/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find more detailed videos on YouTube)
youtube.com/watch?v=9M2-UIwWguw
>How to install Win7 on new CPUs
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses - e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

Overclocking
>Use PBO on Ryzen. Legacy overclocking is defunct on Ryzen 2#00X CPUs. youtube.com/watch?v=FC3fsVk9Sss

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming (dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high-end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Motherboards
>Only Z300 series boards can utilize fast memory with Intel

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this much
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>GPU prices have gone down
1080p
>RX 580 or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings 1080p, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
1440p
>Vega 56 or Vega 64 /w Freesync; 1070Ti if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
2160p(4K)
>Titan V

Storage
>Consider StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>Lock to 72fps on 144hz non-Gsync monitors with Nvidia cards to prevent tearing on more demanding games
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous:

Attached: 1530159928182.png (700x1069, 1.56M)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854003
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G2KG1965
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854042
intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc8i7hvk.html
youtube.com/watch?v=y2ekQXYEbbs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Trying again in the new thread.

I want to build a mitx computer but I am struggling to find a case. What mitx case woukd you recommend. So far I have found the Lazer3d case, even if that might be a tad to small.
I allready know almost everything else I want.
>CPU
Ryzen 7 2700X
>Motherboard
ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
>Graphics card
Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8GB AORUS 8G Video Card
>RAM
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

As a case I originally had the Silverstone Sugo SG13 wich to me looks so fucking cool, but it might be a bit big for my dorm desk. What small mitx case would you recommend? Feel free to remove/add stuff to fit your recommended case.

Drop 2,5k euro on 1440p 144Hz setup or just make 1080p 144Hz one and save some money is my dilemma.

What is your experience with 1440p? Do you think it's worth investing money in it instead of 1080p?

>"- ram prices might fall next year, or they will increase, most likely, no one really knows lol"
>currency is falling steadily for a year straight

Currently waiting for next gen intel, should I jew out and buy decently priced ram now in case of price inflation or be a responsible adult?
(Still on i5 haswell and have no direct need for a bigger pc).

Attached: 1471450501437.gif (500x282, 1.96M)

Attached: Average.png (1336x1998, 91K)

I've never had problems even when I played on 720s so probably not the best to be asking others for an opinion based thing. Ask yourself if you would rather have some money you'll probably blow on snacks or something or a set up that will give you a bit of a better hobby enjoyment. I mean if you eat out at all just stop for a few months and there's the cash you would have saved.

Is ultrawide a meme
The 60hz LG 3440x1440 screens are all a bit over 2 years old now, is that a reason to not buy one?

I am on a similar case and I most likely will just wait, for once, it's an unnecessary expense unless you need some new technology e.g. m.2x4 , which I do, but will wail until you can do proper passthrough on ryzen AND 7 series has igpu

When I was installing my wraith spire I dropped the screw driver on the mother board. I haven't finished the installation because I'm retarded (should have been obvious when I said I dropped a screwdriver) but will that cause too many problems? Its not deep, can barely feel it and between the lines but its my first time so I have no Idea what will happen.

do the pc turn on?

If I'm not overclocking, which would be better, 2600 or 2600X? Currently on a 1400, and that's with an Asus Strix B350-F Motherboard. Updated a few days ago, so should be ready for 2000-series.
The 1400 has been running stock since originally purchased, with a Be Quiet Pure Rock cooler.

Also, is it worth buying a refurbished video card from a computer retailer? It's a manufacturer refurbish, so how likely am I to get a card that was used for mining, sent in for RMA to the manufacturer, then refurb/resell?

Lastly, both cards from Ayysus, same model (DC2), is it worth spending another $25 (AUD) for 2GB more VRAM on an R9 380? Assuming >gaymes are going to be more and more VRAM dependent in the future. I know I can buy a better card if new, but I'm still on a GTX 660, so the 380 is still an upgrade, and is about the same price as a GTX 1050 Ti was.

>What is your experience with 1440p?

