD be able to run 480p, you need some fucking preschool jesus

Butthurt samefag.

>people buy these units as toys to have fun
Fun tormenting their children yes.

OP is trying to turn a lawnmower into a car and would be better off just buying a old used car

All these samefagging shitposters who have literally nothing better to do.

God, I'm so glad I have a job, friends, and family. Can you imagine spending your whole day like this?

kek, see

You're bringing your children suffering by introducing them to this device

You're wrong you dumb retard. With only like 15 unique posters in this thread it's pretty clear the "IT'S NOT ABOUT THE PRICE REEE" are all the same person. It's probably OP who is upset that a bunch of people told him his purchase is garbage and torture for the kids (it is)

Attached: dumbnigger.jpg (685x236, 39K)

This

That's weird, they laugh, have a great time, and haven't shut about the cool games and shit they are reading. Maybe you are once again demonstrating your lack of intellect by not knowing what "suffering" means?

Wow you sure do look fucking retarded now

Attached: irony.jpg (688x233, 43K)

this
>a bunch of people
hahaha, silly kids.

fucking called it,

clearly it's OP
>Arguing with anons on the internet trying to justify your shitty parenting abilities while samefagging your own thread up

Alright now THIS is just a sad human being

hmm

Attached: Screenshot_20180630-170451.png (1080x1920, 213K)

>he keeps thinking he is fooling people

>hur dur, I can use multiple IP's to make this guy think I'm different people
>I'm going to sit here and shitpost about something I don't know anything about and don't even like
>I can't believe these people are even willing to buy toys for kids
>why would anyone want a less than $200 device they can play games on, browse the internet, watch movies on, learn to code with, and do homework assignments on when they could have just bought a used fagbook for more than $300 on craigslist that runs like shit because they are designed to break in 2 years?
>what an idiot

No seriously guy, you are making me laugh. Let's keep this going.

HAHAHA he posts a screenshot from his pc, then a screenshot from his cell phone, and is pretending to be two different people. Fucking kekles.

all things you can do with a $30 optiplex but fag op (You) decided he's too good for that and decided to buy an overpriced shitheap of a device that can't even run Youtube.
so who's the retard?
but me and him are both on internet connections
if we were the same person we would be in the same ip you inbred

>$30 optiplex
Feel free to post where you are finding $30 optiplex.

Nobody is fooled by your autism, dude. You are only getting good laughs.

a thrift shop you brainlet

What distro?
>not using ALARM
There's your problem
Go here
archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/samsung/odroid-xu4
ur welcome

Why buy gookshit for your children? Terrible.

>still failing to post proof
Good job dude. You just keep piling up evidence to support your autism.

>also

Not everyone is as poor as you, and can live life spending money on $200 toys for kids. Is this what you are most angry about? Maybe you should spend more time getting a job, and less time shitposting on an Anonymous board. Just some advice from an adult to a manchild.

Do you even know what autism is? Don't get me wrong, I'm not against using it as an insult, but at least use it when it's relevant because otherwise you just look like a memeing low-effort shitposter who came over from reddit for the summer.

That being said finding a used computer at a thrift store isn't exactly a wild concept which is also making you look very out of touch.

>posting proof for a thrift shop
nice job being retarded my duder
look at you, pathetic. can't even afford a device that can run youtube. jesus christ dude, how poor are you? nice job being a shitty broke parent. can't even afford to buy a $900 laptop for your kids homework. get a better job you failure

$900 laptop? You can get a brand new one for $300-$350. Used cheaper, dont trust thrift shop PCs.

Attached: laptop for cheapo.png (1426x918, 417K)

LMAO, fucking poorfag. Is this the trash you give to your children? They probably go off to school and laugh at you because you're the dad who's too poor to afford a macbook.

I dont have kids until I pay off 50% of my home and have no credit debt. You know, because I am a responsible person who doesnt spend like an idiot. Also people still buy macbooks these days?

But you bought an odroid for "the kids"?

>Do you even know what autism is?
Do you? No really. Do you? Because you are lurking a thread you don't like, about a topic you don't know about, so you can harass people you don't know, while making yourself look stupid. I mean, I know this is an anonymous board, but at least have some pride that you know you are this stupid.

