/wt/ - Watch technology general

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

> Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

Old bread: 404

Attached: watchmaker-anons-pic.jpg (4160x2340, 2.7M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KCTfx9IUnjc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for dog save the watch thread

Attached: TimexVconic.jpg (2000x1000, 661K)

Attached: 5915B.jpg (417x405, 151K)

Nigger mods, calm your tits!

Attached: IMG_20180605_141119_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.26M)

Attached: ultra-rare-mobilis-tourbillion-pocket-watch-with-an-unusual-dial.jpg (2267x1945, 423K)

Only movement shots allowed ITT

Attached: IMG_20171010_205614.jpg (4160x3120, 3.36M)

Only the highest quality plastic.

youtu.be/KCTfx9IUnjc I feel like we were promised the sun and moon with this and nothing has been delivered. Also what conclusion was drawn about the slowmo gif the other day? The second hand looked like it was doing one step after a random number between 3 and 5 oscillations. Is the movement not actually developed enough for mass production yet?

the fuck is wrong with mods? what the fuck happened?

Attached: TrainCompleteBarrelToBalanceDscn1823-2.jpg (500x375, 85K)

>I feel like we were promised the sun and moon with this and nothing has been delivered.

Attached: citizen_0100.jpg (1440x1022, 283K)

>say sorry
>all my frens on /wt/ still hate me

Attached: 1489037555575.png (655x509, 28K)

you think you can salvage some of that?

its actually glass, and its effectiveness would scare you.

Attached: tourbillon3.jpg (800x588, 118K)

Attached: De-Bethune-DB28-Skybridge-(15).jpg (524x640, 119K)

That winding train is fucking haute horlogerie. The only reason the slavs did it like that so that the running train had more space available, so the wheels wouldn't overlap with the balance, mainspring, etc. so they'd get a thinner movement overall.

Relax fren, we will always love you in the end.

Attached: 635srfd41fg65x4dg65d4fgb65d4fg.jpg (1431x1395, 452K)

(reposting in new bread)
What oil did you use for the mod?

That's an ETA G10, it cannot be disassembled, only replaced. I've already completed the watch mostly, only thing left is to repaint two subdial hands.

The hands were originally turquoise, but they were rusted fucked, so I got two replacement ones that needed to be painted, but I only had emerald paint. It was too far off from the original color, so now I'm waiting for some turquoise model paint to arrive.

Attached: G10.211__88989.1477090339.500.750.gif (500x500, 121K)

that whole movement is p amazing, 10/10 most robust foolproof ultra thin movement ever made.

Attached: chineseduplex.jpg (499x370, 53K)

Synthetic motor oil.

Seek the love of Jesus Christ and the lord our God and you will always find forgiveness

Reminder that if your watch cost less than $2500 it is a shitter.

Attached: FAGGOT.jpg (640x640, 81K)

ok thanks

thats kinda a shame, still good that you're going through the trouble of actually restoring it proberly, proud of u user

Attached: IMG_8505.jpg (2448x3264, 1.46M)

>that pic
Can putting women's watch movements into the barrel recesses of pocketwatch movements be a new meme?

I already have this, customer's old Chaika in my 1919 Waltham (lewd). Shame the Waltham just doesn't want to work properly.

Attached: IMG_20180320_112026_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.19M)

A reminder for all the Jap crap posters:

Let’s say you find this forums where people post their gaming rigs, that go from $5k to $7k and you say “hey this seems like a nice community, I’d like to join” but you got no money and you have a $200 Walmart laptop and still decide to post pics of it, specs and shit.

Then people start making fun of you and you, instead of realizing your mistake blame them because they have higher standards than yours and can’t relate to your $200 laptop.

That’s the thing with you people, you are that $200 Walmart laptop guy that gets bullied in a forum and doesn’t realize he doesn’t belong there.

