/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiofuel memes

Saturday Night Fever Edition

ITT: Down with shoulder speakers

Attached: Welcome-Patrician.jpg (1778x1000, 1.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/pictures/the-audiophiliacs-top-10-best-sounding-bookshelf-speakers-pictures/11/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ye Olde Thread:

Attached: Like a fine woman a speaker must be versatile.jpg (1024x683, 141K)

>Not every driver is suited for horn loading, if that is the question.

Literally every single driver can benefit from proper horn setup. Better efficiency and higher SPL which means lower distortion also

not that other guy, but i don't like the compression effect of the horn

Attached: his wifes son.jpg (5184x3456, 2.37M)

no, since you're literally loading the driver, as in changing the acoustic impedance by changing the way it couples to the acoustic space you're changing a whole bunch of parameters and most likely ruining the whole performance of the driver. you need to consider every part of the design from the start to get any benefit

AHAHAHAHA

Any good bookshelf speaker brands?
I only known Audioengine

You must choose.

The One. Or The Three.

Are you a Man? Choose!

Attached: IMG_1014.jpg (2000x1333, 876K)

this is actually a good run-down
cnet.com/pictures/the-audiophiliacs-top-10-best-sounding-bookshelf-speakers-pictures/11/

just watch out because its not ordered by price

Attached: speakers YAY.jpg (592x800, 64K)

The cloth is not put on in a tidy manner. Low build quality.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1066, 101K)

so is klipsch officially dead now

No lmao

Attached: 20170531_211604(2).jpg (3000x1688, 1.21M)

Attached: 20180518_124734_HDR.jpg (1425x802, 189K)

Attached: 20180518_084130.jpg (2667x1500, 611K)

Attached: 20180518_083711_HDR.jpg (2667x1500, 1.15M)

yeah these are old designs
but why is everything new from them garbage and even getting worse by the minute?

The bulk of sales is surround sets now. People don't have three times the budget so they have to design cheap shit compared to the stereo era.

Attached: a-massive-soundsystem-stack-at-the-great-antipodean-reggae-soundsystem-carnival-in-sydney.jpg (1050x525, 127K)

>but why is everything new from them garbage and even getting worse by the minute?
The only old design are the CF4 (without covers) the rest are still in current production and in top tier unless you count the pro series

how many millions do those things cost?

>active speakers

Besides lsr 305 what would people recommend for pc speakers at that price range?

The veneer seems nice. I hope it's not vinyl.

Attached: 1906578-40127341-2560-1440.jpg (1050x590, 95K)

>Every single driver can benefit from horn loading.

You're an idiot.

Folded horn resonances may counteract the reduced excursion with woofers.
Extreme high level inside the throat presents a new problem (wave steepening), not that it is relevant for any home use.

Covering the driver does the compression in a compression driver. A standard dome can be used.

I love word salad.

Attached: 1201278-2-kef-c15-home-stereo-book-shelf-speakers.jpg (1100x825, 363K)

Dead? How absurd. Oh, excuse me. I must water my grass.

Attached: R-28PF-Lifestyle-1.jpg (2000x1359, 624K)

so.... do you have a woman chained up in the other corner of that basement

noice

Attached: oYGZKwudWY_ZyFISf676mAB8XWVRk8HkpISn-zeG2Wk.jpg (1024x768, 122K)

how can just putting a horn in front of a speaker change it so much

not sure
lemme check the price

Fuck is this?

Attached: what.png (158x180, 67K)

Ye, it says real wood veneer on their site.

Attached: rs_DSCF2602.jpg (2144x1608, 2.05M)

they run from $450 to $850
i guess they're convenient
but for a 6.5 inch woofer design at $860 i'd rather get a passive system that's two orders better than a bluetoother

Attached: A1WxJ-ELWWL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 668K)

thats ART daddy-O
you Dig?

Attached: now leaving squaresville.jpg (759x800, 137K)

based winch-strap poster

Attached: whoa.jpg (800x600, 52K)

Active stereo speakers where only one speaker has the amp always come off as low end to me.

Attached: tiny_top_hat__chocolate_cupcake_by_tinytophats-d4s9hp2.jpg (700x900, 642K)

it is if that thing really powers all of them. 200w is not enough even for the sub alone.

Will confirm it's real wood veneer same as the Three and One

Attached: 1470778154953.jpg (1208x2144, 1.6M)

that does not matter if it sounds like shit. they could spend that money on sound quality instead of meme materials.

