sifive.com/products/hifive1/
youtube.com/watch?v=NTMxZgoBp84
github.com/ucb-bar/riscv-boom
youtube.com/watch?v=wPrUmViN_5c
lowrisc.org
sifive.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

never

In a year or two. There are RISC-V dev boards out there now but they're expensive garbage (basically a $1k RPi Zero). You might as well buy a Talos II workstation and just use that. It's incredibly powerful and would be money well spent for a freedoms respecting system that can be used for many years to come. You can install RHEL, Debian, Gentoo, OpenBSD, NetBSD, or whatever else has a PPC port.

Attached: sc.png (478x198, 9K)

>risc-v
there is a faggot documenting himself slowly building a "discrete" cpu
youtube.com/watch?v=yLs_NRwu1Y4
doesnt really look that exciting

Someone fill me in on RISK-V?

I thought x86 was CISC.

sifive.com/products/hifive1/

youtube.com/watch?v=NTMxZgoBp84

It's a new architecture entirely. Not x86.
It's a completely open ISA, able to be implemented freely, rather than being stuck under a duopoly like we are in now with x86. And with it being so open and free, it may lead to a future without hardware botnets.

One thing is clear to me, whether you're a fan of one thing or another, is that x86 needs to die. It's all botnet. Intel has the IME, AMD has the PSP (or Secure Processor as they call it now), both have major vulnerabilities, particularly Intel, which seems to have a new one come out every few weeks, etcetc.

stuff like those POWER workstations and the upcoming RISC-V developments is a step in the right direction. The Free Software battle has been won in terms of creating the tools. There's freedoms-respecting options for practically every use case and task, with gaymen being the only lacking area. Getting everybody onto free software is a whole different story, but the programs are pretty much all there.

It's hardware that we really have to fight for now. I dream of a day where people, companies, everyone will be able to buy a computer and feel safe knowing that they own it. That it's theirs and it's not fucking them in the ass in the shadows. For now people either live with the knowledge that their shit is probably compromised/easily compromisable, or (in the majority of cases) live in blissful ignorance to the unethical spyware botnet they're being screwed by.

Terry was right. Bill Gates did have a herd of nigger cattle, only it's not just Microsoft. It's the people who make our hardware too.

I hope for a brighter future.

Attached: tech-gone-wrong.jpg (2730x1536, 435K)

Maybe in 50 years.

RISC-V shills are the stupidest people on this board
>m-muh botnet free ISA
who the fuck do you think is going to diffuse these?

there are two real options here
either it stays as a hobby CPU and we might see some RISC-V impl's on outdated tech like
45/90nm or larger processes

or it gets botneted at the fab when someone attempts to use something modern like 28/16/14 etc

>2020 is going to be the year of the artisan ISA you just wait!

Attached: 1530301377364.jpg (412x398, 61K)

wew another
>RISC-V i-i-is better than x86! you'll s-see!
no architecture is gonna beat amd64 with muh open source

>x86 needs to die. It's all botnet.
x86 is botnet? That's gibberish.

Attached: Inigo-Montoya-WORD-MEANS.jpg (1000x624, 113K)

kill yourself shill

>Intel shill is still having nightmares about MIPS and PPC

>amd64
He doesn't even seem to understand the basic subject. RISC-V is an Instruction Set Architecture.

So is AMD64.

So you-are/he-is referring to the x86-64 ISA and not the AMD processors that implement it?

Having compatible slow free chips is a good threat to keep the manufactures of nonfree fast chips in check. Read pic related.

Attached: Exit,_Voice,_and_Loyalty_book_cover.jpg (252x394, 32K)

>x86 is botnet? That's gibberish.
It means that there are no actual implementations of x86 that aren't botnet, which is true.

"x86-64" is called AMD64 by everyone but Intel and Microsoft.

github.com/ucb-bar/riscv-boom
It's coming. I'm hoping for something practically useful in five years or so, but there'll probably be fun toys in the vein of RPies before then.

Forget the botnet, its a trash ISA

What about J-core? It's essentially SuperH, but open sores.

RISC is good
youtube.com/watch?v=wPrUmViN_5c

I'll never understand how she became an A-lister. She can't act. She's fuck ugly. She's dumb as fuck. Just don't get it.

>Someone fill me in on RISK-V?
>I thought x86 was CISC.
the distinction between risc and cisc died some 30 years ago

This. x86 instructions are translated on the fly into internal RISC microinstructions.

Fuck this meme and fuck you.
If your processor has a builtin MINIX subsystem, I refuse, absolutely REFUSE to refer to it as being in any way "reduced".

That's on the management engine, not on the actual CPU itself.

never ever lmao
get fucked freetards

No, you can't get out of this one on a technicality.

*blocks your path*

Attached: VIA-QuadCore-E-Series-Logo-150x150.jpg (150x150, 67K)

get a load of this corporate drone

are you that Brazilian engineer by any chance?

To be fair, if you'd take away the legacy cruft (that noone uses for new programs anyway) and just clean up the encoding a bit, it's not actually that trashy nowadays. It has gained a somewhat reasonable number of registers, it's mostly orthogonal (excluding a couple of offending instructions), it has gotten a reasonable FP ISA with SSE, and having the option of using memory operands doesn't exactly hurt. RISC-V is certainly better, but the badness of x86 is exaggerated.

The vast majority of x86 instructions are decoded 1:1 into µops.

So, blocker of my path, can you point out the documentation that allows independent BIOS implementations and microcode updates?

Are you actually retarded? The IME has nothing with the main CPU to do, it's a completely separate system.

That is on CICSC not RISC

I can't, I was just pointing out that not all x86 processors are proven to be botnet. Even if you don't want to buy that chink shit you can still get an AMD A10-6800K, which doesn't have the PSP

x86 is CISC. RISC is better. RISC-V is a new open architecture that should usher in a golden age for embedded system designers, which really benefits everyone.

enjoy no gaems

The marketing jews have completely dissolved your ability to think critically. There's no reason to call x86-64 "AMD64" unless you feel compelled to have an autistic fanboy fit.

>Implying IME has any effect on the fetch-decode-execute cycle

a raspberry pi type computer - next year from these guys

lowrisc.org

lappy/server/desktop in 3 years (my best guess)

if you want to play with the ISA on real hardware, you can already buy RISC-V microcontrollers

sifive.com

AMD64 was the original name, and it only "changed" when Intel decided it was time to give up Itanic and wanted in on it, because of course they couldn't admit that AMD actually did anything meaningful.

having a "linux of hardware" as an alternative to the current intel/amd jew-opoly would be awesome

Attached: David_A_Patterson.jpg (300x200, 20K)

Does that mean you could potentially make an open source sega saturn?