/spg/ - Smartphone General

"wait for AV1 hardware decoders" edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier
you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: spg.png (499x499, 223K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/j3ZUbSL--G8
gsmarena.com/blackberry_key2-9187.php
gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2017&fDisplayInchesMax=4.3
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/6/15/17467216/usb-c-headphones-wireless-future
androidauthority.com/we-asked-you-told-us-no-one-really-wants-wires-but-bluetooth-just-isnt-great-876615/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's pic related?

a phone

iPhone X clone

Aquaris X2

Best music player for android?

AIMP

AIMP, Phonograph, Shuttle+, Samsung Music, Poweramp

this phone has nightmarish product page

Attached: x2.png (1131x563, 1.12M)

nah it's not

Attached: bq_foto_chica_retrato_derecha_1920x1920px.jpg (1920x1920, 461K)

>tfw could have bought a pixel 2 xl for 35% off, but hesitated. partly because of Jow Forums memes about blue screens
>actually try out the phone in store, and it feels good
>now i want the phone and it's no longer on sale
what do? should i wait for the pixel 3 xl to be released?

Help me /spg/
I want a new phone, my number 1 priority is good battery life. I'd like an OLED display, and no bigger than 5.5". The difficult part: is must be fully compatible with Verizon (CDMA). Any suggestions? Chinkshit is okay with me, but they often don't work with Verizon.

>Any suggestions?
Kimovil for network band support, as this is your deciding factor.

Aimp to stupid to find my music on SD-card. And no option in settings to add folders manually.. wtf

Also,
>USA
>budget

Moto Z Play / Z2 Play with a battery Motomod

>should i wait for the pixel 3 xl to be released?
it will have a notch, so no.

Thoughts on the LG G7 ThinQ? GF is looking for a new phone and asked me about it but my interest in phones extends only to getting the cheapest chinkphone available because I don't need features.

it's in the playlist editor

Blackplayer

Not bad from what I've seen

it looks exactly like the xiaomi redmi note 5

REMINDER THAT THE REDMI NOTE 5 GLOBAL SD 636 4GB 64GB IS RECOMMENDED ON Jow Forums SINCE EARLIER MARCH THIS YEAR UNTIL NOW

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-01-22-26-51-002_org.floens.chan.png (1080x2160, 226K)

also don't buy the pajeet version.

Well, that's when it became available worldwide.

Who else here waiting for the note 9?

Attached: 1516944171364.png (500x590, 19K)

S9s can be bought for around $500-600 in Swappa but I guess battery life is a bit bad on those

I’d rather go for S9 or OnePlus than LG mate.

Got yesterday redmi note 5, it is fucking good. The only downside is miui that i dont like

What are some good phones with removable batteries?
I'm upgrading from my lg g3 and don't want to lose this feature

Attached: lg-g3-screencap.png (509x535, 394K)

Post your security patch, /spg/

Attached: Screenshot_20180701-163746.png (1080x381, 23K)

Good thing you're not forced to stay on MIUI, as you can unlock the bootloader and a good number of custom ROMs are available.

none, the only ones left are sub $150 literally who chinkphones and Bootloop LG V20

>and don't want to lose this feature
If you are okay with 2014. hardware, you won't lose it.

Im ok with using an older phone for a while until a newer phone with removable battery comes out
Only thing im worried about is the chances no one makes one

Is the v20 that bad? And what about the g5?
I mean i was pretty happy with my g3, so either way a g5 or v20 will be am upgrade for me right?

Attached: Screenshot_20180701-174845.png (720x247, 14K)

I guess it's hit and miss with screen and bootloop issues, these days you can get both for fairly cheap though, so you could try them if you want to

just get high quality powerbank my dudes. I used to have hard times switching to non removable battery because I had multiple spare battery in my bag all the time for my galaxy s5. Now I have s7 with decent 10000mah power bank from xiaomi. I don't find the difference plus don't have to reboot every time to switch battery or charge them one by one. Battery and chip nowdays are super efficient, you don't have to worry about replacing them.

So in that case do you think i should buy from an official source for replacement in case of issues?
I was planning to buy unopened from kijiji or something cuz thats what i typically do

You can go ahead and buy the unopened ones, no reason not to do that especially with oled panels

The other thing removable battery is good for is saving from bootloop tho
It saved me multiple times with my current device, if i didnt have a removable battery i might have a brick by now

Well the reason not to do that would be that youre saying some phones come out the box with issues, and if i buy from kijiji i dont think i can get a refund
And what does oled have to do with it?

