/wt/ - Watch Thread - Dufour is God Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=m986siwzefs

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

> Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

Old bread:

Attached: Philippe-Dufour-Duality-00-Platinum-5.jpg (1600x1200, 369K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

£3500 on eBay. Somebody blow their savings on this.

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1170, 1.09M)

First for the superior parachute webbing strap.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180623_122725.jpg (2210x2210, 2.06M)

Continuing from the last thread, that’s exactly what I hate about this “hobby”. Any cunt can spend £4000 on a Rolex and automatically become more of a watch enthusiast.
It pains me tha there are thousands of people who own Rolexes and Omegas that know nothing about the technology or heritage and don’t care.

Attached: image.jpg (275x183, 39K)

Prettier than the OP.

Again dude, not shaming on you for being poor and wearing a shitty watch but let me change the words.

Let’s say you find this forums where people post their gaming rigs, that go from $5k to $7k and you say “hey this seems like a nice community, I’d like to join” but you got no money and you have a $200 Walmart laptop and still decide to post pics of it, specs and shit.

Then people start making fun of you and you, instead of realizing your mistake blame them because they have higher standards than yours and can’t relate to your $200 laptop.

That’s the thing with you people, you are that $200 Walmart laptop guy that gets bullied in a forum and doesn’t realize he doesn’t belong there.

And no, I don’t care if you are poor. If you are joining the game you are playing with the same standards than everybody, nobody is gonna suck your dick and give you some free validation because you blow your year saving in a $2000 seiko

>tfw discord link is still not in the OP

Attached: 1529950965683.jpg (557x589, 49K)

Not that guy but that’s exactly right.
At the end of the day, being a watch enthusiast is spending thousands on a luxury item. It’s a shitty, materialistic, non-progressive interest.

Go for a vintage then

>pretending that you represent everyone in this thread

Just buy a watch doesn't make you an enthusiast. At least with a Rolex there are things to discuss about them. There is so much technical smarts and material science involved in their production. What is there to say about a $50 shitter?

Fuck off

t. $200 laptop guy

Except that technological and horological merit are not correlated with price in at all the same way as computer performance.

You think this because your only interest in watches is in purchasing their perceived brand status and you have no underlying interest in the technical or horological aspects of watches.

Lawyeranon never talked down to anyone in these threads. That's because even though he had a collection worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, he was interested in the technical and horological aspects of watches and not in status signaling by brand whoring.

How does it feel playing gatekeeper and larping for a standard you can't even keep yourself?

Where is windy, beads and tudor?

Attached: 5049F048-CFA8-4B0C-8131-E45A3BFC4997.jpg (473x311, 41K)

Fuck off

Shut up. Don't jinx us pls.

excuse me?

The ChinkBay faggot is still here trolling, he's just using text posts rather than images to troll at the moment. Sadly most of the posters here don't seem to be able to figure out that most of the angry shitposts in the few threads are him going back to the MO he used to use before he started ChinkBay posting.

Oh look, that card can pay for half of your fake

Here. Discuss the technology and wonderful machinery behind this watches.

I’m sure you guys don’t mind, you aren’t here about the price right? Prove me these watches have something worth discussing like rolex, omega, Tudor and such

Attached: 52C9020E-41B8-4D35-B942-2442B7163758.jpg (512x288, 39K)

He said "fuck off"

More accurate than the automatics

Indiglo > lume

What’s wrong seiko brigade? Didn’t every watch have something interesting to discuss about it?

The Iron man series is a decent budget alternate to a G-Shock, the Expedition is a nice entry level quartz field watch. Both make good beaters as they have the inherent set & forget quality of quartz and are cheap enough that you won't mind them getting bashed about..

More heritage than a fake tudor

At least it's not a seiko.

So speaking of shitters I got some new straps for mine.

Attached: 063018ballstraps.jpg (1200x600, 601K)

Nope. Try again

Attached: 4697BC64-BBCF-46C1-8D04-6EDCB4137BE6.jpg (332x443, 40K)

Unironically this, the Ironman series is a favourite of presidents.

Attached: 7b28c6c.jpg (620x894, 103K)

But why though?

So what are the personas / styles he has done?

Because why would you even enquire about those silly cunts?

