Why DragonflyBSD?

I've bounced around distros for quite a while and I've become very familiar with Linux. I thought I'd try a BSD. I've tried out OpenBSD before but it was so foreign and scary to me so I went back to Linux.

Later I saw Dragonfly and noticed it used cryptsetup from Linux and thought, hey I'm familiar with that, why not give it a go?

I learnt a lot about BSDs through just installing Dragonfly. The way they handle device names and BSD disklabels are two things that had scared me when I tried OpenBSD but installing Dfly helped me understand.

The only problem I'm facing is that when I first set it up I used dports (Dfly's version of 'ports' from Free/OpenBSD - I'm familiar with it thanks to CRUX). The problem is that I installed half my packages through compiling from source, until I gave up and just used the pre-compiled binaries they provide so now there are some major version conflict sort of things with LibreSSL and it says I need to remove 90% of the programs I have to upgrade it. I'll probably end up making a backup of important files and starting from scratch - which may not be the easiest solution but I find that sort of thing fun.

Edit: another major problem I forgot to mention is that Dragonfly has very shitty NTFS drivers. It only allows read access and you can't copy files over 2GB. This was a major pain because the files I backed up from my Linux install were in an archive that was 160GB - on an NTFS drive.

So what I ended up doing was using 7zip's (on windows) handy feature of splitting an archive into equal sized pieces under 2GB and copied each file across, then put them together again. And it worked flawlessly.

Attached: i.jpg (395x320, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=dragonfly-bsd-hammer2&num=1
forums.freebsd.org/threads/zfs-vs-hammer.49789/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=HAMMER2-ZFS-Linux-Initial-Data
openbsd.org/innovations.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

In exchange of this free bump, OP can you explain why I should try DragonflyBSD?

Attached: 1530308785346.png (800x689, 203K)

What are the advantages over linux for use on desktop and server? How are the drivers?

>it says I need to remove 90% of the programs I have to upgrade it.
Can't you just delete your /usr/local files and start from scratch with binaries? I think that would work on freebsd since BSDs keep user installed software separate from system software like on linux where they're the same thing.

>Edit

The advantage is that it is one well put together OS instead of a kernel plus utils, drivers, etc.. So the *BSD's have the advantage of better optimization, documentation, and stability. While Linux does have some better applications for certain tasks, BSD overall has better structure compared to Linux.

>based on freebsd

(OP)
You haven't mentioned the hammer filesystem, a ZFS alternative, that I would have thought is the major attraction of DragonflyBSD.

I use ext2 for transferring between Linux and OpenBSD. Just doing a couple of google searches has already gotten me interested again in trying out Dragonfly, with the new Hammer2.

i only very recently heard about HAMMER (last bsdnow), is it really cool? like a network filesystem raid?

I don't know a lot about it.. I have installed FreeBSD with ZFS and Linux with BTRFS but barely explored their features. These might be a bit relevant -
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=dragonfly-bsd-hammer2&num=1
forums.freebsd.org/threads/zfs-vs-hammer.49789/

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=HAMMER2-ZFS-Linux-Initial-Data

These are my notes from BTRFS on Debian about a year ago-

---BTRFS INTEGRITY CHECK
install btrfs-tools
unmounted filesystem:
btrfs check --check-data-csum /dev/sda1
do not use --repair, it's still under testing

mounted filesystem:
btrfs scrub start /btrfs_mountpoint
btrfs scrub status /btrfs_mountpoint

Dillon forked the code long ago, they're different project now and most importantly dfly isn't cucked

Well yes but if drivers are shitty and software is inexistent who the fuck cares about that.
If you want a clean system with good support and a port system, go Slackware with sbotools. Make a full install so you'll never complain about dependency resolution. You'll have all the advantages of BSD with the Linux kernel.

slackware is just gnaa plus linux with a shitty package manager
it's nothing like a real BSD

Except it has no systemd, like BSD.
(which shouldn't matter... just sayin)

But it works very similarly to BSD and it does really work once installed unlike BSD :^)
Plus the package manager is great for what it does (installing, removing and upgrading)
I never had to install a dependency as every compilers are already installed. And sbotools does support dependency resolution. So do slpkg, sbopkg, slapt-get if you can't read a fucking info file.