And no, I don’t care if you are poor. If you are joining the game you are playing with the same standards than everybody, nobody is gonna suck your dick and give you some free validation because you blow your year saving in a $2000 seiko

Attached: disgusting subhuman.jpg (719x517, 37K)

The poljot/luch 2209 is imho the best soviet 3 hander movement that is easy to find, followed close by vostok 2209.

kek, im out of school for the summer so sadly i cant make any OC but id love that as a meme

Attached: IMG_4498 - Copy.jpg (720x1278, 135K)

Did someone say Japshit?

Are those modded bridges? What machine did you do it on?

Attached: IMG_20180318_135859_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.57M)

Just use your smartphone, idiots.

I've done both the 22mm Vostoks and the later 24mm movements a few times by now, and while I do think the 24xx is indeed an improvement, the old 22xx was never a bad movement.

Pic sort of related, the left is a 2209, the right is a 2409 Amphibia. Both have been servicedm restored to waterproof condition and relumed.

Attached: 20180616_115553.jpg (4160x2340, 3.25M)

i am consistently amazed at how , robust, resilient and accurate my 114270 is.

the damn thing stays at near +/-0spd no matter massive temperature changes, shocks and vibrations. it's an amazing technological achievement by rolex.

Attached: IMG_20180513_065218.jpg (3069x3524, 2.11M)

>buy boctok
>supposed to be -30/+60
>actually runs +1

Attached: comfy (5).jpg (253x229, 19K)

just some (((geneva))) striping on a russian shitter. made these on a press drill with a bit of abrasive rubber in a pin vise. ive found better ways since, a circular bit of wood with some fine grit sandpaper does the job nicely

Attached: IMG_8609.jpg (3264x2448, 1.91M)

I might try that once, borrow my pop's bench drill and refinish some otherwise bare, shitty, entry-level movements, like Seiko 5, early quartz, slavshit, etc. movements.

>disgusting subhuman.jpg
kek

Certina DS is pretty sick.

200m water resistance, standard shock protection from incabloc inside an in house movement and a proprietary shock protection system that places the movement in a ring, allowing it to move in all directions in the event that a shock is encountered.

Attached: Certina-DS-Blue-Ring-Automatic-002.jpg (1000x1000, 108K)

eh, i'd still put it in both of her poop chute's.

also
>cost of a watch is the only marker of its quality
kys now user. you clearly have zero appreciation for watches beyond whether archie luxury approves of it.

Attached: 1512685726284.jpg (480x864, 106K)

Does anyone have experience with a fake rolex? I almost bought one that looked nice in mexico last week but the dude wouldnt come down lower than $50 for it and i didnt want to pay that much for something that might be shit

>fake rolex
>$50
Even the $500 ones are shit.

Attached: 1486551489538.jpg (1528x1530, 188K)

How come fake rolexes that you pay 500 for is so fucking horrible and bad, while a sarb033 is unironically better than an explorer and it cost 300-400? I always found that strange.

Attached: SARB033.jpg (1200x731, 128K)

Since we are semi-/fa/ these days, can we post a dress grid that includes our watches?

> $50
> i didnt want to pay that much for something that might be shit

jesus wept. you expect a watch going for 1/100th the price of the cheapest Rolex to be good?

Yeah i get its not the real thing, I just want one that actually works as a watch and "looks" like a rolex. I dont really care if rolex experts can tell its fake, i dont really interact with anyone who wears rolex on a daily basis anyway

Only the trolls make it /fa/, they want to destroy the thread.

A little bit of /fa/ wouldn't hurt us. Are you guys the kind of people who care nothing about how you dress?

I have a VERY fake Breitling on my workbench that needs a new crystal. The owner says it's a $200 rep. In reality it's more like a $20 chink shitter a gypsy would try to sell you in a dirty subway underpass.

The new scam seems to be not selling fakes as genuines (people probably aren't falling for those anymore), but selling low-quality fakes as expensive reps.

Attached: Tom_chinese.jpg (880x643, 161K)

Japshit owner git out.

