Start trying to learn programming again for the 100th time

>Start trying to learn programming again for the 100th time
>Begin getting demotivated again because I have no ideas for interesting or valuable projects, only endgame would probably be getting a job

Does anyone else feel this way? Everything useful feels either made by geniuses or big teams if not major companies.

Attached: 1530403873775.jpg (400x400, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

a.uguu.se/yVknLg77uuly_[David_Beazley,_Brian_K._Jones]_Python_Cookbook(b-ok.org).pdf
talkpython.fm/episodes/show/130/10-books-python-developers-should-be-reading
sites.google.com/site/scienceandmathguide/subjects/computer-science
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

try gamehacking, then youll always have a clear goal.

try those daily programming challenges things

Stop thinking you have to build something interesting or valuable. That shouldn't be your goal at this point. Build small-scale shit that challenges you and forces you to incrementally level up. There's no shame in making a Facebook or Twitter clone or whatever the fuck else when you're learning. You're only wasting your time right now.

I dont like videogames

How do I bridge the gap between some useless crap and a real innovative project?

>Everything useful feels either made by geniuses or big teams if not major companies.
Who said whatever you make needs to be useful? I make dumb shit all the time, and some of it is very rewarding and fun as fuck.

I made a command-line application that downloads an image from a user-specified URL and makes ASCII art out of it. One of the silliest and most trivial things I've ever made, but it was fun.

Attached: Ryuuko ED2 style.gif (400x400, 168K)

Because I want to feel like im making real progress. Ive made dozens of "practice programs" or whatever in multiple languages but I want to be able to work on something really grand I can be proud of

>18 year old boomer who thinks he isn't a neet

Attached: 64365474253.jpg (828x594, 60K)

By latching onto an idea that excites you and building it out. The only way I ever made any real programming gains was by having something envisioned in my mind and wanting it badly enough that I'd do my own research if I came to a point where I didn't understand how to implement certain functionality. I wanted it to work though because I was determined to make what I'd imagined become a reality, and I learned new concepts in the process that led to growth.

Yeah
I wonder what the point of all this work and practice I'm doing is
When I really don't want a job anyways
I just want to make cool shit, but I don't have any good ideas

Attached: 1529194784538.jpg (746x754, 35K)

what kind of lunatic are you?

What can I do to gain a visionary idea? Take LSD? I have no grand ideas only some futuristic shit thatd need 20 PhDs working on it for a decade

That's understandable. I have a couple of really big projects that I'm very proud of, one of which actually gets used by a club at my university. Maybe I'm impartial to making stupid stuff because i have bigger and better things already in my repertoire.

I suggest making API bindings for a service you like. Do you like music? Make a last.fm API library. Like vidya? Twitch or steam or something like that. Weeb? I'm sure crunchyroll or some other service has a public API.

Attached: 69322099_p0.png (693x989, 505K)

Holy shit, dude, you're making this way more complicated than it needs to be. When I say I envisioned something I liked, I didn't fucking mean it in the sense that I harnessed my inner Steve Jobs and tried to imagine what would be something innovative in tech. You're not going to do that. Even if you were a good programmer, you're probably not going to do that. That's why I said to stop thinking about it that way. For me, it was simple invoice generation.

Maybe the bigger problem you're getting at is I have no real interests or hobbies.

Found out why you can't into programming. Off to wage slavery with you.

Thanks ill try some shit

Programming us not for everyone. Go do something different, boomer.

>yell at people from /v/
>this
pottery.

I totally feel you op. I always try to sit down and improve my skills but end up just learning a few surface level things.

At an internship recently I've started to do more lower level programming, writing patches for bootloaders, kernel drivers, etc. Even the most basic bullshit can turn into a large project. user, try lower level dev.

Learn Python. There's a fuckload of books/podcasts/videos on it.
a.uguu.se/yVknLg77uuly_[David_Beazley,_Brian_K._Jones]_Python_Cookbook(b-ok.org).pdf
talkpython.fm/episodes/show/130/10-books-python-developers-should-be-reading

Then write something that's both useful to you and simple. What are you always doing on your computer that could be sped up/automated?
Could be:
>Unit converters
>a script that fetches weather or gold prices or some other shit and parses it
>a magic 8ball
Like Discord? Twitch? IRC? Look up a guide and write a bot for those.

Don't sit there bitching about your lack of ideas. Go for a drive/walk. Wait for the ideas to come.

Man there's nothing I can do that interests me. I cant do AI or machine learning with Python, I don't have those skills. And making some crap program is a waste of my time.

Then go gain those skills you absolute brainlet wagie.

Does LEARNING how to do these things appeal to you?? jesus christ. most people hate writing code but everyone love to __have__ written code for something they like.

POS mentality, you will never achieve something with this mindset.

