Android rooting

Do you think rooting is worth it on Android?

Attached: Android.jpg (800x420, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fsf.org/givingguide/v8/
forum.xda-developers.com/lg-k10/how-to/friendly-root-method-lg-k8-k10-t3531223
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I got a LG K8 V and I heard its nearly impossible to root unless I get some Android SDK.

if i couldn't root, unlock bootloader, and flash custom roms then i'd be using fisherpriceOS instead

How does someone do that? I heard people would use shit like TWRP or something.

Without rooting Andriod and XPrivacy, you are essentially carrying a botnet in you pocket.

>xprivacy
placebo garbage
rooting won't save you from in-rom botnets
not even custom roms can save you from the baseband and botnet drivers

ed pill me on how to get out of this botnet hell

This

don't use a phone

yes

Attached: Screenshot_Termux_20180630-221802.png (1920x1080, 137K)

fuck

At this point, I only do it to block ads. Custom roms aren't really necessary anymore.

Even if I couldn't do that I'd still use Android because I can install software outside the app store.

same specs minux a gig and 1.27 GHz quad core processor.

DriveDroid and AdAway alone make it worth.
I'm also running Lineage because fuck Asus's dumbass ROM.

What I wanna know is how to fucking root this LG to begin with. It seems so fuckin hard for no reason and I don't understand why.

Only time I have ever rooted was a while back and I used KingoRoot or some shit like that.

fsf.org/givingguide/v8/

awesome, yea I've been rocking this bad boy for 3years now and it still feels solid and runs well

For the amount of effort and time, not for the majority since a couple apps refuse to work when rooted like Snapchat (I know, but a lot of people use this)

Really? I never had that problem on my old Samsung phone. it was a Galaxy J 3 Prime.

I literally only root for adaway.
Systemless root methods like magisk makes it super easy to hide your root from games that require android safetynet, so there's no drawbacks anymore.

Attached: akari cute.jpg (300x450, 35K)

I used to do it until snap chat had issues with roots. (Getting bitches snaps were a must)

stop being a creep and saving their pics without permission then?
that's literally rape

Nigga what, I get bitches that have my name written on their titts. Lol fuck out of here with your 1 follower and pimple faced some pussy. It will make you shit post a lot more

>replying to bait
wait

I spent years flashing custom ROMs and they're all garabage.

Not all devices can be rooted, but if it can be done, yes. The only downside is that official updates usually won't work. Don't worry about bricking your device or voiding the warranty. You can always flash the original ROM and there will be no trace of anything.

i dont know how do do anything of this shit. got a tutorial you can suggest? the ones i found about doing it involves using windows and shit and I run Devuan linux. You think wine will be fine?

What device you got?

Cellphones are inherently botnet. You can only make it less botnet on the software side.

It's easy to hide root status from programs. It's a baked in feature of magisk.

You NEED Windows to do most roots. Especially with Samsung phones. Also you need to be aware of security features that block rooting and how to avoid them.

Not always true, but this is usually the case. Just throw Windows in a VM and USB passthrough.

I like rooting because of the access to root browsers, the ability to uninstall those shitty system apps that do do nothing but hog ram in the background, the ability to hack certain games that feature asshole P2W systems , and to remove ads from YouTube.

I'll never get an iPhone for personal use after seeing how great rooting is. Any phone is fine for work, though.

Attached: 1413223621338.png (140x141, 3K)

>remove ads from YouTube
Try newpipe on f-droid

>hack certain games that feature asshole P2W systems
What do you mean? Which games and how

I had tons of issues on my g5 plus just the rooting part was so complicated where you had to unlock the device through the Motorola website and then you need to search a special version of twrp, but there are several bugs for it some bricking the phone
And the actual root software itself is on dodgy sites where the files were already deleted
Tutorials link to dead sites and basically it's just so confusing that I just gave up. I don't want to brick my phone and then have no place to even report it

Attached: 1529503868181.gif (410x412, 861K)

How do you feel about non root ad blocking? Something like Blokada on F-Droid

if it werent for ad away i wouldnt do any of this nerd shit

I've been trying all day to unlock bootloader to root my xz1c and still can get the bootloader done.
Root is the only way to get rid of these shit useless apps

I got a LG K8 V

yeah i found this forum post that was no help i see what u mean

forum.xda-developers.com/lg-k10/how-to/friendly-root-method-lg-k8-k10-t3531223

>ruining your phones security for "adblock"

there's a reason those applications prefer non-root on your phone, especially banking apps.

