Gamedev is fun

>gamedev is fun
>gamedev is the best job ever
>gamedev is easy

Attached: 1234.jpg (500x486, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gamedev.stackexchange.com/a/51312
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nobody said that. In my faculty gamedev courses have the highest dropout rate.

Attached: Steve_Wozniak_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg (2068x2764, 2.26M)

>playing games is the same as making them
Spotted the ignoramus

that image is a fine example of "grass is always greener on the other side"

Not when you realize gamedev is a superset of all others and can be seamlessly blended with ANY field of study.

Game dev is objectively the worst field a programmer can enter into. In the time it took me to write this, an entire game studio has been laid off.

This chart makes no sense at all. The more skill it requires, the longer it takes? This sounds dumb as fuck.

The pay is shit for the skill required. Also, most game companies work their employees to the bone. No thanks.

Why wouldn't I just work in finance and earn three or four times as much for a tenth of the effort?

I don't think you understand charts very well

>In my faculty gamedev courses have the highest dropout rate.
Do you know why?

if you went to university you'd know that they teach you a bit about every field there. it's not like you use everything you're being taught by yourself but it is supposed to give you foundation for further studies of field that you choose. ever beaten a game and watched credits? game development involves huge teams and if you're too dumb to realize that you can't make uber kewl cod clone by yourself then i pitty you.

I think this chart means that even substandard game devs get worked to the bone.

Do you? The chart clearly indicates that the skill required goes up the longer you spend developing. That makes no sense at all. You can't even measure difficulty of something like that.

>he thinks starting a compiler project and finishing it are the same thing
Oh, user...

Attached: 19534077_114391852507928_3281591873000439808_n.jpg (480x480, 52K)

>implying the end is arbitrarily more difficult than the start
>disregarding that simply certain parts of the project will require more skill than others, and this doesn't necessarily mean the end
Difficulty isn't linear and shouldn't be measured in a graph that way. It's beyond retarded.

Depends really what you do and in what scale your projects are. I can work with DirectX and Vulkan, make engines from very simple ones to maintenance of professional ones, but I'm not only really bad at game design, I can't model, create nice sprites, textures, scenes, etc. I learned a lot of stuff from people who I worked with, but being a game dev usually means to kinda know everything about anything, constantly learn and adopt new technologies and procedures. Luckily, that's why there are teams, because we all know something but each one of us specialize on different areas in game development, but it's definitely not easy. I'm not even underestimating work of artists in game dev studios.

Mainly the programming component that does them in. They have to learn like 10 languages, and program from assembly to the UI/UX themselves.

Compiler dev:
>team of compiler devs
Security dev:
>team of security devs
Driver dev:
>team of driver devs
Game dev:
>team of programmers from 27 different fields, testers, architects, historians, philosophers, psychologists, archaeologists, geologist, astrologists, astronomists, novel writers, voice actors, polyglots, motion capture guys, paintball guys, dog trainers, impressionist artists and professional flute players

Take your pick

This.
Get a good stable job and if you really want to make a game in your spare time, or save up and spend it to create a game. Never join a game dev company ever.

>vulkan

Attached: 1527777898096.png (840x560, 2.29M)

Especially not big AAA companies. That'll suck the soul right out of you.

Those curves aren't linear, user.

Just what are you smoking

Nice bias

It's not that hard. If you are developer who works with DirectX, Vulkan is very similar in certain aspects. I don't know about OpenGL, so I can't say which one is hardest but I agree that Vulkan should be documented better and I'm surprised it still isn't.

Driver dev is clearly linear, in case you missed that one. The others aren't necessarily linear, but there's very little exponential about them anyway, might as well consider them linear progression.
You're being retarded on purpose because you don't have a point.

You also need that one guy that's totally weird and useless but you keep him around just to bounce idea off of

He's right though. Game dev is more multidisciplinary than the other fields stated

lying is a sin user

Clearly any project gets more complex as time goes on and the skill required increases.

Besides that, the OP graph is a joke, it's not meant to be taken literally.

For C++ novice maybe, but trust me, I'm really not sure if D3D12 isn't more retarded than Vulkan.