But it's not BSD, it's still a GNU mess

The "BSD doesn't work" meme is the further from the truth that I've ever seen on this board. If you're a brainlet that only knows how to use the specific GNU tools and you don't have the mental capacity to read a man page, then yes it doesn't work for you, but for everyone else it is a perfectly usable and well built OS. Like another user said, unlike Linux distros which are composed of kernel + utils + drivers... The *BSD is usually an OS with all of that as separate pieces but working together and under heavy development and code review (apart from FreeBSD). So, just to resume: fuck you and your meme.

Attached: 1528632847863.jpg (2518x1024, 392K)

nice blog

>my toy OS actually did something!

wow, holy shit

I tell you what the real problem of BSD is and it's not going to be nice. You are all tech nerds and that's fine but you need to seduce at least one girl (male) or girl (female) who would unironically post on deviantart BSD anime tans/waifus, whatever. I'm not going to use OS I can't fell in love with.

Attached: ndxg.jpg (711x1000, 333K)

Already done

Attached: bsd_group_picture___final_by_c_quel.png (900x720, 470K)

>1 low quality picture
You are not even trying, are you?

is NTFS kernel driver even necessary when you can use NTFS-3g FUSE driver?

>when shitcoins put more effort into marketing waifus than BSD fags with their decade old pictures

Attached: cszwp7ygg8111.png (847x1200, 319K)

even on any given linux distro you're going to be dealing with at least one openbsd dev'd/maintained piece of software. openssh, libressl, pf, opensmtpd, etc.

>using 7zip's handy feature of splitting an archive into equal sized pieces
you might be interested in split(1) unix utility, merge is done with cat(1)

... but probably not pf, i got distracted mid-post.

top fucking kek

>unitonically criticizes the BSDs because they don’t have good enough anime waifu fan art
>posts Windows waifu

go back to /a/

Irrelevant argument. Theo is attractive, don't tell me he can't seduce some thot to draw waifus for free. FreeBSD is full of girls (usually males) and all of them do unconstructive shit. Trust me, put effort to waifus and BSD will skyrocket, they are the best advertisement.

the best thing about OBSD is that you can type `man program` and the docs will be thorough and comprehensible

the difference in manpage quality between native tools and linux ports is really noticeable

don't forget tmux :^)

that varies with every package though

yes, so it's like this:
>OBSD-written man page = consistently high quality
>other-written manpage = a complete toss-up

the last time I went to libreplanet, the only substantial complaint I could find about OBSD was some politics-talk about the license

Friendly reminder that BSD license is best license (MIT is okay).

Attached: Licenses.jpg (1200x1500, 309K)

Do you have experience with ampps running on *BSD? It worked flawlessly on Debian but I'd like to make a switch.

What is different between 2-clause bsd and mit?

MIT and ISC license is literally the same thing

can recommend reading openbsd source code if you wanna learn how unix like os works. the code is really neat and easy to understand unlike linux.

fwiw the plan 9 source code is insanely good...

been meaning to give plan9 a shot.. I guess the code would have to be good given the decoupling from traditional unix dev types.

Wouldn't say insanely. There is some crucial simple optimization missing in every file in name of muh simplicity. That could be fine for learning except it uses non-standard libc which makes it sometimes unfamiliar on first look.

Does that carry some problems or what do you mean? I'm not very familiar with BSDs

nope. ignore the autist.

it's just kind of shitty

if you're going to run FBSD you might as well run linux

it's not OBSD

meh, OpenBSD is about having hyper-security that goes beyond what even commercial servers need.

FreeBSD has a stronger community, better release cycles, and quicker support for hardware.

i'll take FreeBSD any day of the week, unless i start working as a leaker of confidential documents for WikiLeaks

Could you elaborate on that, does it do differently compared to other BSDs?

Not only that, their goal is to also make a very clean, extremely well-documented and complete OS, with a very active and strong code audit. If they have a software on their base system that has a messy code or doubtful security they take upon themselves to build a new software, better software with the same finality. A perfect example of this is OpenSSH or tmux instead of GNU screen. There are many other examples on openbsd.org/innovations.html

BSD is garbage.

Why not dragonfly BSD:
1. Can't fix Intel 8260 driver for more than a year, when it works in every other BS /Linux distribution
2. Don't allow special characters in passwords
3(optional). No support even for wine.

this. OBSD is just a higher-order product. the -current branch is just better than any other OS that exists, plain and simps

why would I ever fuck around with any retarded linux shit when I can use the default utilities? most of them are already the best, see: pf, smtpd, spamd, httpd (unless you need fancy features, then try nginx), doas, tmux, LibreSSL, cwm,, rcctl, pkg_tools, basically the whole system