>I cant do AI or machine learning with Python, I don't have those skills.
all you need to know is how to pass in variables to the tensorflow library functions lol

>just do it bro

So what, u want me to get a PhD in software engineering then create a fintech company? How am I suppose to do anything useful casually or without years of experience

That's not understanding, faggot. Use this frameworks, when you really know what they do under thw hood and could work without them.

Should I only use my own libraries and even make my own compiler and operating system too???

yeah man feel you there. I actually am a professional developer and I can still relate to you.
It's like I can learn frameworks, languages, tools, and such, and I can implement something from a spec or solve a problem if it's laid out for me.
but I lack that creative spark, that special something that allows one to generate unique ideas and create truly interesting original projects. I will forever be a code monkey, slowly moving up until I settle around 100k 10 yrs from now churning out mediocre code for some medium size company.

It's sad you described my endgame essentially. Why can some people create awestriking software alone while we wallow in pain?

Yes, it's literally about just doing it. Force yourself to study a bit more every single day. You won't like it, you might not find it interesting, but watch videos on various fields, google around concepts you find interesting, eventually you will get there.

sites.google.com/site/scienceandmathguide/subjects/computer-science

Visit that link and check out the various topics mentioned on the right. If any of them appeal to you, research them further and you will naturally desire to learn more programming so you can pursue your interest. If none of them appeal to you, then look outside computing such as Literature, Physics, etc. and try to think how you can use programming to create something unique for those fields.

I didn't say that you should write everything yourself, but you should understand how it works and why you are doinf it. And it's nor comparable to the compiler and such. The more high level you go, the more you should understand. It's for example pure ridiculousness that people use jQuery but don't understand JS. The same goes with Tensorflow.

Unironically learn RobotC, you should get motivated from just that.

Thanks, gonna give it a try.

>That's not understanding, faggot.
he never said understanding. you don't need to fully understand AI to 'do' it if you can navigate the relevant libraries

most people in most professions are just cogs in the machine
just do what most people do, tell yourself real creative genius doesn't matter in the face of inevitable and everlasting death

I don't wanna see anymore layman code. Enough is enough.

>just want to make video game cheats
>requires too much knowledge for it to even be worth trying to learn

Attached: 1505242023242.jpg (792x718, 94K)

>cope

>I have no ideas for interesting or valuable projects
Quit the fucking crap. It's not that you don't know interesting and valuable projects, you don't have the brains to hold a candle to the idea, you incompetent fucking nu-programmer. I bet you can't even program a Jow Forums Tri force with a Hello World below it.

and?

go ham

>home
>and
>masterbate

I will never look at a hamburger the same way.

I know how you feel but, its that mindset that is fucking you. No one is born knowing how to program, You have to learn how to do and yes it can be fucking boring and tedious but, that is the only way.

look up cheat engine. It has a built-in tutorial

>r9k

Seriously just find one then. This whole thing started because you dont have a hobby you love, solve the hobby crysis and you solve the problem

How? My only interest is lifting weights and im mediocre at best.

reimplement software you already use, OR invent software you don't use (yes, most of this type ready exist if you do some searching, but building yourself is cool).

Examples might include an automated weight lifting and/or calorie tracker, budget 'advisor', launching specific enviroments (as in, if you're going to be studying SICP, launch the pdf/djvu viewer, emacs and lectures in one shorthand command), and then of course there's algobots, botnets, markov chatbots, general daily challenges, competitive programming, etc...

idk, just ideas of the top of my head

I am an eternal programming beginner. When I have a problem I need to solve, I learn just enough to solve it, which usually involves having about 30-40 tabs open. Then as soon as the problem is solved I close all the tabs and don't program anything for another year or two.

I recently learned Python for one day to do a project. I usually use C#, but I don't have VS installed at the moment and didn't feel like messing with it.

I have no idea how anyone learns how to work on large projects by themselves.

iktf

Attached: akarin internal pain.png (302x257, 36K)

yeah unfortunately i have the same problem as . i keep thinking up problems much harder than i have any experience for. i guess the tutorials and books i read just dont make anything fun

>Then as soon as the problem is solved I close all the tabs and don't program anything for another year or two.
>I have no idea how anyone learns how to work on large projects by themselves.
Think again.

Attached: 1504821964271.png (609x714, 99K)

How can I do anything that will make me money that isn't malware?

>I have no idea how anyone learns how to work on large projects by themselves.
learn on domain, one framework, one set of tools well and work using that instead of learning a whole new set of things every time you start a project

if you have no creative vision why the fuck are you even programming in the first place?

