Tomorrow is my first day as a linux sysadmin. What the fuck do I do?

Tomorrow is my first day as a linux sysadmin. What the fuck do I do?

Attached: 2000px-Tux.svg.png (2000x2357, 554K)

sudo pacman -Syu

update acrobat reader

install gentoo

and install adobe reader

Turn off exchange?

B-but I'm using Debian
Will do, thanks

find a new job as soon as possible.

it's the worst garbage ever unless you're literally the scummy faggot with a smug attitude and like doing fuck all and taking weeks to do basic shit.

wew

install tmux

touch nothing unless you are required to, use headphones and enjoy the server room cooling

Switch to Windows

How did you get the job in the first place?

Install wine

Nothing. If you're good.

kys

Attached: 1408760886438.png (504x723, 243K)

Linux just werks, unless you have a laptop with Intel and Nvidia... Prime doesn't work as well as it does with Windows but I think that's on Nvidia and Intel to fix. My opinion

Attached: FB_IMG_1530366781935.jpg (1280x1280, 72K)

Make a clone of your disk stack and run it in a VM to perform tests on whenever the bossman comes down looking to do an upgrade.

Trust me, the extra hours it takes to set up and test will be better than getting reamed for unexpected server downtime.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Write this in a command line:
sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda
It's the GNU/linux surprise!

I like this idea

Install gentoo on your thinkpad.

Install Crux

quit

>Not having a staging environment
Are there places like that?

This. Use your free time to automate stuff to get more free time and browse Jow Forums.

>install gentoo
from Github

You install Gentoo or GuixSD on all servers.

Yup. Or staging is fucked, 'cos automatic installs and snapshots are either hard or the work of the devil. We routinely have two weeks of shit hitting the fan after doing a production release.

>Unix team at work is actually like this

Read their documentation
Check the backups anf disaster recovery plan
Check the snapshots
Signup to the security mailinglist for debian
Get familiar with their ansible / puppet / whatever stuff
Get familiar with their ELK / Splunk
Get familiar with their monitoring solution

Don't do anything on production if not absolutely needed. Only deploy stuff to prod after testing it on staging and only with ansible / puppet so you don't miss something.

Watch anime until someone tells you to do something

it's fucking awful

>hurr durr muh security
>devs are stuid and can't write secure code
>proceeds to write shell garbage that calls subshells with unsanitized inputs
# using echo and not printf '%s\n' shiggy
echo "shell shit here $var from external" | at "some time bro"
>muh shell scripts are portable and perl is the only good scripting language.
>anything new is bad cuz portable or other dubious reasons.
>muh younicks
>systemd is NOT OK even though service, timers and path units do everything better than "cron"ing everything
>take eons to provide storage for data and compute resources to process it.

FUCKING HATE THEM. thankfully "the cloud" is the new meme here so the end of the tunnel from this HELL is almost here.

been working as a dev/engineer but want to be a sys admin what are the steps?

Idk. Maybe get a real job?

>timers better than cron
off yourself

ya, very much so.

it's also telling that you glossed over the concept of service units and path units. but let's just stick to timers for now.

advantage of timers over shitty cron:
1) Testable. unlike shitty timers, you can create, reload systemd and start them. then immediately see when they will run with systemctl list-timers
2) since the timer can only trigger services, you can manually run the service to ensure it actually works and have all the positives of a service unit. such a configurable run environment, user, cleanup routines, CPU accounting, secure temp, a shit load of things that smelly cron does not just have.

now go back to your shitty "muh anti systemd" safe space and fuck out of this thread.

Trips of truth.
Unused resources are wasted resources.

Not the user you were arguing with, but it's interesting to read your thoughts on systemd as someone who's recently had to learn how to set up and configure unit files on my VPS so that I could get the web applications I wrote hosted. I haven't fucked with CRON yet, but I've heard about it and have some very general understanding of what it does, but in my limited experience with systemd, it seems very straightforward and easy to use for my purposes, which isn't exactly enterprise software, but whatever.

systemd as a whole makes it easier to eventize your system and has a better ui to visualize what the fuck is going on. it's a good system.

lucky for you, you have a clean slate so you can really appreciate it without any legacy cruft to misguide you. good luck.

The more I argued with them, the better I came to know their dialectic. First they counted on the stupidity of the users, and then, when there was no other way out, they themselves simply played stupid. If all this didn't help, they pretended not to understand, or, if challenged about binary logs, they changed the subject in a hurry, quoted platitudes which, if you accepted them, they immediately related to entirely different matters, and then, if again attacked, gave ground and pretended not to know exactly what you were talking about. Whenever you tried to attack one of these apostles, your hand closed on a jelly-like slime which divided up and poured through your fingers, but in the next moment collected again. But if you really struck one of these fellows so telling a blow that, observed by the office, he couldn't help but agree, and if you believed that this had taken you at least one step forward, your amazement was great the next day. The systemd apologist had not the slightest recollection of the day before, he rattled off his same old nonsense as though nothing at all had happened, and, if indignantly challenged, affected amazement; he couldn't remember a thing, except that he had proved the correctness of his inferior init and services management subsystem the previous day.

Sometimes I stood there thunderstruck. I didn't know what to be more amazed at: the way they called bugs features or the amount of memory their shitware ate up. Gradually I began to hate the Poettering cocksuckers.

Attached: 1.png (501x503, 298K)

I will start a job as a Linux admin soon as well. Though I don't really know shit about Linux administration.
I can do "cd .." "pwd" "ls -a" and stuff, but I don't know anything about complex shit like PXE network booting, Kerberos authentication, AppArmor policy violations, and all that.
I hope my boss won't notice i'm a brainlet

>B-but I'm using Debian
I'm sorry

>being this jealous
How's managing that garbage 2003 Exchange/AD server going for you?

Attached: l17Ahpu.jpg (368x381, 15K)

clear the caches for a speed boost

sudo rm -rf -y /

just used this instruction and my computer got slightly faster

Get certs, they're actually useful in the sysadmin world

it's not since I don't do admining shit anymore.

>shilling this hard

Attached: fishing.jpg (600x600, 18K)

pls no bully

watch some youtube videos until bob from finance asks you about why microsoft outlook freezes all the time

Bookmark serverfault and you're all set

Answer this OP
I need a job too

I alos use linus

Get a Mac.

this, install them google ultron

He said he's a sysadmin not a retard

> you're literally the scummy faggot with a smug attitude and like doing fuck all and taking weeks to do basic shit.
literally me

Stick to Ubuntu
Everything runs on that shit

Give me ur job

>assuming any organization or corporation would rely on any such unstable trash

>until bob from finance asks you about why microsoft outlook freezes all the time

and what do i do then? maybe it helps if i re-install the operating system? i don't really know much about Windows

This is actually pretty goddamn accurate.

Do what this guy says.

lol

ez as shit. how many sheks they paying joo, guy? i get 100k plus benefit etc for doin nuttin at all. i literally just pretend like i am doing work. i sometimes create horrible issues, so our company gets down time, the i am to the rescure. feels good mane sorry for nigger style typing, on phone

Fresh pasta for the masses

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

This wouldn't work without sudo.
and by the way, don't do this if you don't want your hard drive wiped and filled with random bits.

What do you need to know?