>he still can't post proof.
>he still can't afford a $200 toy
>he still has no idea how learning works for a child
>he is still here shitposting so he can receive that attention
>he contradicts himself and suggests a $900 laptop is good when a $100 fully equipped xu4 can do everything, better, and can teach you about hardware/software coding
>he gets troll-served in the very next post by newegg
>he will still respond to this because he is angry someone can afford buying a $150 toy for a kid who wants to learn things

>same as above

Wow, look at all the assumptions. And he doesn't even have kids, but knows all about parenting. And still doesn't have money. HAHAHAHAHA

>still samefagging this hard to show the world why he's on welfare

Not OP, just pointing out there is no reason for him to buy a $900 laptop. Kids will be kids, they will break it. Best to give them a beginner laptop and if they want something better they need to work for it while proving they wont break it.

if your $150 toy is so great then why can't it run YouTube? Why is it struggling with something as simple as a web browser?
I was making an argument for the poorfag meme OP keeps trying to use.

Attached: Screenshot_20180630-191804.png (1080x1920, 240K)

This. Troll confirmed autistic.

I'm responding to
I have to bail for a bit. I have a meeting to get to and better things to do. If this thread is still up when i return, I'll fuck with you some more.

I think your autism is showing again. The point of this device is to expand abilities. But, you know, because you are the example of disability, it is no wonder you didn't know this.

Ah okay, I was
I just like hopping in threads helping people know there is cheap tech available and what to look for.

kek
who's side are you on
if it's meant to expand abilities then why are you posting here? if youtube isn't required for expanding abilities at all then why are you here asking about it? seems like you're an insecure poorfag trying to show off the whopping $200 you're willing to spend on your own kids.

Attached: Screenshot_20180630-192029.png (1080x1920, 256K)

>i have a computer with smartphone chips running a full desktop OS and browser, why can’t I stream videos?
The problem is clear
>$100 xu4 can do everything, better
Everything except youtube

Attached: 7263577A-0168-4544-A592-FAE50314ECA6.png (800x800, 395K)

>samefag
wow... really makes you think

Attached: same-fag-no.png (1920x1080, 150K)

You may be legitimately retarded. How is it that Youtube works on smartphones? Or Smart TV's? There are decoders built in, stupid. He just needs to get Youtube to use the built in decoders.

Not yours. I stand for justice, light, and all that stuff about being smarter and more capable through experience. Something you've demonstrated clearly that you have no say in.

They are posting here because they are looking for advice about something on a public board. I know you have no idea how to socialize, but you see, in normal society, people with needs or problems will seek out others who may have a solution. Sometimes, there is no solution, but multiple heads put together can often come up collaboratively a solution that was previously undiscovered, paving the way for those in the future who may run into said problem.

It really boggles my mind how dense and uneducated you are, yet you go around pointing fingers at everyone else for not knowing enough about something.

Stop being broke. Stop being mad because you can't figure shit out. Stop pretending. Get off Jow Forums and join a club with ACTUAL people. Not avatars. Real life, people. Yes, even girls. And you will see why nobody is taking you seriously.

Stop samefagging. Nobody is fooled.

a solution was reached in the second post
anything beyond that point is op sperging out and acting like being thrifty = being poor

>I bought a microcontroller for kids' desktop use instead of giving one of my hand-me-down computers to them
Your tard is showing.

apparently you were
let's not forget

Attached: Screenshot_20180630-201925.png (1080x1920, 258K)

>optiplex with 2x better specs for $30
Odroid uses 5 to 10 watts, jackass.
That's the reason people use them

>so poor he can't afford electricity
>so poor he gives his kids a development board as a homework pc

This. You should see DIY.
"Why build a workbench when you can just buy one?"
Makes me ill.

I have a really hard time believing OP is samefagging himself. I've been on this board far too long to assume the retard spamming their autism with only trolling posts is OP.

They guy spamming this thread has definitely forgot their prescriptions this morning.

>still trying this hard to prove they are autistic

DIY is full of old retarded boomers trying to jerk each other off about their wood shop tools. No seriously, DIY is completely useless and should be converted to /MORNINGWOOD/. That, or kick all the boomers off and encourage electronic/hydroponic/cultivation/video game posters.

what was your thought process with buying this to be used for homework? i'm curious about why you didn't buy a cheapo desktop like every reasonable person would

but to answer your question, install mpv with youtube-dl. Then run mpv from the command line with the youtube URL as an argument. since a media player is lighter than a browser, and mpv is exceptionally light at that, you may have better luck getting it to not be choppy

>seems like you're an insecure poorfag trying to show off the whopping $200 you're willing to spend on your own kids
I'm confused. You are claiming someone is an insecure poorfag for BUYING a $200 toy for a child, and then inquiring for advice on a public board to figure out a solution to a problem?

