Ive wondered this a long time

Ive wondered this a long time.

Does this computer industry purposely delay tech in order to maximize profits.

Why is it that one year theres a regular playstation than the next theres the slim.

Why do I feel they could have just released the slim first.

Or stuff like minor incremental improvements of hardware in phones.

Same with computers it sucks getting a computer with the best computer parts at the time but a few months later all those parts are obsolete.

Why do 8k televisions exist but arent being mass produced?

Attached: 1524543329118.jpg (750x912, 155K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xHrhqtY2khc
youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3RzGoQC4s
youtube.com/watch?v=8vxEimC3HME
youtube.com/watch?v=-DpPicOZOig
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memristor
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why don't you invent all the technology from the year 5000 right now?

X Process to create Y product exist, it cost Z.
If enough people buy product Y, manufacturer will research a new way to produce the same or a better product, said new product will start to be mass produced.
If you don't buy enough Y product, company wont develope a new version thus product will cease to exist.

The xbox 360 had a lot of revisions, but that was because the thing was horribly designed and kept overheating itself.

This is the first thing we learn at CS.

>purposely
deliberately

youtube.com/watch?v=xHrhqtY2khc

Attached: the-corporation-36374.jpg (300x425, 23K)

Designs improve over time because people work to improve them, you absolute moron.

youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3RzGoQC4s

Attached: century-self.jpg (205x270, 19K)

one of the ways to try to counteract planned obsolescence, an inherent inevitability of any market-based system (ex. "capitalism"), is to open source everything

I thought it was the general consensus that Intel does that shit all the time. As soon as AMD starts catching up, they miraculously make a break-through that leaps years ahead.

There really needs to be more competition in the technology field, but microprocessors are too expensive to even get into.

That's just good business thinking.

If I can improve my technology consistently by X% every year, my maximum way to earn money is to increase my performance by a specific amount above my closest competition.

Of course they purposely delay tech to maximize profits, but this is a thing with hardware in general.

Hardware is very expensive to develop and create, and the central components (memory, processors, storage) come from a few companies that all build their businesses in similar ways to each other.

This, in turn, makes anything built using these core components (read: almost everything with computing power) has to follow the strategies of these companies. You'd be stupid to release your hardware twice using the same CPU between two generations these days, but in the mid -1980s this was really common.

>That's just good business thinking.
Yeah, not arguing with that. But personally I don't give a shit about the profits of the corporations. I just want better tech faster.

Every year we get a new mobile phone. Makes you wonder.

What was the point in making black and white television when they could have skipped to 8k Netflix in the 50's? I feel like I've been ripped off.

The leap from black and white to color was a large leap so not comparable. Ask why we have to upgrade a mobile phone every year when the differences are minor.

You have the manufacture and Google who don't want to take the time to deal with backward compatibility. If you don't like it, stop buying Android phones.

Attached: immanentize_the_eschaton.jpg (246x204, 7K)

Is that you, Ivo?
youtube.com/watch?v=8vxEimC3HME
youtube.com/watch?v=-DpPicOZOig

Attached: MTE1ODA0OTU4MDA1OTU0MDYx.jpg (600x323, 19K)

neck yourself

>hd-dvd
kek

If it was up to the degenerate richfags and primitive gipsies we'd all still be living in caves and only the elite of the elite of the elite would be able to afford fire.

Absolutely degenerate.

>when the differences are minor
uhm.. you don't have to buy a new phone ever and there hasn't been much reason to the past few years. But before that? It's not that long ago a smartphone with 512 GB RAM and 2 GB storage was standard. Then it became 1 GB and 8 GB and then 2 GB / 16 GB and now most low and mid range phones have 3 GB RAM and 32 GB storage - or more. Phone cameras and screens were also rapidly improving. The same was true for desktop computers a decade ago. We've just reached a point were it's hard to make it noticeably better. The extra value you get from a $900 phone over a $300 phone is little and the same is true when you compare last years $300 phone with this years models. I'll happily keep the phone I have now until it stops working.