Attached: omgitsobig.jpg (620x413, 54K)

>millions
La Scala ii (left) are 8k pair new from Klipsch but a used set or original La Scala are 1000-1400.

Cornwall iii (middle) are 4400 pair new from Klipsch and a used pair of v1 or v2 can be had for 800-1600 generally

RF7 iii (right) are 3600 pair new from Klipsch. They are fairly new so I can't say on used prices but I would expect 2k-2800 range

>being upset at answering the question at hand

???

constructive wave, etc, like a lens with light

Attached: reflections inside a horn at HF.jpg (873x507, 59K)

I really want to know if the new reproduction La Scalas and Cornwalls sound better than the old ones to justify the new price

Wasting resources on non essentials is bad of course but I tend to make an exception for a nice pair of speakers getting a decent finish.

I prefer that it have a good appearance as well as sound quality.

Like, as example, this is a photo I just took of my living room.

Attached: La-Scala-Lifestyle-A.jpg (2000x1250, 319K)

i doubt Klipsch actually changed much (what aint broke, etc)

they just added some style to what was essentially wood boards

They raised up the woofer in the CW3 to reduce cabinet resonances but other than that I would say get the CW2. The originals have all the drivers mounted behind the motor board instead of flush up front. Originals have metal horns instead of the plastic ones now though

And this is my wife in our reconverted-mill summer house.

Attached: RSB-11_1.jpg (2000x1125, 356K)

Attached: 88 millino results.png (952x865, 193K)

It's amazing how fast Google indexes these message boards. I bet they already have webcrawled this photo I just took of my new Cornwalls.

Attached: klipsch_cornwall-lifestyle-3_djdisconz_zh.jpg (800x450, 367K)

Rack between speakers: wrong.

What? Oh you're right. I should put my turntable up close in between. Like this photo I just took of my den set up. I have to get a new turntable because it keeps skipping.

Attached: The-Sixes-Lifestyle.jpg (800x800, 225K)

how would it sound, bros?

Attached: interstellar (28).jpg (640x480, 71K)

-poor channel separation
-poor signal to noise ratio
-no useful response below 60Hz
-high intermodulation
and of course it sounds worse the closer to center you get

it has some too quiet parts. the really loud parts that come after the quiet ones are not fun at all.

If it ain't 45 it aint gonna jive

I own this.
it's not good.
it's very incomplete

god i wish they'd finally release the whole damn thing

excellent

Attached: CtoP Beatnik Girls.jpg (1366x1352, 697K)

i used the cd version tho but im sure that the volume level thing is just as terrible on the other versions too

Attached: l.png (661x713, 67K)

What is good for a desktop pc in a small room sub 500? Something that will be used for video games and movies mostly.
Gonna sit close to them.
Is it the Kef Q100 since they got no back port and are coaxial they just gonna shove everything in my face up close?

jbl lsr 305

Klipsch promedia 2.1

A bass wave is going to reflect of a wall no matter what way a port is pointing. Acoustic energy at those frequencies radiates in all directions.

is there any cheap way to do room treatment or is the only option something that will cost thousands

There's tons of diy instructions on absorbers using rockwool, which is the most bang/buck you can get

Not him, but I've seen someone buy some frames, cover them in a certain fabric and hang those up. I think it cost him around 200 dollars for five panels.

>Harman-bot 3000
>powered by buyer's remorse

Attached: 1543985434.jpg (642x643, 105K)

>word salad.
Regarding wave steepening:
Acoustic wave propagation has the typical disclaimer of being approximately linear for small perturbations of the medium, as sound propagation is not really linear.
Given a large amplitude, on the compression stroke of the acoustic wave, the speed of the wave increases beyond that of the nominal speed of sound. The resultant asymmetry as the wave piles up at the compression fronts, the steepening, is the onset of shock front behavior. The weak shock waves give a particular timbre unique to certain horn instruments (brasses) at very high levels, which horn loudspeakers should not strive to impart onto the signal.
This may concern high-power compression horns being used in large venues, but not relevant for domestic use.

The issue with rear porting doesn't have too much to do with room treatment, but more about how close you can shove the back of the speaker to the wall. Some people have the speaker almost literally crammed in, blocking ventilation and affecting port frequency. A spacing of 4-6 in/10-15cm will normally suffice to decouple the port from the wall.
>room treatment
Depends on the frequency range you want to work on. A relatively thick panel (10-15cm) of Rockwool does about as much as you need a general absorber to do in the midrange and highs. Below that, tuned bass traps and careful subwoofer and speaker placement turn out to be the more useful options. Bass traps are not cheap, but you can use EQ and move the speakers around for no cost.