Its pretty easy to run at 60 fps, and well worth the extra pixels, it makes a whole lot more for impressiveness in media consumption and gaming. Most games looks better at 1440p medium settings than 1080p ultra settings.

>Do you think it's worth investing money in it instead of 1080p?

Yes.

It will be another five years at least until next gen monitors become decently priced and available, might as well invest in to a good 1440p 144hz ips setup.

Stick to 27" though, that is the prime size for 16:9 1440p monitors. You can always get some of your money back though since the top models in this class will have a decent second hand value (compared to meme ultra wide monitors with fake ips or va panels).

Unless something is visibly broken, you should be safe. There are only electronical components and their soldering points exposed on the top of a pcb and they are quite easy to inspect for damage, most stuff that is underneath the top layer is decently protected and not that sensitive or damage.

Complete the assembly and see if it turns on.

There is no "next gen Intel." Intel still can't do anything about their 10nm yields meaning Cannonlake and Icelake are basically vaporware. Investors are going to start panicking and if worst comes to worse Intel is going to have to sell their fabs and go to TSMC.

I was just checking out Asus 27 PG278QR LED ROG SWIFT DP 144Hz G-sync in shop and it looked damn nice. Do you think I should consider the 165Hz one if I wanna use 1080 Ti?

Proper heatsinks and no gaymer leds on mobos when?

After I installed it into the case I stopped for the night because I couldn't figure out the cords from the book. Then I came back before I went to sleep and found it in the case book so I was going to hook them up then continue. I need to figure out how to open the hatch to get the power supply cords into the main case and I planned on starting up again around 2 so I haven't even tried yet. The design , meshify c, seems retarded but its probably me again so I was planning on watching something on the case to find out since the book doesn't have it written just drawn and I can pull things that way. Wish there was just one book, I'm on 3 separate ones telling me to do all different things. When I watch videos on how to build it I'm at the hooking things up part but we don't have the same parts so its useless.

I think ULMB only goes up to 120 Hz.

Attached: 8400 btfo.png (1275x714, 348K)

Wasn't the point of that to push Ryzen to it's limit, by using an X470 board, Samsung B-die 3200MHz RAM and and a better aftermarket cooler? The price ends up being well over the 8400 at that point.

Proper heatsinks hopefully soon
Muh Gaymery RGB LEDs I can't see going away. Just turn them off desu

Steve says in the video its a waste of money

That doesn't answer the real question here. How much better does it do on Roblox?

AMDfags btfo'd lmao

Attached: cOXSCVg.png (1800x850, 209K)

I hate useless leds with a passion but I guess I'd be ok with turning them off if at least the other features are purely performance oriented.

bumping

>compact itx case might be to big

Buy a nuc instead, seriously.

I'd get an entry level 10th gen nvidia card if I was you, unless I could score a really good deal on an amd card.

You'll earn the investment back in the form of less noise and less power consumption. Unless you have a freesync monitor in your setup though, then it equals out.

>t. former r9 380 owner (it was solid for its time though)

Don't bother with the 144 vs 165, you barely notice the difference between them and gaming around ~100 fps is a good sweetspot. I only max out my 144hz in the settings in competitive games, in singleplayer games I typically balance things out around 100-120 fps.

As for choosing a 1440p, 144hz IPS monitor. They are all the same panel but with different extra features. The AOC variant is apparently the highest rated one in terms of general image quality, but the differences are not that significant so you can just pick whatever model you like the most or has the best deal available at the time.

>8400 outsold 2600
Haha amd btfo

I thought we all understood just because alot of people buy something doesn't make it good. Remember when people paid almost a dollar for a single rubber band in the shape of an animal? $4.99 for 5. That's what they went for an everyone had to have some. Maybe they were cheaper elsewhere but those were the only ones I saw.

doesn't matter, unless intel fixes their 10nm process, they will lose to anyone. They'd even lose to Mediatek in 3 years.

that 8700k sales

What the fuck are they doing with their huge pile of dosh exactly?