No, it's because they're gamers and, therefore, morons.

DX12 was only made to validate Windows 10's existence so it's really not surprising

Awww, is unity "2 hard 4 u"?
LMAO brainlet

>unity
Real game devs reinvent the atoms themselves

This.
Good at playing games! = good at making games

is that before or after they get laid off?

How do I get the motivation to work on game

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1680x1048, 294K)

No they fucking dont. Go look at a sample carriculum for a 4 year degree.

>using 3rd party tool and being in mercy of some retarded pajeet on their forums if something goes wrong
>can't optimize shit because you get editor, not source code
Do you think anybody takes "unity game devs" seriously?

You're really out of touch if you think game developers give two fucks about optimization. Unity development has exploded. The engine is cheap to try out and if you're an actual developer you can buy actual support for it. The days of every developer having their own AAA engine are long since gone.

Now find a good Unity game.

Yeah, I thought so.

playing games is the same as making them

hahaha, this was actually funny post. I hope you are not taking yourself seriously that much.

Unpopular opinion of the week, #862

Game dev is hard, long and often soul crushing. This is one of the professions where you have all kinds of shit from programming and gave design to art and music creation, doing it alone is time consuming and only suits small games and doing it in team means you need to have coordination skills. It’s funny how what lots of kids flock have lots of parts that can fail.

>most widely used OS is windows
>most widely used mobile phone is iPhone

Yeah, great argument.

>Implying people want good games and value quality development

Cities Skylines, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, Kerbal Space Program

Name 1(one) decent game make with a custom engine that was
>released on 6 different platforms
>isn't a puzzle game
>was made between 2006 and 2010
>isn't part of a franchise
>don't use xml
>was created by a north american team, canceled and redeveloped by eastern europeans
>has a cult following in portugal
>where the title start with a G and end with a V
I'll be waiting you have one hour.

Cities Skylines run like shit because it's made in Unity. About game design, we can argue if it's good or not, but that is just personal preference, but truth is it runs like crap.

That's just because people who'd join gamedev courses are retards

GTA V

wrong, it has no xml cult following.
you should know that.

This will be some bullshit like minesweeper or something like that

they teach history, philosophy, archaeology, geology, astrology, astronomy, literature, acting, languages, veterinary and music at game dev school? sign me the fuck up!

Yeah it runs like shit, but devs no longer care about optimizations. Moreover, it was made by a 13 person studio. Which perfectly demonstrates Unities business strategy.

>Besides that, the OP graph is a joke, it's not meant to be taken literally.

Oooooh. Thanks for clearing that up, user.

In digipen they do.

Plan everything out. Think of how it needs to be structured. Don't just jump into it.

>Catalog
any book/tutorial recommandations for directx11 ?

you actually went to that meme university?

Gamedevs are shit. They can't write performant system even if you tell them how, in great detail.
t. fintech senior that recently had to get dozen of people fired for underperforming - mostly with AAA gamedev background

>fintech
I hope this is what i think it is or else i'm gonna be very disappointed.

Attached: 1530294321392.png (351x395, 31K)

No clue, I do DirectX from version 8-9.0 and currently 11 and 12 but it wasn't like I had to learn if from scratch, it was long time ago.There must be a lot of good tutorials on youtube or somewhere that will at least show you the absolute basics of how to initialize it and do some basic things. Braynzar has good tutorials for DX (which I used as resources when I was learning more about DX11), google his website but he put all code to one file which is cancer. HLSL is similar to that one used by OpenGL and Vulkan, so that shouldn't be big problem when it comes to shaders.

Oh yes and also, get used to unironically using MSDN documentation. Most things you need are there also.

> i t ' s
> e a s y
> t o
> m a k e
> c o m p i l e r s

HFT platform for one of the biggest hedge funds. Soft-realtime with strict latency requirements, lots of C++, Haskell, asm, VHDL depending on which part you work on. Gamedevs were shit at each possible position so they had to go.

this, based poster

This.

