Are we in a tech bubble?

Or have we reached a permanent plateau of prosperity?

Attached: 1500872305784.png (664x735, 197K)

Other urls found in this thread:

levels.fyi/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Trump is going to kill us all.

Maybe we can force google to only use programmers from the blacks-only school they operate

Attached: google black.png (913x833, 410K)

by making us all rich?

working at a tech giant is miserable. you wouldnt believe how much bullshit red tape and inefficient processes there are just to get a simple little thing done.

Pay is nice, but the job is soulless.

I used to work at a startup making small no-name apps for rando companies as a contractor and at least you had your creative itch satisfied.

this. i've been working at a large fintech firm for over a year now and i want to blow my brains out.

Fucking americans you prostitute any concept of education or academia

t. poorfag with no career

>baseless accusation by a nobody on an anonymous internet board

The bubble peaked in 2014.

Got shittier Microsoft internship salary at $1700/month

Attached: 1527366563457.jpg (480x309, 16K)

Similar to lawyers and accounting, the jobs will dry up and people will have to be very high skill to remain competitive.

Attached: 1520859300265.gif (600x525, 714K)

if i got 400k a year i would do almost anything short of being gang raped 12 hours a day

I'd get raped 12 hours a day as long as I didn't have to cum every time.

how so? the amount of accounting jobs are only increasing according to the DOL anyway. Maybe in the future when more of this stuff is automated but even then there are laws in place to keep them employed.

>not enjoying being raped
i shiggy diggy

11 hours of anal rupture it is then

you start Monday

>Microsoft
It's like you want to be second tier

test post

It could go the way of programming in Japan -- the salary goes to shit and it turns into a pajeet fest

Accountants at the big 4 work 80 hour weeks. The top 25% of lawyers do 80% of work. Mind you, this isn't a bad thing. It will only increase the quality of software that we have.

kiss your hobbies, energy and motivation goodbye. I hope the money is worth your youth. Maybe buying fancy things can temporary fill the void in your life

for 3-4 months of the year at most, other wise its 40 like everyone else.

>what is working for 4-5 years at most and neeting for the rest of your life off rentals+investments.

Attached: 27014094_350_350.jpg (350x350, 33K)

Ouch

Its not that simple buddy

Where do you work yourself user?

explain to me how its not that simple, stock market averages about 6 to 7 percent growth every year for the past 100 years, if you can live of 3 percent of your investment growth you dont have to work. If the US economy takes a permanent down turn and destroys your equity your money is probably worthless anyway.

theres' a reason why virtually everyone that's invested in the stock market are not rich

Account for inflation, cost of living, rent, life expenses, taxes, taxes, taxes, and saving for retirement. Your net gain every month will only be a few thousand at best so even if you manage to save up a million dollars over one decade, you can't live off of that for the rest of your life.

Even if you land a job making $160k at a bay area tech giant (hint: you wont, even if you try really fucking hard), you'll barely be better off than making $80k in some small town

Attached: bay area cost of living.png (637x413, 45K)

How are prices if you decide to live ...say an hours drive away?

If you want to commute 2 hours each way you can probably save a significant portion on rent, but then you're spending literally 4 fucking hours travelling. I hope you like sitting around waiting in traffic jams, user. This is cali we're talking about

>impossible to find in Silicon Valley
>>waaa!! why dont devs who live in this super expensive city work for my cheap wages?
get fucked

Just account for potential expenses and grow your investment pile as needed until you reach that number, live in a low cost of living area. You can save a shit load of money, most people just dont realize how much they spend on dumb shit they dont need. If you have 2MM in assets you can live on a 3% withdrawal at 60k a year easy.

one of the tier 1 company

This is what podcasts are for.

kek, this is why you'll always be poor

It's because most people are retards who want fancy things shilled to them by advertisements. In addition, they also think they're smart enough to micromanage their investments.

yea, although 4 hours are probably too much for me.
I wouldn't mind 2 hours though. getting in some good audio-book time.

explain how saving money makes you poor please

We don't have a labor shortage or a skills gap. Deport all illegals, visa workers, anchor babies, and indefinitely halt all future immigration.

It has already prostituted itself.
Concept of "education" or "academia" doesn't deserve any respect.

>neeting for the rest of your life off rentals+investments
>people believe this

jesus fucking christ.
and what happens when your delusion breaks? you'd have a job gap that would make you near unhirable.

good luck moron.

Id do 60 hour weeks hard physical labour for 400k a year, 3-5 years of that and id retire for the rest of my life.

TRUMP 2020

gib 400k job

That wouldn't be rape then.

>400K for 4-5 years
>obviously there will be taxes and shit deducted but that's about 1.6m-2m gross
What he said is perfectly possible to pull off if you make decent investments and don't piss money away like a retard. Just move out to some place in the midwest for cheap and you'd be good to go.

you're also living in oakland

I hope they do so that their software stops working and we can get some actual competition again.