Attached: d2c90a5b3b16212b8ff5fdc3a06200bc.jpg (4320x3240, 1.82M)

Do not reply to Beady.

If I want to discuss the aesthetics and design of a watch I'd ask /wt/. If I wanted to discuss what to wear with a watch I'd ask /fa/

I mean there's $20 watches that are good as far as being just a working watch, i just wanted a fake rolex that is made with decent parts and is functional as a watch

Post tough watches.

Attached: rangeman 9400.jpg (500x667, 233K)

Attached: 654ersg65s4dgf65ds41fg6d.jpg (1918x1512, 846K)

But who better to ask than your regular friends in the thread you hang out in every single day?

They wouldn't be shit if the Chinese actually cared about quality control. Fake Subs (only the black one, the hulk is totally the wrong shade of green and the GMT doesn't even attempt to get the bezel right) are at the point where they are practically indistinguishable from a foot or two away, meaning that they don't have any obvious "tells" such as parts that are the wrong size or anything. However, under directional lighting it becomes obvious that the finishing on components like the hour markers and hands is total dogshit, it blows my mind that they haven't got that kind of stuff to a better quality. Plus, they always fuck up the simple stuff like SEL fitment and the alignment of the hour markers unless you continually red light them.

If the Chinese wanted to they could make a 1:1 Rolex (sans movement), the JF grape oyster is a good example of this, but I think the reason they don't do it is because fake watch fags are literally retarded. They point out flaws then say "well you won't notice it on the wrist" or say "99% of other people won't see it", they totally miss the point of what watches are all about. A watch is a small thing that's meant to be impressive because it's fucking hard to make tiny components that have super good quality, they are more of the mentality "heh I'm tricking everyone into thinking I have a Rolex" and don't really care that the watch is a bag of shit.

The ARF 2824 one will do you this. The Noob V9 is a closer replica but has shit quality control right now and are hard to get a hold of, many sellers are selling the V7 and V8 as the V9.

Any of you guys want to buy my sarb035??

Comes with all the original links and box

Attached: sarb.jpg (443x332, 20K)

> thread you hang out in every single day?
that sounds depressing as fuck. this is Jow Forums, it doesn't matter that it's a general. basic board rules apply.

Fuck off dog

(Someone buy my 5206 lm special from me)

Attached: lm.jpg (351x419, 16K)

> Caring about spending $20 or $50 on a fake.
Bro. It's $50, not your rent.

I can't with peace of mind buy a watch that's been worn on the right wrist instead of the left one.

Reminder that vintage quartz is acceptable quartz.

Attached: crot_1975mov_esa918x_new52.jpg (1000x750, 147K)

>But who better to ask than your regular friends in the thread you hang out in every single day?
Jesus Christ please tell me this isn't a real thought you have.
And you would be better off basing how you dress off of the people you are around in real life every day. Fashion is more or less just the art of fitting in. Until you get to high fashion meme shit.

Don't reply. It's just beady being a twat.

Asking price?

Any quartz is acceptable quartz. Sadly the MDV-106 is the most accurate watch I own, including G-shocks. 3 months since setting and it's sitting at -2 seconds from the atomic clock.

Attached: 65rt4j654fg6h54fg6h5f4gh.jpg (1841x1498, 506K)

Fuck that's beautiful

Mate. Im a very fair bloke. Just Not sure what they are worth at the moment otherwise id give you a price. If you are interested would you like to talk via email? Obviously not going to let it go for pennies but im not going to ask full retail for it

Are invictas decent at all?

I take it from the mate and bloke you are not on the North American Continent? Probably not going to be worth it when you factor in shipping and stuff. Which model is it?

They are shit bordering on full shit fashion watches the likes of MVMT.

Literally what is wrong with MVMT?

Attached: 1494739508131.gif (230x175, 1.94M)

It's literally a fashion brand that make fashion-tier watches.

In what way are invictas similar to mvmts? They are completely different styles

Cheap Chinese tier mehcanics, shit QC, shit build quality. Another brand that only sells looks without mechanical quality to back it up. That's how.

