Jow Forums recommends this 40 years old book to anyone wanting to learn C

>Jow Forums recommends this 40 years old book to anyone wanting to learn C
>40 years old book
>book
This is a meme to trip newfags

Attached: 01311036281.jpg (494x651, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

publications.gbdirect.co.uk/c_book/
beej.us/guide/bgc/
le.ac.uk/users/rjm1/cotter/
web.archive.org/web/20171226004830/https://stackoverflow.com/questions/562303/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Papers/Published/fffk-htdp-vs-sicp-journal/paper.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The C11 standard exists now. Learning anything from that book is purely for legacy familiarization.

>The C11 standard exists now.
The C standards are shit

It's a good book for beginners. You would know this if you actually read it instead of complaining on Jow Forums about it.

nobody uses c11

>/sci/ recommends this 47 years old book to anyone wanting to learn Math
>47 years old book
>book

Attached: .jpg (429x648, 16K)

It's too old, too irrelevant. Not to mention that the practices that book is teaching, although coming from the creator itself - are insecure.

C K&R start for beginners, easy exercises,still full code compile to most modern compilers, many algorithms,hardware,numerical methods or OS book had C code.

t. basement dwellers who have never been paid to write C
how are those fizzbuzzes coming along?

Yeah man DUDE we should totally stop using programming languages after a couple years or so. Gotta keep up with the new stuff BRO! Because that is just EPIC! Don't be a dinosaur stuck in the past, man!

t. LARPer on Jow Forums

So Linus Torvalds is a basement dweller, then?

My dad gets paid to write fizzbuzz in C11 and he said you're full of bullshit

>/v/ recommend this 2 years old book to anyone wanting to learn C++
>2 years old book
>book

Attached: c++_cover.jpg (500x651, 141K)

Maths doesn't fucking change between generations like programming languages

Most programming concepts were established before computers even existed. The syntax of C is mostly the same since its inception.

This but unironically. There are better ways going through that like free online courses or material

Does not follow?

programming languages probably wont really change either in their respective categories either

>gets()

>Jow Forums recommends
It's actually pretty good as a beginner book though.
It lacks a little bit for new programmers (since either was written for people moving to C). But you could certainly do worse.

What book do you recommend to learn C99/C89 op?

No your

fucking millennials....

Not op, but newbie. Why learn older versions of C over newer versions?

So resourceful...

>What book do you recommend to learn C99/C89 op?
Loaded question, I would never ever recommend a newbie something outdated like C89

it's not that much of a breaking change, besides C&H is probably the best C foundation you can get. if you knew ES5 you could still do ES6 compliant code, there'd just be new things in the language to check out

Wow schooled, I'm glad I deleted my post.

but C89/C99 compiles and runs on pretty much everything
and is a widely implemented standard on pretty much every C compiler even the shitty ones
pretty much every large C project is using C89 or C99 and can't think of any large C projects that strictly adhere to the C11 standard

sorry it doesn't have 40 years of abstractions (read: mistakes) on top of the hardware that in the end are just syntatical sugar for what
just ends up as machine code.

Attached: 1530129011174.png (404x404, 118K)

Because the difference is trivial. You'll judt learn the differences woth practice.

>I appreciate you arguing for the sake of arguing. Feel free to swear some as well, as I did, as it reduces blood pressure in the long run. Because your agument's still inane.
I reposted your shit post for you since you didn't have a real argument.

Books are the worst way to learn programming. Videos are much better. That way you can choose between the endless grainy whiteboard videos that go 'hello okay, this is rajesh, today i will be teaching you of the C programming language' or the few good but incredibly annoying videos 'yooooo welcome back to my channel today we're going to look at C but first hit like and subscribe for more content, now a message from my sponsor'

At least Rajesh can answer your questions while Kerrigan is fucking dead

I pity the noob.
Because they're very often what's used. I was just consulting on a project where practice was to not use declare anywhere. It's true that they were using a compiler capable of later standards but they didn't want to change. These things need to happen by process and usually nobody really bothers.
C11 is also quite strongly disliked for many reasons. Attitude to _s functions, VLAs being gone (have fun with __STDC_NO_VLA__). But mostly I think it's a conservative approach that's so common in the industry that leads relatively incremental changes to be ignored. As mentioned we're not talking about just moving between C99 or C11, C89 is common.