But does lineage alone remove chinese spying?? Or are there lower level tricks in RedMi's

Sonim XP8 if you can get your hands on it

Attached: IMG_2858.png (1242x2208, 178K)

i think most phones with sealed batteries come with a dedicated chip so you can hold the power button for 10 seconds or so and have the device reboot even if the software froze

The Nokia 7 plus is seriously the best phone on the market right now.

Attached: Screenshot_20180701-160139.png (1080x2160, 74K)

Trusty Nexus 5 kicked the bucket yesterday.

I've been eyeing either the Pixel 2 XL or the P20 Pro. Pro's and cons for both? I know the P20 doesn't use a snapdragon but I don't really use my phone for system intensive things, will I notice anything major? Is the Pixel 2 XL better in the long run due to support?

Attached: 1430294387585.jpg (442x395, 28K)

no matter what android flavor you put on it, you still need certain proprietary binary files (blobs) to boot
therefore, you can never be sure the device isn't phoning home etc.

>locked bootloader
also, pic related

Attached: fuk.png (65x60, 2K)

>But does lineage alone remove chinese spying?? Or are there lower level tricks in RedMi's
It removes software backdoors and AppOps can be used for denying unnecessary app permissions. As well as AFWall+ for denying internet access.
>Only thing im worried about is the chances no one makes one
This would probably end up being the case. Which is ridiculous, given the fact that the S5 had a user removable battery while offering an IP67 rating.

>pic related
what is it?

I don't really care about the bootloader, it's treb;e supported anyway

what the hell is this thing

Attached: SonimSectionIntros_XP8.jpg (2000x2182, 1.62M)

If the bootloader is locked, how do you think treble is going to work??

Anyone have experience with the Nubia M2?

it's cropped from and the thicker circle isn't perfectly in the middle of the outer one

you won't be able to use any treble-based rom with a locked bootloader

Is this new?
I remember reading when i got the g3 that the removable battery could get you out of bootloops most sealed phones couldnt

Sorry, I don't buy African phones

a phone with decent hardware and removable battery
as a bonus, it won't scatter when you happen to drop it

Damn, i dont know
I mean if there is no market for it maybe im overrating it

Are there any new phones with a screen size of maximum 4.3"?

with usb type-c, is it possible to have a dongle that supports both OTG *AND* a 3.5mm female jack at the same time? so i can plug in my headphones and use usb accessories like a thumb drive or a keyboard?

Watch this:
youtu.be/j3ZUbSL--G8
He blames tech reviewers, as they are being considered before the end users. Hence the thin gimmick and the eventual removal of a user replaceable battery.

why restrict yourself to screen diagonal rather than the device's dimensions itself? you can fit a 4.5" screen in a device with a 4.3" screen with thinner bezels

gsmarena.com/blackberry_key2-9187.php
Not quite, but close. Also, abysmally overpriced for what it is.

Learn to use the gsmarena phone finder
gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2017&fDisplayInchesMax=4.3

Ok well right off the bat i want to smash that thing with a hammer and dispose of it safely
But maybe its not as bad as it seems so i will look into it

I wasn't talking ROMs, I was referring to how it will get fast updates since it's treble based and android one supported.

Not only it got updated from 8.0 to 8.1, I can install P beta as well.

>fast updates
Only for the two years from release date, afterwords you're fucked

But Treble support isn't that. It was meant for devices with non AOSP flavors of Android to finally be rid of version fragmentation. Also:

Because thin bezels are shit
I don't care how thick the bezels are
>why restrict yourself to screen diagonal rather than the device's dimensions itself?
I want to be able to (comfortably) move with my thumb from the bottom left to the top right of the screen.
If that distance is 4.3 inches I don't want a phone with a 4.5 inch screen because that is too much, the total dimensions of the device is not the defining factor here
>you can fit a 4.5" screen in a device with a 4.3" screen with thinner bezels
good for you, but I don't care

thanks

Ok, thats interesting
But if the removable battery is such a great feature why wouldnt tech reviewers reflect this in their reviews
The only flaw i see with tech reviews is the need to put out a review as soon as possible, when there are certain pros and cons that take longer to notice but im not sure that removable battery is one of them

Ok. Last thing, does the Note 4 come with Corning Gorilla Glass? I don't see that on GSMArena.