Were they to busy bribing their customers to forget investing in their R&D and manufacturing?

Attached: 1526150985493.png (512x447, 216K)

i really like this image, the artist made the center of her face slightly darker to give the illusion of a nose.

she looks very weird if you make that section the same color as the rest of her face

>tfw 8700k brought in almost as much revenue as all AyyMD chips together

B T F O
T
F
O

Attached: 9zZCmzc.png (1800x850, 198K)

The problem with 10nm is that Intel was overambitious.
In general, per node shrink, a 2x increase in the number of transistors is the expected norm. When Intel went from 22nm to 14nm, they increased the density 2.4 times, and had a LOT of trouble getting 14nm to work.
With 10nm, intel is trying to push 2.7 times more transistors than 14nm.
And THAT is why they're having so much trouble with it.

Someone at Intel decided how the 10 nm should look like and they stuck with it, but the chips that come out of it are usually broken and the best samples barely work. They are probably thinking that it is not worth changing the basic concept. The CEO was fired, most likely because he decided to keep going with their 10nm approach.

Looking for a good, decently-sized case with optical drive support around the $100 mark, currently eyeing these two.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854003

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G2KG1965

Leaning more towards the 450D, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

All their money went into mobile, look at how Intel has like 9000 different mobile SKUs for every possible TDP and form factor. Meanwhile Ryzen Mobile, while pretty good, has a much more limited selection right now. Intel literally thought that AMD would never release anything good ever again, so they were content with their server monopoly and didn't invest enough into their fabs since they had an advantage over competitors like TSMC, Micron, Samsung, GloFo, etc. Everyone else has caught up now though.

>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854042
smaller, and more stylish

Hi, Jow Forums. I'm in the middle of building a new PC I just got the parts for, and I have a couple of questions. I'm kind of new at this.

1. I got the processor seated on the motherboard just fine - felt it drop in and used the latch thing to lock it into place. The problem is that when I put the cooler on that came with it, three of the screws fit in just fine while the fourth is in the hole but won't tighten all the way (it still spins when I use a screwdriver on it). Is this okay? The cooler doesn't move and I can pick the motherboard up by it no problem.

2. I went to seat the motherboard after putting the I/O shield in. Most guides I've seen on building say you're supposed to put these little spacers in to stop the motherboard from shorting. The case came with some of these (or at least I think they are, they're little metal screws with another screw hole in the top) but when I went to put them in, the motherboard wouldn't fit in right to align with the I/O shield. I took them out and the motherboard fits perfectly when I simply screw it in and all of the ports align perfectly with the I/O shield. Do I need those spacers, or is it fine as-is?

Opinions?

Attached: 237.png (1144x629, 68K)

So my build has been up and running for a couple of weeks now, and everything still seems fine. Assuming that nothing breaks unexpectedly in the near future, I think I can confidently say that I'm "done" for now.

Now what I'm curious about is general PC maintenance, for example how often is it recommended to clean out the dust filters, is it better to turn off the PSU when turning the computer off, is it better to leave the monitor on all the time, etc.

Does /pcbg/ have any general tips?

I just don't want a computer that takes half my little ass desk. I think a nuc would be to small to even fit a PSU dude.

Let me preface this saying I'm in Australia, so prices are shit even without crypto meme shit. Also, shipping is typically about ~$20 where I'm located.
Am currently on a CPU & GPU combo of Ryzen 5 1400 & R9 270X. No idea how much to sell either for.
Looking at upgrading both. Selling both to try and make the upgrade a tad cheaper.
RX580 4GB for $379 at a place literally a few minutes walk away from here. On PCPP, the cheapest is $389. At this point, the prices have gone down a little bit, but we're still copping it here with shit prices, so the prices aren't likely to go down much more than this, it seems.
Ryzen 5 2600. Won't be overclocking. Also considering 1600, since it's ~$200, where the 2600 at its' cheapest is $240 due to EOFY, typically sitting at about ~$280.
Any suggestions?

