Baking GPUs

Hello Jow Forums!

The other day I made a thread about a dying HD 7950 which was showing fixed (relative to the image being displayed) horizontal red lines (they were red when over a dark background, when over brigther images they were light blue. Although when over a pure white background they didn't show at all) that did not scroll with the images being displayed (they were fixed) and did NOT show on screen shots. Almost like a screen problem (it wasn't. I tested it with another monitor, cable and video port. Same lines).
They also showed up exactly the same in bios/post (before drivers) and windows wouldn't boot up with the GPU driver installed. But it would work "normaly" without the driver installed, just with the damned lines overlaying everything.

I mentioned that I had disassembled the whole PC and cleaned it and the videocard minuciously and it still gave the same lines. I also said that I tried baking it in the oven without success.

>Well, today I'm proud to inform anyone interested that baking it for 5 minutes more (15 min vs 10 min the first time) and with the oven's gas valve a little more open (Marking ~220°C instead of ~200°C) did the trick!!!

It now works perfectly again, and although it might die definitely in a matter of months (or less), IT IS NOT DEAD YET, to all of you who said it was dead. Thanks goys!! Keep on buying new intel and nvidia stuff!

Attached: InOven.jpg (1600x1200, 459K)

Other urls found in this thread:

overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/606658-THE-OVEN-TRICK-WORKED
hardforum.com/threads/holy-crap-it-worked-dead-video-card-resurrected.1421792/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflow_soldering
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Oh, lord! I love this board!!

Attached: 2bjin.jpg (800x330, 107K)

384bit memory bus width rocks!! It has the same memory bandwidth as the laughable RX 580's 256bit bus!

Attached: TahitiDieShot.jpg (580x538, 151K)

This guy saved a mac book by baking it's motherboard. Make way for the glorious board baking!!

Attached: IMG_4928.jpg (500x375, 67K)

Yes, yes!
The first time I tried baking it, it didn't gave out any smell at all.
Now this time it did smell a little, and that's exactly when I knew it had worked!!

just so you know, "baking" your GPU or other hardware tends to cause big problems that guarantee failure down the line. You can "get it working" again this way and it will last you anywhere from weeks to two or three months. Good luck to you.

overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/606658-THE-OVEN-TRICK-WORKED

hardforum.com/threads/holy-crap-it-worked-dead-video-card-resurrected.1421792/

Some people even managed to bring smartphones back to life by doing this!!

well, it's better than nothing!

I know it's only a temporary fix, after all, it was already dying before (the overlayed lines and all).
But why would the oven temperature break anything?? I mean, aren't those parts subjected to temperatures like this in the factory?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflow_soldering

Or are you just afraid the goyim would buy new hardware at a slower pace if they all knew about this trick, moshe???

This guy baked his gpu upsidedown. And it still worked!!

Attached: 8800baked.jpg (1600x1200, 568K)

baked HP notebook

Attached: 100_5729.jpg (800x600, 146K)

circuit pancake

Attached: 2424358506_90dbc24b64.jpg (500x375, 130K)

Why? because a Jewtube video told you? I've baked two GPUs and a motherboard. All of them never failed again.

The classic baked eletronic: XBOX360

Attached: 0602090047.jpg (768x1024, 320K)

Fun times. I just towel tricked mine.

the guy even claims that the heatgun did NOT do the trick, while our friend, the classic OVEN DID IT!

Really?? And how long has it been since you did that?

2014 with an AMD 7970. Every time I've baked something I've always made sure to improve the cooling afterwards. It's usually temp changes causing the fuck up in the first place, so if you just keep using it as you were before it will probably go bad again. Improve the cooling, better fans new cheap custom shroud whatever.

Hey guys and OP. I had a 560 Ti several years ago that stopped working. Horizontal lines & couldn't play any games of course. I posted on a popular forum about baking the card and they begged me not to since I would be potentially filling up my oven with toxic materials. Not to mention the capacitors and other parts of the card could be damaged.