FUCK YOU! FUCK DRUMPH! and fuck white people!!!

My rent is under 1k a month and I live 15 minutes from Google HQ.

Attached: 1514711139441.jpg (706x951, 92K)

how many roommates do you have in your 300 sqft apartment?

whats the catch?

Attached: bay area rent.png (768x1159, 462K)

I have a decent 1 bedroom w/garage, big yard, no other houses next to me 15mins from SF for $2500. I probably make $30k more a year than I would in an area with lower cost of living. If you are in tech it's still worth living and working in SF bay for the career opportunities. I have friends that live in Portland, Seattle, etc. working at big companies, you just don't have the ability to negotiate your salary as high as you can in Silicon Valley. There are so many opportunities for talented people that companies will go a long ways to hold onto you. In Portland or Austin or wherever companies know they can pay the market average and you will probably not go anywhere.

you factoring in tax and cost of living, buddy? I live in santa barbara and shits so fucking expensive. $3.60 for gas, $10-$15 for a cheap meal at a restaurant (plus tip), $1500 for a tiny ass apartment that would be $600 in a small town, etc

Unless you're living off of rice and water you're gonna be paying these costs

even if you had a $400k salary (hint: no you wont), you'd be paying like half of it in taxes

Bedroom and shared bath in house.
>bike to work
>free food at work

Attached: 1519672007501.jpg (768x1100, 107K)

based googler

how many roommates? 2? 3?

2 women, one has private bath I share with other.

Attached: 1530469949326.png (664x735, 78K)

aaaaand there it is. 3 roomates and you pay over a thousand dollars for a bedroom in an apartment. BTW, sharing a bathroom with a woman = top lol

>working at a tech giant is miserable. you wouldnt believe how much bullshit red tape and inefficient processes there are just to get a simple little thing done.
Most annoying thing is when you have overbearing code reviews from someone who wants a promotion soon.

>you factoring in tax and cost of living, buddy?
Of course. I'm a 32 year old married boomer so I don't go out and have fun, so don't really spend much money on anything that costs more in CA than it would anywhere else. You can't compare Santa Barbara to SF Bay just because they are both expensive. SB is just expensive because it's nice and people like to retire there. You aren't gaining opportunities by living there as a young person in tech. You can only really compare SF Bay to smaller tech hubs like Portland, Seattle, Austin, etc. where yes you can probably get a similar apartment/house for half the cost, but it's up to you whether the loss of opportunity/salary cap is worth it.

hahaha, funny you mention that. Im currently dealing with some ultra nerd who will literally not pass my code review if he finds a single thing that could be optimized. Hes forcing me to re-do the layout for a simple screen using constraint layouts instead of standard relativelayouts (android stuff) and he is citing a blog showing a .1ms performance gain. point fucking one milliseconds for another fucking week of development time. Shits ridiculous.

I said under 1k user. I pay 800 flat including everything.

wow, what a waste of money. I sleep in my car and eat/shower/live at work. get on my level

I live in alone in 1200 sq ft. single apartment for around 950$ a month in Palo Alto and it's pretty cozy along with my 150k (without bonuses) starting salary at the job I was offered straight out of college.

Attached: 896[1].gif (697x458, 3.3M)

>when your brain is so rot the only thing you can post is Jow Forums bullshit no matter how unrelated
You almost feel bad about these people's condition.

how many roomates?

Got dream internship in cyber-security and automation for 3000k a month plus a job with them when I graduate that'll put me in the 150k a year range and they'll pay for my graduate classes.

I live in a cardboard tent and wear the same shit every day. I cant believe you losers spend $2000+ just to have 4 walls to come home to at night. Hell, I can move on a whim if I wanted. Just last week I lived at the park, then later I lived by the dock. Saving so much money with this $170k bay area tech wage. suck it, cuckboiz

Sadly IT jobs in this city are all contractor held or state government positions. The state IT jobs are all gradually going over to the contractors. Contractors make bank. the bottom barrel help desk type, make 18 an hr, I shit you not. Only state IT left is upper management/devs. So if your already a state employee w time invested and trying to land over in IT your shit outta luck,unless you really wanna be a manger and deal with bullshit/stress/paperwork. (oh and you gotta know someone who has clout cause that's the other thing in order to get anywhere in state government, knowing people). Oh you think, I'll just quit and be a contractor. Not so fast, you've got 12 yrs in already. Only 16 or so to go till you hit retirement eligibility. Plus you'd be throwing away 12 yrs. You could stay and retire at 50. (w/full pension). Quit and your looking at being 65 before you can retire. So your fucked. Only option is to put in time, retire, then do something else.

>3000k

Attached: 1512438305399.jpg (221x250, 9K)

>but it's up to you whether the loss of opportunity/salary cap is worth it.
For the average techie, there is really no benefit. Sure, if you are a genius on your way to a lead engineering position it makes sense but most people will max out between senior and lead and that's their career.