>phone
>security

Rooting your phone is the same security risk as downloading software from piratebay.

>hurrdurr phones are botnets so might as well just make me more likely to be compromised by reducing security even more

I bet you're the kind of person who has your daily windows account be admin instead of just a user, or your linux user be part of sudoers.

>Malicious tracking
>Swiss cheese platform even unrooted
>Vendors don't update shit
You realize you don't have to be running super user all the time when rooted right? You can require authentication for root access. Privacy is an important component of security people often forget.

I'd argue it is more secure if you actually know what you are doing because you can remove the first issue, and actually fix shit vendors no longer care about. Likewise if you are a drooling moron it will obviously make things worse. This has nothing to do with security, it has everything to do with lock in and control. They could have easily make it so users can have full access to their device without having to jump through such hoops. They didn't because it was an intentional malicious design choice.

yes, as long as you know what you're doing

If I look at my phone, I use root to:
>give system-wide access to my file manager
>disable or remove system apps
>disable unneeded services for the apps I need
>some magisk modules (like a YouTube mod, Camera2 api enabler...)
For me at least, rooting my Android phone is still relevant.

Attached: Screenshot_20180701-101319.png (1080x1920, 95K)

>what is suhide
You're an idiot

I mean, my phone's long out of warranty, and once you get your head around it, installing a custom ROM is easy.
>install Android platform tools from your distro's repos
>adb reboot bootloader
>fastboot oem get_unlock_info
>fastboot oem unlock
>fastboot flash recovery twrp-osprey.img
>fastboot boot recovery
>adb push lineage-osprey.zip
>flash from TWRP
>install F-Droid
I see no downsides.

>This idiot doesn’t know about google tokens
>for snap

Must be a pimple faced nerd. There is no fix atm

>if you are a drooling moron
Says the guy buying devices that don't get updates.

he never said in-rom botnets. and most custom roms are open siurce anyway.
use xprivacylua, it's the new version.

>Custom roms aren't really necessary anymore.
Android version/security updates, better backup solutions, firewalls, the ability to remove software/OEM firmware backdoors, the ability to uninstall system apps and prolong battery life, etc. I wouldn't call this unnecessary, as many users would want this.

biggest idiot i've seen this year

Attached: 1516329466560.jpg (480x349, 25K)

It really depends on your phone, but the usual procedure is this:
>get a custom recovery for your phone (usually twrp)
>get the custom rom you want to use if you want to replace your stock rom
>get the latest flashable Magisk zip
>install adb and fastboot with whatever package your distro uses to bundle them
>plug phone into computer
>boot it to bootloader mode (usually by pressing volume up and the power button at the same time)
>type 'sudo fastboot devices'
>make sure your device shows up, switch cables when it doesn't
>type 'sudo fastboot oem unlock'
>type 'sudo fastboot flash recovery /path/to/twrp/image.img'
>hold down power and volume down to reboot into recovery
>make a backup just in case
>sideload new rom (optionally) by pressing the button on your phone and typing 'sudo adb sideload /path/to/new/rom.zip'
>in recovery sideload Magisk by pressing the button on your phone and typing 'sudo adb sideload /path/to/magisk.zip'
>reboot phone
>restore backup in case shit goes wrong

Next time research this before buying. I wouldn't complain about anything on the user side being "difficult", as someone had to simplify it to the extent of dozen clicks.

>wanting pictures of ugly 3d womens secondary sexual indentifiers
I want normies to leave

oh sweet, it's the forever disgraced tripfag gracing all of us with his presence

>any of this nerd shit
You can't possibly be serious.

Shit is all backed up to Google dude.

Also the latest version of Android literally recognizes apps that you don't use that use battery in the background and asks you if you want to blacklist them. It did that with the PLEX app for me.

Found the sjw, also I’m sure Jow Forums has some good looking guys unlike you faggot

Attached: 48F43D75-3B18-4280-A16D-2FA746BB540B.gif (349x165, 1.94M)

Do you think admin account access is worth it on Windows 10?

Install TWRP+Magisk for root cloak.(allows googleplay and other normie crap like pokemon go)

>how to add attempted murder to your moving violation

>ruining your phones security for "adblock"
>Rooting your phone is the same security risk as downloading software from piratebay.
Can't wait for sources. And surely getting new security updates on an open source ROM and rooting method will compromise your phone of all things.

git fucking rekt by Jow Forums nig
My sides

Depends on which phone you intend to root. My former phone, a Nexus 5, was a must to be rooted.