Did you see the contradiction there? Or are you that stupid?

>buys development kit to use as homework machine
>spends $200 on a device that can't even run a web browser

You still didn't answer the question. Your contradiction is ridiculous. And you are trash talking someone who buys a toy for a kid who probably wants to learn about computers (pi and odroids are great for this very thing). They would be able to write up reports, browse the Internet (which it can do fine), develop code, learn web design, run basic photo editing/graphic design software, prepare power points, etc. Just because they are having trouble with a single part of the whole package doesn't mean anything. You really need to start using your head. Clearly, you have no level of perception here.

This, they beat me to it.

install gentoo

and a $30 optiplex or a $50 thinkpad can do all those just fine. why OP felt the need to go out and buy a $200 development board that can't even handle video watching in spite of this is beyond me, but throughout this whole thread OP certainly had no place acting incredulous when people called him out on his shitty purchasing decisions.
like another user said, basically OP tried making a lawn mower into a car instead of just buying a shitty used car that's just fine for its task.
Odroids are barely built to be general purpose computers. OP had a shit ton of options concerning getting his children a homework machine, and just because he chose the shittiest option doesnt mean the rest of us are retarded. This all could've been solved if OP would've just taken the advice early on and ran with it. But here we are, because he didn't want to accept that he made a retarded decision.
What's also funny is that time and time again throughout this thread, OP (which I'm assuming is (You)) never made an argument for why he didn't just get a shitty desktop PC instead of a development board. He just threw out insults at anyone who dare question his superb parenting and financial ability, calling everyone poor while he blows his money on microcontrollers

How about buy a real computer for your children, kike? Dont you love them?

> run basic photo editing/graphic design software
>In a fucking raspberry/ arduino shit
Wow, calm down cowboy, what you want next? Teach citology using a 30$ microscope?

>and a $30 optiplex or a $50 thinkpad can do all those just fine.
You keep pulling these numbers out of your ass. And you don't seem to understand what the actual problem is.

>why OP felt the need to go out and buy a $200 development board
You clearly don't listen as the justifications were posted multiple times, nor do you understand why these units are wanted. Even for homework tools for kids. Kids can learn on them. They can play games on them. They can turn them into things. They can see the limitations and figure out work arounds (something people like you never group up with in this "throw away" world). They can grow with them by making small, cheap purchases that will expand the unit, as well as their own potential and learning curve. They are cheap, is the main point. And no, your used piece of shit on craigslist is not a comparison.

>50 times larger
>uses a shit ton more electricity
>no learning curve outside of point and click
>won't run code, 3D renders, or games
>can't be expanded upon
>and if you buy new, they are much more expensive

And, I know you will be stupid enough to debate this, but the XU4 is actually more powerful than a lot of much more expensive options out there. The only reason a thinkpad or optiplex will run "better" is because everything was set up accordingly. All OP has to do is figure out how to set it up. It really is weird how you don't understand this since it has been explained multiple times now. You keep coming here to respond to a post you know nothing about, only to trash talk OP and the people you talk to, along with their decisions, when you have no clue about the product in question.

Woh, watch out kiddo. Someone might mistake you for being a manchild.

Are you retarded? Nobody mentioned a raspberry/arduino.

OP wanted a homework machine. A homework machine. That's it. You pull all these things out of your ass that the odroid can do, that OPs children will never use it for.
And, the Optiplex, and the Thinkpad, and every other general purpose computer in existence, can "run code" and "play games." I don't see what it being a development board changes about that.
And if his kids did want a microcontroller, he does realize the rpi exists, and it costs $25, right? And what's more, the rpi has a metric shit ton more expansions and peripherals. The odroid is a retarded fucking purchase no matter how you try to justify it. For OPs use case it makes zero sense.
And I also don't understand how you think a computer won't run code, 3d renders or games if it's not a microcontroller. Are you genuinely retarded?

I'm before you try accusing me of being a samefag
I seriously have no fucking idea what you're saying in the last paragraph. It's like you strung some words together and attempted an insult. What's set up accordingly? It's a fucking computer. You plug it in and it turns on. And just because it's more powerful than more expensive options doesn't mean it's better than the optiplex.
What it comes down to is that the Optiplex is cheaper. A hell of a lot cheaper. And with that, it does exactly what OP would need it to do, act as a homework machine. The Optiplex doesn't need to be a microcontroller because that's not what OP wanted to use it for.

