XPS VS Matebook X Pro

So I'm thinking of starting up as an independent contractor within AI, and for that I need a decent PC.

I've narrowed it down to 2:

XPS 13 9370:
>i7-8550U
>Ubuntu Linux 16.04 SP1
>13,3" FHD
>16 GB LPDDR3 2133 MHz
>512 GB PCIe solid state-disk
>Intel UHD Graphics
Price: 1913 USD (12200 DKK)

Huawei Matebook X Pro:
>i7-8550U
>Windows 10 Pro
>13.9 3K
>16 GB LPDDR3 2133 MHz
>512 GB PCIe solid state-disk
>Nvidia GeForce MX 150
Price: 2351 USD (14999 DKK)

I could potentially get the lower specced X Pro for the same as the XPS 13, but that's the i5 and only 256 GB of storage.

Is the XPS the better deal?

Attached: file.png (1600x1200, 2.72M)

xps is nicer imo

does the XPS have more thundrebolt 3 ports? never looked if the matebook has any

Hp Spectre 360
15'' 4k OLED screen
i7 8550U
16GB 2400mhz
512GB nvme
Got it on sale for $1199

I just don't really need a 15" screen, and I really think they're slouching with the bezels.

Also, I doubt I'd be able to find it for 1199 USD here.

>independent contractor within AI

AI freelancing? That sounds interesting. What would your services be, exactly?

Consultancy work within AI, help businesses with how they can use AI to optimize various things in their portfolio and whatnot. Maybe small projects, and even teaching.

That sounds like a cool career. best of luck to you, m8

Attached: epictetus.jpg (635x403, 39K)

well, watching linus tech tips about xps.. he claims the trackpad is too small.

Also, the matebook looks sexy as fuck.. just remove the retarded intel sticker

I always remove stickers. And I rarely if ever use trackpads, I always bring a mouse.

Lets see if anyone actually wants to hire me.

well, the huawei obviosly is more esthethic (looks like a macbook pro rip off)

but since MBP's nowadays suck, I'm probably gonna get this rip off.

I got the XPS 9370 in your configuration but with the UHD screen (~1630€) but was eyeing the X Pro as well (wasn't out yet 2 months ago).
Are you just getting the Ubuntu config for the savings or are you actually planning on running it? I clean installed W10 Enterprise on mine for debloating purposes among others and have to say, for everything to run smoothly you have to put a lot of the Dell stuff back on there for everything to function properly.
>Maxx Audio turbo bloat for the audio to function properly
>Dell Command softwares for optimizing battery life and more control over charging profiles
Other than installing back the bloat I am pretty content with my purchase and can see it replacing my desktop with a TB3 eGPU dock with PD full-time when plugged in at home.
The response times of the UHD panel are a little on the slow side and of course the battery life will be worse, both problems which shouldn't affect the 1080p configuration. Cooling system is nice and quiet, power is plenty, keyboard is nice for what it is, trackpad is decent, I/O is brilliant if you don't need full-size USB.
Would definitely recommend.
Can tell you more if needed.

>Would definitely recommend.
thanks for your input satan.

For the savings, it's so easy to get a good Windows key for almost nothing today.

Yeah I specifically picked the FHD version because I wanted better battery life, although I'm sad that even the FHD is glossy and not matte, since I'd much prefer that.

In retrospect I don't regret going UHD, the PPI is really nice scaled to FHD workspace (which finally works well in W10).
The glossy touch meme screen is a bummer, but the display goes up to about really bright 400-500 nits, so I haven't had any real issues (don't know about FHD brightness).
Also, if you are getting it as a business customer or in general the warranty and service with Dell will probably be a lot better. The XPS is also more compact. If you're not going to do much media consumption 3:2 might be better suited for you than 16:9. I'd also prefer the Matebook's metal surface on the inside over the rubberized carbon fiber on the Dell.

Maybe start by finding a contract before you blow two grand on a laptop. Your career plans sound vague as fuck. Not trying to discourage you, but please do things in order. Sounds more like an excuse to spent money at the moment.

Should be easy enough, besides I can just get that sweet sweet welfare if it doesn't take off immediately.

Between those two, the huawei wins hand down. Even not considering the dedicated nvidia card, a 13.3 16:9 screen is horrendous for anything productive.
The huawei has a 3:2 display that I hope will become much more common in the coming years.

But since you want a "decent" PC and you want to work in AI, I would also consider the much more powerful XPS 15, it has basically the body of a 14', so it shouldn't be too cumbersome.