I have found that having a decently oriented setup with a good sub will make almost all music sound better, even low quality 128kbps songs. Except for DOOM 2016's soundtrack. What an awful mix.

no one likes being shouted out through a megaphone; ITS LIKE ALL CAPS; thus horn haters
i usually put my back ported speakers 3 feet away from walls

Attached: se_ke5583-img423x600-1498081788jufaob8389.jpg (423x600, 33K)

thoughts on this setup? moving into a new place soon and thinking about upgrading from my headphone setup

amp: Schiit Vidar
dac: Schiit Gungnir (maybe multibit?)
speakers: Omega Audio Alnico Monitor (either compact or super)

+bluesound node to stream files from desktop, or convert my desktop to dedicated music machine

I haven't followed new products for the past year or so, mostly working off recommendations and reviews from SBAF. The above would work out to ~4k new.

Attached: super_alnico.jpg (797x1200, 98K)

Stay away from schiit, especially the DAC.

I have the magni and modi - both are comparable to more expensive equipment I've had in the past.

Any reason you mention to stay away? Anything else competitive at the lower end these days?

the fuck kinda ugly trash is that

oh, user, whats your set up like

>amp: Schiit Vidar
>dac: Schiit Gungnir (maybe multibit?)
lol

>mostly working off recommendations and reviews from SBAF
LOL

>Any reason you mention to stay away
Their DACs aren't transparent and have lots of issues. You're paying for name and marketing more than you're paying for quality. And their QA is severely lacking.

>$2000 for those and they don't even give you a frequency chart to look at

Attached: 1359489378923.gif (440x330, 2.87M)

got to get the R18 at some point

Attached: shot of enitre setup.jpg (2256x1504, 1.4M)

if they would provide a fr of this audiophool garbage noone would bought it

There is probably a huge dip and peak in there somewhere that is smooth and crisp and oh so musical! Warmest most life like sound you've ever heard!

"Full-range 6.5" driver
Dual cone with twin rolled edge surround
Smoother high frequency transition at 11KHz, and open soundstage
Open, cast-aluminum basket, which greatly reduces back wave bounce back
Basket incorporates venting to keep motor cool
Powerful Alnico motor
93dB SPL
8 Ohm"

meh

I think the R18 never entered production. Not enough demand.

r8 my ultra budget setup.
PC connected with SPDIF to:
yamaha rx-v795a, got it 8 years ago for free
some kind of 20 year old polk sub. could use new cone rubber. got it for free with the rest of a shitty polk 5.1
onkyo hs-20 front speakers, $10 for the pair at a thrift store
some kinda jbl center, father gave it to me when he upgraded his home theater
tiny little polk surround pair, came with the sub.
newest thing is the AKG k7xx, $200.

Attached: 2017-11-29 18.42.47s.jpg (2000x1125, 532K)

qt
very nice match of speakers to screen

Why wouldn't it?
This post mentions modes that form inside the horn. A problem for horn designs, especially one with hard edges inside. These are resonances, and they can make peaks inside the audio range. At the boundaries, horn lip or diffraction edges, a cancellation wave can form, which messes with your goal of using the horn to control how the sound is radiated.

I've never liked full-ranges. Always seemed one of those weird audiophile pretensions. Have you enjoyed it?
As for the Schiit, I have a distaste for the resistor DAC craze that has taken hold in certain corners. I've seen mixed feedback on their amplifiers.

That was just a theoretical setup. I've seen a lot of mixed opinions on full-ranges. My interest lies in saving a bit of space and having a simpler room design.

I'll definitely be tweaking the setup before committing to anything. Always good to get opinions from different communities

Left channel blocked/10

Love this. Although I think you could change out the chairs for something else to put the speakers on, but comfy otherwise.

I've been meaning to ask this question actually. What's the different between streaming Spotify Vs. having your own collection. I'm entering the highend audio world and would like to enjoy it

Streaming will never match the same quality as files or physical.

What bit rate would spotify be compared to flac? I want to go all out and get a 12tb hard drive and download literally everything I can and organize it

If I recall correctly Spotify's highest quality stream is comparable to 256?

"up to" 320 on High and 166 standard

Okay, I hear that's pretty average.
now, what's the safest way to download a butt ton of music, without paying for it of course

deezloader, torrents, mega

Is that bad compared to the latter?