Considering you went right to "styles" and didn't stop to think about it tells me it might be right up your alley.

Attached: 1485788238585.gif (229x176, 987K)

that is an oddly satisfying movement

fun fact: bovet/fleurier pocketwatches almost exclusively sold to the chinese market. they used a rare crabclaw or double duplex escapement, which was actually very inaccurate but caused the seconds hand to move only once a second. this was intentional; the chinese couldnt stand a crawling seconds hand.

Attached: ch_esc.jpg (396x442, 41K)

>tfw no German military Orfina or Tutima

Good God man. MVMT is $5 guts put inside gaudy new age fashion faggotry bodies. If you only want something on your wrist to flash at soiboiz and soigurlz then I guess they do the trick if you don't mind looking like an asshat. If you care about the tool on your wrist then they are literal cancer.

>new month
>have to spend 45 minutes setting my vostok to the right date and time

Attached: 1500126461947.png (688x578, 32K)

No. From the lucky country (Australia) however i did ship a pair of pants to the us for a reasonable price. I'll get a postage quote and get back to you

Got a quote to the good ol usa and it looks to be around $20 shipping

Which model SARB is it my Aussie homeskillet?

Seiko sarb035 mah boi. My internet is crapping out. Feel free to shoot me an email on [email protected]

Its in pretty good condition

Why does it take so long?

Attached: 654sdg654s6df54.jpg (2016x1512, 682K)

The seconds hacking is dumb.

>it's an amazing technological achievement by rolex.
It really is. The 31xx is without question one of the best series produced three handed movements ever made. It's combination of accuracy, durability and serviceability is quite a marvel.

>The new scam seems to be not selling fakes as genuines (people probably aren't falling for those anymore), but selling low-quality fakes as expensive reps.
That's a great scam, as it's not like the thirsty faggot buying the fakes have any recourse. The desperately aspirational cunts deserve it, too.

>ctrl-F
>f91-w
>0 matches

Y'all pleb.

>explorer
wow it's fucking garbage

the dimensions and materials used also seem so well thought out.

as for the case/bracelet design of the 114270, it's near perfect in execution imho.

i don't understand why the explorer has been so ignored historically.

Attached: IMG_20180513_065604.jpg (2972x3406, 1.68M)

Is this a MARATAC? If so how is it? I was thinking about getting an SKX007 but I really like the look of the MARATAC.

Attached: 1510712315038.jpg (1613x1210, 352K)

Stop posting this fucking dogshit.

>i don't understand why the explorer has been so ignored historically.
Because it's too understated. The only people who like the 114270 are watch nerds, not the thirsty brand whores who drive the market.

That and it not being the oyster perpetual that did a lot of the exploring it's a tribute and redesign of it.

What was Seiko thinking?

Attached: SLA019.png (558x715, 343K)

So what about King Seiko Chronometers? I've seen some for sale here and there and the prices have been mostly acceptable so are they something to cop or not?

Attached: 5626-fr5-r.jpg (900x632, 94K)

Oath cop one. But they are a bit pricey though. Consider a seiko lm special which is essentially the same watch but with the tighter specs making it more accurate. You can pay a third the price for a very similar watch

Im actually selling one if youre keen

Shoot me an email if youre interested. Can talk about king seikos or if youre interested in my lm special. Just my net isn't going so good at the moment. Im at the pub

[email protected]

I'll dig up and copy paste a wall of text I've done previously on King Seiko's, but the short version is to avoid the Suwa produced 56xx models and instead go for the 52xx automatics, or if you have the risk tolerance for a more high maintenance model, consider the 45xx hi beat manual winds.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180427_125321.jpg (2389x2389, 2.56M)

>Oath
>keen
>pub
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you're in bongland. I appreciate the offer but I think I want to try and find one already in the country. At least at first. It may turn out that's not a viable plan but what the hell the things have existed for 50 years already, what's a bit longer?