Ever since I started looking for work I lost all motivation for programming
I have a lot of neat ideas for cool stuff but I just don't care to make any of it
Every time I get a call or come back from an interview I just end up even more depressed, programming has become such a retard nigger meme that every job seems to require frameworks and libraries and additional software you'd never ever use in a personal project and even if you force yourself to use them you'll just wonder what's the point of any of it. The more minimal your project (as in clever solution to a complex problem) the less impressed anyone is with it. You gotta stuff your shit full of imports these days and use continuous integration and also run it in a docker container for it to be impressive...
I want a non-tech job but my parents keep forcing me to take these stupid interviews so I don't shame my family by becoming a street cleaner
Every time I have to go to an interview or get a phonecall I just want to hang myself because I just end up embarrassing myself each time, I prepare for one interview only to not get a call back, those pointless 5-stage interviews are just torture
Wish I wasn't such a pussy, then I'd just hang myself and be done with it

Attached: 1530197191309.jpg (600x474, 38K)

> cool ideas
like?

>Le AI and machine learning meme

Never going to make it

Attached: _0.jpg (435x435, 97K)

>implying I'll share them with some user who'll then implement them and put them on the app store and make money off of them
no

What thing that isn't a meme should I do then

real programming

Such as? Be specific

You have nothing to lose, because you won't make it anyways, you lazy fuck.

pick literally anything that isn't machine learning aka tinkering with a few parameters and letting GPUs do all the work for you then calling yourself a genius

Well, thankfully you're on Jow Forums and theres dozens of boards for various niche interests. Even better, Jow Forums is autistic so you get hordes of people that are really fucking good at what they do, even if they're rather inarticulate.

People will help you learn about the thing they care about, it's human nature. Pick something you think sounds interesting or stimulating, or maybe something a friend is into and the two of you could do together. Someone will help you get started.

Attached: IMG_20180627_051228.jpg (1504x1568, 201K)

SUCH AS???

what are you interested in?

I want to make money

Try getting into a different field then, coming into programming because you want to make money and then whining that you have no creative ideas is retarded

jog my creative gooces

Attached: contrast.jpg (400x400, 94K)

doesn't mean I'll let someone else profit from my ideas

creative juices don't care about money. anyone who has ever made it doing something creative, even the biggest jews like Mark Zuckerberg had the idea first and the money came second. If you don't have an idea just get into real estate or trading or some shit

check out the programming idea roll image that floats around, i don't have it right now

>had
*stole

Ive done some of those. they're useless im talking real stuff that has realworld uses

I feel like How to Design Programs would be a good read for a lot of people ITT, even if they're already knowledgeable to the point of "I know the basics of programming". It deals a lot with "How does one solve genuinely difficult problems, where you hardly know where to start?"

The tl;dr of the book (which doesn't do it justice, but does cut out a lot of the repetition):
1) Learn the language. Inside and out.
2) Find a problem. No, it doesn't matter how big/small it is. Find a problem.
3) Assuming you can't obviously solve it with some simple combinations of the language and tools in front of you, take an inventory: what data types are important for this program and how would you manipulate the data? What functions would be nice to have to make this program? Make a "wishlist" of these things.
4) Learn more about what's available in the language. Try to code the wishlist functions. Can't easily make them? Look back to #3 and come up with more "wishlist" functions that might make the prior wishlist functions more feasible to implement.
5) Keep going until you reach functions that you can easily cook up.

Maybe you're just too stupid to learn programming. Mind you, too stupid to learn, not too stupid to program.
You just need a reality check - find the daily programming challenges image on /dpt/ and see how impossible all of them are for your current skillset.

Wow a good response thanks!

do some of the tougher ones then

most of the "real world" problems you'd encounter are CRUD web apps

I still believe that all Ryuuko posts come from one person and he's absolutely based

join the demoscene

this

So when push comes to shove, you back down. Stop lying about having ideas on an anonymous imageboard you dumb basedboy

Should I just learn webdev then?

Yes, obviously you are not passionate about back-end or low level stuff.

yeah, being able to throw together a full web app and understanding everything from frontend to backend is a valuable skillset. even if you venture into deeper programming sub-fields, it's really important to be able to put together a demonstration that someone can load up in their browser

I want to learn fullstack

Yep. Still couldn't manage to learn python. Every time I try, I get disgusted over the simplicity of the code and go back to C.

That just means what you're programming can be implemented simply (assuming you are implemented all the details of your design).

Then make a machine that lifts for you idiot. Make an exoskeleton or something.

what is the project used by the club at your university?

just write a gameboy emulator you cunt
>search for emulator dev sites
>start by emulating the cpu
>now emulate the coprocessor/gpu if any
congrats now you can run games
>if you want to go te extra mile emulate the sound device

M8 they already exist you brainlet
Forklift... front end loaders, backhoes, excavators

>learn programming as a teenager
>chill out in college because i already know how to program
>get a cush job upon graduation

feels good man

>only endgame would probably be getting a job
Do something else. There are better ways to make money.