>I think I have to buy a new phone every year

Attached: 1517582298238.jpg (675x745, 48K)

people who think technology keeps increasing every year and just gets better are idiots.

things come to market when they are cheaper not when they are more advanced. there are more advanced versions of LCD and CPU and GPU that exist that are not in the market because selling them don't give a profit they keep working on them until they can make them cheap enough but still be impressive to sell.

they don't just release the most optimal shit. that's not how it works.

look at microwaves for instance microwaves are being made cheaper and cheaper now microwaves in the 80s and 90s where made with better components and heated up food more consistently now they are basically a empty box with just bearbones parts that doesn't work as well but works faster and is cheaper to make so they sell them.

the "new shit" doesn't mean the best quality it literally just means the cheapest thing to make with the maximum return.

it even goes as far as discontinuing good products that are superior to launch new ones that seem "more advanced" but are actually inferior happens all the time. you will figure this out when your 30 or in your mid 20s when you stop thinking things are always getting better and realize human nature is to fuck people over.

Yes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memristor

That's not really the case though, they haven't really had any tech improvements since Ryzen came out; they just started offering higher core counts, especially in the mainstream bracket.

>things come to market when they are cheaper not when they are more advanced
This.

and by cheaper I mean cheaper to make the only time things actually get cheaper for the consumer is when making the item only costs them like under 50$ and they still sell it for 500$

also all that shit about the PS2 being sold at a loss is bullshit sony lied the PS2 was always being sold at a massive profit PS2 launched at 299$ and probably cost them like 100$ to make tops.

Ryzen is not better than Intel. They just figured out a way to use more than one peice of silicon on a processor using IF. That means they can make cheaper chips rather than one monolithic die. It's the same tech as older FX chips just on smaller dies with less cores that they can 'glue' together.

>It's the same tech as older FX chips
Jow Forums might not be the board for you

it might have been sold at a loss for the first fue months of the japan launch but that's just because the factory was new and getting started up once it was fully operational the things would be cheap as hell to make and sony just used that meme and repeated it for years even thou in 2002 they droped the ps2 price by 30% thou some thing they wouldn't do if it was really costing them 400-500$ to make for the first fue years.

>Why do 8k televisions exist but arent being mass produced?
do consumers need them?
>tv in 2018

to be fair Ryzen is better than intel for majority of people. the only reason not to get ryzen is if you get a i3 8350k and delid and overclock it (yes both 8600k and 8700k is overkill for gaming for next decade)

if you want to spend extra on expensive cooler and delid kit Intel is optimal if you just want like 90% of same performance at much lower price get a ryzen.

the fact Dell etc still use intel 100% is a joke all computer shops and builders have switched to ryzen for their like economic but still good builds and just save the intels for the "extream gamer" builds

if your a creative ryzen is better because you get cheap ECC memory support which could save you a day of work every 3months from a computer or program crash.

i3 8350k is a 4core btw.

>yes both 8600k and 8700k is overkill for gaming for next decade
>actually recommending a 4c/4t CPU in 2018
have you even looked at any gaming benchmark in the last year

yes 4core performs the same as 8+core idiot you just think because 2/4core have lower default clocks they perform worse go watch jay two cents video on it. he still tries to justify 6+ core but he is wrong

and 4core cpu can overclock higher than 6+ cores with a delid. regardless what default clocks are. you got fooled by intel and got a i7 or i9

he tries to say even thou 4core gets same performance 8+ core has more "consistant" fps but he is too noob to realise that the fraps program he is using just reports FPS back faster on a 8+core so it seems less jumpy but performance is actually exactly the same.

THIS!

Why did we have to use 150u CPUs if we could have just made 7nm from the start?
WHAT A LOAD OF BULLSHIT!

>purposely
>deliberately
purposefully

Nobody else is gonna address those arms?

Attached: 1529615506329.png (658x460, 256K)

>Ive wondered this a long time.
>Does this computer industry purposely delay tech in order to maximize profits.
No, they don't

No, hardware digital design is actually pretty fucking hard. We get 'old tech' as it is stuff that is 3 years in the making, companies like intel try to pipeline this shit to get stuff as updated as possible (thats why the could do tick tock improvements a few years, they had ateam working on the tick and another on the tock)

>File: an_inside_job.jpg (155 KB, 750x912)

CS has nothing to do with hardware

i am an Ivo...
but i dont know if i am your ivo....