I really like it when an artist manages to use a minimalistic art style and display human expressions without it feeling like its fake or exaggerated.

That sounds really dumb, in hindsight at least.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Intel's philosophy always been the opposite of that?
First shrink the node, then make a second/third generation followup that packs more shit in to each die?

Attached: 1479624800222.gif (245x245, 444K)

>three of the screws fit in just fine while the fourth is in the hole but won't tighten all the way
Make sure you're screwing them in a criss-cross pattern. If three of them fit, then the fourth one should always fit no problem.

I meant this one

intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc8i7hvk.html

Hey, guys! I have a quick question:

So, I am about to build a PC with the following:
i7 8700
GTX 1080
16GB DDR4 3000 Ram
750W Power Supply

Is it a good idea to pair it with a 1440p, G-Sync, 144Hz monitor if I aim for 144+ fps on e-sports titles and indie games and 90-100+ fps on AAA titles? (Granted that I will do some tweaking on the graphic settings)

Sorry if the question is too newbie-tier.

It will do that just fine, its quite a balanced build.

I assume you're doing an AMD build from the description of the socket.

1: youtube.com/watch?v=y2ekQXYEbbs
Note that if you remove the stock thermal paste you have to apply more of your own. the chip will not cool right unless you do.

2: Yes, standoffs are required. Some cases come with them pre-installed, but not all. Depends on the case in question. Without standoffs, the motherboard can short out on the case and brick itself.

>X470 board
b450 will do the same when it comes out

>Samsung B-die 3200MHz RAM
hardly more expensive than normal ram

>better aftermarket cooler?
Doesnt matter

Get an su800 ssd if you dont want more than 120gb
I prefer the tx550m if it's cheaper
Do you have a 1440p monitor? If so you could save about 100 euro going with 8400 and getting similar/better perfomance

The 8400 is already maxed out in some games. I'm sure he wants something that will last more than 2 years before being virtually unusable in new games.

Hey, that's pretty much perfect. Thanks user.

Thanks for the response!

Zen 2 is out soon (later this year if AMD is on-schedule) so you might be better off waiting to upgrade. Even if you don't buy one of the Zen 2 Ryzens, the previous gens will probably get price drops.

Stop talking out of your ass some will actually believe your lies
And in 2 years both cpus will be garbage

>germany
Germans love to cuck themselves, meanwhile in a country where you actually can have wrongthink opinions

Attached: chrome_2018-07-01_13-12-06.png (891x487, 204K)

DON'T BUY ANYTHING MADE BY KINGSTON.

Their quality-control is terrible.

>Kaby lake selling better than coffee lake
>1st gen ryzen STILL outselling coffee lake almost 9 months later
And to think there are still people here than dont think coffee lake was a complete flop

Attached: 1494523232402.jpg (960x878, 125K)

Not him, but as somebody on an old prebuilt, when is this supposed to be happening?

>B450 will do the same
Imagine being this delusional
>hardly more expensive
40 bucks is not little money
>aftermarket cooler doesnt matter to run 2600x at max oc
Imagine being this delusional

I still haven't decided what monitor to buy, i'm looking for one with 1440p and an ips panel

Attached: 1523055936729.png (1602x869, 2.95M)

damn I want an i7-7700k oh boy

>40 bucks is not little money
Apparently intelfags are now also poorfags

Meanwhile on AMD's worst cooler can do 4ghz overclock

Attached: fortheretardthatthinksthestealthcantOC.png (1336x1460, 52K)

Nice fake screenshot

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-01-21-22-54-124_com.google.android.youtube.png (1920x1080, 2.91M)

>i7 8700
If you arent overclcoking get a ryzen 2000x series

Also I am worried I may have installed my CPU backwards. Because in the book it said to line up a gold triangle to one corner but my whole CPU was covered in little gold squares and it was really loose and slid around when I put it in. When I was screwing in the silver part on top is when I dropped the screwdriver. But Even that part had a fan on it and I didn't know how to turn it on.