I honestly hope we can get rid of the seiko watches.

I’m tired of redditors spamming them.

Stop wasting posts by even mentioning them

The first one looks like the standard strap on a Citizen BM8180.

Attached: citizen-strap-eco-drive-180-men_s-watch-bm8180-03e_5.jpg (900x900, 104K)

At least it isn't fake.

I feel like you have your anology a bit wrong.

Imagine you entering a forum where people post their cars, most of which are nice hondas, or chevys (or whatever, I don't know cars) and generally mid-level or low level cars that have some historical and technological merits that are worth admiring. These people have the knowledge and the enthusiasm to enjoy it on a deeper level too. Some of them even have a couple of cool bmws and porches too, but they are still posting in a respectful manner. Then you enter and start posting your Lamborghini, while larping about how poor everyone else is. "Haha, why would you drive a honda, haha get out of my thread!!! This thread is only about lamborghini now haha!!"

That's lamborghini guy is you.

My Lord has started losing 15 minutes per day after being within 2 seconds per day for weeks since I got it? Could this be the battery? In my experience quartz watches stay accurate until they stop when the battery dies but I’ve never had one from the 70s before.

Attached: image.jpg (1601x3328, 2.71M)

See:
@66559574

So far only one loser has worn it in-office. If you would have said Vulcain or Rolex I would have agreed.

Perhaps an upboat friendly aggregator would better fit your needs. Come back when you've matured a bit, kid

It looks like the standard strap on a lot of inexpensive watches, that's actually kind of why I bought it. Throw it on there and nobody notices I'm wearing a $2500 watch, especially since nobody knows what the fuck Ball is either.

Good a seiko poster less.

Except watches are mean to be expensive.

You got your analogy wrong.

*tips seiko*

I don't like any of those straps, but I think a square edged Cordura strap could work on that watch, like the ones Watch Gecko.

Founded in 1854, they have a pretty long history and heritage behind them, silly for you to even ask this question.

A quick googling suggests that it's indicative of the battery almost being out. Put in a new battery and see if that fixes it.

Now that the SARB watches have been discontinued and prices have lifted up, is SARY the peak value per dollar watch? Or an Orient Star? Or some microbrand?

Attached: presage-srp527.jpg (484x725, 102K)

Will do. Thanks.

What are your thoughts on vintage led watches?
Do you own one?

Attached: pulsar_led.jpg (1024x683, 299K)

No, there are watches and then there are luxury watches. There are far more affordable wathes in the world than there are luxury watches.

More importantly, this thread consist in a majority of posters without the same means as the few rolex posters that also hang around here. If you want to tell us that this thread is meant for you and a couple of other rolex posters, then I got news for you. There would not be a /wt/ anymore of the rest left this thread because you'd be 4-5 guys boring each other to death.

However the most expensive watches are the only ones worth talking about.

You are wrong again

SAPPHIRE @ 5000000 degrees

Attached: 635srfd41fg65x4dg65d4fgb65d4fg.jpg (1431x1395, 452K)

Okay fatty

Don't take the bait, m8

"Haha the lamborghinis and the ferraris are the only cars worth talking about, please stop posting all other cars - thank you"

This is actually an interesting question to me, but it's going to take a little research.

I know. For some reason I tend to reply baits. Just can't help myself.

>Fatty
Literally wot

Attached: 654ersg65s4dgf65ds41fg6d.jpg (1918x1512, 846K)

So my watch got stolen last night. Forgot to leave it in the car and the girl ran off with it this morning. I feel like shit dudes

“Hey why don’t we talk 300 posts about Chevy!”

>”why people have better things than I do!!!”

"hey I hate chevys but I'll hang out in a thread filled with chevy lovers anyway and jesus be my witness I will post my lamborghini as much as possible with rude remarks to anyone else who can't afford it"

Again, there’s nothing interesting about seikos, all your models look the same for most of us and you might as well get a $7 Casio

Fair enough, it looks pretty good too desu.

Actually on /o/ they love old shitboxes and complain about how supercars are too expensive for the performance they bring compared to a corvette

Post Seikos

Attached: IMG_20180630.jpg (3120x4160, 3.23M)

STOP REPLYING TO SHITPOSTS AND BAIT

Attached: Seiko-Prospex-SRP775-Turtle-main-thumb-1440xauto-30160.jpg (1440x960, 1.36M)

watch is cool but illumination sucks. Says it's luminous but it isn't.