>decent pc
>macbook air ripoffs

Get a freaking Lenovo P50/51 or whatever theyre called if you want a work laptop and not a status symbol

Some of us actually care about mobility and how you present yourself.

> how you present yourself

You sure you aren't an americuck?

I guess i'm somewhat skeptical about the long term build quality, and the issues with privacy that have plagued Huawei put me off.

In terms of "feel" the XPS line are the only ones i've tried out in store that tick all the boxes for me. HP have godawful trackpads, Asus cut corners, and the Surface devices are glued together.

xps fhd doesn't have touch

I know, touch isn't really something I'll use. Honestly don't see what the deal is if it's not a foldable.

absolutely satanic

Buy the chinkbook
Outside of cache i5 vs i7 isn't too different. They're U chips anyway.
Chinkbook has a better screen, both in res and aspect ratio
XPS13 also has build issues, not sure if they fixed that

From what I have read get the Matebook because of the aspect ratio.

You just dont care about buying something useful instead of bling?

fucking nigger

fuck meant to quote

>besides I can just get that sweet sweet welfare if it doesn't take off immediately.
Yuros disgust me.

Attached: okay.gif (245x285, 915K)

>>i7-8550U
>>Windows 10 Pro
.9 3K
GB LPDDR3 2133 MHz
GB PCIe solid state-disk
>>Nvidia GeForce MX 150

there's an hp pavilion with these same specs (swap dd3 for dd4) for 1200 USD, should I go for it?

Consumerist Satan gtfo

2018 xps 13 has 2 tb3 with x4 pcie lanes and 1 usb-c port.

Anything before 2018 has single x2 pcie tb3 port.

Not sure if pcie lanes really matter unless you are hooking 1080ti egpu and using internal display.

If you have no problem with it dying shortly after its 1 year warranty, then sure.
Pavilions are trash.

not but this retard fuck that guy

t. Guy with no business sense

nobody actually uses the trackpad, maybe if you're some kinda faggot. get a wireless

my xps15 has touch and I've never used it

t. guy who doesnt actually do any work, this he says hes in the "AI business"

pleb

If you are also planning to compute stuff with AI, you will need CUDA cores.

Thinkpad T series & use the remaining $900 on cloud compute credits

I have a desktop I can use for number crunching if it's really needed.

Ok

> huawei has additional chinese survillance hardware

>the only ultrabook this year besides x1 carbon (also chinkshit with a history of botnet scandals) with a camera that you don't have to cover with tape

and the microphone?
geolocalization?
are you thinking about that?

if you're not disabling everything through the bios just to be sure you're not doing it right

as for geolocalization i couldn't care less, it's probably less important to the chinks than it is to the CIA. same could be said for everything else assuming you don't work a government job

Both are fucking terrible
I hope you have no success considering you're so fucking stupid that you can't even get the right hardware for your fucking job.

What should I consider then?

chances are he doesn't know and just needed to call someone stupid today

>intel
Garbage

Why are people buying ultrabooks? Too much phytoestrogens in food to carry a proper workstation laptop?

Easy to carry, looks sleek and does the job well enough.

>Le AI meme

Attached: stop_pls.jpg (446x357, 19K)

>40% status symbol
>30% mobility
>20% utility
>10% irresponsibility

you'd also be pretty hard pressed to find a 15.6" with thunderbolt 3 that doesn't have a 13" variant and isn't also trying to sell itself as a gaming laptop. they're rapidly improving and because manufacturers are trying to market them as flagship devices, they get some of the latest technology the year they're released

>Easy to carry
So just what I said huh.

Attached: 1520961584182.jpg (1019x806, 147K)

Spectre quality control is shit. I'm having problems with both my USB-C ports becoming loose and an annoying screen flickering issue, some people are still hearing coil whine, etc

Do you have a phd, or are just another hack selling smoke? Both are ok.

I have a master's.

absolute meme shit
enjoy poverty

Not everyone is a basement dwelling autist with a dinosaur thinkpad. Some people actually have lives you know? Plus there is a lot of push for better thermals in CPU and GPU with ARM development, so unless you do an intense workload or playing gayman performance is usually not the issue.

Guess we'll see what happens. I won't limit myself to AI though, but it's what I'd like to do.

>Intel

How is this even a question

Dell has proven the performance and reliability of their line. Don't expect any decent support from the chinese product, nor a good trackpad and thermal solution.

Keyboard layout on huawei is complete facebook dogshit
>no home
>no end
>no pgup
>no pgdn
>camera between f6 and f7

you could probably remap that F10 if you end up removing huawei's software