Upgrading to Windows 10?

Veteran Windows 7 user here.
About to upgrade my config soon, I am also wondering if I should move to Windows 10 as well.

Realistically, what are the benefits and cons for me to do such a thing? Regarding overall performance, booting time etc.

PS: I have no intent to use Cortana or other fancy features of W10

Attached: Windows10_01ea.jpg (620x330, 6K)

Upgrading to W10 was the best decision of my life.

Upgrading to W10 was the worse decision of my life.

Upgrading to W10 had no effect on my life.

Cortana isn't even available in my country, I want a refund.

When I thought I installed Windows 10 I actually ended up installing Gentoo.

>>>>>>>>>upgrade

There is unironically no difference between 7 and 10.

What is UWP

does it make any difference to the user? No

7 is a finished product

Bluepilled answer

>About to upgrade my config soon
As in new hardware?

If so, yes I highly recommend getting win10, before you have to fiddle with custom drivers or some shit to get the new hardware running.

Honestly it runs smooth as fuck, no errors, no incompatibility with old stuff (yet), everything alright.
Just get shutup10 or win10privacy to remove the ad shit and make it your bitch, works like a charm afterwards.

>Adult requests
Sorry kiddo, I'm gonna stay here

Don't, get ReactOS when Win7 support gets dropped

New games will only run on w10 in a couple of years

Unlikely, unless they make their game DX12 exclusive. But devs are retards if they do that since Vulkan is better

I've upgraded from WIN7 to WIN10 several times over the past few years on my main rig.

The first time, I immediately upgraded back to win7 after a few hours after doing some benchmark tests on applications and games i mainly play. They ran terribly. You couldn't disable any of the xbox shit or their dvr shit without an xbox account and you couldn't disable area which they renamed/merged with dwm.

the other times where i tried windows 10 again, i've always upgraded back to windows 7 on my main machine after doing some benchmarks.

theres really no significat performance improvement with a tweaked windows 10 vs a tweaked windows 7.

i'm running windows 10 on my other computers mainly because i dont care as much and don't use them as often.

the only real improvement from 7 to 10 is qol improvements. but expect any kind of advertised performance improvements to not exist or even be worse as time goes on and microsoft keeps adding bloated shovelware into win 10 that you cant remove even in the powershell

stick with 7. 10 is shit. drop windows when they drop support for 7

Attached: 1529504749611.jpg (1365x2048, 376K)

I've tried it a few times since launch and only now I would say it's tolerable. Seems to work fine, however comes with a tonne of bloat that needs to be turned off. Windows update is like playing Russian Roulette with what will break this time but that can be disabled. Telemetry is still the big issue here. Personally, I will stick with 7 until 2020 then either look into LTSC 2019 and dual boot Linux as I need windows for work / some gaymen.

After a few years of switching between every OS out there (not literally, I cannot just go and try every distro or it would never end) and trying a clean installation of every big feature update on W10 I would say that it doesn't really matter that much. In terms of performance you're getting about the same shit. Boot times are lower, but not as low as 8.1. In fact, 8.1 is marginally better than both 7 in 10 with the only flaw being a replaceable start menu and a lack of support for W10 apps which you sure don't seem to need (along with more support for updates and stability).

I use 10 because I initially was going to pirate some W10 only game, but then my GPU died so now I'm stuck with integrated graphics. I haven't tested it out on W7 or 8.1, but so far with W10 it's giving no problems and performing rather well. Not sure how Intel works on hackintosh, linux distros or 7 or 8.1, but regarding AMD there was barely any difference between Windows versions.

Halo infinite will be w10 only, and theres more to come

if you play games stay on 7, if you don't upgrade to a KDE distro

>Halo
Garbage.

>the good
Better performance
>the bad
shittier start menu
worse UI/theme
buggier updates that could brick your system depending on what software you have installed
A lot more spyware

No, at worst win 8.1 will be the last windows supported. W7 still has well over 1/3 market share, and 32% on steam. It'd be retarded dropping support for such a large user base especially when Mac and Linux combined have less than 4% market share. So w7 won't be abandoned by most game devs until it drops below 10% market share.

>this one game MADE BY Microsoft will be locked to the latest OS
No shit. It's irrelevant and Microsoft can't make a good game.

>better perfrmance
(citation needed)
in fact I've noticed a severe drop in performance and responsiveness compared to 7
benchmarks also show 0 improvement apart from boot times and that's only because 10 doesn't really shut down

>a new game that runs with never seen before technology doesnt matter that will be locked to w10 because it's garbage
The state of g

>halo games aren't garbage
Are you 8?

I never said if it's good or not, im saying new games will start benefiting more from w10 but you are too illiterate to understand.

>benefit from w10
In what way? Be bottlenecked by constant telemetry?

Most of the exclusive IPs microsoft owns they've (thankfully) run ashore.
M$ will have to pay people to use DX12.
Any decent new titles are gonna go for Vulkan or multi render at the very least because holy fuck, it's sleek, and portable.

Plus Vulkan games run perfectly in wine day 1 as well, so even if it's not ported there's a damn good shot at it working without doing a single thing.