One individual convinced me to purchase a heatgun and just use that on the chip. First I warmed the board up for about 2 minutes with the heatgun and then i concentrated the heatgun on the GPU for 60 seconds. Let it cool for a few hours then repaste. For some reason it didn't work at first. I had it on my shelf for a month and I popped it in and it worked great.

Sadly it only lasted for about 6 months. I heatgunned it again and it worked the same day! This cycle repeated itself a total of 5 times until I bought a 1050 gtx. If you have any questions please ask.

Just to add a bit more to my post:

Heatgun was 70 dollars, arctic silver was around ten dollars. Of course youll need the right size screw driver so that's another 5-10 usd depending on where you go. If you strip the screws by mistake like I did (they are screwed VERY tightly) then you have to use a dremel tool with a steel cutting saw to make a line so you can use a flat head to unscrew it. Be careful! I've hit the PCB twice in attempting this but luckily there weren't any circuits on the portion of the pcb that got cut.

Thanks for your tale, mate!!

So you concentrated the heatgun on the GPU only?? I thought this problem was more related to the memory chips solderings...

And while the fix lasted only 6 months, it worked again 5 times over, and each time it lasted 6 months? Or did it last progressively less each time you did it again??

Did the heat gun trick stopped working eventually? or did you just bought a new board and forgot about your old one??

wow! very lucky!!
You were brave/ghetto. I like that!!
I'm glad it worked!

>It's so strange, why didn't the damned lines show on screenshots??

I just got sick of having to do it. I didn't keep a log of how long it took before the card went haywire again. I'd like to say it lasted 6 months on average. Every time I needed to do itit I concentrated the headgun nozzle on the GPU with a 1.5 inch gap in between. Of course this was after warming up the card because apparently it's good to have everything pre-heated before you heat up the GPU.

From what I remember it has to do with the solder that connects the chip to the PCB. You are essentially doing a ghetto reflow.

nigga saved his LCD TV by baking it's motherboard.
Beautiful!!!

Attached: DSCN3297.jpg (800x600, 78K)

Heatgun > baking

Hmm... very nice!!

Well, the heatsink was really dirty (cloged) and the thermal paste was very old, hard and dry.
Now my temps are way lower. Should have done the maintenance sooner...

But... I haven't gamed in a while, and occasionaly when I did, it was just emulators or retro games that barely made it to the 50% GPU utilisation mark. And this triple fan "windforce" desing is pretty nice, the temps were never above 70°C when on 99% GPU utilization. I don't know why did this happen now. At first I thought it was all the dirt creating micro electrical bridges in my board, but I don't know...

Another thing, I was afraid of using an electrically conductive thermal compound because the gpu has electrical contacts exposed on it's face

Attached: amd_-_gpu_tahiti.jpg (620x586, 125K)

My idle temps went from 40 ~ 45°C to 30 ~ 35°C (Ambient 20 ~ 25°C)

I baked my PS3 60GB... TWICE
3 extra years of gaming.

I used to repair broken ones I bought from ebay to resell. They all red-ringed again anywhere from days to weeks after (only one never had a claim)

Hold on to your butts.

Attached: AgAu0.jpg (1680x1050, 442K)

Attached: GSIXv.jpg (1000x750, 205K)

Attached: PfLq1.jpg (1000x750, 188K)

Attached: piBim.jpg (1000x750, 174K)

wha-why!?

bump
this thread is classic Jow Forumsuro

is this real?? did someone really fix their macbook directly with a burning fire!? It cannot be!
And why not just use the oven?

That oven looks absolutely filthy.

I fixed my 560ti with oven trick and I sold it as "barely used". I can't remember the temperature, but was something around 200°C. I tried it with an old motherboard too, just for testing, but I failed, melting parts of it...

Attached: breath_2.jpg (602x453, 42K)