And where do I get a Note 4 without getting price gouged or scammed for fake shit? Any guides on IDing fake Note 4s?

That was his point - it never was a drawback or a negative for the end user. Also, I just love it when some genius complains about OEM firmware while holding a Snapdragon SoC device.

>But Treble support isn't that. It was meant for devices with non AOSP flavors of Android to finally be rid of version fragmentation. Also:
Bullshit, the whole point of Treble was for manufacturers to be able to update their phones easier, without having to rely the manufacturer of the SoC to update their drivers. The whole custom ROM thing is just an added bonus.

Is USB type C a meme ? Redmi note 5 only comes with micro USB.

Samsung Galaxy J4.

I missunderstood that part, although what's the benefit of project treble if bootloaders are locked on some devices and OEMs still apply their skins and modifications?
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/6/15/17467216/usb-c-headphones-wireless-future
androidauthority.com/we-asked-you-told-us-no-one-really-wants-wires-but-bluetooth-just-isnt-great-876615/

How is a connection that's correct no matter how you insert it a meme? If anything it makes the Light in connector look like a meme because the pins are exposed

>Get Nokia 8
>Simcard breaks within 20 days
God bless 2 years of free warranty

Attached: 1445934552676.jpg (362x298, 73K)

This is on your carrier and on your carrier alone, not the manufacturer.

This is only in how USB C relates to headphones, no shit headphones and the future of them is going wireless, most people connect them to their phones and cords are always an issue
But that doesn't make USB-C a meme in general, it's better, objectively, than Micro USB in every way

Works on my machine ,':^)

I see you didn't bother to read the articles. Also, reversible USB cables exist.

What does the phone's warranty have to do with the SIM card? Or you do mean the SIM card reader?

Reader yes

Good modern flip phones?

The issues are stupid
>costs
Of course they're are going to be cost in the adoption if a newer form factor which is a better technology in general
>cords
Quality and just having then in general is an issue, that has nothing to do with the form factor itself, but if the cheap Chinese manufacturers flooding the market with cables that aren't up to spec and no governing body to ensure quality
That's all I needed to read because usb-c is better for
>data transfer
>charging
>secure, easy connection
I have been using a usb-c phone for over a year now and there's no way I would get another phone without it

Is there anyway to do proper data erasure on an android phone? It's already encrypted but I want to do everything I can to clear the storage short of putting it in a shredder.

Have they fixed the A1 hissing problem? The A2 doesn't look much better, especially since no headphone jack or SD card support.

Attached: xiaomi-mi-a1-1.jpg (548x591, 43K)

Again, reversible USB cables exist and many phones which include a USB type C port also exclude a 3.5mm audio jack. A very limited amount of models are at your disposal because of this trend. Bluetooth audio hardware just isn't up to par yet and most likely won't be soon.

what transfers over when I move my SIM card to a new phone? Just my phone number? Really hoping my contacts transfer over.

Attached: 1525572570291.png (311x314, 203K)

Do phones with higher resolution have less eyestrain?

>REDMI NOTE 5 GLOBAL
me. upgrading from s6 edge

Nope.

Number only, SIMs are no longer designed to store anymore information than carrier information for the chipset
Just back up your contacts as files and store them in a folder on your pc

Wait, you can't store contacts in the SIM card anymore?

sorry guys

Attached: _20180701_192902.jpg (720x91, 7K)

Who's the best phone reviewer? I'm in the market for a new phone and almost bought the P30 Pro. Just in the nick of time I saw somewhere that it had problems running some google apps, including google maps. After more research it was confirmed. It takes 30+ seconds to load google maps with endless error messages. If you manage to load it and enter an address... again it takes forever and usually shuts down. This is an absolute deal breaker. Yet in all the reviews I saw it was never mentioned. Just endless fapping over its camera. Oh, and its assistant only works in China. Hardly ever mentioned. Just 6000 trillion megapixels and awesome colors.

So who actually reviews how a phone actually performs. Not 4355 vs. 3961 omg so much faster benchmarks. Not look at how shiny it is. Just tell me if it works. Flawlessly preferably.