I saw that's where my career was going and relocated to a smaller tech hub and it was the best decision I made.

If all you can make is 200k, then move out of cali. But if you can make 400-700k at tier one software corps, then it's a very hard decision.

Yeah, but you had the opportunity to find out. Maybe someone has what it takes, maybe they don't, but in the bay you can jump to any number of startups and bite off way more responsibility than you've had before in a new position, if it doesn't work you have plenty of fallback jobs, it doesn't look odd on your resume to do a bunch of 2 years stints. Sounds like you are in the climbing within one company mindset, nothing wrong with that, but in many places that's the only thing you can do, in the bay area you just have a much wider range to explore and find out what works best, while at the same time making more money to the degree the cost of living is about a washout vs. smaller hubs.

>3000k a month
>3 million a month

Where are you, zimbabwe?

Attached: 15-space-ghost-coast-to-coast.w529.h352.jpg (529x351, 61K)

Protip: Find a remote job stationed in the bay area and then move to Thailand. You'll live in $400 a month and be making a fat american wage. Just dont tell customs lol

>in the bay area you just have a much wider range to explore and find out what works best
CA in general feels like it's lost the plot. I worked for a few startups and I had no idea what the product even was. They just hired someone from big tech and payed him a fortune to lead the place. (BTW, that was where I saw the 300+k range because it's ideas men spending investors money. The friends I have working in the big tech companies aren't pulling more than 150 in senior roles)

The smaller tech cities have companies that are far more grounded which makes it make sense long term to stay around rather than to change job every year and learn a new codebase, etc.

But each to their own.

>big tech companies aren't pulling more than 150 in senior roles
you've been misled user levels.fyi/

237k for 1 year of experience?

Does not seem accurate

Attached: someshit.png (666x222, 17K)

that sounds about right for someone with multiple offers. that's total comp btw, not salary.

>salary + stock grant
>salary for all is below 150
Thanks, you just proved my point. Stock options are an entirely different can of worms when it comes to payment but I'd suggest you always take cash as a rule.

By the way, these senior jobs are extremely hard to get. You are literally competing with the entire world for these jobs. Every H1B is gunning for Google or Facebook, so it comes back to my initial post.

Earning a good, stable 100k in a second tier city is always going to be better than living in fear in SF knowing that there will always be someone younger and better poised to take your job.

those are not stock option, those are real stock.

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.

>permanent plateau of prosperity
Until the recently deregulated banks start pushing loans on people who can pay them back and the whole thing comes crashing down like 2008, yeah.

Attached: 100.jpg (580x282, 95K)

Most of the tech industry's ultimate output ravages biological systems on nearly every level, not even bothering to mention the ecological impact of minding rare earth metals, manufacturing, maintaining infrastructure, and shipping these things.

Anyway, given that wireless devices are going to render most people incapable of producing viable offspring, I think it's safe to say that it's all quite unsustainable.

It's an initial grant that vests over time, like all tech companies do with RSUs as performance bonuses. Like the other guy that actually works in the industry said, you don't know shit. A TINY minority of people make more than $150k a year salary in tech.

No, Google isn't at fault for anything here. What is the problem for modern startups is the psychotic culture surrounding it. Management and investors take all while the actual talent is expected to work long hours at entry level pay in the hopes that they don't get stiffed on their options and equity. Nobody in their right mind wants to leave a stable position for that bullshit, but nobody wants to admit the problem in the hopes they might cash out themselves.

Attached: 1412537290586.jpg (640x416, 41K)

my grant was 400k+ vesting over 4 years, total comp without yearly stock refresh is 300k. this is only level 4. New grad is hired at level 3.

>2008 was the banks' fault
No it wasn't, you commie. It was the poor's fault. They're the ones who didn't pay their loans. Fuck poor people.

I partially agree, the banks were responsible of lending people's money to people that wouldn't be able to pay in the first place. They should've been more thorough with their background checks.

Attached: 1515720295014.jpg (1200x629, 78K)

>this thread
>every fucking day
so Jow Forums, what do you think is the purpose of this psyops campaign?

Attached: JTRIG_deception_p24.jpg (1280x960, 278K)

Over 4 years that's low 100s, with 25k+ in stock (assuming it's NASDAQ that's definitely not a safe bet in 2018) on the company's performance. You'll have to pay taxes on this if you sell it which makes it far less in reality.

Just cash is 75k.

>new grad is hired at lvl3
Which would be between 60 and 75k, which makes complete sense.

You aren't making the point that this is some 200k starting salary job. You could get 80 to 100k without worrying about stock as salary in most verticals.

You're somewhat right, but it was the banks' fault for poorly managing those risky loans. If they did business better, they wouldn't have handed out loans like candy.