I think so too.
If there is anything corporations value more than money, it's knowing that they can still make money in 10 years time.
Nvidia could probably release some amazing tech right now but they are holding off to sell it later.
First an optimazation of whatever they are selling now, then a minor improvement in the form of a die shrink or new architecture.

I mean, why wouldn't they? If they would sell the very best they can make right now, it would sell just as much as a small update with modest improvements, and after that they'd have no idea what to go make next. It could be dangerous to the company's future.

Japan tried the "cutting edge tech" meme and got their shit pushed in, nobody cares what's in the box as long as it's cheap, trendy & marketed to them personally.

>yes both 8600k and 8700k is overkill for gaming for next decade
>Supreme Commander and Planetside 2 don't exist
Fuck off.

Things improve gradually, if someone had superior tech it would have leaked by now.

Economics is the main barrier, dude.

if you buy a phone every year, you're a sucker. Thanks for funding the r&d for the rest of us!

She has nice legs

More like their "next gen" shit didn't have any substance

they are not multicore games you idiot task manager lies to you.

You have missed the point completely.

The thing is that the tech is ALREADY invented and is working in the labs or elsewhere. Case in point:: in the late 90's Japan had keitai phones with HTML, Java and cameras with software that allowed you to stream mages between phones. At the same time telco oligarchies were pushing WAP while actively blocking Japanese companies from selling iMode phones in the West.

I'm talking about the fucking overkill part.
CPUs are still dying to these games and newer Intel CPUs are finally starting to clock higher.

Also, both PS2 and SupCom are multicore games. It's just that PS2's multicore optimizations were shoe-horned in later on, while SupCom's idea of multicore is "one thread is physics, one thread is everything else".

>Ive wondered this a long time.
>
yes, see nvidia right now
>Why is it that one year theres a regular playstation than the next theres the slim.
thats a little different. refined manufacturing process
>Why do I feel they could have just released the slim first.
they couldnt unless they delayed it for more rnd, which board members wouldnt like
>Or stuff like minor incremental improvements of hardware in phones.
thats more a rolling release
>Same with computers it sucks getting a computer with the best computer parts at the time but a few months later all those parts are obsolete.
not obsolete lol, not the best though, they never were
>Why do 8k televisions exist but arent being mass produced
cost and supply - demand. theres 0 8k content and not much 4k, although its nearly adopted at the mid range price point.

Is it wrong that I want to jack off to that pic?

You have no idea about market segmentation.

yes it's called

> product release cycle
> adoption curve
> maintenance cycle

Actually every industry does that or things similar to that.

Steve Jobs used to screw up Apple's plans at doing that by announcing his bullshit projects without any official endorsement.

>do corporations do things that they think will make them more money
Yes, always. Why do you think nvidia's president is so ecstatic about it being "a long time" until their next line of cards?

He's right.

Attached: pPBMBii.gif (500x280, 975K)

Its called a "business plan." It ensures continual profits.
Your retarded

>your

Your the moron here. Corporations don't give a shit about advancing technology. They care about profits. Spoon feeding retarded consumers such as yourself is what they do best. That's why smartphones haven't really advanced in five years and computers haven't advanced in ten years.
>inb4 bleeding edge tech retards chortle about their latest tech being something new and special
It isn't. Your just brainwashed consumers buying a lie.

Your seriously bottom feeding bone head retarded

Your also retarded

>used $200 thinkpad from 2012 is better than new $400 crapbook
>it's da joos
And Jow Forums is supposedly smarter than /v/.

>your

it takes time to go from a technology to a fully functioning product. although the computer industry is pretty fast compared to others, by the time you have finished designing a product, new technology has come out.

Also, I can imagine that the design process to make a slim revision of an already existing product takes less time than it took to design the first version.