You are making a lot of assumptions. But let's just say "homework" is defined as writing reports and browsing the Internet. Obviously, they are working on youtube, but since they are talking just about youtube, they obviously aren't having other issues. Which means they got what they want for the most part.

You have no clue what OP's kids will use it for or not. Again, you make assumptions, and then get mad at everyone for calling you stupid for it.

As for the optiplex and thinkpad, anything old enough to be cheaper than an xu4 will not play games well. If at all. Also, you don't get the customizability with your two options that you do with the XU4. You would literally have to buy a better graphics card, get the fastest possible processor that will fix the socket, and maximize the ram. I'm only guessing here, but that's probably around $400. At which point, OP could buy 3 more XU4's on top of his 1, and get substantially better performance than the thinkpad and optiplex (for much less). And, the kid still have room to grow per their customizeability desires.

Nobody said the kids want a controller and only a controller. You are again assuming like an idiot.

For OP's case, it is a cheap, wireless capable, tiny box, that can allow kids to do all the things of a large computer but uses substantially less power, takes up substantially less space, allows for entertainment purposes, and can help with education/homework.

This has been explained to you several times. Feel free to actually think before you act. Or, how about, you just stfu and leave Jow Forums? We all know this place would be better without you.

I'm not the person you were clearly talking to before. I'm someone else pointing out how stupid you are. And yes, I'm sure you are the samefag destroying this post.

>It's a fucking computer. You plug it in and it turns on. And just because it's more powerful than more expensive options doesn't mean it's better than the optiplex.
No, the fact it is better than an optiplex is why it is better than an optiplex. And you keep assuming that OP is having 100% problems with the XU4. But what your dumb illiterate ass fails to understand, only youtube was asked about. So obviously it is doing everything they want except youtube.

You make to many assumptions for me to adequately respond to you in a reasonable amount. You really need to seek professional help. You spent most of your day lurking this thread to s hit post someone you don't like about a product you don't like while spamming nonsense with no proof. Is this the only attention you get, thus feeding you for the day?

You are genuinely fucking retarded. I was right. Nowhere in the op was there any sort of mention that they would be playing games on the odroid. A homework machine. That's all it's being used for. Apparently that can't make its way through your thick misshapen skull into your oxy-addled peabrain. If it was used for "gaming," can't you put 2 and 2 together and come to the conclusion that the OP would've included that?
Let's go back to the beginning, and start with something simple enough for you. OP wanted a homework machine for his children. That means web browsing, word processing and perhaps PowerPoint.
Now, what would you rather spend for this: $30-50 or $200? I thought so. A machine that does exactly what OPs children need to do with it. And, with the leverage performance wise, if they wanted to play a flash game or whatever, that would be fully within their ability.
And, may I add, that you are assuming like a retard that OPs kids are old enough to even utilize the advantages that a microcontroller might have. If OPs kids were old enough to even be able to understand how to use a microcontroller, they would be buying their own computers.
Perhaps, it isn't me that should leave, but you that should. You clearly lack both intelligence and common sense to avoid being a mindless consumer that gives their kids microcontrollers for grade-school level homework. Make sure you take your disgusting reddit spacing with you on the way out.
It isn't better than the optiplex though. Not in a million years. The optiplex in question runs circles around the shitty Android development board OP bought. And it's roughly 1/6 the price.
And, with that, maybe you should get some professional help. After all, you're here right along with me shit posting about your shitty development board.

You didn't read OP's statement well at all and again made assumptions. But I am going to try this from a different angle.

Because you can't see that your goals for a device would possibly be different than someone else's goals, let me ask you this.

What are you getting from all this shitposting? What is it you are trying to DO here?

>The optiplex in question runs circles around the shitty Android development board OP bought. And it's roughly 1/6 the price.
Show us some benchmark tests, posts some actual pricing proof, and then expand each one in both hardware and software to achieve a specific goal. Let's see it, big guy.

What are YOU trying to do? Why do you keep replying to me? Are you so mad, so SEETHING that you have to keep replying? Are you that devoid of attention and love?

Why can't you answer the question?

Kek the dumbshit said exactly the same thing said to him this whole thread.

>bought an xu4 for the kids so they can use it for simple homework

Attached: .png (789x900, 21K)

>tfw my $30 pi plays 1080p videos just fine