I personally would like declare anywhere though.

>books are the worst
>the few good videos that start with 'yoooo welcome back'
Is this post a joke?

Usually videos don't even come with exercises I'm pretty sure.

What book would you recommend then?

well for starters, the jump from C89 to C11 isn't nearly like say, the jump from C++98 to C++17
there are changes, but a lot of it isn't terribly major, very little of it is stuff you'll really need to deal with as a new C programmer

See

Defensive programming is applied in most irrelevant places, and as such is a symptom of a disease.

If you understand where programming has come from, you'll have a better idea of where it is heading today.

I can understand not giving a fuck entirely but being fussy about C compilers and then not writing your own compiler is abhorrently nigger tier disgusting

Nope. K&R is one of the best programming books ever written.
>it's fast pased
>good examples
>good exercises
But if you want a book that has C11 stuff, just read C Primer Plus by Stephen Prata (pls note that his c++ book is heavily c-style)

Attached: rms2.png (414x225, 128K)

What does the R in K&R stand for>???? And who is that????

this one ain't half bad desu.
Too few C++ books include projects

>tfw reading 'Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective' because I heard it was a good introduction to C and just good knowledge to have in general
>Plan to read K&R after it
>mfw CS:APP says that it is recommended to have some C knowledge before reading

Attached: 1494960632114.jpg (203x203, 9K)

C11 didn't add much, intro book should not cover multi-threading and concurrency anyway (plus they already existed, just not standardized), function overloading is meh and if you need to care about alignment then you should already know what you are doing. It's nowhere near the volume and game-changer the new C++ standards present.

I wish I had enough will to go back to beginner C books to make some opinion on them and what to recommend, possible replacements:
- C Modern Approach by King, this one is good for sure
- C Primer Plus by Prata
- The C Book publications.gbdirect.co.uk/c_book/
- Learn C The Hard Way
- Programming in C by Kochan
- The Practice of Programming by Pike & Kernighan
- Beej's Guide to C Programming beej.us/guide/bgc/
- A Book on C by Kelley & Pohl
- Introduction to C Programming by Uni of Leicester le.ac.uk/users/rjm1/cotter/

here is a good C books overview I've saved months ago, apparently even StackOverflow removes old threads
web.archive.org/web/20171226004830/https://stackoverflow.com/questions/562303/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

TAOCP is still good
SICP is still good
C Book hasn't aged too well.

>SICP is still good
HtDP is the new shit

Attached: htdp.gif (419x500, 96K)

I have this coming in the mail.
Also going to read all the Little Schemer, Seasoned Schemer , The Reasoned Scheme etc books.

All of modern math was invented in the last 250 years.

This!

HtDP has nothing on SICP.
It's OK for beginners, but SICP is a differnt beast, if only for it's depths and the math.

Also this. Little Schemer and the others are a lot of fun and very well written.

If you really get into Scheme for a year and then go back to programming in something like JavaScript or Python you'll notice that your programming will be pretty differnt afterwards. Even if you don't use recursion and lambdas everywhere, Scheme makes you think a lot about what actually happens in your programm logic.

K&R is not bad for total newbies, it explains the basics ("what are while-loops", "how to format output") pretty good.

But it'äs annoying that a lot of C libraries used in that book are not ideomatic contemporary C. For example a simple task like reading in two numbers from teh command line can be done in many differnt way in C - and unfortunately many of the possible ways are deprecated and dangerous.

C is not a good language for beginners, after all.

>It's OK for beginners, but SICP is a differnt beast, if only for it's depths and the math.
Yea, I'll get to SICP eventually.

cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Papers/Published/fffk-htdp-vs-sicp-journal/paper.pdf

A reminder that:
>Jow Forums unironically recommends a 40 year old language
>Jow Forums unironically recommends a 40 year OS
>Jow Forums unironically recommends a 40 year editor

Bunch of fucking boomers

Attached: 1530504389626.jpg (800x712, 98K)

This but unironically. Youre better off learning JS

Almost every job on the market is JS in my area. Even backend jobs are JS now. You'd be an idiot to waste time on C or C++. It's fine to have toy projects in less useful languages like C but Jow Forums pretends it's a super serious popular language for employment. It's not.