Attached: IMG_20180629_131420_HDR.jpg (2592x1944, 1.66M)

xpirvacylua is still placebo trash. lineageos's privacyguard, while still trash, actually works

>I literally only root for adaway
why? blokada works on non rooted android.

Yes because I like to pirate apps and games.

>Shit is all backed up to Google dude.
What? You clearly don't know what you're even attempting to get at here.
>Also the latest version of Android literally recognizes apps that you don't use that use battery in the background and asks you if you want to blacklist them. It did that with the PLEX app for me.
See? So, there is a benefit to rooting because not all devices are destined to be updated.

Magisk allows me to screenshot giant milkers without notification. ;)

Girls that would never normally send me stuff drop their guard because they think it's only temp.

Jow Forumsent life bitch.

Arch linux on a phone, sounds like a good meme

>there's a reason those applications prefer non-root on your phone, especially banking apps.
so?

>What? You clearly don't know what you're even attempting to get at here.
I think you do.
I also think your poor choice in devices is the only justification you have to using buggy fan based roms.

how did you do that?

>I also think your poor choice in devices is the only justification you have to using buggy fan based roms.
What poor choice? I've never mentioned the device I'm using. And what bugs? You can also research this before buying as I've recommended in this thread, so you don't end up with a device which relies on ported ROMs from similar models - in which case major bugs would be unavoidable. But you knew this, what am I even attempting? "All that shit is backed up to Google bro".

This, you just can't beat GSM tracking for now, although using a custom rom and only FOSS applications is still better than using stock.

Nice deflect.

Attached: tard.jpg (1024x512, 71K)

I'm spoonfeeding you and you couldn't muster up enough decency to sage when you shitpost.

For Adaway alone, absolutely yes.

Your being debased for shoveling shitty ideas. I give an alternative, don't buy a shitty device that you need to hack custom firmware onto which never works properly and will never get updates.

>I give an alternative, don't buy a shitty device that you need to hack custom firmware onto which never works properly and will never get updates.
Now you'll claim these are your posts.

>Got a problem? Just throw money at it lol!

>attempted

Someone working min wage can afford the best phone on the market, if you are into Android and phones there is no reason to cheap out.

Kind of hard to call buying a shitty device so you can spend hours fucking with ports of old versions of Android that don't work properly.

Unless you are literally incapable of budgeting or live in some third world shithole.

Attached: mentally-challenged-indian.jpg (250x250, 25K)

>Kind of hard to call buying a shitty device so you can spend hours fucking with ports of old versions of Android that don't work properly.
[a hobby]

Any games, really. I just open them up and change things so they don't force me to pay to pass the pay walls. I do things like remove intrusive ads, hack purchases, change timestamps and modify resource values.

In pic related, note the values of the resources in the upper right. To get those values without root enabled hacking would require spending over a million real life dollars on in app purchases. The only way games can stop hacks like this is to require root access themselves. But since only 7% of users root their phones these days and much less and much less even know how to hack things, it's never worth it to do that.

Attached: 20180701_184947.png (1920x1080, 1.31M)

why would you even want to play games that have this behaviour?

yeah I lose them often that's good enough reason to cheap out

You'd be surprised how fun games can be when you snip away their worst elements. One thing I particularly hate is grinding. The first game I ever hacked was Payday 2, because I could not stand the grind. It suddenly became one of the most fun games I had played. I had all the skill trees maxed out and millions of dollars to spend. Carrying entire matches with my godly death machine character was great fun. The volume of things I could do in the game -and thus the depth of the gameplay- improved dramatically. Since then, I've always sought to see if any game I play can be improved with hacking. The process of hacking itself is also fun to me. It's a nice little challenge to overcome whatever little defenses are put into games, just for the hell of it.

It's mandatory.

Depends on your device. It seems rather pointless on Android One phones, but for all phones that aren't either a Nokia or Pixel you'd probably want root to get rid of all the garbage the manufacturer filled your phone with.

This. Anyone who says otherwise is just trying to fool themselves.
As soon as you have a functional SIM card inside a device, you're carrying a personal tracking device.

True. I know for a fact the tracking ability is so precise that even if you live in a large appartment building, your exact location can be pointed to floor and appartment number.
Only escape is to ditch phones completely

Wow, you really are an autistic fuck.
I bet your mom hates you

If your jewish bank app doesn't like rooted phones maybe you should stop using their services

Guaranteed (You)s

Good job user. How did you do it? Did you just edit some game files to get the extra resources/weapons or was it more complicated than that?