Because it's completely different thing. Just because you work as AAA dev it doesn't necessarily always mean you are top C++ developer suited for this kind of work. C++ is versatile and I guess methods and structure of programming might be different but if they failed in even most simple tasks, that would really show the state of AAA games.

Yeah but what about peoples of mongolian heritage?
Joking aside how do you land a job into that field? Anything you need to know beyond shit's realtime yo?

Attached: 1506943051925.png (253x199, 6K)

Compilers are trivial. You can learn how to make from one retarded Coursera class.

Your lifelong dream is being a game dev. You have two job offers:

>Work on video games for $60,000 a year
>Work on educational software for $150,000 a year

Which one do you pick? Why?

Attached: rouge_innocent.png (317x303, 102K)

Second, then spend all my free time working on my own game

Hmm $60,000 is more than $0 no?

arigato user-kun

This is correct answer.

Everyone and their dog wants to get into game dev because it's "fun" and they like playing the vidya. That will always drive the salaries way down. Choose the more lucrative option.

Thats me. Can i get a hire please?

We have people with webdev background that do better after 4 month in training than these gamedevs who worked in AAA studios. Gamedevs are the most incompetent bunch of suckers i've ever had to deal with, cocky at that. No way a guy that designed the system that produced over 20 papers on distributed algorithms alone knows more about distributed systems than them - they implemented an asset baking system that ran on 2 CLUSTERS (and took a week to transform 6TB into 20GB).
Depends on what you want to work on. If you want to design such system, you need 10-15 years of experience in one of the industry leading companies, alternatively a PhD where you worked on distributed systems. If you want a code monkey job implementing stuff we shit out, 5 years experience in language and at least some idea about architectures we use for entry-level stuff, alternatively 2 years experience and master's thesis on something related.
I first started working as a quant here after master's in applied math (thesis was on sigma-porous sets, so not even stats), but then got slowly swallowed by the CS side and transferred officially when we started working on our HFT system.

This xD

second option, obviously, not just for the money but because educational software is often trivial (from programming perspective), way overpriced and overvalued for what it is and isn't held up to a standard as high as video games

I mean, what's the worst case scenario? Make a "drag correct word into sentence" minigame with some voice samples and a quiz at the end? How hard could it be?

>I mean, what's the worst case scenario?
Some futuristic tutoring system involving virtual reality and machine learning.

Thought the same. But then I saw the "skill required" on the y axis and laughed at the idiot who made the pic.

If you see all the shit that appears on Steam and Android I fear that 90% of the devs for consumers never make any profit.

You're correct, but what you don't see is the thousands of games that were never finished in the first place.

Simply shipping a product is seen as a genuine achievement in the game industry.

If only they'd spend just as much time on marketing so they havent worked for nothing.

Do you work in gamedev?

because gamedev courses attract people who doesn't know what they are getting into, once they realize most of it will be debugging they quit

just make it in haskell

Game programmers are the best programmers. You need to do everything, all the simulation and drawing, in 6 milliseconds to update a 144Hz monitor.

Most programmers think their program stalling for a half a second to open a menu is acceptable. This is why the rest of the software industry, outside DSP and realtime systems, is shit.

Attached: 1530302960728.png (1920x1080, 1.29M)

This user knows

Can someone tell me how do you code physics engine into a gpu in Vulkan without bottlenecking it?

Cuphead

Yes but let's be honest, not every game programmer is capable of doing things best he can. Often it's up to project manager or game designer, when he/she says, yeah, that's good enough even though you are going insane because you know how to make it work better but they won't give you resources to do it. Also if you are programmer, you know that sometimes people we fight with most are the artists because there is pressure from above on them to make game look super detailed etc. and we are then raped because we have to care about performance and optimization. Best way like many anons said before is to either develop games on your own if you have resources for that or make small team/studio.

Rimworld

Frostbite 1 and 2 were good in Battlefield

gamedev.stackexchange.com/a/51312

Is gamedev really that bad? That's the only field I wanted to get into after school other than AI

Attached: 1530161003387.jpg (422x420, 41K)

>Is gamedev really that bad
It's worse. But join us anyway, we need AI people.