Wine devs are also working on a DXVK-like dll for DX12, so we're gonna see more crazy performance and DX12 games in a year or two running directly on wine.

All because microsoft open sourced their DX shader stuff... What a time to be alive.

Attached: ExZGlKI.jpg (500x375, 27K)

No, by bottlenecking your brain with the tinfoil hat you wear.

>I have no intent to use Cortana or other fancy features of W10
thats tough fucking shit then, you'll use them and you'll like it

>windows now comes packaged with adware
LMAO

Attached: 1496737361393.jpg (638x5176, 968K)

If you wanna have a BSOD every 10min then go for it my dude

it'd be better to stock with windows 7 or windows server 2008 R2

case closed, it's a fucking shitpile, what other convincing do you need

Yes new hardware, with the intent to be able to play upcoming games in 2019.

I went for the AMD Ryzen 2700X especially because it doesnt force you to run Windows 10 unlike the 7th and 8th generation of Intel's CPU.

So atleast if I decide to move to Windows 10 it'd be a choice not a constraint.

>Hi Jow Forums i'm straight but i wanna be fucked hard by gays that have HIV
the question
this

long time 7 user. was on 7 since the day it released until about a month ago when i started a fresh win10. there are a few things bad about 10 such as forced updates, cortana, a few other design choices and possibly hardware incompatibilities (driver issues, i didn't experience any), but overall it is a decent OS. i find it to be slightly more responsive than 7, it boots up from off and sleep much much faster and i'm honestly enjoying using it. there are a few software issues i ran into however. i've found a few games i owned that i wanted to run just don't want to run on windows 10.

if you end up not liking it, you can always just format your OS drive and reinstall 7.

also the new task manager is superior. start menu is ass though.

Attached: IG.png (540x376, 435K)

it's not the cpu rather it's the motherboard manufacturers using chips which don't have windows 7 compatible drivers, but yes. It's a shitfire.

How did you install your 2700x with win7? I think my usb flash drive was too big/new and no matter what drivers I slipstreamed the install would constantly yell at me about fucking usb drivers and not go through. I'm using an asus vii hero fwiw

Don't do it, it's shit.

I hate playing settings bingo on my w10 laptop. My desktop will get 8.1 with classic shell when 7 extended support ends.

This
"The only thing I can see is the user experience and don't care about how efficiently the OS manage stuff I don't understand"
-Everyone still on WinShit 7

>can't get over the Aero interface and don't care about efficiency

If I upgrade my PC my choice would rather by to (ab)use Win7 for as long as possible or to switch to Linux. Win10 I wouldn't even touch if it was handed to me for free (it was !).

There've been repeated reports of things not functioning that functioned with other Win OS and Systems breaking and downright refusing to boot after Win10 "updates". The last thing I want or need in my life is something making it worse and that is Win10.

i have found that it crashes WAY more that windows 7 and so have my friends. it's not worth it to upgrade for the average user. you should stick with windows 7 until it's no longer supported (2020). it might be worth checking out different operating systems for you - look up a tutorial on how to install linux or some other type of os on virtualbox (it's simple).

>shittier start menu
>worse UI/theme
That's subjective

>buggier updates that could brick your system depending on what software you have installed
I did not hear about software installed, but I know some hardware can cause issue. You can easily rollback tho and wait for fix. At least you get the update and there's no infinite loop like in Windows 7.
If you want to talk about broken OS, Win 7 is more fragile and you can't separate yourself from a recovery drive, because it can rarely recover itself.

>A lot more spyware
You might as well go on gnu/linux if you want to bring that up

If only Microsoft could had sell his software and OS instead of adding ads. Oh wait! That's what they did and almost everyone were pirating that shit.

Attached: 26857029_1753204021409853_1167237653_n.jpg (544x572, 33K)

>Win7 is more fragile than Win 10
you're saying that cause you can't downgrade top kek

>new task manager is superior
absolute state of Jow Forums

inb4 "lol he deleted it"
I already said it In a other post.
I won't go back to Windows 7 ever. There's no fucking reason to stay on that crap. If you can't get over your glassy interface it's your problem.

that's what x.org thinks too

>I won't go back to Windows 7 ever.
literally because you don't know how to reinstall windows 7

>literally because you don't know how to reinstall windows 7
>reinstall windows 7
Literally never had it on the computer I use now and it's good thing

Attached: 1508352293247.png (323x241, 90K)

>I did not hear about software installed
Some AV software bricked computers due to incompatibility with several win10 updates.

Win10 works and I disabled all the bullshit, but I had to disable updating to prevent any more bullshit from being snuck into my system. If I'm not getting security updates I might as well run 7, so if my hard drive ever craps out the new install would be 7 or Debian.

Get the Enterprise LTSB version

Learn to shit in a fucking toilet, Pajeet.

Attached: 1450157398254.jpg (498x738, 58K)

Windows 10 hate threads every day its getting tedious..

> Veteran Windows 7 user

> what are the benefits and cons for me to do such a thing?

You’re a stupid brainlet windows user, too stupid to understand what windows upgrades are about.

>gaylo
Combat Evolved is all anyone needs to play. Otherwise, don't even bother.