>Suttering is fake
hello intel shill

Attached: 1413913323099.jpg (1000x1000, 293K)

>talking about which one is more value
>says price is irrelevant now
The dude on the video says you need aftermarket cooler stop spreading lies
>cant comeback so he posts a wojak
Post side to side screenshots. They stutter the same faggot.

>The dude on the video
shill, If gaming is running at 50-60c on a shitty cooler its fine

>They stutter the same faggot.
AMD STUTTERS TOO REEEEEEE

imagine being this autistic that no one wants to buy intel that you constantly shill for them

Attached: 1495812218308.png (1228x1502, 944K)

I don't really want a prebuilt computer. I want a pc that I can upgrade and shit.
Just show me some good mitx cases.

Silverstone RVZ03B is one of the best mITX cases on the market.

The benchmark posted was run at 4.2GHz, which you can't do on the stock cooler.

>The overclocked configuration will require an upgraded cooler, but for the results shown here you’ll also need a quality motherboard and premium Samsung B-die memory.
Apparently a random dude testing cpus is a shill now
Im still waiting for side to side "screenshots" where 2600 doesnt stutter

Attached: 1496213504718.jpg (960x686, 157K)

I tried writing a proper response to this, but nah.
"I found one frame in a video which proves my entire thesis" You're talking out of your ass mate.

maybe you shouldn't be doing this

imho R9 380 is a bad purchase

aim for a 1060 6 gb if you have the funds for it, if you are on a tight budget something like used GRX 970 might be worth considering.

Can I ask a serious question.
Why is his hose so long?
It's even blocking the road.

>Im still waiting for side to side "screenshots" where 2600 doesnt stutter
12 thread cpus don't stutter dumbass

when do the 450 series motherboards come out? i want more motherboard options for my first build

Attached: BSBsRz7.jpg (480x520, 54K)

>he thinks the more threads the better
The general architecture matters more dumbass. Threads only play a role if you multitask like crazy.

>Somehow kabylake with 6 cores is magically better than amd because i hate amd immensely for some autistic reason

Nothing to see here

Attached: 16792858.png (1920x1080, 3.18M)

OY VEY DELID DIS NOW

Attached: jewcuck.jpg (679x758, 55K)

>Threads only play a role if you multitask like crazy.

Attached: 8400bf1.png (1920x1080, 2.11M)

antisemitism

>Threads only play a role if you multitask like crazy.

Attached: 88a.png (600x600, 112K)

Soon, just remember its only ok when intel takes 7 months to make low end boards

>proxy=proxy-3

>Its the same retard yesterday that was claiming not to be a shill
>spends this thread posting anti AMD images and shilling
>somehow not a shill
you should take the hint and leave, everyone here hates you

Who cares about an 8400?
Compare it to an 8600 or 8600k
inb4 price

This screenshot is utter lies.
I play bf1 on a 3930k at 4k. It's a 6 core chip from 2011 and I have HT turned off. I get 70fps @ 4k.
This screenshot is probably at 1080p, there is no way he's getting 70fps on that CPU.

Still shit

Attached: tweekedtimings.png (1024x768, 437K)

Has anyone experienced any problems with newer AMD cards? My (relatively outdated) AMD card died days after warranty ended (black screen when installing drivers) and I'm feeling a bit let down by them, so I wanna know if there are problems with more modern cards.

I'd go Nvidia but I'm not exactly keen of their business practices, but I also wonder if I should just not give a fuck about that and buy one anyway.

Attached: 1523953909042.jpg (500x500, 29K)

>I get 70fps @ 4k.
shit that never happened

Attached: 1456503141274.png (4096x4096, 95K)

Another misleading screenshot top kektus

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-30-15-45-19-164_com.google.android.youtube.png (1920x1080, 1.85M)

Because you are to retarded to see it

Attached: chrome_2018-07-01_14-06-40.png (299x145, 79K)

>there is no way he's getting 70fps on that CPU
it gets worse

Attached: 8400bf2.png (1920x1080, 2.37M)