Attached: 61khjP9FzoL._UX679_.jpg (679x679, 66K)

>$5 have been deposited in your seiko club account

A patek or a JLC is a hell of a lot more interesting than a seiko, but a rolex isn't really much more interesting than a seiko at all, if we're being truly honest.

Gladly.

Attached: 6584t6tg54g.jpg (2016x1346, 734K)

Also, post some case backs.

Attached: 24234134t52w4e1tg35wer1tewt.jpg (2420x744, 715K)

It's amazing the neat vintage watches you can get for under $300 if you know what to look for and are patient.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180427_125321.jpg (2389x2389, 2.56M)

To be fair most of people here just got their Rolex from their parents or they are probably fake

Nice! Upvote you are a gentleman and scholar

> A patek or a JLC is a hell of a lot more interesting than a seiko
Completely true.

> but a rolex isn't really much more interesting than a seiko at all
Read this and say that again - hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex

Attached: 20180301_151554.jpg (2312x3023, 2.93M)

>this kills the seikofag

Attached: 736DFFAE-7AF1-45B9-8D61-093324AE402A.jpg (1500x1500, 201K)

>offer to replace the battery in friend's Nixon so he doesn't have to go to a battery monkey
>send him a picture of the interior
>"Wow, it's so small!"
>Tell him if it ever breaks it will cost $11 to replace
>"But I paid well over $100 for the watch itself!"
>He's now looking at an SKX009
Oops.

Attached: IMG_20180629_185644.jpg (3480x4640, 2.95M)

That actually looks fucking nice.
Where to cop?

I wish. I do this for free.

Attached: 20180610_211510.jpg (2419x1358, 830K)

>A Rolex designed for gay pride
Seems you're the fag

Attached: rose-gives-finger.gif (492x196, 485K)

>40 jewels on that Dufour.
Damn, why use that many when 0 is enough?

This brings up an interesting point. Seiko is known for having good watches for the budget, but every decade or so they decide a movement is "too good" and stick it in a watch that costs double or more. Eventually for automatics and value it's going to look like:

Seiko 5 -> Orient Bambino -> gap -> Hamilton -> Nomos Club

SARY uses 4R36 which is kind of like 6R15 but has looser tolerances and less life. So if you can cop one for below $400 it isn't so bad.

Attached: Screen_Shot_2018-02-03_at_15.10.24_large.png (480x425, 515K)

Look at that tiny movement.

Attached: Mr Woof.gif (255x255, 1.1M)

Watches like that only entrench my love for Seiko deeper.
>JUST
At least they got that part right.

Attached: 65rt4j654fg6h54fg6h5f4gh.jpg (1841x1498, 506K)

Oh no, oh please no

Rolex rep. It’s not online unless you want to pay 1k extra and probably get scammed.

Rainbow Datejust II, about 8k-8.3 max

Black Rolex’s are surprisingly nice compared to the gold and silver versions

Nope, lookup the Rolex rainbow meaning

Attached: 1D93332A-27BA-495E-A69D-9FCCDE138B70.jpg (1200x800, 108K)

Something wrong with my seiko?

I've actually been looking for a good Cordura for it, but I haven't found any that suit it. I'm trying to avoid "military" colors simply because I wear them too much as it is, and I don't think this watch looks good on black. I've been thinking a blue one might be nice, but none of the local stores have any and I hate ordering that kind of shit sight unseen.

Somebody also suggested a Perlon strap a while back and I think that could be cool too. I'm a little concerned about whether it'll fit, though, the springbar sits very close to the case on this watch.

Attached: image.jpg (2993x2387, 3.71M)

Hey there lady. You got the watch on the wrong hand.

what's your SR?

Superb wrist game.

Attached: IMG_1101.jpg (960x960, 158K)

It's a gay rainbow whatever Lolex says

But I’m left handed and don’t want to put it on my dick hand.

Attached: wristgame.jpg (640x640, 87K)

Cry more seikofag

Attached: C0DE6449-8377-4036-AC2B-790CEA4FC088.jpg (560x520, 70K)

What ref?