Yeah, if they released all the shit recovered from UFOs society would collapse from everyone wiggin' out.

moore's law is obsolete

It does absolutely every shitty thing you think it might do for profit, and then some you couldn't possibly think of. Staggering tech is a form of planned obsolescence. Why jump straight from spec X to a significantly better Y if you can Sell X 1.1, X 1.2, X 1.4+, XX and X DeluXe Spitfire Dewrito Edition in the meantime? All those 3rd world garbage dumps full of still-working gizmos polluting the ground water with heavy metals won't fill themselves up.

Even bone dead retarded need to eat, I'm sure they appreciate me bottom feeding them

>If there is anything corporations value more than money, it's knowing that they can still make money in 10 years time.
Not to quibble but I don't think that is entirely correct; at the very least, it is somewhat misleading.

Corporations are synthetic agents (with many of the rights of a person) that manipulates employees and customers in order to maximize gain for its stockholders. It's a kind of golem. See (Also note the three classes of people involved in this arrangement).

That seems to be socially irrational.

This is Nvidia's core business model and they've been doing it for decades. They don't want to compete against themselves so they drag their feet.

Compatibility and tradition are two other significant influences on the state of things.
The "computer" (programmable calculator) is not sufficient [alone] as a synthetic information system.

It's all because of the current Patent System. It's completely fucked in it's current state.
There are wars going on in courts right now that you don't even know about. Companies
at each others throats in a suing competition. It's serious shit and small companies
are going bankrupt over it. It stifles creativity and improvements to current tech because
so many agreements have to be made in order for anything new to be released. it goes like this.

Everyday Joe: Hey! I just came out with this great new idea that will make the internet better for everyone!

Google: Hold up there son. I see you're using several ideas that we currently have patents on. I'm afraid you're gonna
have to pay us a premium for using those patents or we're gonna sue your fucking ass into the stone age.

Joe: But I'm just a guy with a wife and 2 kids, doing this out of my garage. I've put everything into this.
If I pay what you're asking, I'll won't have enough to get it of the ground.

Google: Tough shit, we've got 50 lawyers backing us. What have you got? Now Pay or else.

And that's what it all boils down to anons. Technology being killed by assholes abusing the patent system.

While I agree that there's a certain amount of deliberate delaying:
>computers haven't advanced in ten years.
This is plain bullshit.
GeForce 9800 GTX (2008): 884 PassMark score
GTX 1080 Ti (2016): 14038 PassMark score
Intel Core2 Extreme Q9300 (2008): 3465 PassMark score
i7 8700K (2018): 16008 PassMark score
USB 3.0 (2008): 5 Gbit/s
USB 3.2 (2017): 20 Gbit/s
PCIe 2.0 (2007): 5 Gbit/s per lane
PCIe 4.0 (2017): 16 Gbit/s per lane
SATA 2.0 (2004): 3 Gbit/s
SATA 3.2 (2013): 16 Gbit/s
Plus the change from DDR3 to DDR4, which is difficult to quantify
And that's without counting the new IO standards that have cropped up in that time (DisplayPort, M.2 drives) or the other advances in power consumption, core count, number of LEDs, etc. It's not moore's law but it's not nothing.

cool it ballmer

>Does this computer industry purposely delay tech in order to maximize profits
Intel certainly does.
Phones also.
GPUs also.
This is what lack of competition does in this case.

>It's the same tech as older FX chips just on smaller dies with less cores that they can 'glue' together.
hahahahahahaha oh man this is so wrong i don't even know where to begin
you know intel is gluing cores together now right? lol.

but yeah man keep thinking that. dont look up how intel is at te end of their architecture and amd is just starting with this one. it's literally the core i series vs the fx, just reversed now - intel is the FX trash and they have nothing new to use for the next several years.

>number of LEDs

so this is the power of summerfag..

>8k TV
why when 1080p is plenty?
for video games 4k is the limit in regards to quality and anti-ailaising reduction

Blame marketers. They create all this scheme shit to squeeze every dollar out of consumers. It's only gotten worst with social media and now influencers.

There was a time when people bought products because they were actually well engineered and future proof, that time is gone.